Does anyone use a 3 wood any more

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is the biggest pain in the butt club to shop for and get set in the bag, and I've nearly given up hope several times over the past few years, but once you find a good one (that can be hit from the tee and off the deck with confidence), it's magic and it adds a lot of versatility to your game.

I think a 17* hybrid is a good option for some, but I do appreciate the extra distance a 15* 3 wood provides, especially off of some par 4s, or when playing a long par 5 or if you just hit a bad drive on a par 5 and you left yourself a lot of yardage to the green.

Also, when I really need to hit a fairway, I can choke down on the 3 wood, level out my shoulders, and get it in the short grass more times than not. That shot usually flies 230 or so and rolls out to 260, it's a fun shot to play and very consistent.

Another point is it's important to have good course management with the 3 wood. If you're not swinging it well that day and you're 260 out on a tough par 5 with trouble near the green than you have to know that's a lay up or you're asking for a big number on that hole.

It all depends on your game, but a 3 wood fits me very nicely.

Taylormade SIM2 9°, HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Taylormade SIM2 14.25°, Matrix Black Tie 7M3-X

PING G410 Hybrid 18°, Evenflow Black 85 6.5 

Titleist T100 (4-GW), Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM8, 54.12(D), 60.12(D), Project X 6.0

Taylormade Spider FCG "L" Neck, 35"

[quote name='bunter101' timestamp='1334791556' post='4747742']
[quote name='StrokerAce' timestamp='1334764085' post='4745128']
With all of the new hybrids out on the market I'm curious to see if anyone is using a 3 wood / 3 metal any longer.

I know you need an option off the tee that is less than driver but can't a 17* hybrid fill that need? <assuming that a 3 wood is 15* and the lowest loft angle of a hybrid is 17*>

AND... if you still game a 3 wood, do you *ever* hit it out of the fairway? Once a round?

I was at a golf show and one of the sponsors said that 3 woods are becoming a thing of the past. I didn't believe him one bit but ....
[/quote]

I swapped 3 wood for a 15.5* Cleveland DST hybrid. Admittedly a little shy of 3 wood distances. But more controllable and I can do what I want with it.

It's a money club playing in the wind as it has such a penetrating flight too.
[/quote]

Ohhhhh.... I like that idea. I'd certainly sacrifice a little bit of distance for a lot of control. Might have to look into that ....

StrokerAceTM

13.5*/15* 910fd 3wood depending on course and conditions
18* j33 5 wood
3-pw irons
I will sit the three iron or five wood for a 2iron often but always bag a three wood and will never game any hybrids.... Well maybe when I'm over 50

Titleist 915D3 8.5* D+70x wb
Titleist 913f 14* 3w D+ 82x wb
Bridgestone 18* 5w Tour Aldila 'ByYou'
Mizuno MP-4 4-PW KBS TourV
Taylormade 50* NikeVrev 54* BV sm5 60*
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport2

Strong 3 off the tee....use it all the time
4 wood for any fairways.....I don't use it a ton but it's always windy where I live so I need a 4 wood to rip my 2nd into a Par 5.

I'm the other opposite......HATE hybrids

[u][b]Bag:[/b][/u]

[i]Taylormade M1 440 9.5* Rogue Silver 125MSI TX[/i]
[i]Taylormade M1 HL Rogue Silver 80X[/i]
[i]Titleist 818 H2 21* Tour Green 85TX[/i]
[i]Titleist 716 TMB 4-W DG TI X100[/i]
[i]Vokey TVD K 54*, 60* DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M 35''[/i]

I know what works, and what doesn't for me. 3wd won't ever be out of my bag, that's not even a question. 5wd is what works for the next club. Hybrids are hook machines and not near as vercitile for me. I've had a 5wd in play for the last 5 years and that's how it's going to stay. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

PING G400 LST 8.5 w/Fujikura Rombax Type X
PING G410 3wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
PING G410 5wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
PING iBlades 4-PW Tour Issue X100
PING Glide Forged 52/56/60
Cameron Golo N5 Tour 

in mid summer i often use 16 degree hybrids. I lose maybe 10 yards but i feel like i don't miss nearly as bad with them

Cobra Radspeed XB tour length 9 w/ PX Hzrdus RDX Smoke Black 80
Cobra F9 Tour 13.5 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 70
Callaway Apex 20 w/PX Catalyst 70
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges w/ Modus 130

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

I do, but its 16*, so its more like a 4 wood.

Titleist TS2 (9.5*) w/ Tensei AV Blue (Stiff)

Ping G410 (14.5*) w/ Alta CB Red (Stiff)

Ping G410 (17.5*) w/ Alta CB Red (Stiff)

Titleist TS2 H (19*) w/ Tensie AV Blue (Stiff)

Srixon Z585 (4-PW) w/ Nippon Modus 3 105 (Stiff)

Cleveland CBX 2 (50*/11)

Cleveland RTX Zipcord Raw (54*/10 and 58*/10)

Evnroll ER5 Black Hatchback (34”)

Snell MTB-X

I finally found a 3 wood that i have confidence in-at last.I used to play driver-5 wood,because i wasn't comfortable with any 3 woods that i tried.Now i love my 3&5 woods from the tee & deck-Thanks Mizuno!!!!

Adams 9015D w/X con4,Ping G20 w/HD6& [color=#0000CD Mizuno JPX 900 5 & 7 woods,Mashie 3 & 4
Bridgestone J40 DPC’s & S3 Pro’s,Mizuno S7 54 & 58
[color=#FF0000]Bettinardi SS7, BC1,Ping Anser 1968 BeCu

I went back to 3wood this year because I finally found one I can hit well from tee and fairway. It had been several years since I had one in the bag. It is great for scary tee shots that need more distance than just 18* hybrid

Ping g410 Lst 9* Tour 65
Ping G410 14.5* Tour 75
Ping G410 hybrid 19* Tour 85
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP 4-P 
Titleist SM7 F 50*/S 54*/M 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketsch

I hit it to 20' from 259 yards out (laser verified) a few weeks ago.. It was downwind about 8-10 mph but that's why I have one in the bag. It was a 1 out of 5 shot but I'll take it. Who doesn't want to be hero once in a while?!?

Other than that, I love it off the tee. Especially if it's a short dog leg as I find it easier to work left than my driver.

8.5* Tour Issue 07 Burner // PL Red 65x
14* SLDR // Speeder 8.3x
19* SLDR Resuce // Speeder 9.3s
RocketBladez Tour 4-PW // C-Taper
52* & 58* Callaway MD2 // S-300
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1

I think fairway woods are useless for the lower 50th percentile. If it's over 220, you don't have the accuracy for the average golfer.

I think there are a lot of 2 woods prancing around as 3 woods today, too. It's just the same marketing junk with irons. "No one sells 2 irons anymore", except for that 2 iron with a "3" stamped on it.

So for those saying the 4 is the new 3 wood, you're very right.

For many, the shafts are too long, and would be better off with no FW woods, IMO. I follow the same thought. I have a 9* driver, and a 17 bent up to 15.5* hybrid. That hybrid goes about 226 now, up from 219 at 17*. If it's 230, it's a layup. if it's a par 5, there's no way I'm going to need a FW unless it's a 600y hole. And let's be honest; a 16 like me shouldn't be playing tees with that distance anyhow, which I generally don't.

Many carry a 3w for when their driver starts failing them. It's a waste of a club space for them. I'd rather see people with a 3w and *no driver*.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

I love my 3-wood. It comes out on the tee for any tight holes with water or OB to the sides as I trust it much more than my driver. It's also great from the fairway or rough for me. There are some long par-5 holes where it makes a great second shot for me that may not put it on the green but at least leaves me with a really short chip or pitch that I can attack the pin with. Would never get rid of it.

(oh, and it's a 909 F2 15* but I took a 1/2" or so off the shaft length, which I've also done on my driver and hybrid as well)

Minimal: Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

[quote name='StrokerAce' timestamp='1334764085' post='4745128']
With all of the new hybrids out on the market I'm curious to see if anyone is using a 3 wood / 3 metal any longer.

I know you need an option off the tee that is less than driver but can't a 17* hybrid fill that need? <assuming that a 3 wood is 15* and the lowest loft angle of a hybrid is 17*>

AND... if you still game a 3 wood, do you *ever* hit it out of the fairway? Once a round?

I was at a golf show and one of the sponsors said that 3 woods are becoming a thing of the past. I didn't believe him one bit but ....
[/quote]

I wasn't but decided to take it along on a recent golf trip. Hit the heck out of it and it was a great club for me off the tee and turf. Titleist 906F2 with NV Stiff. Just a great, solid club.

Over the many years, I have always carried a 3 wood. I have never really been all that satisfied with any I have owned, until I got a Macgregor MT...I just kill that thing...

-->because it is 13*, if I am misfiring on my driver, I can drop down to this and still hit it a long ways.

that's the [i]theory[/i] anyways:)

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5*

Titleist 909h 17*

Titleist 818 H2 21*

Titleist 718 T-MB 4

Titleist 718 AP2 5-GW

Epon 210kxg 56*, 60*

Odyssey #6

In the minority here. I do not carry a 3 wood...took it out and added another wedge. I carry an 18 degree hybrid that I can hit very low if needed and move out to about 250 yards off the tee. Going for a par 5 from anything over 230 yards to me...TO ME does not makes much sense. Laying up to 70 yards I make a lot more birdies. I also hit my driver very well, hence another reason it was easy to take the 3 wood out of my bag.

Absolutely, and it's not going anywhere. Depending on the course, I'll usually hit it 2-4 times per round off the tee, and I hit it from the fairway about once per round on average. It's much more valuable to me off the tee, but I'll use it for approaches when the risk is worth it.

Ping G410 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 46.5", Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
Scratch SB-1 3-4 & 6-PW Nippon Modus3 120x or Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW Nippon Modus3 125x
Corey Paul 52*/Titleist Vokey Forged 58* K-Grind, Nippon Modus3 125 Blue Wedge shafts,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I hit my 3 wood a lot off the tee and rarely off the deck during rounds, but the course I play rarely has a second shot longer than 220 and most of those I lay up instead of going for it. But that's mostly because I don't have confidence in my 3 wood off the deck, I tend to hit big cuts with it regardless of lie.

A 17-18* hybrid goes 200-220 for me so it isn't long enough off the tee for a lot of holes where I want 220-240 which is my 3 wood range.

I experimented with replacing the 3 wood with a low lofted hybrid and didn't like it. Put the 3 wood back in the bag. In my case, I hit the 3 wood father and with better trajectory than the hybrid.

I carry a 18 or 19* hybrid that replaces a 3 iron which I can hit about 235. I have a small gap in the 220 range. Too much for my 4 iron, too short for my hybrid, but its been the best combo for me so far.