Speed Golf: Ultralight Stand Bag

I'm getting into speed golf (jogging around the course, carrying 6 clubs). On all the YouTube footage I've seen (e.g., Christopher Smith), the speed golfers are usually using a stand bag that looks like a skeleton of a typical stand bag. It can hold 5 or 6 clubs max. And it has no shoulder strap - they just grab the portion of the bag that's right under the collar, and take off running.

I've searched for an hour, but can't figure out where to buy these bags. Can someone hook me up with a product name or a link?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='duffer888' timestamp='1334339187' post='4715528']
Probably DIY.
[/quote]

I dunno. Unless all of these pics from the speedgolfinternational website are from a group of friends taking turns snapping pics with the same bag, it looks like there's some boutique bag maker.
[attachment=1117144:Bag2.jpg][attachment=1117138:Bag3.jpg][attachment=1117140:Bag4.jpg][attachment=1117142:Bag5.jpg]

I've sent an email to the guy who runs the speedgolf website.

You'd never play speed golf anywhere in Arizona. LOL

If the weather is nice, the courses are packed. If it's 110 degrees out, you'd keel over playing speed golf.

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - TTitleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

Please reply once you or anybody find out where to get those and pricing. It kind of looks like those pitch and putt tubes (usually individual tubes put together that also have a spike on the bottom so you can just stick it into the ground so it's upright). I can't tell if they do or not, but it seems to be a good idea if they did. Save a lot of time (and your back) bending over picking it up all the time.

Wanted to add a link: something like this? [url="http://www.thriftygolfsupply.com/tube-caddies-p-93.html"]http://www.thriftygolfsupply.com/tube-caddies-p-93.html[/url] There is a spike on the bottom so it stands up. The individual tubes may be easier or more difficult to find/retrieve clubs... not sure... might be harder to put in because smaller tube size, but might be faster to locate since you can put the same club in the same slot and won't tangle because it's like a full length divider.

This guy made his own: [url="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2010/09/20/DD1K1EH7RI.DTL&object=%2Fc%2Fpictures%2F2010%2F09%2F17%2Fdd-obsession0920_0502061136.jpg"]http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2010/09/20/DD1K1EH7RI.DTL&object=%2Fc%2Fpictures%2F2010%2F09%2F17%2Fdd-obsession0920_0502061136.jpg[/url]

Let me know what you prefer as I want something similar as well! I just plan to use mine for par 3 courses (pitch and putts)!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the latest:
[list=1][*]I've succeeded in reaching one of the guys at Seamus Golf, a company that advocates the sport of Speed Golf[*]The bags in the pictures were made by Sun Mountain. It was a custom batch, manufactured several years ago. There may still be a few in existence; I am waiting to hear back from a couple of people. If available, the price is apparently less than a "normal" SM bag[*]There is a large Speed Golf event planned for this October in Bandon, OR. Rumor has it that a "new bag" will be released in time for that event. Again, I'm awaiting details.[/list]In the event that the SM bag doesn't work out, my backup plan is to go with the Ping Moon-Lite 2. It's only $60 and weighs less than 2 lbs. It doesn't have a stand (which is partly what makes it so light), but instead it has a very cool partially-rigid strap that sticks up off the ground when the bag is lying down. The special strap means you don't have to stoop down to sweep up the bag. The bag also has a water bottle holder which is pretty vital when you're running around the course. The only downside is that the Ping isn't waterproof, so chances are that my grips will get wet because the bag's always on the ground. If I go with the Ping, and if the wetness ends up being a problem, I would try a waterproofing spray such as Nikwax.

[quote name='GadgetGuy' timestamp='1335280626' post='4780568']
Here's the latest:
[list=1][*]There is a large Speed Golf event planned for this October in Bandon, OR. Rumor has it that a "new bag" will be released in time for that event. Again, I'm awaiting details.[/list][/quote]

I just got an email from Speedgolf legend Christopher Smith. He is the one designing the "new bag" and is working directly with a Chinese manufacturer. He expects to have the new bag available in October at the Bandon event, and then for sale through his website afterwards.

[quote name='vinny809' timestamp='1335285397' post='4781030']
LOL, I've seen a guy once carry all 14 of his clubs in his hands. He was not speed golfing and did not have a bag or cart.
I mean if you're just going to carry 6 clubs, just hold it in your hands maybe bring a fanny pack like others suggested.
[/quote]

I think carrying your clubs in your hands would only be practical with 3 clubs max. Otherwise, every time you set the clubs down to take a shot, you'll look like a yard sale all over the fairway. And the grips would get soaked. Adding in a handful of golf balls and tees, and next thing you know you'll look like this guy:
[attachment=1134170:OneManBand.jpg]

• 1 year later...

[url="http://speedgolfinternational.com/store/10"]http://speedgolfinternational.com/store/10[/url]

and I'm using this one:
[url="http://www.golfgalaxy.com/Maxfli-Mens-Sunday-Stand-Bag/SS13MXFLSNDYSB/Product"]http://www.golfgalaxy.com/Maxfli-Mens-Sunday-Stand-Bag/SS13MXFLSNDYSB/Product[/url]

I've used both. The maxfli was half the price and works pretty well. I like the multiple openings which helps get the clubs in and out faster.

• 8 months later...

There's a web site for Golf di lite. It's a bag like device for 5 clubs or so, made from aluminum and plastic rings, with a stand. The bare bones model is around $35. I've toyed with the idea of getting one for a couple years. I've always liked the look of a Sunday bag and I don't need a stand is why I've never taken the plunge.

The guy that invented it says a strap isn't necessary, but rings are provided for one.

Seems like it may be the answer to Speed Golf.