David Duval a free agent again?

[quote name='wesr' timestamp='1332433330' post='4556916']
[quote name='puttingmatt' timestamp='1332424403' post='4556002']
Scratch, like many boutique companies struggle to get their products
the tour recognition that the big OEM's seem to enjoy. It is a tough business
good products or not . Unfortunately, could end up like a few other smaller
companies, good products or not !!!
[/quote]

Not everything has to grow into a Wal-Mart. If you make a quality product, the buyers will flock to you. Does the growth mean a drop off in quality? Apple computer has margins around 50% vs HP who can't even turn a profit on their most popular computers. Apple grew to be the largest company and has always put a priority on quality. Scratch believes in their product, and that product is different sole grinds to fit that player. I think Scratch is focusing on quality as opposed to maximum growth.

It is so annoying that people talk about the ATV wedge like it is the one fits all. Maybe that ATV wedge fits you really really well. Sergio put a custom grind on his ATV wedge. If you don't like Scratch clubs, you probably haven't been fit by them. The carbon steel is the softest used in the industry, the head weights are spot on, the loft and lie are spot on, and you can get exactly what you want. As a clubmaker, I have seen such crap come from the big oem's. The head weights are all off. The shaft weights are all off. It makes it really hard to make a frequency matched, swing weighted set of clubs.

I think it is a bit contradictory that people say Scratch makes a poor product and that Duval can't get something he likes. Don White can make him or anyone else for that matter, anything they want. Don White could remake a Bridgestone J40. It can't be about the quality of the club.

[/quote]
These clubs are not available for me to see at larger pro golf shops in the Detroit area.
I will not buy clubs unseen or fitted from an online retailer. Whether good quality or not,
If you can't see them, you are losing a potential sale !! Marketing and availability are key
to sales !! Would much rather try them before I take someone's word about it !!!
Why don't the guys at scratch do a demo day at various locations ??? Could get
fit and get some sales !!

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote]How much longer do we have until the ATV wedges take over? Mine gave me 11 more yards.

just what I'm looking for in a wedge eleven more yards????? The last thing I am looking for in a wedge is extra yardage. I want precise distance.
[/quote]

I'm 100% sure that was cynicism...

mizuno-tour-knit-pom_black_charcoal_01__02597.jpg.1afb778db4a607f23063a0af4089f6a8.jpg

Callaway Paradym 9* (Kinetixx Velocity)
Tour Edge C722 3wd 
Titleist u505/Tour Edge C722 3H/Callaway Mavrik Max 5wd 
Tour Edge C722 4H

Srixon Z85 5U 
Mizuno 225 6-GW (PX IO 6.0)
Vokey SM9 54D & 60T
Odyssey Stroke Lab Tuttle or Scotty Futura X 35" (SS Pistol 1.0 w/ 50g CW)

[quote name='medic170979' timestamp='1332731135' post='4580510']
[quote]How much longer do we have until the ATV wedges take over? Mine gave me 11 more yards.

just what I'm looking for in a wedge eleven more yards????? The last thing I am looking for in a wedge is extra yardage. I want precise distance.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Or sarcasm.

nooooooooooo.....?!

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1332735903' post='4581040']
[quote name='medic170979' timestamp='1332731135' post='4580510']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Or sarcasm.
[/quote]

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

I switched out my 4-6 rac tp mbs with AR-1's earlier this year. I really regretted selling my old combo set of ar-1/sb-1 awhile back. Scratch may not be the big name company, but their irons are high quality and perform as well as any other iron out there. I can say this after testing out many Japanese and domestic offerings. Their problem is not so much the product that they sell, but that they can't compete from a marketing standpoint like Cally and TM can for example. This is why most casual golfers don't even know or hear about Scratch. If they could reach a broader range of golfers with TV/magazine ads, etc., I think this would definately help them get more exposure and boost sales as well. As for DD, I don't think he's with Scratch anymore.

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

To be a successful niche player, Scratch needs to develop a club with significant desirable performance characteristics, so much so, they develop a true cult following by dedicated golfers. Much like a video goes viral. This used to happen in the club market years ago. Something caught fire, and everyone bought. This is how companies are made. Ti Shafts, Pittsburgh Persimmon, Adams hybrids, Ping Eye 2, etc. etc. These companies were not big at the time. Scratch has not done this.

[quote name='andy-uk' timestamp='1332527238' post='4564158']
With the amount of money on tour, its amazing anyone plays equipment they don't get paid for. The only thing that can improve our games is proper fitting. Miura and Epon don't sponsor anyone.

I notice KJ Choi has dropped his Miura in favor of Ping i20's

Funny that..............All these super amazing fantastic japanesse hand forged in the crack of mount doom by darth vader himself clubs, and KJ pick's cheap cast irons JAT.....
[/quote]

What he picked is a sponsor that pays endorsement money.

KJ has played shovels for a long time.

IF you had the money you'd buy what you want, not what you can afford.

[quote name='idrive' timestamp='1332833185' post='4590022']
With the amount of money on tour, its amazing anyone plays equipment they don't get paid for. The only thing that can improve our games is proper fitting. Miura and Epon don't sponsor anyone.

Funny that..............All these super amazing fantastic japanesse hand forged in the crack of mount doom by darth vader himself clubs, and KJ pick's cheap cast irons JAT.....
[/quote]

[/quote]

No I would,as I do,buy clubs that work not clubs that say look at me! how cool am I......This ia a game of How many NOT how much!!!!

TITLEIST 913D2 9* rip 60s
TITLEIST 906F2 15* Stock Titleist s
TAYLORMADE RESCUE 09 19* rip std
MIZUNO MP H4 4
MIZUNO MP54 5-PW s300
MIZUNO MP-T4 52* 56*
SCOTTY CAMERON NEWPORT
CALLAWAY SR2

[quote name='wesr' timestamp='1332462484' post='4559588']
[quote name='Ohpoh' timestamp='1332462083' post='4559530']
[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1332348305' post='4550278']
+1
[/quote]
+2
[/quote]
Cults can be very powerful. Illuminati
[/quote]
Can we stop with all the weird "Illuminati" posts!!

We're trying t talk golf here!! Do three people make a cult! Do you actually even golf?! Or just troll the internet?
:WTF:

TM '07 Burner TP 8.5° Protopype 80X
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5° PX 10A2
Adams Pro Idea Gold 18° PX HB6
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
Cleveland 588 RTG 51°/56°/60°
The Wilson 8802

[quote name='puttingmatt' timestamp='1332528377' post='4564292']
[quote name='wesr' timestamp='1332433330' post='4556916']
[quote name='puttingmatt' timestamp='1332424403' post='4556002']
Scratch, like many boutique companies struggle to get their products
the tour recognition that the big OEM's seem to enjoy. It is a tough business
good products or not . Unfortunately, could end up like a few other smaller
companies, good products or not !!!
[/quote]

Not everything has to grow into a Wal-Mart. If you make a quality product, the buyers will flock to you. Does the growth mean a drop off in quality? Apple computer has margins around 50% vs HP who can't even turn a profit on their most popular computers. Apple grew to be the largest company and has always put a priority on quality. Scratch believes in their product, and that product is different sole grinds to fit that player. I think Scratch is focusing on quality as opposed to maximum growth.

It is so annoying that people talk about the ATV wedge like it is the one fits all. Maybe that ATV wedge fits you really really well. Sergio put a custom grind on his ATV wedge. If you don't like Scratch clubs, you probably haven't been fit by them. The carbon steel is the softest used in the industry, the head weights are spot on, the loft and lie are spot on, and you can get exactly what you want. As a clubmaker, I have seen such crap come from the big oem's. The head weights are all off. The shaft weights are all off. It makes it really hard to make a frequency matched, swing weighted set of clubs.

I think it is a bit contradictory that people say Scratch makes a poor product and that Duval can't get something he likes. Don White can make him or anyone else for that matter, anything they want. Don White could remake a Bridgestone J40. It can't be about the quality of the club.

[/quote]
These clubs are not available for me to see at larger pro golf shops in the Detroit area.
I will not buy clubs unseen or fitted from an online retailer. Whether good quality or not,
If you can't see them, you are losing a potential sale !! Marketing and availability are key
to sales !! Would much rather try them before I take someone's word about it !!!
Why don't the guys at scratch do a demo day at various locations ??? Could get
fit and get some sales !!
[/quote]

Precision Golf in Brighton is a licensed dealer and has the SB1, AR1 and EZ1 available for demo. The wedges (all available stock grinds) are availabe also. You don't see Scratch at places like Carl's Golf Land, because Carl's, as large as they are, can't move the product. Carl's business model is not designed to fit you into the perfect club (not that they don't do fittings), it's designed to sell you what they have in stock. Scratch has done demo days at Carls and local Golfsmiths in the past and they received a fair amount of traffic, but it likely didn't translate into huge orders for Scratch. The Scratch business model is to fit you into the best irons/wedges for your game, which in most cases will necessitate an order. Most people don't go to a store to place an order, they go to take home a product. Boutique shops like Precision Golf exsist because they don't stock a lot of product but they cater to the people that want to take the time to be fit (rather that be Scratch or one of the major OEMs) and don't mind waiting for their clubs.

I have a set of the original SB1's (only 60 sets made from what I was told) and three tour department wedges that you are welcome to try if you would like. PM me if your interested.

[quote name='andy-uk' timestamp='1332347783' post='4550230']
Unless your on golfwrx,you don't hear much about scratch golf.Just another cult brand if you ask me.People hear seem to get very excited but having stamping on their wedges which scratch do very nicely
[/quote]

Very good point, but delivered with terrible grammar!!! :)

[quote name='andy-uk' timestamp='1332835148' post='4590066']
[quote name='idrive' timestamp='1332833185' post='4590022']

[/quote]

[/quote]

No I would,as I do,buy clubs that work not clubs that say look at me! how cool am I......This ia a game of How many NOT how much!!!!
[/quote]
Remember many on this site subscribe to the old saw featured on Saturday Night Live so many times:
"It is not about how you feel, but how you look! And I looook maah-vel-ous".
. . . well there are posers and there are players!
So if you really care you should be more concerned about how your bag looks than what your game looks like. :deadhorse::fool:

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

I wonder what happened between 1/31 and 2/9 when he went through the Darrell Survey count at Pebble with Bridgestone?

[quote name='ladahl' timestamp='1332507981' post='4562178']
They were with DD on 01/31...

Even had a new set of Antique irons made-up for him

quote name='From_Parts_Unknown' timestamp='1332468437' post='4560314']
This is old news boys. According to the Darrell Survey, Duval has been playing the Bridgestone irons since Pebble this year.

I wouldn't blame Scratch's PR Firm either. From what I've heard, their PR Firm hasn't worked with them since last Summer.
[/quote]

YIKES!

[quote name='From_Parts_Unknown' timestamp='1332948040' post='4598495']
I wonder what happened between 1/31 and 2/9 when he went through the Darrell Survey count at Pebble with Bridgestone?

[quote name='ladahl' timestamp='1332507981' post='4562178']
They were with DD on 01/31...

Even had a new set of Antique irons made-up for him

quote name='From_Parts_Unknown' timestamp='1332468437' post='4560314']
This is old news boys. According to the Darrell Survey, Duval has been playing the Bridgestone irons since Pebble this year.

I wouldn't blame Scratch's PR Firm either. From what I've heard, their PR Firm hasn't worked with them since last Summer.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

[quote name='zzmkdw' timestamp='1332862046' post='4591586']

Precision Golf in Brighton is a licensed dealer and has the SB1, AR1 and EZ1 available for demo. The wedges (all available stock grinds) are availabe also. You don't see Scratch at places like Carl's Golf Land, because Carl's, as large as they are, can't move the product. Carl's business model is not designed to fit you into the perfect club (not that they don't do fittings), it's designed to sell you what they have in stock. Scratch has done demo days at Carls and local Golfsmiths in the past and they received a fair amount of traffic, but it likely didn't translate into huge orders for Scratch. The Scratch business model is to fit you into the best irons/wedges for your game, which in most cases will necessitate an order. Most people don't go to a store to place an order, they go to take home a product. Boutique shops like Precision Golf exsist because they don't stock a lot of product but they cater to the people that want to take the time to be fit (rather that be Scratch or one of the major OEMs) and don't mind waiting for their clubs.

I have a set of the original SB1's (only 60 sets made from what I was told) and three tour department wedges that you are welcome to try if you would like. PM me if your interested.
[/quote]

Miles of Golf used to carry their stuff as well, though last time I was in there, I could not find any of their product (except for a couple stragglers in the used rack).

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

I guess what surprises me about this Duval development is that there is not an explanation from either party on this. The guys at Scratch certainly owe no one an explanation of something like this, but as active as they are on golfwrx it just seems like there is something going on. Remembering back to the Ryan Moore departure, the Duval situation doesn't appear that it is being handled as publicly. Also, as of this morning, Duval is still on their website.

Do we even know if he has formally left Scratch?

I hear he was messing around with Bridgestone balls, and a few clubs recently on the Florida swing.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

Wedges have always been the strong part of my game. I purchased a custom made Scratch wedge based on recommendations from this forum and it left me "scratching" my head. It was just plain terrible. Come to thing of it, I purchased pure shoes and a tour exotic driver based on recommendations here and they sucked too.
On the other hand my MP59's and R11 driver were purchased based on reviews and I love them. Ditto my new Adams hybrid.

Bottom line, try before you buy and different equipment for different folks. For me Scratch is off the radar.