garmin approach g6

emo

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like it, it is a good size, very bright and user friendly. It locks on super fast i even get signal in my basement.

Just got the Zagg invisibleshield screen protector from amazon today (it's for the Garmin Edge 800 but as has been stated its the same size)

I was thinking about getting the Edge silicone skin case for it but passed as I like the thin size and it will slide in and out of packets easier without the cover. The back is already rubberized anyway.

Haven't been able to play a round yet. Hopefully Friday.

[quote name='golffreaksimon' timestamp='1329965987' post='4355217']
[quote name='motofrog' timestamp='1329954042' post='4353575']
Anyone know why the garmin site has the G6 listed as not conforming toi USGA rules but the G5 is
[/quote]

I am not sure where you saw that G6 is not conforming to USGA. I check on FAQ and it shows all Approach series are compliant with USGA.

[url="https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={5d9c3850-dc26-11dd-f45b-000000000000}"]https://support.garm...b-000000000000}[/url]
[/quote]

That's good to see I was a little worried about it but I don't play in USGA competitions as I suck at the moment but I plan on getting better and like the option.

I saw it was not conforming when I compared the G6 to the G5 as seen in this link, if it works.

[url="https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=141&compareProduct=105648&compareProduct=31070"]Garmin comparison[/url]

[quote name='motofrog' timestamp='1329971246' post='4355933']
I really like it, it is a good size, very bright and user friendly. It locks on super fast i even get signal in my basement.

Just got the Zagg invisibleshield screen protector from amazon today (it's for the Garmin Edge 800 but as has been stated its the same size)

I was thinking about getting the Edge silicone skin case for it but passed as I like the thin size and it will slide in and out of packets easier without the cover. The back is already rubberized anyway.

Haven't been able to play a round yet. Hopefully Friday.
[/quote]

That's good to know. It seems like many GPS units don't show up well in bright sunlight. Sounds like the G6 may have addressed that!

Anyone try to add your own points on a course? I was thinking of upgrading from the G5 just for that purpose.

PING G430 LST 10.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 6S

Titleist TSR2 15 Tensei 1K Black 75S

Titleist TSi2 18 Ventus Velocore Red 7S

PING G430 #5 Hybrid HZRDUS RDX Red 6.0 

Artisan FC 5-7 Axiom 105S

Artisan HC 8-PW Axiom 105S

Artisan 50S and 54S Dynamic Gold S300

Vokey SM8 raw 58-12D Dynamic Gold S200

PING Custom PLD Anser X stainless/Oyster

here is where the G6 is marked as noncompliant. [url="https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=141&compareProduct=105648&compareProduct=31070"]Garmin comparision[/url] I don't think that FAQ has been updated since the G6 was released. I think the G6 is illegal and violates 14-3/16 because of the club tracking ability that was added.

[quote name='motofrog' timestamp='1329971806' post='4356011']
[quote name='golffreaksimon' timestamp='1329965987' post='4355217']
[quote name='motofrog' timestamp='1329954042' post='4353575']
Anyone know why the garmin site has the G6 listed as not conforming toi USGA rules but the G5 is
[/quote]

I am not sure where you saw that G6 is not conforming to USGA. I check on FAQ and it shows all Approach series are compliant with USGA.

[url="https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={5d9c3850-dc26-11dd-f45b-000000000000}"]https://support.garm...b-000000000000}[/url]
[/quote]

That's good to see I was a little worried about it but I don't play in USGA competitions as I suck at the moment but I plan on getting better and like the option.

I saw it was not conforming when I compared the G6 to the G5 as seen in this link, if it works.

[url="https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=141&compareProduct=105648&compareProduct=31070"]Garmin comparison[/url]
[/quote]

Can anybody expand on the scorecard aspect of the G6? I currently use Golfshot and love how it automatically uploads my stats to the website and emails out scorecards. Does the G6 save all of your stats and can they be downloaded to a computer? How does this work, do they have a program that is installed on the computer?

Basically I'm just curious about the stat tracking features compared with Golfshot. I"m contemplated either getting the Garmin S1 watch and keeping Golfshot to use as a scorecard, or just getting the G6 and losing Golfshot altogether.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='JustTheTips' timestamp='1332172363' post='4535913']
I think the G6 is illegal and violates 14-3/16 because of the club tracking ability that was added.
[/quote]

No, it is allowed if you read the decision. Yardage is public information which makes the club selection feature just like a note in a yardage book about how far you hit each club. It only becomes illegal if you tell everyone what club you are hitting.

Linkkingx, have a look at the S3...

• 2 weeks later...

Got my G6 from Amazon on Thursday and took it out today for a round. Easy to use, no problems reading the screen on a very bright day (with a 12 noon tee time, no less), and I had about 60% of battery left after the very slow 5 1/2 hour round. Accurate distances too. Just a simple, straightforward GPS that fits easily into my pocket.

bought my daugther the skycaddie to complement by bushnell. had problems with it plus it was slow screen to screen and difficult to use. returned it for garmen 6.

very compact unit that can easily clip or fit in pocket. can't wait to test on the course this week. very easy touch screens. looks very easy to use.

curious if anyone knows the accuracy of the garmens for back, middle, front green locations. heard they can be off quite a bit like all gps but haven't seen any tests. i will find out soon with my bushnell 1500 which i love, she just has problems still shooting the flags.

i went with skycadde with the thought of more expensive and more complicated so thought it should be better but in this case i think simpler and faster is better. just curious about the accuracy tests.

Question - assume because my fingers are larger with the smaller screen it takes a few seconds to move the pin to the location i want. Is there any easier / faster ways to get it more accurately like using a tee or stylus versus my finger. i recalibrated but still the same. Not saying it doesn't work just precision not as close with big fingers.

Accuracy issues are not with GPS but how accurately the courses are computed from satelite images. If the company doing the mapping is not careful, it'll put the green in wrong or measure it incorrectly. That's where 99% of the errors I've seen with GPS units come from. A golfing buddy has the G6 and except for one hole where they had the green in the wrong place, it was very accurate. And he loves it. Small easy to use, mostly very very accurate. We compared it with laser and my SGX that I know is good on a known course.

It's fast, small, easy to use with no subscription. To be honest, if I didn't already have my GPX (and have had it for years), I'd switch. It's that good. Whether it'll stand-up for long term and extensive use is another question. My buddy has gone thru 2-3 units where they just started having problems after 2-3 years. My sky caddie is several years old now with literally hundreds of rounds on it.

The garmin is an excellent choice and very very good unit.

I owned the G3 and now own the G6. It's much easier to use and not to mention the size difference. As soon as I play with it more, I'll post a review, but so far so good.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

i am going to use the garmen g6 first this weekend.

testing it outside i already like it better than my wireless skycaddie. it's just so much easier to use and its quick. my skycaddie was so slow as i changed views.

i will shoot the distance too with my bushnell and compare. just learned about a feature that not only tracks your distance but you select the club and it will store it for that club and keep your averages.

I have used my G6 for a couple rounds and am very happy with it. I had been using an original iGolf Neo (had to pay to download courses) which worked OK but the G6 is much better (color, faster, more options, etc.). The only issue is due to the touch screen. I have tried a couple carrying holsters (Bodyglove, etc.) but the sensitive touch screen changes the view whenever I put it in or take it out and I have to go back to the screen view it had when I put it in the holster. I have since gone to using the belt clip holder provided with the unit and it works fine. I always worry about the security of such a holder but it has been secure and easy to use.

The g6 for me is the best out. It's small fast and light. The sgx hasn't even been turned on since I received the Garmin. I have tested the yardage against my laser and I have only seen one error and that hole has 2 greens they switch up. I don't even worry about it anymore and haven't had any other issues with yardages +/- 1 yard. The size and weight is great and I don't feel it in my pocket while swinging which is a must.

I highly recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade.

Can anyone compare this to the UproMx? I like having the actual course shots/views in promode and wonder how the "sketches" of each hole are.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

And on the plus side I imagine it might be quicker to load and take up less battery power to process the "cartoon" sketches. I can see a lot of positives in terms of power savings by not processing the aerial photos all of the time.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I'm still using the original garmin device that they made for golf logix. i love that one. I also downloaded the golf logix app for iphone. impressed with all the scoring and tracking data, but the original garmin device is superior.

this review/thread was very helpful to me. i'm going to stick with my dinosaur like device until garmin makes a newer version.

Titleist 915 D2, Motore Speeder 661

TEE XCG-7 Beta 16.5*, Ozik Red Tie 7Q3 or TaylorMade RBZ 15* w/Ozik Red Tie 7Q3

Adams Idea A12 Hybrid (21), D+ HY92
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
Vokey Spin Mill, 50, 56 (bent to 55), 60
Odyssey Versa 90 #7 (White/Black)

love my small garmin 6. unfortunately in the middle of last round the yardages went crazy. Not even close - like 200 yards off. Turned it off then on and still the same.

Tried again this morning and still the same.

Anyone know how reboot / reset the unit so the gps gets corrected? I have full power and full gps also.

got mine today, charged it and updated all the courses so it'll be good to go on friday morning when i play, can't wait to try it out!

not sure why our units in Australia get the carabina instead of the belt clip? i guess it looks alright though

photo1.jpg?t=1335954249

A strong suggestion! Do NOT leave the device on your bag prior to teeing off on the first hole. GPS devices have a way of "growing legs" - if you know what I mean.

• 3 weeks later...

Rather than renewing my skycaddie, I jumped ship and moved to the Garmin G6. I've used it for a few rounds, and it seems good, but I'm still getting used to some of the differences.

One area that I'm hoping can be optimized is the scoring. Maybe I'm missing some config options.

1. It can score for up to 4 people. But, I typically keep only my score. If I am in a group of 4, we typically do it on a score card so all can have access to it. But, with the G6, inputting score is a two step process: select golfer then input score. Can I tell it to forget about golfers 2-4, and just go right to the score input?

2. How can I get a summary view of all all the holes in the round? Skycaddie has a nice view for this, where is will show your score on each hole, or your + / - relative to par on each hole. It also make it easy to see if I missed inputting score on a hole. On the G6, I have to scroll through each hole to see the score, there is no complete round view.

Has anyone found any better solutions to the above issues?

[quote name='todd_i' timestamp='1337560424' post='4947876']
Rather than renewing my skycaddie, I jumped ship and moved to the Garmin G6. I've used it for a few rounds, and it seems good, but I'm still getting used to some of the differences.

One area that I'm hoping can be optimized is the scoring. Maybe I'm missing some config options.

1. It can score for up to 4 people. But, I typically keep only my score. If I am in a group of 4, we typically do it on a score card so all can have access to it. But, with the G6, inputting score is a two step process: select golfer then input score. Can I tell it to forget about golfers 2-4, and just go right to the score input?

2. How can I get a summary view of all all the holes in the round? Skycaddie has a nice view for this, where is will show your score on each hole, or your + / - relative to par on each hole. It also make it easy to see if I missed inputting score on a hole. On the G6, I have to scroll through each hole to see the score, there is no complete round view.

Has anyone found any better solutions to the above issues?
[/quote]

you can view the rounds by pushing the on and off half way. let me know if help