Throwdown! Q-Star, Z-Star SL, NXT Tour S & Hex Chrome

tbowles411

Post #8000! Yay Me! :)
On the occasion of this being exactly my 8,000th post in almost 7 years, I wanted to make it a productive one. No, it has nothing to do with Bubba winning the Masters (though it was pretty cool) or Tiger, Rory or Phil (thankfully!)

While traveling to visit family, I got to play golf with my brother-in-law (who incidentally I’ve only beaten once in 7 years…but it WAS glorious!). Since it was Masters weekend, I decided to take some new golf balls out to test (and one kind of new one that people are asking about here).

I grabbed a couple sleeves of the following balls:

Titelist NXT Tour S (Yellow)
Srixon Z Star SL (Yellow)
Srixon Q Star (Yellow)
Callaway Hex Chrome (Not Yellow…yet! :D)

About me: I’m 41 (for a few more days anyway) and I’m a 24 capper, and will freely admit it, but it’s my short game that holds me back. I get out and play a 2-3 times a month, spousal and son permitting! I have a swing speed of about 85-95 MPH. If I’m on tempo, I’m swinging under 90. If I need to step on the gas a bit, I can get up to 95, but no more. I prefer yellow because, simply, it’s easier to see. I’m a big believer in the Nicklaus Method: If you need to hit a distance, try to use the right club instead of changing your swing.

The test: I knew I was going to play 27 holes that day on two separate courses. So I tried to put each ball into play at least 5 of those holes. I knew I would lean towards a ball near the end that I liked more, but I went into it with an open mind. I tried to also put myself into situations where I knew I people would be interested. While I didn’t want to hit into the rough, I knew I would with each ball (just keeping it real). Par 3’s, Par 5’s, etc, and of course, tee shots. I won’t bore you with ALL the details, but I’ll give you my impressions and the highlights, mixed in with a couple low-lights!

I used a Garmin G6 GPS to measure distances so I could give a pretty accurate accounting that I hit, with roll. Remember, these are MY distances. Your mileage may vary! :D I’ll review by order of price.

Srixon Q-Star

Performance: This is my normal ball. It’s a 2-piece and I like it because of the limited sidespin I get off the driver face, but still get some spin off my irons and wedges to make the ball stop on high shots, and check up before it rolls out off my wedges on more delicate chips and pitches. So Peter Jacobson was right on all those commercials. The ball is easier to keep in play because as long as you put a half decent swing on it, it’s going to stay in play. The ball wants to go straight. I tried to draw it and fade it. It just wants to go in a straight line. Face it: If you’re above a 20, and in some cases a 15 and up, you’re probably not trying to do anything other than to make the ball go where you’re aiming. I usually get decent results. My longest drive with this ball was 262 yards, but I averaged 253 yards. It feels relatively soft off the driver face, irons and putter, but harder than the rest of the balls I’ve used that day.

Durability: The ball cover is one tough mother. It’s not going to scuff easily and is a touch heavier than the other balls I’ve tried. Maybe it’s just me, but I’m sure this has an affect on spin and distance.

Overall: You have to decide what’s right for you: Performance or price? While we all want both, this is not going to be a Z-Star, or they wouldn’t have made it and it would be $45 a box. Overall, this is a good ball. Better than a Top Flite in my opinion, but to many, that’s not saying much. Worth a good look or a sleeve to try. It’s a nice ball for the money ($25 a box)

Titelist NXT Tour S

Performance: As a rule, I’ve never played anything from Titelist for long, even a Scotty Cameron. It’s a personal bias. I had a bad rep who ticked me off, so I banned them from my bag, back and feet. So what gives now? Simply, Jim Nantz told me to! I’m a sucker for marketing and that syrupy Masters announcer voice got me. :D

What impressed me most about this ball was the spin, or lack of it off the driver face and the approach spin I got off my irons and wedges. One shot in particular was impressive. I was standing on a Par 3, 168 over water on a slightly elevated green. I took an extra club and played a 5 iron. It took off like a missile and dropped in nice and soft to about 15 feet…then it backed up almost 5 feet. Spin on the ball! ME! Of course, I three-jacked it. My longest drive was little better at 265 yards, but I averaged 255. Still very respectable. Sidespin control was still good (just a touch more), as with the Q-Star but the ball was a little softer.

Durability: Light scuff marks, but nothing that affected play.

Overall: A nice ball…even for a Titelist! LOL Honestly, it’s a good offering. It’s not going to perform like a premium ball, even though it’s a little more expensive. ($32) Is it better than the Q-Star? Overall, no, not for an extra $7 a box, but it is a very good ball.

Callaway Hex Chrome

Performance: I used Callaway products for years…and then went away from them after the X-20s. They went off the reservation. So I really didn’t expect much from them. I’m not Phil Mickelson and never will be confused for him (being a balding black guy with a gut!) But I figured, “A soft 3 piece? Why not!” Honestly, I’ll tell you now, this was for me, the best ball of the bunch distance wise. This ball FLEW. Like it’s older brother the Hex Black, it’s supposed to hold the wind. It did. Very well. My longest drive of the day came from this ball (271 yards)...without stepping on the gas! But my distance was up overall with an average of 262 yards. But the eye test won me over because when this ball took flight it kept going…and going…and going, then it rolled for a LONG time. Even my B-I-L took notice and asked for one. He played this ball for the rest of the day. Literally, the REST of the day (bastxxx didn't lose a ball all day!). He was murdering this thing. When I played it, I could swear I felt the ball compress. It felt like a marshmallow and just took off. When it came to greens, it performed as well. It held them quite well and stopped dead on the greens. Now I was watching my B-I-L play as well and he’s a bomber. He was making his ball dance. Straight, high flight, slightly more spin than the Tour S, but almost no driver spin to speak of. I made this ball back up as well with wedges. Soft off the driver, irons and putter. I was very happy with it.

Durability: This is where Callaway balls used to really lack. You could rip the cover off pretty easily. Not so with this one. It took a beating. One even hit a tree and there was a small nick on it and it just kept going. One met an untimely demise when I began to get a little tired and hooked one into a creek. My B-I-L’s ball was worn because he used it for almost 14 holes, but still very usable.

Overall: I ended up playing this ball for actually most of the day. That’s how much I liked it. I just want it in yellow. :D But for a ball like this, I’d expect to pay a bit more than I did ($36).

Srixon Z Star SL

Performance: Being a Srixon guy, I had high expectations for this ball. This is also a softer 3-piece ball that performed as well as the Callaway. I didn’t have my longest drives with it, but my longest was 267 yards with my average at 259. It too was pretty soft, but not as soft as the Callaway, but still felt good off all the clubs. Sidespin was very nice as well, and I was rewarded with high, straight flight. It held the wind fairly well, but on the highest of shots, we saw it moving a bit from my intended target. But definitely not bad. Short game and approach spin was very good. In fact, better than the Callaway for me.

Durability: As expected, very durable. Not a mark on it.

Overall: I’d use this ball without hesitation. It’s kind of a mix of a Q-Star and a Z-Star XV, but it’s for mere mortals like me with less driver spin. It’s the most expensive of all the balls at $46 a box, but you are getting a lot for it. IMO, this should sell better than the Q Star for most folks here on the Wrx that fancies themselves as a PLAYAH, but wants a more forgiving ball.

So, my overall impressions? I’d be quite happy with any of these in my bag, but I have to give the nod to the Callaway. As soon as they make it in yellow it will become my go-to ball, and for me, that’s saying a lot. But for durability, Srixon just has something strange where I can’t scuff them unless I start abusing it. All of these are very good. For higher handicappers, the Q-Star should be a honest choice. You’re not giving anything up by choosing it for sure. Titelist is just Titelist. Period. You know it’s going to be good, but somehow I think the name is driving up the expense of the ball.

I hope this helps someone out there. As a more seasoned GolfWrx member, I like giving back to the site when I can. I’d be happy to answer any questions about them.

G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0

G410 5, 7 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0

G710 4-UW - Accra 70i

Glide 3.0 54ES, 58WS Accra 70i

PING Bruzer

PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch & Craz-E **Backups**

(My son is waiting patiently for the G425 woods so he can take my old ones!)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, those are all balls I am interested in.

With those average drive distances, and if you normally use a 6 iron for 168 yards, you are much faster than 85-95 MPH, though.

M4 Driver D-type
XR16 5 & 9 woods

4,5 hybrids (22,25 degrees)  Adams
6-GW Maltby STi irons, graphite
54 & 58º Wedges
Odyssey Jailbird Mini

Maybe, but I doubt it. It was total yardage. I got a lot of roll on a dormant course. I also use graphite shafts in my irons.

G710 4-UW - Accra 70i

PING Bruzer

[quote name='dgn' timestamp='1334016272' post='4688504']
Nice reviews. I keep hearing good things about the Callaway HX Chrome. Like you, I really wish it came in yellow like the others.
[/quote]
I'm hearing that at the end of May they're supposed to come in yellow.

G710 4-UW - Accra 70i

PING Bruzer

Great review -- thanks for doing this test.

I just got the May issue of Golf Digest, and it includes a robot test of half-wedge spin for all of the balls you tested. The Callaway Hex Chrome had the highest half-wedge spin of all the balls they tested that cost $36/doz or less (and was virtually identical to the regular Z-Star - not the SL or XV). The order of half-wedge spin was as follows (from most to least spin):

1. Callaway Hex Chrome
2. Srixon Z-Star SL
3. Srixon Q-Star
4. Titleist NXT Tour S

The Q-Star and NXT Tour S had almost identical spin, while the SL was a bit higher and approached the spin of the Chrome. (Staying within the Srixon line, the SL had spin rates that were almost identical to the XV.) All of the balls you tested had medium launch angles on half-wedge shots when compared to the slightly lower launch of the urethane "tour" balls and the higher launch of the non-urethane "budget" balls.

SDL

Really nice write up on the 'Throwdown' T !!

I tried a sleeve of the chrome to see what it would do against my usual TP Blaack LDP.

I have to agree with you on all counts, GREAT effortless distance, really nice spin into the green
and soft feel, but not mushy.

Cally Hex Reds were my go to ball before they were disco'ed and I found the Black LDPs the best replacement.

Now the Hex Chrome has come along. Softer, longer with more spin than the 'Red and the LDP. It's going to be in the bag this season.

I bought a few doz for $25 per shipped from Ebay. That's not and uncommon price so I hope when / if the

yellows come out, you can get a good deal on them.

Thanks again for taking the time to share such a thorough write up !

Great review, thanks. I've been curious about the Chrome myself, because I'm ultimately a weekend golfer and don't need to be spending $45 a dozen. Been looking at the Diablo Tour, Burner TP/Tour, and TP3 as well. Played last week with a sleeve of NXT Tours and those were pretty decent considering how firm the course was. I'm resigned to the fact that nothing as of yet will be as good as my favorite TM TP Reds, of which I still have about 3 precious dozens.

So when are we playing T? :D

Cobra King Ltd, Speeder TS 6.2
Callaway BBA 816, Accra CS1 80
Adams A12, Diamana Thump
TM TP MC/MB, KBS Tour 
Vokey 254.10, V-Grind 60*, DG S400
Ping Anser TR

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1334147583' post='4699262']
Great review, thanks. I've been curious about the Chrome myself, because I'm ultimately a weekend golfer and don't need to be spending $45 a dozen. Been looking at the Diablo Tour, Burner TP/Tour, and TP3 as well. Played last week with a sleeve of NXT Tours and those were pretty decent considering how firm the course was. I'm resigned to the fact that nothing as of yet will be as good as my favorite TM TP Reds, of which I still have about 3 precious dozens.

So when are we playing T? :D
[/quote]
Let's set something up. Make Mr. Yoo make an appearance!

G710 4-UW - Accra 70i

PING Bruzer

Nice review.

I have been playing the 330RX and the ZSTAR for a few years now. I picked a dozen of the Hex Chrome and have played it 2 rounds. Actually I have played the same ball for 36 holes - have not hit the other 2 in the sleeve yet. The cover is durable, plays nicely into the wind, has great feel from driver to putter, is superb in the short game, and seems to be longer.

The only other balls I want to try are the TP3 and ZSTAR SL. Given the performance of the Hex Chrome, I am not even sure I want to test the others. But, just in case...

And T - I have been on this site for nearly 6 years and have <100 posts. Maybe now that I have retired I'll catch up to you someday.

awesome review! played the Q-Star last season and was pretty happy with it. I wil throw in that I really enjoyed playing the NXT Tour (non S model) and that was a great ball. Like you said very little side spin, but a quick check up or even a slight back spin with the irons and wedges.

I played a TP3 today on a short 9-hole Par 3 course but can't really give a full review on it because we were super rushed trying to finish all 9 before the sun went down. It seems like it would be a ball that would fall under the same category of the balls you reviewed.

Great thread.

I have been trying out the Hex Chrome, ZStar SL and NXT Tour S as well on my last 5 rounds.

Been comparing them to the NXT Tour and Burner Tour from last year as well as a Trispeed Tour.

My swing speed with the driver is around 93mph. Hit my seven iron 150 yards.

I have been playing ZSars for the past few years so I am used to a nice soft feeling ball with great durability.

They are all good balls. The older NXT Tour is a bit firm feeling when compared to the others. Burner Tour is really soft. Others are about the same.

However the ZStar SL was noticeably shorter with the driver for me. It seemed to launch very high for me and fall out of the sky with no roll at all. About 20 yards shorter than the others. This was surprising to me as I have had good luck with the ZStar and TriSpeed in the past. I usually hit a high straight ball in the first place so I guess the SL just launches too high for me. Might be spin related but cannot tell unless we use a launch monitor.

Distance for the others all seemed to be about the same.

Like some of the others I prefer the Hex Chrome so far. I got good distance with it, nice feeling ball, bites the green and seems to be durable. The last Callaway balls I used were the Tour (i) from a few years ago. The Chromes are a bit longer and a bit more durable than those were.

NXT S and ZStar SL also seem durable. I remember using some of the older NXT tours from a few years ago and they would not last long.

Driver: Titleist  Tsi2
FW's: Callaway Rogue 4w
Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 5-SW
Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
Handicap 9
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others

Good review of not the usual suspects.

Being very fond of the Q-Star and Z-Star, I put the Z-Star SL into play as soon as I could. My experience with it is different than others have reported here. The SL is just as long, and usually longer than the regular Z-Star. I get some really good pop off my driver with the SL and the feel around greens is very good. It is a very soft ball, and easy to compress. Of course, it is also available in yellow.

Well I have now played 54 holes with the same HX Chrome ball out of the original sleeve I put in play last week. This ball holds its line into the wind, is longer for me, has great spin around the greens, and is quite durable as I have hit a tree with it and bounced it off a cart path. On the 18th hole yesterday I had about 120 yards to a slightly elevated green over a greenside trap from just off the fairway with a right to left crosswind. I aimed just right of the flag, directly over the trap, and hit a pitching wedge to 10 feet. The ball was pin high about 12 inches in front of its pitch mark. I am not a high spin player, but this ball is remarkable - especially considering I had played 54 holes with it. BTW - lipped out the putt, but I'll take par any day.

[quote name='Crab Daddy' timestamp='1334351661' post='4716708']
Ditto - very good review.

Where do you think the e6 fits in? I've played both the e6 and Q Star, but never side by side. My impression was that the e6 did a better job of reducing side spin, but at the end of a round I always seemed to have the same Q Star I started with.
[/quote]
The e6 is made for more straightening out those errant slices and hooks. It's a soft ball and very good at what it does. To me it would fall more in line of the Q-Star to help keep the ball in play, but it may do a better job of it. That said, I personally don't care for it. It's not as durable as I would have hoped. But it is definately an option.

G710 4-UW - Accra 70i

PING Bruzer

[quote name='SwooshLT' timestamp='1334439991' post='4722084']
Have you tried the 2012 B'stone RX and RXS? The S model has awesome greenside spin with a compressable feel but not mushy....I might have to do my own THROWDOWN!! :partytime2:
[/quote]
I haven't tried this years offerings yet. I will probably pick up a sleeve of each to see if they have improved. But just on the face of it, the dimple in dimple technology that Callaway/Top Flite created a few years back does work, very well in fact. But at $45 a box, it might not get me to switch up from what I like at this point. But I do like a softer ball to limit spin & keep me out of the forest! :)

G710 4-UW - Accra 70i

PING Bruzer

[quote name='maskedman' timestamp='1334486913' post='4724610']
Good review of [b]not the usual suspects[/b].

Being very fond of the Q-Star and Z-Star, I put the Z-Star SL into play as soon as I could. My experience with it is different than other have reported here. The SL is just as long, and usually longer than the regular Z-Star. I get some really good pop off my driver with the SL and the feel around greens is very good. It is a very soft ball, and easy to compress. Of course, it is also available in yellow.
[/quote]
Thanks! That's one of the reasons why I did it. Most people get wrapped around the big names and models. The truth is, most of us shouldn't be playing those other ones. I'm not saying they're wrong in doing so. It's like the argument of someone buying a staff bag and having their name on it. Why should I care? It's their money and game and I don't get a vote. They know what they like.

However, many people simply can't get the most out of a ultra premium ball. They can spin it, they get good distance, but if they're a bit off, they hit it off the planet or, they can't compress it optimally to get the best performance out of it. They're are too many options to be limited to the usual names now. I'm glad the OEMs are really starting to cater to the guy that can't swing 100MPH with a good offering.

G710 4-UW - Accra 70i

PING Bruzer

[quote name='Terp' timestamp='1334490735' post='4724708']
Well I have now played 54 holes with the same HX Chrome ball out of the original sleeve I put in play last week. This ball holds its line into the wind, is longer for me, has great spin around the greens, and is quite durable as I have hit a tree with it and bounced it off a cart path. On the 18th hole yesterday I had about 120 yards to a slightly elevated green over a greenside trap from just off the fairway with a right to left crosswind. I aimed just right of the flag, directly over the trap, and hit a pitching wedge to 10 feet. The ball was pin high about 12 inches in front of its pitch mark. I am not a high spin player, but this ball is remarkable - especially considering I had played 54 holes with it. BTW - lipped out the putt, but I'll take par any day.
[/quote]
Great! I'm glad it performed for you. I'm thinking this ball and it's older brother are going to do quite well for them this year, if feedback is any indication from the Wrx.

G710 4-UW - Accra 70i

PING Bruzer

• 1 month later...

Great review. I've been playing the Gamer V2 so far this year but do not like the way it feels off the putter (and I really get annoyed with fools who still think TF is for weekend duffers, because the V2 is a very good ball for it's price). After reading some threads comparing NXT Tour S and the Q Star, I was leaning towards the Q Star, that is, until I read your post. I'm going to give the Chrome a go. Thanks for taking the time to post a good review. Much appreciated.

I use golf clubs, 14 to be exact!  Mostly my putter though!

Great review of several i have looked over, i am a bridgestone, or Srixon guy when it comes to which ball i put in play.

Z-Star, B330-RX or RXS, when my game/swing is going well

Gamer V2, E6 when working on things.

Chrome has got my attention, and as i like the yellow offered in the others, i think the Yellow Chrome looks the best, and will look soon to try these out.

Sidenote: have you guys noticed the strong " fresh paint" smell from the yellow Chrome?

Question regarding driver side spin between the Hex Chrome and Q-Star (throw in e6 too). I know the e6 probably has the lowest driver side spin of all three balls but I would prefer a little spin around the green. So, between the Hex Chrome and the Q-Star, which do you find to fly straighter, especially on not so perfect swings? I know there is not a ball out there that can straighten out a bad swing. But on slightly less than perfect swings have you noticed one of those balls performing, and going straighter, then the other? Thanks.

I use golf clubs, 14 to be exact!  Mostly my putter though!