TaylorMade buys Adams Golf -- CEO Mark King: “We want Adams to keep its identity”

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes he does, they will have TM badges on though. Apparently that will be good for everyone...

TaylorMade Qi10 Designer Series (Black Out) 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black / Mizuno M.Craft OMOI #1
Bridgestone Tour RX

I understand alot of the objections to the sale, but there are a few statements about the purchase that I really question. First off, the thought that TMAG bought Adams because of the speedslot issue. Frankly if that's the case, Nike takes them both down, Nike released the compression channel more than a year before Adams released the Woods with Speedslot.

Secondly, if TM is really buying Adams to get rid of it, why even bother conducting a CEO search? If they really wanted to get rid of it, they would place it as a division of TM, not a separate brand under the Adidas Group.

[quote name='Jag80' timestamp='1332444483' post='4558080']
MCoz, I've seen u post for years on many a golf website. I respect your insight and opinion. What you say about TMadidias marketing makes sense. I believe what most folks concern is Adams players line of clubs. Do u forsee the continued players line or not?
[/quote]

I would hope so, in some way. I don't think they take away what they are doing. But their market focus will be on where they can create growth which is not going to come from a players line. But I imagine that they will want to keep the "Tour" presence.
I will know more after Masters week when I see some of the "key" people.
Remember the deal is not final, meaning that it will take months to close the sale. Nothing will happen this year and maybe not too much next year due to lead times for production.

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

[quote name='Peragus4' timestamp='1332455629' post='4559000']
I understand alot of the objections to the sale, but there are a few statements about the purchase that I really question. First off, the thought that TMAG bought Adams because of the speedslot issue. Frankly if that's the case, Nike takes them both down, Nike released the compression channel more than a year before Adams released the Woods with Speedslot.

Secondly, if TM is really buying Adams to get rid of it, why even bother conducting a CEO search? If they really wanted to get rid of it, they would place it as a division of TM, not a separate brand under the Adidas Group.
[/quote]
You are correct. This company will be a separate operation. They may share some industry things that can consolidate financial issues and manufacturing (overseas). If there was an issue with the various slots, everyone would have read about them before now, because attys tend to want the publicity and the media is always looking for something to sensationalize.
People here see the news and their imagination runs with thoughts unfounded and sometimes not well thought out. And frankly not many here know about the mechanics of business at this level or related to public companies.

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

[quote name='Dugan408' timestamp='1332396802' post='4555072']
Hopefully all of the Adams engineers resign from Taylormade when the sale is final and start their own company.
[/quote]

That would be awesome! Kinda what Blackstar Amps did. Left Marshall Amps and created their own company 9 (yes I realize this is a golf forum, not a guitar forum. Same concept applys though)

I am cautiously optimistic. If tmag will just allow adams to follow its current path while boosting advertising (imo adams' only weak point) there will be plenty of cash to keep tmag happy. I recently bought a new set of irons, and after an exhausting and all encompassing search, there is a set of pro a12's in my bag. i will be incredibly depressed if that is the last set of player's clubs i get to buy from adams golf.

Although MCoz appears to be somewhat easily riled by our collective flights of speculation, the general corporate-driven points are all spot on. Many of us are avid fans of Adams' CB & MB irons, Speedline drivers, peanut hybrids, etc. but the mass perception remains, however dated, that the company specializes in GI & Womens clubs, and the development in that direction appears to be the safest, likeliest route for TMAG.

But the R&D/Prod. Dev. talent doesn't just disappear. When MacGregor was bought out and in large part buggered by Golfsmith did Don White go on to become an astronaut, a policeman or a cowboy? He continued in his craft and has gathered more renown since. Does anyone here actually know any of Adams' clubmakers by name? In all likelihood, in a few years (if there is this anticipated diaspora of talent) when the "formerly of Adams' players' clubs division" tagline begins appearing in more boutique/startup companies' press releases, you will begin to know their names and the Cult of Adams will simply evolve into the Cult of formerly-Adams.

Just look at the comments & expectations following Chip Brewer to Callaway. [Hopefully his first order of business is making a driver that doesn't fracture within your first trip to the range - I keed]

Just got some scoop from the Adams Rep that they will keep it seperate from TM, they will get a new CEO (from within the Adams company) because the previous CEO knew the events of the sale and went to Callaway.

TM will get the patent for the speed slot and dominance from the LPGA and seniors PGA.

Adams will come out with a glove and ball under the Adams name witht he help from TM.

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

[quote name='youngwaldo' timestamp='1332523148' post='4563702']
Just got some scoop from the Adams Rep that they will keep it seperate from TM, they will get a new CEO (from within the Adams company) because the previous CEO knew the events of the sale and went to Callaway.

TM will get the patent for the speed slot and dominance from the LPGA and seniors PGA.

Adams will come out with a glove and ball under the Adams name witht he help from TM.

Wk
[/quote]

Just curious, does Adams really need a ball. What kind of ball? Will it be a players ball? Honestly, my favorite balls to play are the old TaylorMade TP Black. Like it better than the either Pro Vs.

Titleist 915 D2, Motore Speeder 661

TEE XCG-7 Beta 16.5*, Ozik Red Tie 7Q3 or TaylorMade RBZ 15* w/Ozik Red Tie 7Q3

Adams Idea A12 Hybrid (21), D+ HY92
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
Vokey Spin Mill, 50, 56 (bent to 55), 60
Odyssey Versa 90 #7 (White/Black)

[quote name='youngwaldo' timestamp='1332523148' post='4563702']

Wk
[/quote]
What they tell employees immediately after a buy-out is always very positive things. "Nothing will change, just keep doing what you've always done" and then things are actually analyzed and changes are made later.

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

[quote name='MCoz' timestamp='1332460210' post='4559360']
And frankly not many here know about the mechanics of business at this level or related to public companies.
[/quote]
Honestly the more you know about public companies the more you should be expecting Adams to be screwed up when all is said done, haha....I've seen it happen plenty of times.

Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

I dont understand the hatred toward TM. Tm definately makes quality clubs for all players. If they are so horrible, why does it seem like half the tour is using their stuff? Why does their tour issue stuff sell for such a premium and sell almost instantly? There is a world outside of golf wrx, and those Sunday hackers and slashers are the people that keep the golf business going. If you don't like TM, fine dont play them, but it doesnt mean they suck because you dont like them.

[quote name='WVP' timestamp='1332532992' post='4564756']
And frankly not many here know about the mechanics of business at this level or related to public companies.
[/quote]
Honestly the more you know about public companies the more you should be expecting Adams to be screwed up when all is said done, haha....I've seen it happen plenty of times.
[/quote]

First of all, it is likely that I know a whole lot more about public companies than almost anyone here. And it is relevant knowledge. A company I founded back in the 80's (not in the golf industry), went public and while having success, it has returned to privately controlled corporation that is not publicly traded. This controlling company has several other major successful companies and brands in the same industry, they have put a lot of money and marketing into my old company and have increased the distribution and the brand has found even more success. Actually a very similar situation. I own another business in the same industry and yet I am a consultant for the previous company mentioned.
I have been around and personally involved in all levels of business and companies. So I am not a wild speculator nor am I financially involved in the TMAG/Adams deal. But I do know many of those involved and I know the "territory" of these deals because I have personally been involved and had a stake in this kind of business.

[quote name='kjn122' timestamp='1332513846' post='4562768']
Although MCoz appears to be somewhat easily riled by our collective flights of speculation, the general corporate-driven points are all spot on. Many of us are avid fans of Adams' CB & MB irons, Speedline drivers, peanut hybrids, etc. but the mass perception remains, however dated, that the company specializes in GI & Womens clubs, and the development in that direction appears to be the safest, likeliest route for TMAG.

But the R&D/Prod. Dev. talent doesn't just disappear. When MacGregor was bought out and in large part buggered by Golfsmith did Don White go on to become an astronaut, a policeman or a cowboy? He continued in his craft and has gathered more renown since. Does anyone here actually know any of Adams' clubmakers by name? In all likelihood, in a few years (if there is this anticipated diaspora of talent) when the "formerly of Adams' players' clubs division" tagline begins appearing in more boutique/startup companies' press releases, you will begin to know their names and the Cult of Adams will simply evolve into the Cult of formerly-Adams.

Just look at the comments & expectations following Chip Brewer to Callaway. [Hopefully his first order of business is making a driver that doesn't fracture within your first trip to the range - I keed]
[/quote]

I am sorry but the corporate driven points are not all really spot on. SEE POST NUMBER 108.
By the way I know Don White and he has done some stuff for me.
I understand what is going on here and I know the players. That's why I am a bit riled by "ne'er-do-wells" with unsubstantiated accusations.

So for those that have an opinion and know what's really going on I have a few questions about this Taylormade buying Adams deal.

who here believes that:

[list=1][*]This is Adams running out of money, after blowing their brains out, doing the r&d for all the clubs that they currently have out?[*]This is Taylormade buying out the competition, because they can, and they want some of the tech that Adams currently has?[*]This is a deal between Adams and Taylormade,because of the "creep"by Taylormade into Adams tech and Adams can't fight the patent battle?[*]This is Adams founders and investors just wanting the money...and are running to the bank?[/list]Further, who here believes that line that TM will allow Adams to operate independantly and maintain the same product line that they currently have?

Come on seriously?...the reporters swallowed that 'Kool Aid'?

Let the debates begin! Curious minds want to know

Devlin

Adams sales rep told me for one reason TM bought Adams was for the speed slot technology.

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

[quote name='MCoz' timestamp='1332567372' post='4568498']
[quote name='WVP' timestamp='1332532992' post='4564756']
[/quote]
[/quote]

First of all, it is likely that I know a whole lot more about public companies than almost anyone here. And it is relevant knowledge. A company I founded back in the 80's (not in the golf industry), went public and while having success, it has returned to privately controlled corporation that is not publicly traded. This controlling company has several other major successful companies and brands in the same industry, they have put a lot of money and marketing into my old company and have increased the distribution and the brand has found even more success. Actually a very similar situation. I own another business in the same industry and yet I am a consultant for the previous company mentioned.
I have been around and personally involved in all levels of business and companies. So I am not a wild speculator nor am I financially involved in the TMAG/Adams deal. But I do know many of those involved and I know the "territory" of these deals because I have personally been involved and had a stake in this kind of business.
[/quote]

Definitely sounds like you have plenty of experience in the game and business of golf. Not going to discredit that. Still, I don't think it's unreasonable for fans of Adams' products to be concerned, and at this point no one knows with any certainty what Adams will look like 3-4 years from now.

Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

[quote name='youngwaldo' timestamp='1332594288' post='4569240']
Adams sales rep told me for one reason TM bought Adams was for the speed slot technology.

Wk
[/quote]
Ben Hogan Golf also had a speed slot technology years ago and now ? The Company is dead !

Titleist TSR2 Driver 10*

Titleist TSI2 16.5*

Titleist TSR1 hybrid 20*

Titleist U510 4 iron

Titleist C16 Limited 5-GW

Titleist Vokey SM9 54° & 58°

Scotty Cameron Newport 2+ Special Select

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Scotty Cameron Newport 2

[quote name='youngwaldo' timestamp='1332594288' post='4569240']

Wk
[/quote]
That is not true. There is no trademark issue between the two. If there was TM could have licensed that for a small fraction of the $70 mil purchase price.
It has been noted continuously that the company reps knowledge is in their product, they are not privy to inside company business and this is precisely why, confidential info would be public immediately. His statement was a defensive comment. I am not calling him a liar. Often reps hear things from above that might imply something else that sounds "good". I can tell you that he didn't get that info from a company memo.

Reps in any business segment making claims after acquisition is par for the course, I've been through this 2x in business and was told EXACTLY the same thing. It takes about 1yr give or take for the new Corp to quietly review the business and begin to implement reductions, Adams is R.I.P as we know it...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

[quote]Honestly, I think folks are just overreacting. There's always that risk of a product line being removed from circulation, but what works will probably be incorporated into TaylorMade somehow or allow to stand on its own. What doesn't will be phased out. I don't think the quality of what Adams put out was in question. It just didn't translate into sales, which is the bottom line of any company. MB2s are outstanding. But if you're only selling 50 sets a month (arbitrary number), it's a failure.

Adams wouldn't be in this position if people were buying their stuff and if they were aggressively marketed...a la[b]...I don't know...like TaylorMade. They were losing money. TaylorMade threw it a lifeline, because they saw potential in the brand and in what they were doing. And frankly, they could.
[/b][/quote]

[quote] you have ZERO clue to what your talking about. Its funny watching everyone chirping and suggesting they have all the answers. Adams recorded record profits last quarter and has shown SIGNIFICANT growth over the last 5 years. The reason they were in this position is because the existing board members wanted something different than the past CEO (Chip Brewer) With the illiquidity of the stock, the old board members (the Gregory brothers and Roland Casanti) wanted the profits put back into the stocks instead of R&D and that wasn't the direction the CEO wanted or had been taken the last 9 years....so he had to either get rid of them before they got rid of him. One of the two ways to get rid of them was to dissolve the board by selling the company. It appears he couldn't get the deal done quick enough, so he left.

I don't want to point out the obvious...but I'd suggest buying Cally stock.:drinks:
[/quote]
[quote]Nice to hear from someone that has a clue! There are so many "pretenders" here that have no idea or concept of business and what goes on. As for Brewer, I wish him luck. Callaway has a tough go ahead of it (and they have treated me well in the past. Roger Cleveland their chief-designer is a friend. I hope it goes better for them.
[/quote]

...are you suggesting that brewer is going to callaway?

and even if that is a yes, so what? he has to start from the beginning again...last time I checked CEO's don't own intellectual property rights.

Taylormade agreeds to buy adams for one reason and one reason only, the RD that Adams and Mr Brewer, as you suggested , was developing with the company. Now that he's left, despite Callaways deeper pockets for RD, Cally is still in trouble. So what would? or better yet, what can Brewer do at Callaway? Callaway is also a much bigger company that can change direction on demand...

Lastly, although you are talking about following the money, the reality is that TM doesnt spend money foolishly, so unless they were getting something back in return. If this was true then TM would of bough cobra to keep it out of the hands of Puma.

So for TM ... the way a "layman" sees it, is simply about the RD and the intellectual property from Adams...its certainly not for the money that "...Adams has been making during the last 5 years..."

So maybe yes, the shareholders should be starting legal action against the board...because it sure looks like the adams board was just chasing the money!