2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Forged Cavity Backs for under $300

Jseale

[quote name='Jseale' timestamp='1330483516' post='4399539']
I have seen several nice looking sets if 704 cb's for less than $200
[/quote]

The 704CBs are nice clubs, I owned a set for 2 years when they first came out. If you are looking for a soft feeling forged iron set you are looking in the wrong place by thinking about the 704s, they aren't soft when compared to many other forged clubs. Hogans or Mizunos would be a good place to look. I can't comment on Bridgestones having never owned them but there are many people who love them.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5º
TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
Callaway X Hot 25º hybrid
Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54º/58º
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cally X Tour Forged
Cally X Forged
Mizzy MP-30
If you get lucky: Cally Razr X Tour
Bridgestone J series irons
Nike Pro Combos

Nike Str8t Fit w/ Accra Dymatch 2.0 MT60
TEE CB4 15* Fujikura Rombax 7V05
TEE CB4 19* Matrix Studio 94
Adams CMB w/ Recoil Prototypes 110 F4 4-GW
Miura 1957 55C Modus3 Tour 120
Fourteen MT28V5 60* Modus3 Tour 120
<a href="Machine M2A Converter" title="WITB Link" target="_blank">WITB Link</a>

[list][*]Titleist 695.cbs[*]Mizuno MP 57s or MP30s[*][*]all great options[/list]If I'm not mistaken, the feel on the 704.cbs will not be quite as nice as many other forging due to the fact that these are forged from stainless rather than carbon steel. They would not be my first choice.

Taylormade M1 10.5* with Diamana Whiteboard S 70g shaft
Titleist 917 D2 3 wood with a Diamana 70 5ct S shaft
Ping Anser 20* hybrid,
Ping Anser 23* hybrid,
Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW with KBS Tour 120 stiff shafts
50*, 54* & 60* Titleist SM6 wedges
Byron Morgan DH89 SS with Super Stroke 1.0 grip

B'stone J33, 36, 38
Callaway 2007 and 2009 X-Forged
TM 2005 TP
Titleist 690, 695 CB
Macgregor MT Pro C
TEE CNC Forged
Maxfli Revolution Black (not forged, but they are very soft for a cast head)

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

OK where am I to find these in that price range? I really want the MB2's but $, the Idea Pro's look nice too.
[quote name='Fatz' timestamp='1330486266' post='4399857']
Id buy a new set of Adams Idea pro.

Nice forged set, going sub $300 new just about everywhere Ive seen them. Great clubheads frankly.

Not a mizzy or cobra S3 Pro, but I thought they outdid TM forged and the Nike VR stuff personally.

I was very close to putting them in the bag.
[/quote]

I can't seem to kick my Titleist 775cb irons out of my bag. I also have a set of AP1 irons and really old school Callaway X-14 Pro Series irons. In terms of feel, the 775s are in a class of their own.

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

Mizuno MP62's

Mizuno-feel, look great at address, easy to hit, shape the ball and control trajectory easily.

As with any forged iron - make sure you're hitting the correct shaft (hit some MP63s with different shafts, then look for 62s with similar). The right shaft feels great; the wrong one feels like crap - even though it's the same club head.

[quote name='FAIRWAYFOUND!' timestamp='1330483828' post='4399565']
Almost anything Bridgestone. Great underrated clubs.
[/quote]

+1 you can get almost any forged B-stone iron for 300, even the J38 which is only a couple years old. they are great clubs. IMO they are better feeling than the famed Mizuno forging.

[quote name='eroc' timestamp='1330502295' post='4400993']
There are so many out there that your options are almost limitless.

First thing I would ask is how forgiving you want them to be. Do you want just the barebones players cb, or do you want something more forgiving? They have definitely made some very forgiving players cavities in the past few years.

After that, you should decide what kind of turf interaction you need. Digger or sweeper?

Finally, I would focus on aesthetics. Obviously you want them to look good in your bag, but at address is also very
important. I am personally more concerned with toe shape (I like more square) and heel-toe length (I like them not too long) than topline.
[/quote]

My ballstriking is definitely on the rise and I tend to stay near the center of the clubface most if the time. I am definitely a digger. I have made huge strides as of late in my ability to work the ball both directions, but have a naturally high ball flight and cannot get the ball down without making silly adjustments. I think my current Adams A3's are part of the problem. I love the look af blades, but just don't think I'm consistent enough yet so a I think a clean set of forged cavities with a fair amount of forgiveness should be the best of all worlds. I could care less about brand, but like the classic looks of Titleist and Mizuno CB's. The real problem I'm finding with purchasing 5 year old used clubs is finding somewhere that still carries them for me to hit.

[quote name='Jseale' timestamp='1330485384' post='4399753']
[quote name='sanjaygolf' timestamp='1330484513' post='4399649']
Cally X-forged
[/quote]

There are tons of these in great shape online in the $300 range. I'm always a bit worried about Callaway's because I've had a couple of friends get scammed into buying fakes. Probably paranoia on my part.
[/quote]

I may have some got sale as soon as my new sticks come in. X Forged 2009 4-P project X flighted 6.0 Golf-Pride MC white/black grips are still in good condition as well as the clubs, if you are interested let me know.

[color=#0066ff][b]Ping G400 Max 10.5*[/b][/color] [size=1]Aldila Rogue Silver 130ts[/size]
[color=#0066ff][b]Callaway Epic Flash 15*[/b][/color] [size=1]Aldila Rogue Black 130ts[/size][size=1][/size]
[color=#0066ff][b]Ping G410 21*[/b][/color] [size=1]Aldila Rogue Black Hybrid 95ts[/size]
[color=#0066ff][b]Mizuno MP20 4-P[/b][/color] [size=1]Project X LZ 6.0[/size]
[color=#0066ff][b]Mizuno T20 50*, 54*[/b][/color] [size=1]Project X LZ 6.0[/size]
[color=#0066ff][b]Callaway Jaws MD5 60*[/b][/color] [size=1]Project X 6.0[/size]
[color=#ff0000][b]Taylormade Spider[/b][/color]

I just picked up a set of J33 CB here on the BST. But I had a chance to hit three different player's CB's and they were all in my sights until I settled on the J33's

1. J33
2. Cobra S2 Forged
3. Adams CB2

The J33 and Cobra were very close to me in terms of feel and forgiveness. The CB2's were slightly behind those two. The CB2's may be a bit tougher to find under $300 and the other two are just plain tougher to find in good shape.

That said, I posted in the WTB forum, and within 24 hours, I had three responses on J33's, all under $300.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* | Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red 5S

Callaway Mavrik 5W 18* | Project X Evenflow Riptide 60 6.0

Callaway Mavrik 4H 20* | Fujikura Vista Pro 55 Regular

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW | Dynamic Gold 105 S300 (+1", 1* up)

Mizuno T22 49* | Dynamic Gold 105 S300 (+1", 1* up)

Mizuno T22 54* and 59* | Dynamic Gold 120 S300 (+1", 1* up)

Bettinardi 2017 SS28 Armlock, cut down to 37" | Rosemark 1.52 NEO Stealth Tour Grip

[quote name='Jseale' timestamp='1330534178' post='4402901']

First thing I would ask is how forgiving you want them to be. Do you want just the barebones players cb, or do you want something more forgiving? They have definitely made some very forgiving players cavities in the past few years.

After that, you should decide what kind of turf interaction you need. Digger or sweeper?

Finally, I would focus on aesthetics. Obviously you want them to look good in your bag, but at address is also very
important. I am personally more concerned with toe shape (I like more square) and heel-toe length (I like them not too long) than topline.
[/quote]

My ballstriking is definitely on the rise and I tend to stay near the center of the clubface most if the time. I am definitely a digger. I have made huge strides as of late in my ability to work the ball both directions, but have a naturally high ball flight and cannot get the ball down without making silly adjustments. I think my current Adams A3's are part of the problem. I love the look af blades, but just don't think I'm consistent enough yet so a I think a clean set of forged cavities with a fair amount of forgiveness should be the best of all worlds. I could care less about brand, but like the classic looks of Titleist and Mizuno CB's. The real problem I'm finding with purchasing 5 year old used clubs is finding somewhere that still carries them for me to hit.
[/quote]

Have you considered the Titleist 695 CB? Beautiful and IIRC the sole had a good amount of bounce, definitely for the digger.

I personally use the Bridgestone J36 Pocket Cavities because they were like $200 brand new a year after they first came out and are very forgiving as far as players CBs go. And while they feel better than other forged pocket cavity irons like the AP2, they still feel a bit hollow.

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

[quote name='willywads' timestamp='1330534193' post='4402905']
[quote name='Jseale' timestamp='1330485384' post='4399753']
[quote name='sanjaygolf' timestamp='1330484513' post='4399649']
Cally X-forged
[/quote]

There are tons of these in great shape online in the $300 range. I'm always a bit worried about Callaway's because I've had a couple of friends get scammed into buying fakes. Probably paranoia on my part.
[/quote]

I may have some got sale as soon as my new sticks come in. X Forged 2009 4-P project X flighted 6.0 Golf-Pride MC white/black grips are still in good condition as well as the clubs, if you are interested let me know.
[/quote]
Let me know about X-Forged

Forged irons fall into two general camps as feel goes: soft and firm.
--->find out which feel you prefer, then proceed to find a set that matches what you want.

Aesthetics alone can only go so far.
Jack Pearsall learned this lesson with the wimminz...besides, nobody likes shallow golfers. :rolleyes:

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

cally xforged
titleist 690 CB
mizzy mp-60

9.5* GBB Epic w/ RT Technologies Zeus 75g
16.5* Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 w/ RT Technologies Zeus 85g
20* Itobori Hybrid w/ RT Technologies Midas 98g
Epon AF Tour CB w/ AMT DG X100 4-PW
MannKrafted Custom 51* & 56* w/ AMT DG X100
MannKrafted Yaupon
Vice Force Stand Bag
Vice Pro Plus

[/quote]

[/quote]

My opinion is that there is very little variation between iterations of irons. If you went to the store and hit current models I doubt you'd see much difference from the older models.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Black 6x
Titleist TSR2 15* Ventus Blue 7x
Titleist 818H1 21* Graphite Design AD-DI 105x

Titleist T100S 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 48-10 F Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 54-12 D Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist Vokey SM9 60-08 M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

TaylorMade Spider GT
WITB Link

Not quite under $300, but I just bought a set of Mizuno JPX 800 Pros 4-GW with Project X 4.5 shafts, in VERY good condition for $350 and then got another 10% off. Went back a few days later and there was the 56/10 wedge, with same shaft, for $50, minus 10%.
[quote name='Jseale' timestamp='1330483516' post='4399539']
I'm sure that there have been similar threads on this topic in the past, but I can't find one put in these terms.
If you had $300 to spend on a set of irons and were looking for a good used set of forged cavity backs, what would you buy?
I have seen several nice looking sets if 704 cb's for less than $200, but the only set that I've owned to date are Adams a3's so I'm not set on any particular brand.
[/quote]

[quote name='sanjaygolf' timestamp='1330558578' post='4406161']

Finally, I would focus on aesthetics. Obviously you want
them to look good in your bag, but at address is also very
[/quote]

My ballstriking is definitely on the rise and I tend to stay
near the center of the clubface most if the time. I am definitely a digger. I have made huge strides as of late in my ability to work the ball both directions, but have a naturally high ball flight and cannot get the ball down without making silly adjustments. I think my current Adams A3's are part of the problem. I love the look af blades, but
just don't think I'm consistent enough yet so a I think a clean set of forged cavities with a fair amount of forgiveness should be the best of all worlds. I could care less about brand, but like the classic looks of Titleist and Mizuno CB's. The real problem I'm finding with purchasing 5 year old used clubs is finding somewhere that still carries
them for me to hit.
[/quote]

My opinion is that there is very little variation between iterations of irons. If you went to the store and hit current models I doubt you'd see much difference from the older
models.
[/quote]

I'm very intrerested in hearing if others agree with that opinion. So if I'm understanding correctly, I could go hit a newer set of Mizuno or Titleist or Bridgestones forged cavities at a demo day or in a chain store and would be able to determine which brand I prefered and then just pick the model based on what I could find online in my price range.
If this proves to be true, it could make this a much easier decision to make.