TaylorMade RBZ Tour Driver: Featured Review

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='dmael' timestamp='1335308117' post='4783196']
Very nice review ... and dead-on with my experiences with teh RBZ Tour in a 9* loft, which I have had for about 7 or 8 weeks now. I was able to get it as a head-only, so I had my choice of shafts to put into it. I was playing the 2011 R11TP in a 9* loft, with a tipped Aldila RIP Alpha ("red eyes") shaft in R-flex .... firm flex at 262 CPM after tipping. Playing length on my R11TP with this shaft was a hir less than 44.75" ... it plays at almost 44.875" in the RBZ Tour head. I also have the following shafts installed in RBZ adapter sleeves for use in this head:

[list][*]UST Mamiya ATTAS Elements RK 6S (untipped S-flex, with a butt frequencygreater than 271 CPM, which scared me) ... plays to 45" long in this head.[*]UST Mamiya ATTAS Elements MK 6S (also untipped, and actually a bit too much shaft for me in any driver head!).[*]UST Mamiya ATTAS[sup]3[/sup] 5260 R-flex (tipped 1/2" and playing close to a stiff flex) .... plays to 45.25" in this head.[*]Aldila RIP Alpha R-flex that came from TaylorMade (NOT a "made for" shaft) .... because it is a TM-upgrade shaft, they have it set to play to a 45.75" playing length, but I get close to 46" on my TrueMeasure bench scale. [u]I just received this shaft late last Saturday afternoon, and haven't gotten a chance to hit it yet, but it is installed in the RBZ Tour head -- I will also almost certainly be trimming .75" to 1.0" from the butt on it[/u].[/list]

I kept my R11TP, and hgave been doing quite a bit of side-by-side comparison between the two drivers with the same shafts installed in them during several range sessions over the last 6 weeks. I thought that, since both drivers have the same stated loft, that it would be good to test the two with identical shafts and at identical playing lengths (the R11TP has a true loft that is less than 9*; the RBZ Tour measures right about 9* when the FCT sleeve is set at "STD. LOFT").

The R11TP with tipped Aldila RIP Alpha-R was my "go to" driver for all of 2011, and the few rounds that I played over the Winter before I received the RBZ Tour head. I am finding that the RBZ Tour does indeed launch the ball a bit higher than the R11TP, and the amount of "hang time" that I get with the RBZ Tour is considerably more than with the R11TP when I have the same shaft in both drivers. Using crappy range balls, I seem to get 10 to 15 yards more carry with the RBZ Tour, and yet I still get enough roll-out with both clubs. On a few occasions, I have disobeyed the signs on the range where I practice that ask golfers not to use their own golf balls except for pitching, chipping, and/or putting. When I hit "real" golf balls with the RBZ Tour, the differences seem a little greater, and I have gotten as much as 20 yards more carry using this club vz. the R11TP.

For, me (surprisingly), the RBZ Tour/ATTAS Elements RK 6S has been the best combination for me so-far. The ball just absolutely rockets off the face and seems to go forever before touching-down. The ATTAS3 in a tipped R-flex is also a powrful combination for me, but I hit my drives too high when using this shaft ... and I find myself a bit too inconsistent with it, no matter which clubhead it is installed in.

As previously mentioned, the RBZ Tour head is LOUD .... not annoyingly loud, but it is considerably louder than the R11TP, that's for sure! As for adjustability and control, there is more adjustability available with the R11TP, and I like having the removable sole plates (I happen to have three with varying levels of face angle adjustability and at weights that range from 6 to 12.5 grams). For this reason alone, I am not 100% convinced that the RBZ Tour will become my #1 driver .... at least, not YET! We all want that extra distance .... especially "old guys" like me, who have lost a lot of yardage with the driver over the years (in my case, I have lost more than 70 yards on my average drive between age 49 and age 63). However, the ability to fine-tune such things as face angle makes a difference to me.

One other thing that I forgot to mention .... I find the standard lie angle on teh RBZ/RBZ Tour driver to be just too darned upright!

I hope that this is helpful to others here .... I'll be pleased to provide detailed data on my experiences with each of the shafts that I have hit side-by-side in the R11TP and RBZ Tour drivers, if anyone is interested.

Doug Mael
Doug's Custom Clubs
[/quote]

Nice Review Doug.

Braden

LOL on the 3 wood. I have the 5 wood and keep thinking about pulling the trigger on the 3.....not sure how it will fit in my bag though. Currently have driver, RBZ 5 wood and then a 21° hybrid......but I'm considering maybe a driver, 3 wood, 18° hybrid setup.

I wanted to follow up on my thoughts on the RBZ Tour driver. What I've found thus far: My RBZ Tour 9° was ordered with a Fubuki Alpha 63g in X and I was having alot of trouble with my consitency and accuracy after about 4 rounds or so of golf. So I decided to swap in my Mitsubishi 70g ahina shaft, as it was a back up shaft I bought some time ago and never really liked for some reason. After about 4 more rounds of golf with the ahina in my RBZ Tour, I can say that I've found a winner. Although I've lost maybe 10 yards of the tee (although this is debatable given the large amount of rain we recently received), my accuracy and consistency is MUCH improved over the lighter shaft. I even have to admit that the ahina is even starting to grow on me a bit, as I've struggled with it in the past. I will even go as far as to say this MIGHT be......the most accurate setup I've played in quite some time. The bit heavier and slightly shorter shaft is provig to be a better fit for my swing.

I also want to throw out there that I received my TM Supertri Driver back from Continental golf in NC and it looks great. They only painted the top part of the club but it looks brand new. Pairing this head with the Fubuki Alpha as a nice backup driver. Have yet to hit it though to see how that setup plays.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

I've got a buddy with a tmag hook up, picking up a 14.5 tour head today!

Driver then the 14.5 then a 19 degree hybrid then 3-pw, 54 &58 for me.

The more I play with the driver the more I like it. Played on Thursday and wasn't particularly on, but still got it around ok. And when I'm on it's a monster.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Hey Braden (or should I say "teampowers"?) .... good to see you here! How have you been?

Doug

[quote name='teampowers' timestamp='1336394649' post='4864262']
[quote name='dmael' timestamp='1335308117' post='4783196']
Very nice review ... and dead-on with my experiences with teh RBZ Tour in a 9* loft, which I have had for about 7 or 8 weeks now. I was able to get it as a head-only, so I had my choice of shafts to put into it. I was playing the 2011 R11TP in a 9* loft, with a tipped Aldila RIP Alpha ("red eyes") shaft in R-flex .... firm flex at 262 CPM after tipping. Playing length on my R11TP with this shaft was a hir less than 44.75" ... it plays at almost 44.875" in the RBZ Tour head. I also have the following shafts installed in RBZ adapter sleeves for use in this head:

[list][*]UST Mamiya ATTAS Elements RK 6S (untipped S-flex, with a butt frequencygreater than 271 CPM, which scared me) ... plays to 45" long in this head.[*]UST Mamiya ATTAS Elements MK 6S (also untipped, and actually a bit too much shaft for me in any driver head!).[*]UST Mamiya ATTAS[sup]3[/sup] 5260 R-flex (tipped 1/2" and playing close to a stiff flex) .... plays to 45.25" in this head.[*]Aldila RIP Alpha R-flex that came from TaylorMade (NOT a "made for" shaft) .... because it is a TM-upgrade shaft, they have it set to play to a 45.75" playing length, but I get close to 46" on my TrueMeasure bench scale. [u]I just received this shaft late last Saturday afternoon, and haven't gotten a chance to hit it yet, but it is installed in the RBZ Tour head -- I will also almost certainly be trimming .75" to 1.0" from the butt on it[/u].[/list]

I kept my R11TP, and hgave been doing quite a bit of side-by-side comparison between the two drivers with the same shafts installed in them during several range sessions over the last 6 weeks. I thought that, since both drivers have the same stated loft, that it would be good to test the two with identical shafts and at identical playing lengths (the R11TP has a true loft that is less than 9*; the RBZ Tour measures right about 9* when the FCT sleeve is set at "STD. LOFT").

The R11TP with tipped Aldila RIP Alpha-R was my "go to" driver for all of 2011, and the few rounds that I played over the Winter before I received the RBZ Tour head. I am finding that the RBZ Tour does indeed launch the ball a bit higher than the R11TP, and the amount of "hang time" that I get with the RBZ Tour is considerably more than with the R11TP when I have the same shaft in both drivers. Using crappy range balls, I seem to get 10 to 15 yards more carry with the RBZ Tour, and yet I still get enough roll-out with both clubs. On a few occasions, I have disobeyed the signs on the range where I practice that ask golfers not to use their own golf balls except for pitching, chipping, and/or putting. When I hit "real" golf balls with the RBZ Tour, the differences seem a little greater, and I have gotten as much as 20 yards more carry using this club vz. the R11TP.

For, me (surprisingly), the RBZ Tour/ATTAS Elements RK 6S has been the best combination for me so-far. The ball just absolutely rockets off the face and seems to go forever before touching-down. The ATTAS3 in a tipped R-flex is also a powrful combination for me, but I hit my drives too high when using this shaft ... and I find myself a bit too inconsistent with it, no matter which clubhead it is installed in.

As previously mentioned, the RBZ Tour head is LOUD .... not annoyingly loud, but it is considerably louder than the R11TP, that's for sure! As for adjustability and control, there is more adjustability available with the R11TP, and I like having the removable sole plates (I happen to have three with varying levels of face angle adjustability and at weights that range from 6 to 12.5 grams). For this reason alone, I am not 100% convinced that the RBZ Tour will become my #1 driver .... at least, not YET! We all want that extra distance .... especially "old guys" like me, who have lost a lot of yardage with the driver over the years (in my case, I have lost more than 70 yards on my average drive between age 49 and age 63). However, the ability to fine-tune such things as face angle makes a difference to me.

One other thing that I forgot to mention .... I find the standard lie angle on teh RBZ/RBZ Tour driver to be just too darned upright!

I hope that this is helpful to others here .... I'll be pleased to provide detailed data on my experiences with each of the shafts that I have hit side-by-side in the R11TP and RBZ Tour drivers, if anyone is interested.

Doug Mael
Doug's Custom Clubs
[/quote]

Nice Review Doug.

Braden
[/quote]

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1336185014' post='4852076']
Ugh I hit the RBZ 3wood today, looks like I will be scrambling to find a way to fund a new purchase.
[/quote]

Picked up the 3wood last week... couldn't believe that it lived up to the hype for me. I was sure that it was going to disappoint but I picked up about 10yds of carry (which I needed in my 3wood) and hit it more consistently. Still don't love the white but one range session and one round and it has really grown on me. Too bad such an awesome club has such a stupid name.

Thanks son!

Got the matching 3 wood built today, can't wait to hit it!

Also stuffed the driver head with some cotton balls, reduced the sound pretty dramatically

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

Tried the RBZ Tour 9 degree with the TP HD6 shaft and Wow!!!..............As a lot of people have said...........Goes high but it was not balooning............and long!!!! Pretty good on forgiveness too............but very long. Most probably the best driver I've tried so far in 2012. Believe the hype.........its real and anyone who buys another driver without trying this set-up is making a mistake. Great club albeit $400.

Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65
Fairways - Ping G410 #5 17.5* Evenflow 75 Stiff (set at big minus 16* = 3/4 wood)
Hybrids - Ping G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 and Ping G410 24* #4 Tour Stiff 85
Irons - Ping G410 irons 5-PW Nippon N.S.Pro 950 GH Stiff white dot +1/2" 
Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* green dot +1/2", Ping Glide 3.0 54* black dot and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 58* black dot
Bag  Ping DLX Black
Putter  Bettinardi Queen Bee #8 2017 model
Head covers for woods Ping Black/White Pompoms
Balls  Titleist ProV1, ProvV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X (depending on the course and weather)
Cart Clicgear 3.5+

I had hit a friend's RBZ Tour with stock shaft and it ballooned all over the place. Actually liked the deep look and sound of the head though, so decided to buy one with one of my favorites shafts, a kai'li 60s shortened to 44.75 and I'm glad I did. nice low to mid launches, longer, and I'm able to draw nicely with this setup.

TaylorMade Stealth 10.5
Titleist 906F4
TaylorMade Stealth 3 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX850 Forged 4-PW
TaylorMade MG3 Black 52/56

Scotty Phantom X7
.. and a collection of Odyssey #7s 🙂

So a little time has passed, honey moon Phase is over, and I ind myself even more pleased than I was after my initial response.

The 3w is money too, I actually play it 1.25 shorter than retail and it's still crazy long.

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1337473761' post='4943584']
So a little time has passed, honey moon Phase is over, and I ind myself even more pleased than I was after my initial response.

The 3w is money too, I actually play it 1.25 shorter than retail and it's still crazy long.
[/quote]

I also play my R11s and RBZ fairways 1.25" shorter than "stock" lengths .... and I set my R11s 3-wood at 16.5* loft, so in essence it is a 4-wood, since it is 42.25" long. My RBZ 3-wood is 14.5* loft, so I cannot call this one a "4-wood". I will probably only keep one of the two (RBZ Tour 3-wood is currently in the lead position).

Doug

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the face angle difference is on the RBZ Tour 9* head for the setting of between Higher and Std and the setting between UPRT and Higher?
I'm under the impression that both of these settings would be 9.75* loft, but what about the face angle difference?

Driver-Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus 70 6.0
3W- Titleist TSR2 15 Hzrdus 70 6.0
Hybrid-Ping G410 19* Xcaliber Pro 85 S
Irons- Srixon ZX7/ZX5 Combo, KBS TOUR 120 S
Wedges- VOKEY SM9 50,54,59
PUTTER- EVNROLL ER7

[quote name='tbowers2' timestamp='1340038842' post='5121728']
Does anyone know what the face angle difference is on the RBZ Tour 9* head for the setting of between Higher and Std and the setting between UPRT and Higher?
I'm under the impression that both of these settings would be 9.75* loft, but what about the face angle difference?
[/quote]

I just measured with the FCT sleeve adjusted in the hosel at all of these settings (and all of the rest), and I get a progreeively more-open face angle at the lower-loft settings, and a closer-to-suqare face angle as the loft goes higher and the lie angle gets more upright (my driver is a 9* RBZ Tour). At the "Std. Loft" setting, mine has a face angle of 1.5* open (about 1* open or a little less at the "Higher" setting, and fairly close to square at the setting that is 180* opposite the "Std. Loft" setting). At the "Lower" setting, the clubface shows about 3* open (or a bit more) on my golf club gauge. The in-between settings on the hosel sleeve give me in-between face angle measurements.

I hope that this is helpful!

Best regards,

Doug Mael

PLEASE CONTACT MANAGEMENT RE: SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES

By the way -- since my initial post, I have pulled the Aldila RIP Alpha 60-R shaft from this driver and replaced it with a UST Mamiya TOURSPX ATTAS Elements RK 60-S shaft that plays to about 45" long. The shorter shaft length (by between 3/4" and a full inch) and the stiffer shaft combine to help me keep my tee shots in the fairway with the RBZ Tour driver.

Oddly, at age 63 and with recurring shoulder injuries that keep flaring-up, I find that I have gained about 6 MPH of clubhead speed and 10 MPH of ball speed with this driver since switching to the stiffer and longer shaft (I was at an average clubhead speed of 96 MPH, and ball speeds in the low 140s; now I average about 102 MPH in clubhead speed, and right around 150 MPH ball speed on the Vector Launch Monitor.

Doug

Hey Doug....interesting comments on the face angle. I typically play a draw and I found that having the club set on the TP setting still produces some fades for me and hence some inconsistency. I think I might try playing it at the standard setting and see how I make out. Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm currently messing around with three different shaft combos- Ahina 70g in stiff, tipped, an Alpha in 60g X and a Kai'li 70g in X. So far I think I like the Kai'li the best. Still not sure about my overall consistency with this diver though. I seem to continuously find my way back to my Cally RHTour.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

[quote name='dmael' timestamp='1340054221' post='5123368']
[/quote]

I just measured with the FCT sleeve adjusted in the hosel at all of these settings (and all of the rest), and I get a progreeively more-open face angle at the lower-loft settings, and a closer-to-suqare face angle as the loft goes higher and the lie angle gets more upright (my driver is a 9* RBZ Tour). At the "Std. Loft" setting, mine has a face angle of 1.5* open (about 1* open or a little less at the "Higher" setting, and fairly close to square at the setting that is 180* opposite the "Std. Loft" setting). At the "Lower" setting, the clubface shows about 3* open (or a bit more) on my golf club gauge. The in-between settings on the hosel sleeve give me in-between face angle measurements.

Best regards,

Doug Mael

[/quote]

I was a little confused about the FCT settings and the loft on my RBZ Tour 9* head, so I called TaylorMade and asked about the settings. Here's what they told me, and this is only pertaining to the LOFT on this head.

[u]TaylorMade Setting[/u]-------[u]Position of the FCT Hosel on the club[/u]-------[u]Loft[/u]
(What TM calls it on
their website)

LOWER ----------------- -1.5 ------------------------------------------------- 7.5*
Std/Lower ----------------- Between STD & Lower ------------------------- 8.25*
Lower/Upright ------------- UPRT ----------------------------------------------- 8.25*
STD -------------------------- STD ------------------------------------------------- 9*
STD Upright ---------------- Between UPRT & Higher---------------------- 9*
HIgher/STD------------------ Between STD & Higher ----------------------- 9.75*
Higher/Upright ---------------Between UPRT & Lower --------------------- 9.75*
HIGHER ---------------------- +1.5 ------------------------------------------------10.5*

If anyone knows anything different definitively, please advise. The next to last one really blows my mind.

Driver-Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus 70 6.0
3W- Titleist TSR2 15 Hzrdus 70 6.0
Hybrid-Ping G410 19* Xcaliber Pro 85 S
Irons- Srixon ZX7/ZX5 Combo, KBS TOUR 120 S
Wedges- VOKEY SM9 50,54,59
PUTTER- EVNROLL ER7

[quote name='tbowers2' timestamp='1340134344' post='5129938']
[quote name='dmael' timestamp='1340054221' post='5123368']
[/quote]

Best regards,

Doug Mael

[/quote]

I was a little confused about the FCT settings and the loft on my RBZ Tour 9* head, so I called TaylorMade and asked about the settings. Here's what they told me, and this is only pertaining to the LOFT on this head.

[u]TaylorMade Setting[/u]-------[u]Position of the FCT Hosel on the club[/u]-------[u]Loft[/u]
(What TM calls it on
their website)

LOWER ----------------- -1.5 ------------------------------------------------- 7.5*
Std/Lower ----------------- Between STD & Lower ------------------------- 8.25*
Lower/Upright ------------- UPRT ----------------------------------------------- 8.25*
STD -------------------------- STD ------------------------------------------------- 9*
STD Upright ---------------- Between UPRT & Higher---------------------- 9*
HIgher/STD------------------ Between STD & Higher ----------------------- 9.75*
Higher/Upright ---------------Between UPRT & Lower --------------------- 9.75*
HIGHER ---------------------- +1.5 ------------------------------------------------10.5*

If anyone knows anything different definitively, please advise. The next to last one really blows my mind.
[/quote]

That is correct, but the face angle changes as you alter the club's loft when the club is properly-soled.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Figured I'd post an update:

This is pretty much the longest I've ever owned any driver. Ive since switched out the shaft to a 70x protopype but I am still insanely pleased with this driver.

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

• 2 years later...

Picked one up recently and love the sound and feel. Only thing I might change is the club length. I have the 9 degree with the stock shaft at 45.75 inches D4 SW. I want take at least an inch off the butt end. Can the one weight in the back of the sole be removed and a heavier be acquired and installed?

• 4 years later...