2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Mizuno and the mighty MP-59 coverage from the PGA Show.

easyyy

Interesting pics station2station. Where did they come from?

The titanium insert is absolutely the large piece in the cavity, and there is a small "shield" that covers the titanium for aesthetic reasons only.

If these pics are of a legitimate MP59, and not from a cheap Chinese counterfeit version, these pics do not absolutely prove that the titanium is epoxied to the head, rather than [u]forged[/u] into the carbon steel, as advertized.

The epoxy could simply serve to fill the gap around the insert, and/or also serve a secondary means of ensuring the titanium insert remains in place over time. I am going to give Mizuno the benefit of doubt on this, but these are interesting pics. I just can't see a reason why Mizuno would lie about the specifications for how the titanium insert is affixed to the head. That would not make sense, and Mizuno is not that type of company.

Mizuno JPX-900 | Fujikura Speeder EVO II 661
Adams Super Hybrid XTD 17*
Mizuno JPX-900 Hybrid 21*
Taylormade P790 (5-Gap)
Callaway MD3 (58, 54)
Taylormade Spider Tour

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Ugo DeRosa' timestamp='1327716893' post='4164825']
Interesting pics station2station. Where did they come from?

The titanium insert is absolutely the large piece in the cavity, and there is a small "shield" that covers the titanium for aesthetic reasons only.

If these pics are of a legitimate MP59, and not from a cheap Chinese counterfeit version, these pics do not absolutely prove that the titanium is epoxied to the head, rather than [u]forged[/u] into the carbon steel, as advertized.

The epoxy could simply serve to fill the gap around the insert, and/or also serve a secondary means of ensuring the titanium insert remains in place over time. I am going to give Mizuno the benefit of doubt on this, but these are interesting pics. I just can't see a reason why Mizuno would lie about this.
[/quote]

It's legitimate mp59 from a fitting cart. Our club fitting cart was missing it's head - misplaced - so we obtained a new one from Mizzy - we later found it in a drawer so we had a duplicate. Someone at our club decided to take the badge off to see the underneath.

Guys this isn't a rake on Mizuno. This is exactly how they did the MP-58. This isn't cheating by Miz. The product is awesome. Miz isn't hiding anything. A monkey could take the adhesive badge off. Took 2 seconds with a heat gun.

Let me add that the titanium insert could be hammered into place and then "finished" with an epoxy or gray paint. I have NO CLUE. I just posted pics of the back. Heck I didn't expect beautiful flowers to grow out when the badge was removed :)

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

Didn't mean to start an uproar, sarcasm goes along way in the forum world, I guess. Anyway, why would it matter if Mizuno uses epoxy to secure the badge along with the titanium insert into the cavity of the forged head. After all it's still a money revolving business, and it wouldn't surprise me if the forging was done in Japan, with the TI and badge epoxied into the head in China.

@therealping

[quote name='buster74' timestamp='1327595451' post='4156129']
Love my MP-59's from the first swing. I just put C-taper S+ in mine and I have finally found a setup that looks, performs, and feels what I have been looking for. I may actually have to take a break from hoe'ing.
[/quote]

+1 on this setup, doesn't get any better

Titleist 915 D4 Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
3 wood PXG 341 True Temper HZRDUS 75X
2 iron 716 TMB TTDG AMT X100
4-9 Epon AF-302 TTDG AMT ti X100
Vokey 46F, 50F, 54S, 60L TTDG ti S400
SC Circle T 009 Brushed Black Pearl 350g

The Titanium is forged into the head during the precision forging process. The mild carbon steel and Titanium have different shrinkage rates so the mild carbon steel cools faster - hugging the titanium and locking it in place. No brazing or epoxy is needed.

The badge on the other hand uses adhesive tape and Super-X glue to hold it in place. Any residue you see when taking the badge off is the Super-X glue.

The reason we use a badge is that it is extremely expensive to treat the titanium to make it look pretty. There are also very specific draft angles and rounds we have to take into account for which makes the border of the Titanium/MCS not as sharp/clean as we'd like. The badge just cleans everything up and adds some extra bling. It would never look as sexy without the badge even with the expensive treatment - plus it allowed us to do some different things with the logos.

Hope that helps clear some things up.

[quote name='stinkinhound' timestamp='1327765206' post='4166973']
The Titanium is forged into the head during the precision forging process. The mild carbon steel and Titanium have different shrinkage rates so the mild carbon steel cools faster - hugging the titanium and locking it in place. No brazing or epoxy is needed.

The badge on the other hand uses adhesive tape and Super-X glue to hold it in place. Any residue you see when taking the badge off is the Super-X glue.

The reason we use a badge is that it is extremely expensive to treat the titanium to make it look pretty. There are also very specific draft angles and rounds we have to take into account for which makes the border of the Titanium/MCS not as sharp/clean as we'd like. The badge just cleans everything up and adds some extra bling. It would never look as sexy without the badge even with the expensive treatment - plus it allowed us to do some different things with the logos.

Hope that helps clear some things up.
[/quote]

Understood - the badge isn't going to come off in everyday play - we had to use heat to remove it. And the badge does not have any plastic clear coat to it - it is polished metal - the heat we used to remove it didn't melt anything except the adhesive.

Never any cries of foul. I simply posted the pics for technology sake. The Titanium piece is def in there and isn't coming out. There is a ring of milky gray paint around the boarder of the insert which gives the illusion of epoxy. We were able to scratch that off and see that the insert is metal to metal with the carbon steel. (a new finding- didn't notice it initially.)

Again - that insert IS NOT COMING OUT. We tried with a propane torch for 5 minutes. You cannot even slide a razor blade between the two metals. It is certainly forged in there as you mention.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

Really seems like it's going to come between these, the S56s and i20s for me! Really looking forward to trying them side-by-side!

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD DS72 34.5"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1327716828' post='4164817']
[quote name='pdaero' timestamp='1327716413' post='4164783']
[quote name='Mizzy23' timestamp='1327714163' post='4164621']
[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1327710171' post='4164383']
Under the hood. This titanium piece is epoxied into the forged Mizuno head. If you enlarge the below shots you will see the clear milky epoxy border around the insert....fwiw.
[/quote]
So what your saying is? That the titanium is not forged into the head as advertised, but rather epoxied in.
[/quote]

As far as I know, the titanium piece is the hunk of metal in the center of the club, not the badge. That's just for show as titanium isn't very shiny!
[/quote]

Exactly - No foul by Mizuno. Titanium is not a pretty metal.
[/quote]

ready to take my newly delivered mp59's to the course. I hit about two large buckets of balls with my new irons. It was such a huge difference from my burner 2.0's. dynalite xp shaft and 1 degree strong. perfect flight, little more distance, and I actually feel like i can move the ball to exactly where i want it to go. (give or take 7 yds.) I don't know why i ever left mizuno, but i do know these clubs are my pride and joy. thanks mizuno!

[quote name='eldog-in-the-hizouse' timestamp='1327585290' post='4155117']
Got my 59s on order!
[/quote]

Same here, 59/69 combo... Patiently waiting :crazy:

Like some others I wish I could have got C-tapers, but I just decided to stick with hard-stepped S300's... In the end not a huge deal as I've used DG forever anyway.

Hey all: I've heard that the reason why many of Mizuno's tour staff has switched to the mp59 irons is not only do they really like them and they are close to what they were previously playing ,but also because I've heard that their contracts required them to play something newer. Any thoughts on this? Thanks :dntknw:

[quote name='youngwaldo' timestamp='1327720527' post='4165151']
I love my MP63s in black nickel.

Wk
[/quote]

I love yer MP63s too Wk! LoL.

just got my 63s this weekend, the only iron I would consider over these would be the 69s. either way, nothing and the rock means nothing feels like a Mizuno

I read an earlier post where pdaero was considering the S56 & i20 over these well take it from a guy who just sold his S56s, Mizuno wins hands down. The feel is unbeatable.

Would be cool if someone came out with sets of replacement badges for the 59's. Could really customize them. Can't wait for mine to get here.

Driver: PING G30 LST 9* - Tour 65 Reg Shaft
3W: R11 Ti 13* - Fubuki 73x5ct Stiff Shaft
Driving Iron: Cobra King One Black Utility 2/3i - UST Recoil 780 Stiff Shaft
5-GW: Cobra King One Forged - UST Recoil 110 Stiff Shafts
Wedges: Mizuno T5s 52.09, 56.10, 60.06 - DG Wedge Flex Shafts
Putter: Scotty Cameron Monterrey

[quote name='dunn' timestamp='1327639449' post='4160189']
Yeah bro keep the 53's........ Had the 59 and they are great even though I had the wrong shaft...... But the 53 are more forgiving have the same sole grind .... Little extra forgiveness is nice, I am enjoying mine especially since ingot the right shaft

59's if your an excellent ballstriker

Just traded in my TM MC and what a difference going from TM back to mizuno!!! No comparison!
[/quote]

The 59s look so sweet but the 53s are definitely more forgiving
I think I need to tighten up the swing before I could really justify the upgrade!

[quote name='mhudson2' timestamp='1327676834' post='4161617']
Just got a set of 63s. Any opinions on how they compare to the 59 or 69?
[/quote]

I haven't tried the 59s or 69s yet but I love my 63s with DG X100. I compared the 63s to the 68s last year and the 63s feel every bit as sweet as the blades but a lot more forgiving and a bigger sweet spot. That is to be expected. I also tried the 58s last year and I still preferred the 63s. The 58s were a little more heavy and I didn't notice much difference in forgiveness to the 63s.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='devinherrera0921' timestamp='1332277103' post='4545106']
MP59s are the longest player irons I have hit this year. These things just rocket off the face.
[/quote]

I've played my mp59's for5 rounds this year & i love them more each round.I have DG's in the 59's & i'm getting a great flight with these.I played the Diablo Forged last year & although they had different shafts(nippons)-They are equal in distance.That really suprised me,because i thought that i would lose at least a club with the 59's.I couldn't be any happier that i made the move to the 59's-they're a joy to hit & feel/look great.

Adams 9015D w/X con4,Ping G20 w/HD6& [color=#0000CD Mizuno JPX 900 5 & 7 woods,Mashie 3 & 4
Bridgestone J40 DPC’s & S3 Pro’s,Mizuno S7 54 & 58
[color=#FF0000]Bettinardi SS7, BC1,Ping Anser 1968 BeCu

So my first weekend out with my new MP59's. I have had 52's before that and recently playing with Bridgstone J38 dual pocket cavity irons. I really like the Bridgestones very soft and I did not think I could find anything better until now. The 59's are about average for length for me anyway but the best thing is the consistency of flight. Distances are right on shot after shot and just as soft as the Bridgstones. I have had quite a few sets of irons in the past few years but these are the best feeling ever. I choose the KBS tour shafts in stiff flex, + 1/2 and 2 degrees flat. After 2 range sessions and now a full round under my belt so far so good.