Need some input from Phoenix locals

wybrh

I'll be in Scottsdale next Thursday-Saturday, 2/9-2/11. This trip is to get the heck away from the freezing cold of winter and see the ball fly. I'll be staying in Old Town Scottsdale somewhere and was wondering if anyone could recommend a course close by with good practice facilities? Basically, I'm looking to spend a bunch of time working on short game and full swing. It would be great if the place had reasonable green fees as well but not necessary. My plan is to spend most of the day practicing and play in the afternoon when twilight rates hit.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love WeKoPa - wekopa.com off of Shea east of the 101, it might take you 20-30 minutes to get there depending on traffic. They have a great practice facility and probably wouldn't have a problem if you use it for a while if you are playing there. Check golfnow.com for good deals then check the course's web site for details on the facility... Check quinterogolf.com as I hear it recently went public and is supposed to be a great course. It might be a good 30 minutes away but might be worth it from what I have heard. The ASU Karsten - asukarsten.com course is 15+ minutes away and should have a great practice area as it is the home course of Arizona State University, Michelson's alma mater. I have reserved and paid for twilight then checked in early with the starter and he sent me off early and I got 18 in at the twilight rate, happened at Greyhawk and I saved $85! I am sure you'll get some more info from locals. Good luck.

[quote name='tesuquegolfer' timestamp='1328224294' post='4199805']
I love WeKoPa - wekopa.com off of Shea east of the 101, it might take you 20-30 minutes to get there depending on traffic. They have a great practice facility and probably wouldn't have a problem if you use it for a while if you are playing there. Check golfnow.com for good deals then check the course's web site for details on the facility... Check quinterogolf.com as I hear it recently went public and is supposed to be a great course. It might be a good 30 minutes away but might be worth it from what I have heard. The ASU Karsten - asukarsten.com course is 15+ minutes away and should have a great practice area as it is the home course of Arizona State University, Michelson's alma mater. I have reserved and paid for twilight then checked in early with the starter and he sent me off early and I got 18 in at the twilight rate, happened at Greyhawk and I saved $85! I am sure you'll get some more info from locals. Good luck.
[/quote]

That's great info. Thanks.

Checking in early for twilight is a great idea. I'll be a single so I'll try to use that to my advantage.

None of those are close to old town except karsten, but they have artificial turf you hit off of. Good short game arwa though. My suggestion, though not close to Scottsdale, is to go to aguila. They have an 18 hole course that's 29 to walk with the city card, and then the 9 hole is free to play with green fees. The 9 hole by itself is like 9 for all you can play, and it's like real life shorthand practice, you know what I mean? Holes on that course range from 50 to 190 but with real greens and bunkering as well. Should be dead during the week. Vistal has a similar set up with the first tee across the street. Legacy and whirlwind have $20 all day practice passes. I think the closest place to you in old town would be continental, but it's not a regulation course and I don't know hat kind of short game area they have.

Papago is another place that again is 29 with the city card and it's pretty close and convienient to old town. I believe the card is 100 for out of towers but hell, buy it and play everyday and you'll spend less at Papago and aguila than you would for two rounds elsewhere .

City twilight rates start at 1254 pm I believe and drops down to 15 to walk with the card

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Also, Wekopa isn't on golfnow, and out of town guy is gonna pay ALOT to play there this time of year. Quintero is a haul from old town, way out there, I'd say closer to an hour from old town , and forget it if you have to even sniff at making the drive during traffic

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1328243414' post='4202545']
None of those are close to old town except karsten, but they have artificial turf you hit off of. Good short game arwa though. My suggestion, though not close to Scottsdale, is to go to aguila. They have an 18 hole course that's 29 to walk with the city card, and then the 9 hole is free to play with green fees. The 9 hole by itself is like 9 for all you can play, and it's like real life shorthand practice, you know what I mean? Holes on that course range from 50 to 190 but with real greens and bunkering as well. Should be dead during the week. Vistal has a similar set up with the first tee across the street. Legacy and whirlwind have $20 all day practice passes. I think the closest place to you in old town would be continental, but it's not a regulation course and I don't know hat kind of short game area they have.

Papago is another place that again is 29 with the city card and it's pretty close and convienient to old town. I believe the card is 100 for out of towers but hell, buy it and play everyday and you'll spend less at Papago and aguila than you would for two rounds elsewhere .

City twilight rates start at 1254 pm I believe and drops down to 15 to walk with the card
[/quote]

thanks fore_life. That's exactly what I'm looking for. How is the practice area at Papago?

I may buy the city card since I'll probably be back to play again some time in March. Thanks for the insight man.

Ahh my bad, I guess the only city card that can be used at Papago is the one for maricopa county residents, sorry for the bad info.

Im trying to think of other options for you now.

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

If you could, I'd suggest staying in the Tempe/chandler area. Courses will be cheaper, as should be lodging. You'll be a bit of a drive for the north Scottsdale tracks, but otherwise you're smack dab in the middle of everything else. If you stay there, then I'd practice/ play at whirlwind, southern dunes, legacy, raven or anything I mentioned earlier.

I live in the south Tempe/ chandler area and it's almost overkill as far as how many options of places to play/practice within a 10 or 15 minute drive.

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

Well li think that's due to how affordable it is for all of us on here with the city card, for 29 bucks it's a killer deal. 7300 from the tips, 75 rating, a good test and easy location due to its proximity to freeway access. Dobson ranch is a solid muni course in mesa but it's pretty busy. It's range is lit until like 830 I do believe.

My personal favorite is southern dunes, but their pricing structure isn't as nice as it was a few years ago. Ken McDonald is a really boring Tempe muni, but thy have a decent shirt game bunker and chipping green and two putting greens.

In the southwest course review, check out the pinned topic and look at all of the pictures of the courses and see what you may like. This time of year is crazy expensive, so my suggestions of the aguila 9 and 18 hole is IMO the best bang for your buck for practicing as well as playing and not breaking the bank if that is a concern

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

If you are looking for someplace nearby to practice mccormick ranch is ok even though its a zoo and its only about ten minutes from old town, if that. They will sell you a huge bucket of balls (like 200) for a reasonable price and there are two chipping greens and a putting green. If you want to drive a little ways you can practice at the legacy in phoenix but its going to be a bit of a hike. The courses at mccormick are pretty good but if you are going to play them book on golfnow.

[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1328329713' post='4210187']
OP....I have the wekopa pass...so if you want to play on Sat, I'd be up for that...maybe get fore or others in as well. Send me a note if that works...$85 with my pass.
[/quote]

That would be sweet. Saturday is my travel day home so as long as we can play and I can make my 3:30 flight, I'm in.

[quote name='wybrh' timestamp='1328330547' post='4210257']
OP....I have the wekopa pass...so if you want to play on Sat, I'd be up for that...maybe get fore or others in as well. Send me a note if that works...$85 with my pass.
[/quote]

That would be sweet. Saturday is my travel day home so as long as we can play and I can make my 3:30 flight, I'm in.
[/quote]

Damn...not likely...the early times are always booked...earliest is 11am or so. No way for you to make that.

Let me check my Friday schedule and see what it looks like...maybe fri afternoon?

[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1328334081' post='4210499']
[quote name='wybrh' timestamp='1328330547' post='4210257']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Damn...not likely...the early times are always booked...earliest is 11am or so. No way for you to make that.

Let me check my Friday schedule and see what it looks like...maybe fri afternoon?
[/quote]

I'm down with Friday. I don't have any plans, other than playing golf, so any time will work for me.

[quote name='wybrh' timestamp='1328471615' post='4219055']
Can anyone chime in on Southern Dunes versus Foothills as far as quality of practice area and the courses? I'm looking to book something in the afternoon next thursday. Golfnow has Foothills @ 12:56 for $40.

fore_life, what time are you playing Aguila on Thursday?
[/quote]
Southern Dunes is a must play...the golf course is in the top 5 in Phoenix area for sure. It's in perfect shape at the practice area is good. It has a good range with a solid short game area where you can go back to around 60 yards. The putting green is huge and in perfect shape. Skip the Foothills and go out to Southern Dunes. My father just received an email for $79 all you can play. Don't know the stipulations but is an unbelievable deal at this time.

Nike VR Limited 10.5 BlueBoard 83x
Nike VR Limited 15* BlueBoard 83x
Adams Pro 21* Fubuki AX 82x
Adams XTD Forged 4-Pw DG
Titleist Vokey 50* 55* 60* TI DG
Scotty Cameron 009 33 Inch

Foothills doesn't even come close to southern dunes, the course is not great and the practice area is another one where you hit off artificial turf. If you can play all you can at southern dunes then jump on that! Southern Dunes is my favorite track out here by far.

I was probably gonna play thurs at like 830 or 9? I can book it now if you'd like? Let me know if you're interested, pm me or post here

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

[quote name='wybrh' timestamp='1329176262' post='4279229']
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input. It was a great trip from start to finish.

Special thanks to Joe, Blake, Connor and Sam for putting up with me while I hacked my way around we-ko-pa and Aguila. I'll get my game together for next time. You all were great to play with. Thanks again.
[/quote]

Thanks Brian, I had a blast playing with you, wish I could have played better, will try to address that in the future..Sam

[quote name='wybrh' timestamp='1329176262' post='4279229']
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input. It was a great trip from start to finish.

Special thanks to Joe, Blake, Connor and Sam for putting up with me while I hacked my way around we-ko-pa and Aguila. I'll get my game together for next time. You all were great to play with. Thanks again.
[/quote]

Thanks for coming out Brian. You should definantly come out to AZ more often. I mean how many times doe you need to play pinehurst haha. :cheesy:

Ping G430 Max 10k
Ping G430 2 Hybrid
Ping I230 4-PW KBS Ctaper Lite S+
Ping Forged 50* 54* 60*
Ping D60

AAAAH.... what did I miss. damn it Somebody needs to keep me in the loop, I need to log on more often.... :)

PING G425 Max       10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 Max       16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230                  5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 raw        50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shaft (+ 1/4”)

Odyssey                     AI One  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM Rossi   M-21 Reserve and Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH