The 10 most memorable names in golf equipment

By Seth Kerr, GolfWRX Contributor

The 10 most memorable names in golf equipment

By Seth Kerr (Cooper)

GolfWRX Contributor

Shakespeare said, "What's in a name?" Clearly, Shakespeare wasn't a golf fan, because picking a golf club based on its name is like picking a date based on her picture on a website. Wait … never mind. The fact is that most major golf club manufacturers spend millions of dollars naming and marketing of their clubs and they do so for one reason — it sells.

Brands like Titleist and Mizuno have been conservative with their club names — Titleist's 710 and 712 iron series, Mizuno's MP-53 to MP-59 iron releases. Many other manufacturers change the name of their latest drivers, irons, wedges and putters each year.

As the need to capture attention and market share has increased in recent years, the names have also become more creative and more inventive. So GolfWRX has decided to create a list of the top ten equipment names. The rules: the name has to be from a major manufacturer, the name has to be from the last 15 years and whether good or bad, the name has to be memorable.

Without further rambling, here's my top 10:

10. Titleist Kombi Putter

What Titleist lacks in creativity when naming their irons, woods, and wedges they make up for with their putter choices. "Kombi" which depending where you are in world is: 1) a battle fought in 1647 between Ndongo-Matamba (a former African state) and the Portuguese; 2) a Japanese term for comedy duo; 3) a Polish synth-pop band formed in 1976; 4) a Volkswagen van (think Woodstock) introduced in 1950 and 5) the key to Bill Haas winning the FedEx Cup. The Kombi line of putters are made from 6061 aircraft aluminum and have a three-point weighting system placing weights in the toe, heel and rear of the putter head.

9. Nike Slingshot Irons

First released in 2005, the irons gained even more acclaim with the release of the 2006 Nike OSS Slingshot. The club had a wider sole, which stopped the club from digging in the ground and helped those who tended to hit shots fat. In addition, the club had a higher MOI and deepened center of gravity, making it easier for the average golfer to get the ball in the air.

8. Srixon XXIO Impact Power Body Hot Driver

Ever heard of it? Me neither. An ode to our friends in Japan, Srixon should probably make this list for their name alone. Srixon is a leading manufacturer of tires, sporting goods and industrial products in Japan (think Bridgestone). Srixon released their first golf ball in Japan in 1930 and acquired Cleveland Golf and Never Compromise in 2007.

Released in 2005 (which is about one year before most Americans knew Srixon existed when Jim Furyk signed with Srixon in 2006), the driver featured a 405cc titanium head. Srixon may not be popular in the U.S. yet, but in 2005 the Power Body Hot Driver became the No. 1 driver in Japan, the second largest golf market in the world.

7. Cobra Trusty Rusty Wedge

While other brands keep their wedge names pretty close to the vest, Vokey, Jaws, and 588 to name a few, Cobra has gone in the other direction with the Trusty Rusty. The Trusty Rusty is a retread from the 1990s and is Cobra's first foray back in to designing wedges since breaking from Achusnet and joining Puma.

The wedge comes in three finishes, Satin, Black PVD, and Rust. All three are designed to, wait for it … rust. Each comes with a Black Dynamic Gold S200 shaft, which Cobra says will reduce glare. Proponents say the club and rust improves spin for the average golfer. No word on if Rickie will be putting a Trusty Rusty in his bag, but at least it would match his outfits on Sunday and OSU colors. From the pictures at the Humana Challenge it appears Bo Van Pelt has one in his bag.

6. Cobra Long Tom/ Long Tom Raw

Adding to their successful line of ZL drivers, in November of 2011 Cobra introduced the uh … Long Tom and Long Tom Raw. The Long Tom Raw is a limited release with only 500 made at a whopping $499 each. Named in honor of a cannon used during WWII and the Korean War, The Long Tom is 48 inches long and weighs only 269g. The face is made of Ti 8-1-1, which you probably need a degree from MIT to understand, but it's supposed to provide added distance. As of now, none of the tour pros listed on Cobra's website have put the drive in the bag.

5. Odyssey White Hot Putters

The No. 1 selling, No. 1 winning, No. 1 major-winning and No. 1 putter on the money list has to crack the list. First released in 2000, the White Hot line of putters joined Scotty Cameron and Ping as a dominant force. The White Hot 2-Ball, released in 2001, quickly became the best selling putter in the world. By 2003, fueled by a number of tour pros using their equipment, Odyssey had nearly 50 percent of the market share for putters.

4. PING CRAZ-E

Released in 2004, the CRAZ-E line of putters, the first long putter released by PING, became an instant hit and quickly became the top selling model in the U.S. within months of its release. The putters are still popular today with many players, including Webb Simpson, who has found success on tour using the G5i Crazy-E B Belly.

3. Cleveland Launcher

Cleveland released their Launcher 330cc driver in 2002. Only a year later Cleveland introduced the Launcher 460cc driver, the first 460cc driver from a major manufacturer. Vijay Singh used the driver in 2003 for four wins and 18 top-10s, edging out Tiger Woods for the money title that year. In 2004 he used a Launcher to win the PGA Championship in a three-hole playoff over Chris DiMarco and Justin Leonard.

2. Callaway Big Bertha

All right, so I cheated with this one. First released in 1991, yes 1991, Callaway, in my humble opinion started the naming craze with their Big Bertha driver and has to make the list. By the end of 1991, the Big Bertha was the number one driver on the Senior Tour, LPGA and Hogan Tour. By 1992, sales reached $133 million and by 1993 the Big Bertha was No. 1 on the PGA Tour as well.

In 2003, Callaway released the Big Bertha Titanium driver, and the 2004 Big Bertha Titanium 454 Driver was used by Dave Mobely to win the REMAX Long Drive Championship. While names like RAZR and Diablo are fine, it's time to bring back the name that launched it all for Callaway.

1. TaylorMade Rocketballz

Does it really need an explanation? At a time when new and inventive names from club manufacturers are the norm, Rocketballz stands out. According to TaylorMade, the name comes from watching Dustin Johnson hit the hybrid model during testing. He kept commenting that the ball came off the face like a rocket. The fairway woods come in at a whopping $299 for the standard version and $329 for the tour version. TaylorMade claims to provide an extra 17 yards of distance with their fairway woods. With a name like Rocketballz, it better.

There's the list. Agree, disagree, don't like the order? Let us know. Did we miss any? Leave your comments, I'll be sure to read them and respond back to as many as I can.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good list. The only others I can think of were the Wilson Killer Whale (remember when 275cc heads were classed as enormous?) and the Bobby Grace Fat Lady Swings putter... but I think both fall outside the 15 year rule.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Gu5ZRhRxo

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

[color=#1C2837][size=2][quote]by 1993 the Big Bertha was No. 1 on the PGA Tour as well.[/quote][/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]The significance of this, in my opinion, is that was the day and age when #1 was more by choice than sponsor money.[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]Big Bertha should probably be #1 in name also. I hated the thing, never bought one, but this fact is undeniable.[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]I would be curious to see a Top 10 list in the "buzz" hall of fame. A very elite list of mountains on the equipment landscape which were on the tips of tongues and (almost) everybody wanted to and did own it. I think it would include these names:[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]- Ping Eye 2 irons[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]- Taylormade Metalwood driver and fairway[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]- Tommy Armour 845 irons[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]- Callaway Big Bertha driver[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]- King Cobra oversize irons[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]Almost there, but not quite:[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]- Lynx Parrallax irons[/size][/color]
[size="2"][color="#1c2837"]- Sonartec MB hybrid[/color][/size]
[size="2"][color="#1c2837"]
[/color][/size]
[size="2"][color="#1c2837"]I may be and probably am missing others......[/color][/size]

Mizuno MP-650 10.5* Driver, Orochi Red
MP-650 3w 15*, hybrid 19*,Orochi Red S
MP-54 3-7 Nippon 1150 S
MP-5 8-PW Nippon 1150 S
MP-R12 52* and 56*, DG Spinner
T.P. Mills Softtail

Titleist 975D is the ultimate breakthrough club, Pro V1 breakthrough ball

M1 HZRDUS Black<br />SLDR 15 TS 8.3<br />X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80<br />i200 3 Modus 130<br />S55 4-PW Modus 130<br />Engage 52 56 S S400<br />Newport 1.5<br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614089-jaxbeachnole-witb-page-1/"]WITB Link[/url]

I second the the suggestion of the Bobby Grace Fat Lady sings which how I met Bobby. By the thay he is sitting 6 feet to my right. He suggested that we shouldn't forget the Zebra putter which was the dominate mallet putter of the last two generations ago!

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

Howitzer, Killer Whale, and my personal favorite, Spin Doctor, should have been on the list.

Dr. Qi10 9° w/ RDX blue 60 6.5

3 Wood. Sim2 15° and 19° w/ Diamana 82x

Ui. Callaway x forged ut 21° w/ dg120 x100

5 to PW. Mizuno MP20 MMC w/ dg120 x100

GW and SW. 50° and 54° Milled grind raw w/ dg s200

LW. Taylormade MG4 TW 60 w/ s300

Putter. Odyssey OG 7s, 33 inches

Ball. Taylormade TP5x

[quote name='zakkozuchowski' timestamp='1327533719' post='4152191']

[b][size="2"]1. TaylorMade Rocketballz[/size]
[/b]
[size="2"]Does it really need an explanation? At a time when new and inventive names from club manufacturers are the norm, Rocketballz stands out. According to TaylorMade, the name comes from watching Dustin Johnson hit the hybrid model during testing. He kept commenting that the ball came off the face like a rocket. [b]The fairway woods come in at a whopping $299 for the standard version and $329 for the tour version[/b]. TaylorMade claims to provide an extra 17 yards of distance with their fairway woods. With a name like Rocketballz, it better.[/size]

[size="2"]There's the list. Agree, disagree, don't like the order? Let us know. Did we miss any? Leave your comments, I'll be sure to read them and respond back to as many as I can.[/size]
[/quote]

that is incorrect. thats the driver price. and thats not bad considering most drivers are $400

[quote name='MarkFromTheUK' timestamp='1327538841' post='4152641']
Good list. The only others I can think of were the Wilson Killer Whale http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Gu5ZRhRxo (remember when 275cc heads were classed as enormous?) and the Bobby Grace Fat Lady Swings putter... but I think both fall outside the 15 year rule.
[/quote]

Lol, I remember this like it was yesterday. To funny...

Anser is one of the most memorable names, although that has been out since the 60's so the whole 15yrs thing doesn't apply. Same with the eye2 irons. TaylorMade burner is also one that stands out to me. But I think you should have put Big Bertha number one and taken Long Tom off the list for burner. The long tom is attempting to copy the big bertha, name it after a cannon and all, really a little dissapointing to me. Too bad they missed the 20th anniversary of the big bertha. Callaway, if you are listening, do a 25th anniversary special edition re-release of the original big bertha and maybe some new driver you can come out with at the same time. That would be really cool and would probably fly off the shelves.

Thanks to everyone for reading, I hope you enjoyed it. Special thanks to Zak for letting me write the article. Cooper is my WRX name, Seth is my real name.

Lots of good suggestions, especially the Killer Whale. I completely forgot about the Killer Whale but I think it came out in 1992, which is outside the 15 year mark. I thought about the Fat Lady but wasn't sure Bobby Grace really qualified as a major manufacturer, which isn't a knock , they make great putters.

If I was doing an all time ranking Big Bertha would have been number 1, but since it wasn't really released within the last 15 years I pushed it down to number 2. I thought about Burner too, but it was originally released more than 15 years ago and I don't think its that inventive of a name anymore. Especially, when you compare it to Rocketballz.

Boom Boom, Anser, Tight Lies were just a few that missed the cut. Anser is another one that would make the all-time list

Regarding the price of Rocketballz, $329 is the price for the TP fairway wood with the upgraded shaft.

If I had to replace one, it would be Kombi, but the story of what Kombi means is partially why it made the list. Plus with belly and long putters being all the rage, and Titleist not having many other inventive names, I kept it.

Pittsburgh Persimmon is a bit older than 15 years...

Good list, I think there are more memorable names out there than Rocketballz, I just can't think of any.....hehe

Seriously though, the Maxfli Revolution is sure a memorable name to me, and though it's not really a name so much, Pro V1 would have to stand out more than anything on this list!!! (balls are equipment too)

Taylormade M3 460 9.5*, Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60x
Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15* and 18*, Aldila Voodoo SNV8
Ping i210 4-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 105s
Ping Glide 2.0 50SS, 54WS, 58ES, DG S400 TI onyx
Scotty Cameron GoLo 3

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1212516-dsparobs-2015-bag/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...arobs-2015-bag/[/url]

[quote name='cheeks' timestamp='1327541545' post='4152899']
[color="#1C2837"][size="2"][quote]by 1993 the Big Bertha was No. 1 on the PGA Tour as well.[/quote][/size][/color]
[color="#1C2837"] [/color]
[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]The significance of this, in my opinion, is that was the day and age when #1 was more by choice than sponsor money.[/size][/color]
[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]Big Bertha should probably be #1 in name also. I hated the thing, never bought one, but this fact is undeniable.[/size][/color]
[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]I would be curious to see a Top 10 list in the "buzz" hall of fame. A very elite list of mountains on the equipment landscape which were on the tips of tongues and (almost) everybody wanted to and did own it. I think it would include these names:[/size][/color]
[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]- Ping Eye 2 irons[/size][/color]
[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]- Taylormade Metalwood driver and fairway[/size][/color]
[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]- Tommy Armour 845 irons[/size][/color]
[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]- Callaway Big Bertha driver[/size][/color]
[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]- King Cobra oversize irons[/size][/color]
[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]Almost there, but not quite:[/size][/color]
[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]- Lynx Parrallax irons[/size][/color]
[size="2"][color="#1c2837"]- Sonartec MB hybrid[/color][/size]
[size="2"] [/size]
[size="2"][color="#1c2837"]I may be and probably am missing others......[/color][/size]
[/quote]

I think the dude meant to say "wacky" names instead of just "memorable" names....... I loved the 845, but I don't think it's a wacky name LOL

Good list, but I'm surprised there's no mention of Wilson's FAT SHAFT, or Tour Edge BAZOOKA, or Powerbilt's Air Force One.

Adams Launch Lab 8* w/ Matrix 7m4 Black Tie
Adams Super LS 15* w/ Axe Xcalibur Tour
Adams CB1 3-PW w/ PX 6.0
Yururi Gekku 53, 57, & 61 w/ PX 6.0
NeverCompromise Gambler Straight