Thailland in 2 weeks.

chillr710

Phuket and Koh Samui.
Hey all! -

Leaving for Thailand in a couple of weeks and heading to Phuket for 6 nights and Koh Samui for 5 nights. Got a leave pass from the mrs for one round in each place. :rolleyes:

All the courses there look sensational on the net, it seems the Thai people like to invest in their golf! haha.

Can anyone recommend which courses to play in both Phuket and Samui? Are any of these courses used for any big Asian tourns?

Thanks guys!!

Titleist 915 D2 8.5* - Aldila Rogue Black 6-TX
Titleist 915F 16.5 - Aldila Tour Green 7X
Titleist 816 H1 19* - Motore Speeder 8.8X
Titleist 716 AP2 4-9 - Project X 6.5
SM6 46.08 F Grind - S300
SM6 50.08 F Grind - S300
SM6 54.10 S Grind - S300
SM6 58.12 K Grind - S200

Nike Method 006 Proto
ProV1x 16'

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

chillr - I live in Bangkok and play as often as I can. You will enjoy golf in Thailand, every course requires you to have a caddie. Friendly ladies, hopefully cute. Some are more knowledgeable than most but just a good experience.

If you get one course per island then I'd say...

Blue Canyon in Phuket
[url="http://www.bluecanyonclub.com/"]http://www.bluecanyonclub.com/[/url]

Santiburi in Samui
[url="http://www.santiburi.com/HomeGolf.asp"]http://www.santiburi.com/HomeGolf.asp[/url]

I believe both have hosted Asian Tour tournaments. I have played Santiburi but not Blue Canyon. Santiburi has amazing views of the ocean as it's set on the mountain side, I found a few holes a little gimmicky but it should be a good time. Santiburi requires you to take a cart with your caddie which means she's driving you, some of the higher end courses won't allow you to walk if you have a caddie. In Santiburi's case, it's so hilly that it's not really all that "walkable". Though I haven't played Blue Canyon, everyone I've talked to that has played loved it. I've read it to be one of the top 10 courses in the country and that's saying something, there are some nice courses.

Enjoy it and if you decide to play in BKK, I've got good recommendations around town.

I went to Thailand for my buddy stu's wedding last summer. The first night there we were having a beer on the beach at our resort and I wound up waking up in this slummy hotel room in the middle of this huge city with our buddy chow and this monkey. Unfortunately Stus fiancees little brother was with us the night before and we lost him so we had to go find him. We heard he was in jail and went to pick him up but they gave us this monk in a wheelchair wearing his sweatshirt instead (total bummer). This freakin guy wouldn't even talk to us! Anyhoo we wound up going to this tattoo parlour where we found out that we caused quite the ruckus the night before in the neighbourhood and that stu had relations with "a person of ill repute". Anyway after a long debaccle involving russian mobsters and chows bank account we found stus fiancees little brother and made it to the wedding on time. Oh, and Mike Tyson was there.

I played at bangkok country club and santiburi in koh samui.

The samui course santiburi is a great course up and down with great views. Golf cart and caddie is mandatory. Hire clubs have burners and mx300 etc decent ish clubs.

Take a lot of balls as it is a tough course. Played it march 11

Probaly one of best I ever played, also quite hard to find as not signposted that well.

Uk handicap 3.

Pretty Sure Blue Canyon is where Tiger wom once when played over in Thailand. I heard from a bunch of pros that played in a tournament in Koh Samui that the course is nice but intense as it is cut out of a hill/mountain

Play well and drink lots of LEO and Tiger

[quote name='kevinho' timestamp='1329206843' post='4282263']
chillr - I live in Bangkok and play as often as I can. You will enjoy golf in Thailand, every course requires you to have a caddie. Friendly ladies, hopefully cute. Some are more knowledgeable than most but just a good experience.

If you get one course per island then I'd say...

Blue Canyon in Phuket
[url="http://www.bluecanyonclub.com/"]http://www.bluecanyonclub.com/[/url]

Santiburi in Samui
[url="http://www.santiburi.com/HomeGolf.asp"]http://www.santiburi.com/HomeGolf.asp[/url]

I believe both have hosted Asian Tour tournaments. I have played Santiburi but not Blue Canyon. Santiburi has amazing views of the ocean as it's set on the mountain side, I found a few holes a little gimmicky but it should be a good time. Santiburi requires you to take a cart with your caddie which means she's driving you, some of the higher end courses won't allow you to walk if you have a caddie. In Santiburi's case, it's so hilly that it's not really all that "walkable". Though I haven't played Blue Canyon, everyone I've talked to that has played loved it. I've read it to be one of the top 10 courses in the country and that's saying something, there are some nice courses.

Enjoy it and if you decide to play in BKK, I've got good recommendations around town.
[/quote]

Yeah I guess if you look at Blue Canyon's site they have a quote from Tiger when they played the Johnnie Walker Classic back in the day.

"Gimmicky" might not be the right word for Santiburi, maybe intense is a better way to put it as the others have said. But the views were amazing and I wouldn't discourage the OP from playing there.

I'd like to make my pitch for Beer Chang. I'm told that Beer Chang was brewed with more alcohol content to combat the watering down of the beer when Thai people put ice in their beer (a common practice here bc it's so freaking hot all the time). Any reason for a beer to have more alcohol content than most is a good enough reason for me to drink it.

The Blue Canyon does look pretty awsome.

I Just wanna play a really quality course that isnt going to make me lose a stack of balls! haha.

Titleist 915 D2 8.5* - Aldila Rogue Black 6-TX
Titleist 915F 16.5 - Aldila Tour Green 7X
Titleist 816 H1 19* - Motore Speeder 8.8X
Titleist 716 AP2 4-9 - Project X 6.5
SM6 46.08 F Grind - S300
SM6 50.08 F Grind - S300
SM6 54.10 S Grind - S300
SM6 58.12 K Grind - S200

Nike Method 006 Proto
ProV1x 16'

[quote name='chillr710' timestamp='1329262457' post='4286889']
The Blue Canyon does look pretty awsome.

I Just wanna play a really quality course that isnt going to make me lose a stack of balls! haha.
[/quote]

Dont drink buckets while you play and you should be fine, buckets are only to be consumed after golf

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.