2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Scratch

Gxgolfer

A couple months ago, I e-mailed "Scratch Golf" that I would be in the Eugene, OR. area, and asked if it would be possible to come by the shop to check out the clubs.

As of this date I am still awaiting a reply. The clubs maybe great, but this is NOT the level of customer service I'm looking for.

A couple of months ago they were in the process of opening a new shop in TN, and I heard things were pretty hectic for them. These guys are very good to work with.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I emailed them with a question a couple weeks ago and got no response either. Perhaps the email on their website is not up to date because of the move??

Driver- Cally Mavrik SZ 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, S
3wd- Cally Flash SZ, UST ATTAS Elements, S
Hybrids- Cally Flash 18* & Apex Pro 24* Matrix HM3 95 Black Tie, S
Irons- TM 790 4-6,  TM 760 6-PW,  Steelfiber i95, S
GW- TM  770, Modus 105 S
SW/LW- Cally MD3, Modus 105 S
Putter- Cameron Futura

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I think, not sure that all of their operation is now in Chattanooga TN. I was one of the guys that helped them unload trucks and move in. They moved everything to Chattanooga is my impression. If there is anything left in Oregon it would just be a person answering the phone, their operation is in Chattanooga now.

Not 100% accurate. Tour department is now in Chattanooga.

Are these incredible wedges? Yes. With all the great press and comments they have gotten of course they are great clubs.

I received my two custom wedges last Tuesday and after playing with them over the weekend I have nothing but great things to say about the clubs and I wish I had ordered a third. But here is why I wont be placing that order any time soon-

Those wedges I received on July 14th were from an order I placed and paid for on February 10th. That's right, it took 5 months for them to send me a 56 and 60 degree wedge. In mid March I emailed them a couple of times and never got a reply. Finally I got them on the phone and they were very apologetic and said the order must have been lost and would get them to me right away (pretty understandable, lost orders can happen at any company).

The wedges come over a month later in May and they arent even the right wedges. I call Paul at Scratch, again he's very sorry, saying to just send the wrong ones back and he'll get me the right ones right away. On June 12th (again a month later) he tells me the correct wedges are going out either that day or the following Monday. About three weeks after that I still havent received the wedges and I email him to see what the story is. I never got a reply but a week later I got the wedges.

The whole experience has obviously left a very bad taste in my mouth. When you're paying $600 for two wedges you expect a higher level of customer service and a quicker delievery. The fact that I have read of similar problems from other people on this site and others really makes me wonder about the future of Scratch, which is a real shame because they do seem like good guys and have a great product. They need to learn that as a business saying sorry and then not following through is no apology at all.

I would suggest they add an additional counter to their site along with their count of how many wedges they have on various tours- An average time to fill an order. No matter how good the reviews are or how many people on tour play their wedges, Scratch will live or die based on their ability to keep their paying customers happy. On that they need to do some real work.

• 1 month later...

i wouldn't worry about service from Scratch, they've just moved their whole operation across the country while releasing two new lines of wedges, so for awhile there I don't think they could have made things any tougher on themselves.

I've always gotten quick personal responses to any emails, and any phone calls to them have been great. If they weren't able to get my info immediately they called me back very quickly.

The wedges are great and my experience with the guys at Scratch has been very good

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='eastcoastboy' post='1949275' date='Sep 14 2009, 02:13 AM']I'm thinking about getting a Scratch wedge to replace my worn down 60.04 Vokey. The Scratch website actually made me more confused. I'm curious if anybody knows what Scratch grind/etc would most closely match the 60.04 Vokey wedge? Thanks.[/quote]
One of the sweeper/slider grinds

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have Scratch wedges with C-C grooves? I am a collegiate golfer that has to switch to the new grooves soon and was wondering how the C-C grooves were working in the Scratch wedges.

[size=3]Taylormade M5- Oban Kiyoshi White 75 O5[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade M1 - Kuro Kage 70x [/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Utility 19.5 degree [/size][size=3]- C Taper Lite X[/size]
[size=3]4-PW Srixon Z765 - Modus3 125x [/size]
[size=3]King Pur Wedges 52, 56, 60[/size]
[size=3]Custom by Kia Ma Taylormade Daytona 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just my experience, but I got mine mine super quick from the factory. Ordered a custom 53( 1018) +1 degree and a custome ferrule. 3 weeks from order to my doorstep. Not bad at all and it's a sweet looking
club!!

Ping G430 Max Ventus TR Red Velocore 6R
Titleist TSR 2 3wood Tensei S

Callaway Apex UW 21 Hazardous Smoke 5.5
Mizuno MP 243 5-GW C-Taper Lite R
Mizuno S23 51

Mizuno S22 54

Edel SMS 58
Toulon Daytona StrokeLab 35"

• 3 weeks later...

Got my order in 3 weeks time on 54* and 58* 1018's. Absolutely love them. Communication with them was very good and after a minor complaint Ari got involved and got them assembled and shipped quickly.
Only problem was that they didn't cut the shafts to the proper length. Just installed them and put the grips on. So I had to cut the shafts and install new grips. After seeing/feeling the Pure grips I would have regripped them anyway.
I take the blame for the mess up on the shaft cutting. Me hurrying them too much.
But I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone, already have to a couple of people.
Now I'm considering ordering a 50* but an 8620.

I'll be a Scratch wedge player for a long time!!!

• 1 year later...

I recently ordered online my Scratch wedges. They are 8620 DS models. The first wedge was the 58*. I ordered it to my specs, 1.5" long and 1.5* upright. It came in about a week. Scratch imprinted my initials with red paint for no extra cost. The dimensions were perfect.

The wedge felt great at the range.... it was "just right" in heaviness and controllability on both full and partial shots. Though I tested Titleist Vokey SM4s and Cleveland 588s, the Scratch's just felt better to me when I hit them, and my 58* wedge on the range was just great. So I decided to go ahead and get a replacement for my beloved old Cleveland Tour 900 52* wedge...

I sent an inquiry through the Scratch website about whether it was better to bend a 53 to a 52 degree wedge, or bend the 50 to the 52. The VP emailed back with an answer (he suggested 53 to 52) and also some information on the choices, such as the ferrule colors and stamping, etc. I ordered a 53 degree wedge to my specs plus I asked it be bent 1* strong to 52*. When the wedge came, again after only a short wait, it looked very good; however, as I compared it to my other 52* wedges, it looked relatively a bit weak in the loft and I was wondering if they bent it strong enough. I also thought it wasn't as long as I'd hoped. Scratch got the length on the 58* dead solid perfect. The 52 (so I shall call it henceforth) is barely half an inch longer than my Scratch 58, and it's not as long as my other 52* wedges. Granted, I lengthened those other wedges myself and they may be a bit long, but the 52 definitely is not as long as I'd hoped.

Yesterday (7 August) I got the chance to play the wedges, playing on a par-3 course with a couple of friends. A par-3 course gives an excellent opportunity to use wedges a lot. The 58 performed brilliantly. My two fellow players oohed and ahhed at several shots that stuck within three feet of the hole (and folks, i am not claiming to be Phil Mickelson in my wedge play abilities!). The 58 felt very "natural" to swing, and I adapted to it very easily with good results. I'm sure I'll get even better with it as I play and practice more with it.

The 52 wedge did fairly well, but it was a few yards short on my full shots, which suggest that indeed it did not get bent as strongly as it needed to be. I also will have to add at least half an inch and probably a full inch of extra length to get it "just right" at the grip level. It does feel like it is at the correct lie for my height and posture (as the 58 is perfectly so), and that's the most important thing.

All in all, I felt really good with the Scratch wedges, especially that 58* gem. I'll work on the 52 to get it "just right" and just where I want it to be. Here's a couple of pics:
[attachment=1296572:WITB_ScratchWedges5258.jpg]
[attachment=1296570:WITB_ScratchWedges5258_grooves.jpg]

It's possible your OLD wedges have been bent too strong over time from hitting them. Wedges bend strong over time fairly easy especially when hitting on mats. Mine usually go about 2* strong after a year or two from hitting them. I checked my Scratch 60* after about 2.5 years of play and it was down to 57*!! Check all lofts on clubs.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='finalist' timestamp='1344486172' post='5434812']
It's possible your OLD wedges have been bent too strong over time from hitting them. Wedges bend strong over time fairly easy especially when hitting on mats. Mine usually go about 2* strong after a year or two from hitting them. I checked my Scratch 60* after about 2.5 years of play and it was down to 57*!! Check all lofts on clubs.
[/quote]

Thanks for that info, and you're absolutely right... In this case I (eyeball) compared to two different 52* wedges, one of which i didnt play very much, and the Scratch looked a bit weaker than either... I'll have it checked out; in the meantime, after I add a bit to the length and re-grip it, it'll be perfectly good for use...

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta take the bad with the good, so I feel that I must make this report: after such great success with the 58* wedge, I ordered a wedge that was 53*, bent 1.5* upright, 1* strong to 52*, and 1.5" extra length. After practicing and playing with the "52", I must say that I do not believe Scratch bent it properly or added the extra length to it. I understand the comments made earlier in this thread that used wedges can get stronger, but not only does the Scratch wedge look to my eyeballs as weaker, it does not hit to the same yardages as my other 52 degree wedges -- one of which I virtually never played (i.e. "gamed") with.

Furthermore, when I make full swings, I often catch the toe first, creating a hard shank to the right. There are two things that can and do cause that: 1)the shaft is not long enough, so I unconsciously/instinctively "reach" down for the ball, and the toe catches first, and 2) I'm swinging as if I expect the upright lie... and that upright lie is not there. When I consciously tilt my shaft down and swing more like a baseball bat... I get better contact and less shank with the club.

I got that 52 wedge very very fast, and I'm thinking one reason for it is that they did not bother to make the changes that I asked for. The 58 was made "just right" per my specs, so I don't know which is the abberation. But it is a disappointment that I'm now going to have to pay to get extra work done to make my 52 wedge right...

Been very happy with my Scratch wedges. On my second set of them with my newest set having conforming grooves. Did have some issues with getting my second set in a timely fashion but the quality of the wedges is outstanding. Only minor gripe is the switch to the Pure grips. Much prefer GP ribbed grips instead.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Confusion over 1018 forged wedges with only the "S" on the back of the club and whether they are USGA groove conforming. USGA website does not list any Scratch irons or wedges whether they are conforming or not with the exception of "1018". The list has each numbered club as non-conforming with the exception of the 60 degree wedge V-groove. Some Ebay sellers say the wedges are conforming and some say they are not and it is not clear from the markings on the club. Club markings described on the USGA website make no sense. Can anyone shed some light?

• 9 months later...

Placed my order last week and I cannot wait to get them! I play Vokey SM4 wedges now, and I must say, Scratch excels in every category.

Feel
Spin
Trajectory
EVERYTHING!

11.5* TMaG SIM 2 Driver HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60g
18* TMaG SIM 2 5 Wood Ventus Blue Stiff 59g
Scratch DD 3 Iron - TTDG S300
W/S Tour V6 Forged 4-7 - TTDG S300

W/S FG Tour 100 8-PW - TTDG S300
SM6 Black 52/56/60 - TTDG S300
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless
Ping Hoofer Lite Carry Bag
Titleist ProV1x "THRIFTY" play #33

• 3 months later...

I picked up a 60 degree and 56 new on eBay at crazy low prices so I called Scratch and orders a 52 degree head. It took me a while to figure out the different bounce and grind options but I think I got what I need.

This thread doesn't get bumped much so I will be back when the snow melts and I can get out and give these a proper workout,

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

• 2 years later...