2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Help me settle a dispute with my dad

Snell golfer2014

I would have bought a 6-iron demo of your club with both shafts, and then taken it to the range, or onto the course with your father. Hit an extra ball if no one is behind you to see how each performs. I'm sure you'll get a couple of holes where a 6 iron is your club of choice and can see in live conditions how each performs. If you are striping the new 6-iron into the wind, a case could have been made. Doing it behind your father's back would make anyone upset, though.

I would have maybe gone to a fitting as well in the first place to compare shafts so it would be a moot point now. But the good news is you're only swapping out the shafts, so it's not that costly of a change. But my only question is, how do you know that they would be a better fit before you made the change? Did you try them out, or just look for a reason to get your Golfwrx Ho card? (you wouldn't be the first person on here to do so)

Nike Str8t Fit w/ Accra Dymatch 2.0 MT60
TEE CB4 15* Fujikura Rombax 7V05
TEE CB4 19* Matrix Studio 94
Adams CMB w/ Recoil Prototypes 110 F4 4-GW
Miura 1957 55C Modus3 Tour 120
Fourteen MT28V5 60* Modus3 Tour 120
<a href="Machine M2A Converter" title="WITB Link" target="_blank">WITB Link</a>

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ucdan5' timestamp='1331752111' post='4507639']
I would have bought a 6-iron demo of your club with both shafts, and then taken it to the range, or onto the course with your father. Hit an extra ball if no one is behind you to see how each performs. I'm sure you'll get a couple of holes where a 6 iron is your club of choice and can see in live conditions how each performs. If you are striping the new 6-iron into the wind, a case could have been made. Doing it behind your father's back would make anyone upset, though.

I would have maybe gone to a fitting as well in the first place to compare shafts so it would be a moot point now. But the good news is you're only swapping out the shafts, so it's not that costly of a change. But my only question is, how do you know that they would be a better fit before you made the change? Did you try them out, or just look for a reason to get your Golfwrx Ho card? (you wouldn't be the first person on here to do so)
[/quote]
Do you need a GolfWRX ho card to buy demo irons?

Nike VR Limited 10.5 BlueBoard 83x
Nike VR Limited 15* BlueBoard 83x
Adams Pro 21* Fubuki AX 82x
Adams XTD Forged 4-Pw DG
Titleist Vokey 50* 55* 60* TI DG
Scotty Cameron 009 33 Inch

[quote name='Snell golfer2014' timestamp='1331685550' post='4502537']
So back in early May, my dad and i decided that i needed some properly fit irons. So we went to a guy who used to be the main clubfitter for a major golf company. I was fitted in his garage in his house that didn't have a launch moniter, just that plastic pad that you strike and it gives you the lie angle i guess. Anyway, he gave me the correct lie, loft, and length for my clubs, but only recommended a shaft flex for me, not a type of shaft. We went with the KBS tours because they came stock with the irons. Fast forward to now, and I'm stronger and load the club much heavier and I need lower spinning shafts. I went today to get the Project X 6.0 installed in my irons with my mom. He found out and is freaking out because he paid for $800 worth of clubs (which I truly appreciate) that were "properly" fitted for me. Someone help me here!
[/quote]

I have to admit that I'm stunned at some of the reactions here.

You basically have two problems here.

First problem is that there is probably a knowledge gap between what you know about golf (and your own game), and what your father knows. He may simply not know that it is possible for a growing teenager to outgrow a set of fitted clubs in only 9 months. Because he's gotten stronger..and he's gotten better.

The second problem is emotional. Your dad probably feels that you didn't either appreciate the money or the time he spent with you on the first fitting. We some times forget (or fail to realize when we are young) that our parents are just people...and they have their own insecurities, sore points, and frailties.

You clearly have the knowledge to address the first problem. Hence your going back and getting a shaft that will perform better under the stress of a stronger golf swing than the KBS Tours. Simply teach your dad about the differences and what it will mean to your game. Not from a standpoint of "I know better"....but rather one of "I didn't include you in earlier in this decision...but I really want you to be a part of this going forwards."

The second problem is a relationship problem. [b][i]You have some fences to mend,[/i][/b] and it is probably more about letting your dad know that you value HIM than it is about the money...or that he was out of the loop on this decision. The golf clubs are water under the bridge. But a good place to start would be letting him that that you did appreciate what he did for you, and that you enjoyed playing the clubs....then ask his advice on some other decision that you need to make.

Sometimes we children have to be the "grown-ups" in our relationships with our parents. Regardless of whether the "child" is 15....or 50. In a perfect world, that wouldn't be necessary, but we don't live in that perfect world. This seems to be one of those times for you....and that your dad is feeling hurt and needs a bit of nurturance from you. Some reassurance that--despite you growing up rapidly---that you still respect and admire him.

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

Alright guys, first and foremost my dad and I have pretty much resolved the issue as he apologized to me because i have more knowledge on equipment than he does(his words), we are fine now and after letting me fully explain my side of the argument he is actually almost as excited as I am to see the change. And as for the difference in the shafts, I have been working out hard since July and have had my driver swingspeed go from 105-112, so after all the things i read on the shaft differences, i decided it would be a good fit. If it works out, great. If not, it was a lesson learned and the KBS goes right back in.

Cobra OG ZL/Rombax
TEE XCG-V/Voodoo
Adams 9031/ Pink Matrix
MB/MC/Project X
RAC/MP-T/Vokey
Endless Putters

[quote name='Snell golfer2014' timestamp='1331765450' post='4509063']
Alright guys, first and foremost my dad and I have pretty much resolved the issue as he apologized to me because i have more knowledge on equipment than he does(his words), we are fine now and after letting me fully explain my side of the argument he is actually almost as excited as I am to see the change. And as for the difference in the shafts, I have been working out hard since July and have had my driver swingspeed go from 105-112, so after all the things i read on the shaft differences, i decided it would be a good fit. If it works out, great. If not, it was a lesson learned and the KBS goes right back in.
[/quote]

Nice to hear.

You have a good man for a father, take time to appreciate that fact.

There's many a man out there who would not have had the strength of character (or the concern for his son) to do what your father did here. To admit to himself that his son knows more than he does on a subject, and to apologize to that son. Especially when that son is rapidly approaching manhood himself.

That example will take you much farther than anything he ever does with your golf game.

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

Man, $800 for a new set of clubs for a kid and now he wants more!!! Unless you're the next big thing, I think it's a waste!

My first 3 sets of clubs were all hand-me-downs from my dad and my older brothers. When I was 17 I was playing tourney MTs from the 50s!!! I didn't get a new set of clubs until I was maybe 30!! lol

[quote name='wolfpack' timestamp='1331774449' post='4510099']
thread/
[/quote]
Sorry if i seem like a spoiled brat to you. I did something without thinking about it and I've learned my lesson, end of story.

Cobra OG ZL/Rombax
TEE XCG-V/Voodoo
Adams 9031/ Pink Matrix
MB/MC/Project X
RAC/MP-T/Vokey
Endless Putters

[quote name='Snell golfer2014' timestamp='1331774611' post='4510121']
thread/
[/quote]
Sorry if i seem like a spoiled brat to you. I did something without thinking about it and I've learned my lesson, end of story.
[/quote]

Takes a big person to admit that.. I'm not mad at you.

Cobra Bio Cell 11*
F6 Baffler 17.5
Hibore Hybrid 22*
850 Forged 5-GW
MP-T10 54, EYE 2 61
Odyssey 7

[quote name='kitsoasis' timestamp='1331774250' post='4510059']
[quote name='Snell golfer2014' timestamp='1331773899' post='4510011']
[quote name='kitsoasis' timestamp='1331772037' post='4509747']
still don't know what flex the KBS was...
[/quote]
Stiff
[/quote]

The same KBS Tour stiff shaft with a frequency of 6.1?
[/quote]

No, the KBS Tour with a frequency of 6.0. The PX 6.0 he switched to has an fcm of 6.5. A large increase, 0.1 fcm shy of hardstepping a DG shat twice. That is a significant difference in not only stiffness but also bend profile and feel. Idk what his swing is like but if he has a very late release and "loads" the shaft more due to a more aggressive swing the PX will be a better fit for him.
Don't worry kid, you just should always talk to your parents before you purchase anything like that. I know it always worked better when I just talked to my parents about this kinda stuff. Even if they didn't say yes at first, as long as it wasn't totally irrational I usually was able to convince them. Hope you like the new shafts and all is well with you and your dad. I love PX, enjoy!

[quote name='Snell golfer2014' timestamp='1331774611' post='4510121']
thread/
[/quote]
[/quote]

What's the lesson? You got the shafts, didn't you??

What I don't get is if you are old enough to have your own money(job) that means you probably have your own car, or have easy access to one. Then why did you take your Mom with you?

Also, my Dad and I are very close, and we've had our fights in the past. My only advice is that you have to learn how to communicate with him. Today they're golf shafts, tomorrow it might be something more important.

Good luck with the new shafts.

[quote name='TigerStrong' timestamp='1331776359' post='4510403']
Snell...what number are you on the golf team?
[/quote]
I should be number 1, but because of politics and favorites, I'm number 3

Cobra OG ZL/Rombax
TEE XCG-V/Voodoo
Adams 9031/ Pink Matrix
MB/MC/Project X
RAC/MP-T/Vokey
Endless Putters

[quote name='Shaitan' timestamp='1331795373' post='4511773']
Have you been able to play with the PXs yet, Snell?
[/quote]
I did today and the only greens I missed were because of loose drives that forced me to punch out.

Cobra OG ZL/Rombax
TEE XCG-V/Voodoo
Adams 9031/ Pink Matrix
MB/MC/Project X
RAC/MP-T/Vokey
Endless Putters

Good to hear snell. I think some of the responses on here were't the best advice. You used your money to get new shafts and like you said your dad admitted he doesn't know as much about equipment and your swing as you do. Sounds like he was mostly upset that he spent money on the clubs and you had already changed them using your money which is something that I think a lot of responses glazed over. For all the equipment ho's around here it is funny reading the responses about KBS and PX being the same.

[quote name='Snell golfer2014' timestamp='1331850235' post='4515427']
[quote name='TigerStrong' timestamp='1331776359' post='4510403']
Snell...what number are you on the golf team?
[/quote]
I should be number 1, but because of politics and favorites, I'm number 3
[/quote]
Whats the stroke average for the you and your teammates?

Nike VR Limited 10.5 BlueBoard 83x
Nike VR Limited 15* BlueBoard 83x
Adams Pro 21* Fubuki AX 82x
Adams XTD Forged 4-Pw DG
Titleist Vokey 50* 55* 60* TI DG
Scotty Cameron 009 33 Inch

[quote name='Snell golfer2014' timestamp='1331685550' post='4502537']
So back in early May, my dad and i decided that i needed some properly fit irons. So we went to a guy who used to be the main clubfitter for a major golf company. I was fitted in his garage in his house that didn't have a launch moniter, just that plastic pad that you strike and it gives you the lie angle i guess. Anyway, he gave me the correct lie, loft, and length for my clubs, but only recommended a shaft flex for me, not a type of shaft. We went with the KBS tours because they came stock with the irons. Fast forward to now, and I'm stronger and load the club much heavier and I need lower spinning shafts. I went today to get the Project X 6.0 installed in my irons with my mom. He found out and is freaking out because he paid for $800 worth of clubs (which I truly appreciate) that were "properly" fitted for me. Someone help me here!
[/quote]
You know your dad more than anyone here IMO!

So Sorry I can comment on that issue.

What I can comment and you might be able to bring it up to your dad is "YOU DIDN'T GET A TRUE FITTING, YOU JUST GET A DYNAMIC FITTING AND SHAFT RECOMMENDATION BASE ON [b]NOTHING[/b]".

MY 2 CENTS!

JOE

I'll counter that by voicing a completely different opinion. I cannot stand KBS. C tappers, ok, but the others have too high a launch, too much spin, and the feeling the tip if made of rubber on impact.[quote name='NewGeneration' timestamp='1331782390' post='4511127']
I'll still go out and say that KBS are the best ever and expect a more harsh feel with the PX.. I've had both.
[/quote]

Yamaha v202 Tour Diamana x 70
Yamaha V14 diamana stinger
RC 305V 18* diamana X 70
Yonex MB 3-P Nippon ORA
Zodia chiba masterpiece/spb
Epon Zen