LIVE CHAT WITH STEVE FLESCH! Wednesday, Jan 4, 4PM ET!

HipCheck

[quote name='mikpga' timestamp='1325711416' post='4028547']
Welcome from Cincinnati.

Just working at Meadow Links & Golf Academy, and spending time on www.golfwrx.com!

Griffin, you hung out with a few of us down at the Cincinnati Golf Show a few years back! How's the game coming along?
[/quote]

Griff's game is coming along very nicely. Unfortunately he got some of his Dad's genetics in the "lack of patience" department. we'll be working on that this spring and summer!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Southpaw444' timestamp='1325712836' post='4028735']
[quote name='ram01002' timestamp='1325711201' post='4028517']
Best of luck next year! What is the one thing you wished you would have known (golf related) 15 years ago that you know now?
[/quote]

Good thought provoking question....wow........

i SHOULD stick with one set of weapons...dont constantly keep searching for the right clubs. at some point, you have to be able to know if its the Indian or the arrow. with new bats all the time, you wont know what your tendencies are as often.
[/quote]

don't tell us that :)

always disappointing when I get a new club and realize that I still suck

[quote name='chill122292' timestamp='1325711495' post='4028557']
Hi Steve thanks for answering questions!

What advice would you give a struggling college player who has not fufilled his potential. Practice facilities are not ideal and I feel as though I am the only player on the team who wants to get better. It is a tough situation for me as I love to practice. I guess my question is how can i maximize the practice time I do have in order to really get better.

Thanks again and good luck this year,

Connor
[/quote]

Try to play as many holes as you can, even if its by yourself. i grew up playing a LOT by myself because no one else wanted to play as much. set benchmarks for yourself by mimicking tournament situations.

dont let your teammates hold you back. after all, golf is an individual game and you don't need them with you for your game to progress and improve.

[quote name='sedowney' timestamp='1325712081' post='4028647']
Steve,

Thanks for answering questions and taking time for us gearheads over here. I always wonder what brought pros to golf, how did it all start?

Shane
[/quote]

My first loves were basketball and baseball. Tipping the scales at 97 lbs and 5'0'' tall in 9th grade pretty much blew my hoop dreams out of the water! With baseball, my fastball(all 52 mph of it) just wasnt passing the grade at old Covington Catholic. Loved beating the big boys on the links though! Guess it just grew from there.

[quote name='goplutus' timestamp='1325711590' post='4028575']
Can you get the Cleveland guys to make you a classic #2 35" in left for 'testing' and send it over to me after it doesnt work out for you?
[/quote]

I've been with Cleveland/ Srixon 14 of my 15 years on tour now. I cant say enough good things about the team of people they have i get to work with and how their products have afforded me the opportunity to get where I am within this difficult game. They're the BEST!

[quote name='Skaffa77' timestamp='1325712195' post='4028661']
Steve - Welcome to GolfWRX. Nice to have you here.

A few questions:

1. What's your favorite tour stops? Any particular courses or areas that you look forward to playing each year?
2. Do you have any rituals or superstitions that you follow each tournament or each round?
3. Do you have a favorite club? Which one and why?
4. Often times, you see players putting new clubs into their bags before or shortly after their release. Can you help us understand the considerations you take when switching to a new putter, ball, irons or woods? How much does contracts, incentives or manufacturer pressures play into that decision?
[/quote]

1. Northern Trust open, favorite stop...see above post

2. Wont EVER mark my ball with a dime on the green. former tour pro Ralph Landrum told me that when I was 12. Dont even know why either!

3. CG 16 2 Dot 60*. most versatile club in my bag and probably best 60* in all of golf...trust me!

4. I think you're always going to look at anything new that your manufacturer comes out with. however, in the end, you have to have the total belief that you'll play better and shoot lower scores with this new club. contrary to what you'd think, there isnt much pressure to get the new stuff into play. the sponsors want you to play well first and foremost so you're more visible on the weekend. it certainly is a bonus to them if you're on the first page of the leader board with their new sticks in the bag though!!

[quote name='rsjasonp' timestamp='1325712278' post='4028673']
Hi Steve,
Awesome of you to come answer all our crazy questions!
My question has to do with your Putter: Belly-size or Regular-size in 2012?

Thanks,
Jason P.
[/quote]

I'll probably play 25 weeks or so this year...my friends at home have set the over/under on weeks of belly at 6.5 weeks of me using a putter longer than 35". I try them all and whatever one is working Wednesday afternoon gets the start usually! Putting is ALL feel with me. Always has been. 3 of my 4 wins have been with belly and the other one I switched after round two from a blade style putter to a mallet. Good call there, I guess!

[quote name='webber' timestamp='1325712386' post='4028687']
It is probably fair to say you are one of the guys who tinkers a lot with his equipment. Do you do it to gain a competive edge, because it's fun, or because you are searching?
[/quote]

Yes, yes and YES. Its a hobby of mine and i enjoy bugging the guys at the local shop. I always feel like something can better optimize something...gain a few yards with a driver, hit it a few feet closer, putt it a little better, etc. heck, isnt that what this site is all about?!

[quote name='Southpaw444' timestamp='1325713217' post='4028779']
[quote name='sedowney' timestamp='1325712081' post='4028647']
Steve,

Thanks for answering questions and taking time for us gearheads over here. I always wonder what brought pros to golf, how did it all start?

Shane
[/quote]

My first loves were basketball and baseball. Tipping the scales at 97 lbs and 5'0'' tall in 9th grade pretty much blew my hoop dreams out of the water! With baseball, my fastball(all 52 mph of it) just wasnt passing the grade at old Covington Catholic. Loved beating the big boys on the links though! Guess it just grew from there.
[/quote]

Awesome, thanks! Best of luck in 2012! We will be rooting for ya!

Shane

[quote name='cck52' timestamp='1325713187' post='4028773']
Steve,
Wondering, if eligable, will you compete in the 2013 PGA Championship? It is at Oak Hill where Nicklaus, Trevino, Strange and other greats have won. Last time you were there you called it "A chicken-s*** golf course" are those still your thoughts?

Casey
Oak Hill member since 1990
[/quote]

Casey-- sorry about that...probably had just made a double or something and you know, it couldn't have been my fault. had to blame something else! Hope to see you at the 2013 PGA. Oak Hill is a great track, regardless of what little old me thought or said!

Hello Steve, just wanted to start off by saying thanks for giving us the opportunity to chat with you.

My question is what advice would you give someone who was trying to compete on the mini tours. How would one know that they are ready to compete in professional events? Also, what area of the game do you think is the most important when trying to play professional golf? Thanks for your time and I hope you have a great 2012.

[quote name='swirvn' timestamp='1325713964' post='4028843']
Steve, Hello from St. Augustine, Florida!

I was wondering when you travel to different tour stops do you bring multiple sets/clubs depending upon the course (i.e. grass differences and playability with wedges)?

Best of Luck this year!!!
[/quote]

I always bring a couple extra drivers, wedges and putters. Just gotta find the perfect feel each week. I've even been known to have a covert operation-break in to my house to have irons overnight'ed to me at Tour events. basically, it always revolves around the shafts for irons and woods for me. goes back to my reliance on feel in my game.

[quote name='flop2river' timestamp='1325712520' post='4028705']
Steve,

I have followed your career for a while now, and the reason for that is I Marshalled at a NIKE TOUR event in Alabama (Cherokee Ridge CC) and you came to the Par 3 and handed me a ball. It was a Strata marked with a FISH (symbol of Christianity) and I knew then you were not afraid to express your faith. I appreciated that and I still do. I just wanted to tell you that touched me to know that an athlete was not afraid for his peers and fans to know he was a man of faith. THANK YOU... And that was 20 years ago...
[/quote]

Do you still use this as your mark?

[quote name='Ping Bling' timestamp='1325714191' post='4028869']
Hello Steve, just wanted to start off by saying thanks for giving us the opportunity to chat with you.

My question is what advice would you give someone who was trying to compete on the mini tours. How would one know that they are ready to compete in professional events? Also, what area of the game do you think is the most important when trying to play professional golf? Thanks for your time and I hope you have a great 2012.
[/quote]

Mini tours are all about the quality, not quantity of events you play. they cost too much money to dump two entry fees a week. Save up and play the good events....3-4 a month and let your scores speak for themselves as to how ready you are.

you have to drive the ball well and putt the LIGHTS out of it. rest of it will fall into place.

how often to PGA players get approached by competitor sponsors for contract negotiation. Surely you've been asked by someone other than Cleveland to play their sticks. Does it happen every year? multiple times a year? and how covert is it?

Callaway Mavrik 9*
Honma 747FW 15

Honma 747UT 19*, 22*

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5-GW
Titleist SM7 54.5*
TM MG Wedge 59*
TM Spider Tour Red

Steve,
Are you a "natural" left-handed player or a right hander who happens to play golf left-handed? I'm the latter, I do everything else with my right hand, but seem to want to pick up a golf club or baseball bat or hockey stick and swing lefty.

Also, if you could magically snap your fingers and play right-handed instead of left, would you do it and why/why not?

Thanks, Ron

[quote name='Southpaw444' timestamp='1325712836' post='4028735']
[quote name='ram01002' timestamp='1325711201' post='4028517']
Best of luck next year! What is the one thing you wished you would have known (golf related) 15 years ago that you know now?
[/quote]

Good thought provoking question....wow........

i SHOULD stick with one set of weapons...dont constantly keep searching for the right clubs. at some point, you have to be able to know if its the Indian or the arrow. with new bats all the time, you wont know what your tendencies are as often.
[/quote]

Wrong forum for that advice. OEM's are shuttering over this comment for sure. :fool:

Great advice though! It has been noted here under the watchful eye of this forum that some guys on tour who were once hot, have cooled off after taking a big equipment contract with another manufacturer. Would you say even at your level that changes in equipment could be the reason for this?

PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB
Fourteen RM12 51* 55* 59* S400

[quote name='Alexxx' timestamp='1325714272' post='4028875']
Steve how important do you believe fitness is in today's world of golf? Will golf of the future be all Gary Woodland's and Dustin Johnson's?
[/quote]

i think the modern game is very dependant on it because of the premium being placed on distance and not so much accuracy. the old game it wasnt nearly as important as iron play and putting.

[quote name='aveb4life' timestamp='1325714503' post='4028893']
how often to PGA players get approached by competitor sponsors for contract negotiation. Surely you've been asked by someone other than Cleveland to play their sticks. Does it happen every year? multiple times a year? and how covert is it?
[/quote]

It doesnt happen very often. Although they are competitors of each other, I think the OEMs respect each other enough to not try and poach players in the middle of their contracts.

[quote name='visiondr' timestamp='1325714580' post='4028905']
Steve,
Are you a "natural" left-handed player or a right hander who happens to play golf left-handed? I'm the latter, I do everything else with my right hand, but seem to want to pick up a golf club or baseball bat or hockey stick and swing lefty.

Also, if you could magically snap your fingers and play right-handed instead of left, would you do it and why/why not?

Thanks, Ron
[/quote]

im about 50/50 right handed vs lefty.

i absolutely would switch to RH in a heart beat if i could to cure the occasional flinches on the greens!

[quote name='scoobydrew813' timestamp='1325714809' post='4028931']
Steve, thanks for answering everyone's questions

First: What is your "natural" or "preferred" shot shape?

Second: Will you be playing in the AT&T National at Congressional this year? I will be attending it and was wondering if you would be there.

Thanks,
Drew
[/quote]

Draw with the irons, fade with the driver. I hope to be at the AT&T but wont know for sure until the time gets a little closer. hope to see ya there!

[quote name='flavaflave' timestamp='1325714840' post='4028933']
Jermone,

How many clubs do you think you have given away or 'discarded' for misbehaving following a tournament round of golf?
[/quote]

Probably have given away a few more than the next guy....hahaha. Only because I feel the random spectator might benefit more from them than I was at the time! I also always try to give them to kids.