2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Does anyone still game Ping Eye 2's?

Hit em good

Partially inspired by this thread and the memory of my high school golf teammates gaming Eye 2s and Zings while I was playing the most unforgiving RAM blades, a few weeks of Craigslist searching netted me a 3-SW + Eye 2+ LW, all black dot. The 3-PW are matching numbers. The grips (non-original) are almost brand new and the clubs look hardly played. I'd post pics but I stopped at the range after picking them up and didn't clean them. How embarrassing.

The + LW is about the same loft as the SW so it probably won't see my bag.

Partially inspired by this thread and the memory of my high school golf teammates gaming Eye 2s and Zings while I was playing the most unforgiving RAM blades, a few weeks of Craigslist searching netted me a 3-SW + Eye 2+ LW, all black dot. The 3-PW are matching numbers. The grips (non-original) are almost brand new and the clubs look hardly played. I'd post pics but I stopped at the range after picking them up and didn't clean them. How embarrassing.

the E2+ LW is still 61*

the E2 SW is 57.5*

the E2 PW is 50.5*

big gapping on what is still seen as the first GI club made to mass market.

Sun Mountain 2017 4.5 LS 4-way Stand Bag

PING Anser 11°, Graphite Design Tour AD Black Di-6-X

Titleist 915Fd 15° 3W, Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S

Wilson/Staff D-100 19° 3H, Matrix Ozik Altus 5.6-S

Adams Idea Black CB2 4-PW, KBS Tour 90-S

Nike VR Pro X3X 52/10 & 58/10, DG S400

Edel E-1

the E2+ LW is still 61*

the E2 SW is 57.5*

the E2 PW is 50.5*

The Eye2+ LW is 58*

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

the E2+ LW is still 61*

the E2 SW is 57.5*

the E2 PW is 50.5*

The Eye2+ LW is 58*

This is what I thought. Apparently the previous owner had no idea he was playing two clubs with only a 0.5° difference in loft. There's no appreciable difference in playability so the + LW will stay at home.

the E2+ LW is still 61*

the E2 SW is 57.5*

the E2 PW is 50.5*

The Eye2+ LW is 58*

I was

gonna say, I thought those numbers were off.

BTW I much prefer these lofts to the new XG/retro Gorge wedges they'v come out with.

I have Eye 2 (no +) Wedge (50.5*), SW (57.5) and LW (61*) - all lofts that work much better for me since I've been more inclined to go 51-52 GW with a 57-58 Sand/Low wedge combo in the past.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

the E2+ LW is still 61*

the E2 SW is 57.5*

the E2 PW is 50.5*

The Eye2+ LW is 58*

I stand corrected... apologies for the errant info. I think I read somewhere that all Eye2 clubs, + or no +, pat pending or not, all shared the same lofts, and that only the grooves changed, hence why I said "still"

thanks for the update

Sun Mountain 2017 4.5 LS 4-way Stand Bag

PING Anser 11°, Graphite Design Tour AD Black Di-6-X

Titleist 915Fd 15° 3W, Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S

Wilson/Staff D-100 19° 3H, Matrix Ozik Altus 5.6-S

Adams Idea Black CB2 4-PW, KBS Tour 90-S

Nike VR Pro X3X 52/10 & 58/10, DG S400

Edel E-1

Sold my Eye 2 red dots a few weeks ago and hope to have my new to me blue dots ready for the weekend. Went from 3-PW set to 2-SW and wanted a bit more upright. The new set has original grips, but sadly they're far beyond saving.....

And I am quite happy that you sold those :D Thanks!

Ha!!! Glad you're liking them still.

My fingers are raw right now from cutting off 20 year old dry rotted grips from the new set. Didn't think it would be that bad, but they pretty much came off in little, difficult to pry off pieces even with the razor blade and made a major mess of my office!!

But the hard part is over, extensions go in tomorrow, grips Thursday, hit balls Friday.

Sold my Eye 2 red dots a few weeks ago and hope to have my new to me blue dots ready for the weekend. Went from 3-PW set to 2-SW and wanted a bit more upright. The new set has original grips, but sadly they're far beyond saving.....

My fingers are raw right now from cutting off 20 year old dry rotted grips from the new set. Didn't think it would be that bad, but they pretty much came off in little, difficult to pry off pieces even with the razor blade and made a major mess of my office!!

But the hard part is over, extensions go in tomorrow, grips Thursday, hit balls Friday.

I find them as good as my G25s in every way, lofts are a tad weaker but still great clubs.

Grip removal aids:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1289944

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1310859

or a torch. Then use steel wool and a leather glove to push the sticky hot crap off.

I find them as good as my G25s in every way, lofts are a tad weaker but still great clubs.

Grip removal aids:

http://www.acehardwa...oductId=1289944

http://www.acehardwa...oductId=1310859

or a torch. Then use steel wool and a leather glove to push the sticky hot crap off.

Lol. Thanks. Actually had both of those tools at my disposal. Biggest downside was that the grips were basically completely dry, hard rubber that was cracked into tons of pieces. What a pain, but it's done!!!

Yes, this thread is to blame for me getting my 3rd set. I sold the previous two, but became "convinced" I need to always have a set in my possession.

But I waited patiently for a set meeting a few must haves - ZZ Lite, "radiused" U grooves a.k.a. square grooves (the grandfathered ones), matching serial numbers, my loft (or within 1 degree), fairly decent condition.

I think I exceeded that last one, but these won't stay this clean, sitting in a closet. Likely never my only gamers, but the only ones I won't ever sell.

Hey all, what a great thread and great to see a set of irons that has truly stood the test of time.

I know a couple of guys in my society that game the eye 2's and they are single digit/scratch players.

Got a question though, are these clubs good for higher handicaps, is there enough forgiveness?

No doubt the newer sets offer more, or maybe not, but are these a reasonable set to get to then grow into?

Hey all, what a great thread and great to see a set of irons that has truly stood the test of time.

I know a couple of guys in my society that game the eye 2's and they are single digit/scratch players.

Got a question though, are these clubs good for higher handicaps, is there enough forgiveness?

No doubt the newer sets offer more, or maybe not, but are these a reasonable set to get to then grow into?

Friend of mine is 80, an 18 handicap and shot 83 yesterday. He has gone back to his Ping eye 2s, giving up the Adams iron/hybrid set that we all convinced him he needed. Hits his Ping 4&5 irons better then we hit our hybrids. Sold the Adams. From the early 70's and thru the 90's I have felt ping was way ahead of the curve. The eye2's may have been ping's finest product.

Grip removal aids:

http://www.acehardwa...oductId=1289944

http://www.acehardwa...oductId=1310859

Lol. Thanks. Actually had both of those tools at my disposal. Biggest downside was that the grips were basically completely dry, hard rubber that was cracked into tons of pieces. What a pain, but it's done!!!

I did the same thing last year with a set. Some strips of grip came off nice, like 20% of the rubber... However, the rest didn't come off without a fight. It was a couple days before I was done.

I should really take them out again...

+no+ Green dots. Found a +no+ sand wedge recently, would like to find a lefty +no+ L wedge...those seem to be few and far between!!

PXG 0811X Proto 9*
Ping G30 14.5*

Ping G20 Hybrid 17*
PXG 0317X Gen 2 22*
Ping K15 4 Hybrid

Ping Rapture J-Spec 5 Iron

Ping i5 6 Iron

Ping S59 7-PW
Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*, 58*
Ping Zing 2 BeCu

+no+ Green dots. Found a +no+ sand wedge recently, would like to find a lefty +no+ L wedge...those seem to be few and far between!!

ExTrumpet: Your avatar. Lovely. Story?

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

Joe, it's great fun. :)

First Eye2 irons had V grooves. They are distinguishable by the patent pending stamp on the back of the top line being upside down (pic added below)

Next came the first square groove irons. The edges of the grooves were squared off, and were causing major ball shred issues. These are not the famous square groove irons that caused the ruckus. Sometimes called the U Groove set.

Now we get to the irons that caused all the fun. Ping radiused the edge of the grooves to solve the shred problem. These are the ones usually referred to as the Square Groove Eye2s. They have two patents relevant, compared to one patent for the U Groove set.

No confusion yet. The confusion comes in with the next couple sets....

Eye2+ and Eye2 irons are slightly different, aside from the obvious loft differences. You can really see it in the short irons and wedges, the soles are ground differently on the Eye2+. The Eye2+ were also made with the grooves slightly farther apart than the previous Eye2, as part of the settlement between Ping and the USGA.

The + was added to the cavity as a distinguishing mark.

Now to the confusing sets:

Plus no Plus (or +no+). These have the Eye2 groove configuration, but have the slightly different heads/soles of the Eye2+, as well as the stronger lofts. If you see a set or club that looks like Eye2+ but doesn't have the + in the cavity, you are looking at a +no+ set or club.

Eye2 Dot. These have a dot in the cavity to identify them. They have Eye2 heads/soles/lofts, but have the newer, slightly farther apart grooves of the Eye2+.

The name of the +no+ set is due to their looking like Eye2+, but having no + in the cavity, and lacking the other + characteristics. So, Eye2+ that aren't quite deserving of the plus? :)

The reason folks are so excited about +no+ sets is they have the groove configuration that went away, slightly closer grooves resulting in about one more groove on the club face, but have the stronger lofts and newer head shape and sole grind.

That should about cover it. :)

The pics I mentioned. From ironfinder.com, the Eye2 v groove, Eye2 square groove, and eye2+. Note the orientation of the stamps on the back of the topline in the first two pics:

289_A.jpg094706A.jpg114350A.jpg

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I built a retro set last winter and enjoyed them thoroughly. I did not notice any inconsistencies or drawbacks to mention still very competent set of sticks. BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

the E2+ LW is still 61*

the E2 SW is 57.5*

the E2 PW is 50.5*

The Eye2+ LW is 58*

This is what I thought. Apparently the previous owner had no idea he was playing two clubs with only a 0.5° difference in loft. There's no appreciable difference in playability so the + LW will stay at home.

I put the + LW in my bag at a shorter course. The Eye2+ LW is good to about 75 yards and the Eye2 SW is good to about 90 yards even though the lofts are only .5* different. I wonder if a previoius owner didn't have the LW bent to 60 or. I previously played a 60* K grind and hit it about 70.

On a lighter note (from that mega-Nike thread), these arrived today, JIT (that's a business term, Interpol ;) ) for the wknd

1e1ec4f39bf4dd7ad181abab574e2c38.jpg

Very nice me likes! BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Played my set again today and really enjoyed them :)

Just have to club up one in the long irons and they are every bit as good as anything out there now I reckon. Really forgiving.

My set runs 1- P & S. I leave the 1 iron out. 2 is in there for low shots into wind and out of trees. And I think the Eye 2+ Sand Wedge is the best Sand Wedge there is.

Think I'll have to keep it & the 2 iron in my regular playing set.

Ping%20Eye2%20set%20002_zpsqv3k0es9.jpg