Best Forged GI-SGI iron ever

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any of the forged cavity backed models that are currently available? Really, an 8 not being able to justify using blades? That's a pretty big assumption. The last 2 seasons, I was using Titleist 755s, which are forged cavity back GI irons. I ended the season around 15 index. This season I am playing 695MBs and my index has dropped to 8.4 What caliber of player do you think you need to be to use a muscle backed/blade iron? Try one, you might be pleasantly surprised!

A vote for the Adams A4 Forged here.
Adams CB2's as well, although they were a little less forgiving.

Ping G400 10.5 (9.5*) HZRDUS Yellow 75 5.5 
Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
Cobra Forged Tec 6-GW SteelFiber i95cw R  
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 54/14
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 58/12

This Week's Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi BC 4 34"/ 343g
TM Tour Response/ ProV1/ FG Tour

Try a set of ez1they're bigger heads with a medium topline minimal offset and that sweet forged feel but still in the gi category if you ask me i'm a 10, i've played blades and while I can hit them when everything is right they're just too punishing for me on miss his the ez1s have dropped strokes off my scores if only the putter would cooperate!

Good luck in your hunt try to hit a few options before choosing that's half the fun of new irons

Callaway XR16 Pro 9* Fujikura Speeder Evolution II TS 65 S
TaylorMade M1 17* Fujikura Pro 70 S
Srixon Z45h 19* Aldila Rouge Black 85S
Srixon 745 4-P Tour Issue S400
Bettinardi Soft Carbon Stinger Raw 51*-55*-59* KBS HiRev Tour
Bettinardi Soft Carbon Half Moon Raw 33.5"
Srixon Z Star

Mizuno has a lot of good options. Probably like 6-7 not too old models that you can get for a song these days, although I cant think of all the names right now..(mx-200, mx-300, jpx800 pro, MX23...)

Having said that, I dont really buy into the hype of a forged iron's "feel". Maybe I dont have the magical touch that everybody else does, but I just cant really tell the difference. I have a set of Mizunos and a set of Pings, and they both feel pretty good.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

Tourstage TS202, Mizuno MX line.

[size=2][b][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]WITB #1[/font][/b]
[b][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Callaway XR Driver - 11*, Fubuki Z 50[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Tour Edge CB Pro 4 Wood - Fujikura Rombax 6Z08[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Tour Edge EX9 Tour - 20*, Recoil 780 ES[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno JPX EZ Forged - 4i - GW, Fujikura MCI 80 Stiff[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Fourteen RM21 Black - 54/10 - 58/8, Dynamic Gold[/font][/b]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Bettinardi Signature Model 6[/b] [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Putter Rotation: [b]Bettinardi [/b]Signature Model 6 / Model 7 / BB 360, [b]Miura [/b]KM-006 / KM-350, [b]TP Mills [/b]Nellie Wings / Fleetwood, [b]Byron Morgan[/b] Dalehead 89 / 007 (Copper, sound slot) / Channel Island Plumber / Channel Island Rincon, [b]Odyssey [/b]Prototype 2 Ball Black / Odyssey Black Series Tour Design 2 Ball Blade[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]WITB #2[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Callaway XR Driver - 11*, Fubuki ZT 60[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Tour Edge CB Pro 4 Wood - Fujikura Rombax 6Z08[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miura Hybrids - HB3 / HB4, Aerotech Steelfiber[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miura MC102 - 4i - GW, Nippon NS Pro[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miura Black Wedges, 55/9 - 60/7, Nippon NS Pro WV[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miura KM-006[/font][/size]

As other have said

Mizuno MX 20, 23, 25 & 300 JPX 800 pro then the MP53 for least forgiving but still helpful. I play them

Adams CB3, CB3 and A12 pro

If you can find a fitter try Wishon 560. A great forgiving forged cavity back. A friend has them and I have hit them they are everything and more.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

Adams cb2

TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5” vs Callaway Max 10.5* Rogue Max
TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos vs Callaway Max 15*
TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven TU, Seemore si3, si5, Directed Force Reno, PING Ketsch
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Shot Scope V3

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Mizuno MX-200 and 2006 Ben Hogan Apex Edge. I own both--lots of fun to play.

Callaway Epic Max 9* Driver, Fujikura Speeder 665 Evo II TS R
Callaway Epic Flash 5 and 7 Woods, Accra Fx 2.0 200F M4
Callaway Big Bertha ‘19 4 and 5 Hybrids, KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 65 R
Wilson Staff C300 Forged Irons 6-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 R
PXG 0311 SW (54*/14) and LW (58*/12), TT Elevate Tour S
Scotty Cameron 009-M Putter

[quote name='ksgolfguy007' timestamp='1335991259' post='4834338']
I really like hitting the nike VR-S forged irons.
thinking about hoing them sometime :russian_roulette:
[/quote]

Dibs

Titleist TS2 10.5* Tensei Blue
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Blue
Titleist 818H1 19* Tensei Blue
Titleist AP3 4-G True Temper XP 95
Titleist SM7 54* True Temper XP 95
Titleist SM7 58* True Temper XP 95
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec

Awaiting my set of VRs Forged to arrive end of this month-beginning of next (you know how that goes though). Can't wait to hit 'em with the PXi 6.5's topped off with the multi-compound red/black. However, now that I stopped by GS this morning and hit the AMP Forged that just came through there warehouse doors while I was there....(yes, my fitter was there and I did ask first...lol as he taped up the 6 and eagerly awaited for me to hit them). The AMP has a much smaller top line and cleaner look as you go up in the irons (can't see the forgiveness factor as much or at all on the 4 iron as with the VRs). Was also surprised that the stock shaft was a KBS S+ will make a lot of people with higher SS happy with possibly not having to special order. But then again, could put a lot of people off that have a slower SS if it is not brought to their attention. Over all impressed with the AMP offering, and as I said in another thread: if they screw up my order from NIKE (strong possibility with having to call a few times), the AMP's will get a second look. I will have to refrain from hitting them again until then :)

To each his/her own, but these two I like.