My swing - DTL and Face On. What do you think?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been working since my last video post on correcting an over exaggerated inside take away. My ball contact has become centered on the face since doing so, so that's a plus. I still need to work on getting some separation between my body and right elbow on the back swing. Also noticed on the face on that I sway toward my right hip a tad on the take away.

Thoughts?

It looks pretty good overall

One thing that I think is wrong- -you could afford to make a much bigger shoulder turn - - for example, on the face on view, I'd like to see your right shoulder at the top of the backswing - -meaning your back is more fully turned to the target - right now it doesn't look like you're making a very big shoulder turn---

because of that, it looks like from the top you start the downswing too much with the upper buddy and your upper body is outracing/equal with your lower body on the down swing and through the ball

you probably hit a little fade?

ideally, you want to make a more full shoulder turn and then the downswing should be "from the ground up" - -shift weight, ankles, knees, legs, hips, core, shoulders, arms, hands, etc..

compare your swing side by side with rickie fowler, adam scott, tiger woods, etc. for example and look how much bigger their shoulder turns are and how their lower body starts the downswing

One thought that helps me make a bigger shoulder turn is to feel like I'm rotating my right shoulder on the back swing until my shoulders are lined up over my right knee

if you push your shoulder turn back as far as it can go and keep your back knee flexed, you will feel an incredibly amount of coil and your swing will naturally "snap" through the ball with effortless power-- that's the feeling you want to attain

[quote name='itsjappo' timestamp='1337637795' post='4953326']
actually a pretty good swing. don't worry about lengthening your backswing. everything looks good to where it is in synced with your body. what's your current ball flight and misses? nice swing tho =)
[/quote]

Not sure the OP is even checking this but are you referring to what I said when you say "don't worry about lengthening your backswing"?

If so, I'm not talking about him lengthening his backswing--I'm talking about him increasing his shoulder "turn" - -2 completely different things

Also, "everything looks good to where it is in synced with your body"??

He is clearly casting the club slightly from the top instead of leading with his lower body. .

It is a pretty good swing but I think that's clearly a problem that will lead to decreased power and inconsistent ball striking

Ive been reading the responses. Thanks to you both.

I never thought I had a "casting the club" problem. That's interesting.

I've been working on my shoulder turn, but when I do fully extend and get my left shoulder under my chin, I have trouble bringing the downswing back on plane. When I began golfing a couple years back, coming from a baseball background, I had quite the slice. What fixed it was the towel under the arm drill. Now, that swing has been engrained and has been difficult to separate the right elbow from my body.

sometimes shorter turn in the backswing is a good thing. it all depends on the golfer. if a shorter turn allows you to keep your arms synced, then keep doing that. if you are getting 165 out of your 7i, then its more than enough. i also don't see a casting problem. a slo mo vid would be better since its hard to spot what's going on when viewed real speed.

Don't take what I say as 100% correct by any means. ..put everything to the test. And, if you're already working with a swing coach you're probably better off just listening to his advice. It's hard to give you great feedback without seeing you hit balls/play in person or hear what your goals are, etc.

If you're just looking to get slightly better or stay where you are, then fine just work on what you have- - however, if, for example, you're trying to be a + handicap, I don't think you'll ever make it there with that swing unless you have an amazing short game/putting.

^^^ itsjappo says "sometimes shorter turn in the backswing is a good thing" I'm not sure you are talking about turn the same way I am. .. I would refer to turn as "more" or "less" turn or "bigger" or "smaller" turn .. the use of shorter and longer makes me think you're talking about/ combining it with swing length, which is totally different once again

I would define the length of the backswing as how far back the club has traveled. You can make a big "turn" and still not have a very "long swing".

As far as a true turn, I don't think "smaller" is ever a good thing. Show me a PGA Tour player's swing that makes a small turn on full shots.

As far as casting the club . . I can't give a definitive answer on this based on this videos, but I think if you slowed it down you would see that you have released the club a lot earlier than Hogan does for example. Look at this picture of Hogan and compare it to that point in your downswing -- From the videos, to me it looks like you just don't hold your lag, release the arms slightly over the top instead of staying behind the ball and driving with your lower body

hogandownswing.png

Thanks for your help, biola. I'm definitely looking to become scratch or better. I'm currently a 7 hcp, and getting better by the day, but any help would be greatly appreciated. One gripe about my swing coach that find is that he seems content with making the best of what swing I currently have. He tweaks some minor things, usually grip and tempo, and makes sure Im making good contact. I feel like I have the work ethic and athletic ability to turn my swing into something great. I'm 27 years old and have been playing for right at two years.

Can you explain how I should get my lower half going better than I do now? When I try to feel that at the range, I usually feel like I'm sliding too far forward, and often begin to hit behind the ball. My guess is that I am pulling down with my upper body and now my swing path has become closer to the ball. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks again.

[quote name='Jhc09' timestamp='1337794911' post='4965292']
Thanks for your help, biola. I'm definitely looking to become scratch or better. I'm currently a 7 hcp, and getting better by the day, but any help would be greatly appreciated. One gripe about my swing coach that find is that he seems content with making the best of what swing I currently have. He tweaks some minor things, usually grip and tempo, and makes sure Im making good contact. I feel like I have the work ethic and athletic ability to turn my swing into something great. I'm 27 years old and have been playing for right at two years.

Can you explain how I should get my lower half going better than I do now? When I try to feel that at the range, I usually feel like I'm sliding too far forward, and often begin to hit behind the ball. My guess is that I am pulling down with my upper body and now my swing path has become closer to the ball. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks again.
[/quote]

Yeah my pleasure. Once again this is all my two cents and while I think I have a decent understanding of the swing, there are clearly others who know more. You might want to get a copy of Slixefixer's Encyclopedia Texarkana, I think he's making it into a book now but you should be able to search and find it either way. Anyways, a very good swing coach and all this input can help but ultimately you will have to hit thousands and thousands of balls and play a lot to discover the "feel" yourself. You're swing is definitely better than most and especially after just two years you are doing well. If you stick with it you will be down to scratch in not too much time-- remember to work on your short game + putting as much or more than your full swing. .

As far as getting your lower half going better.. . it is not my area of great expertise. It is something I struggle with myself, that's why I think I'm able to recognize it in you.

It's making sure you make a good turn back (that way you are in the correct position to come through), combined with making the right move from the top of your swing on down.

I'd like to see you turn more "behind" the ball so that you back is turned to the target more -- from that position, you want to make the downswing from "the ground up". Your weight shifts, then on upwards through your ankles, knees, legs, hips turning, core, shoulders, arms, hands, clubhead

Right now, if you pause/go slow on your swing video--- at the very top of your back swing- - your first move down appears to be your shoulders--- they get started too early and come a little over the top

From the top of your back swing you want the opposite -- as I said above, you want to start from the ground up

Put your swing side by side on youtube (open 2 separate windows and minimize them and place them side by side)-- put your swing next to Tiger, Adam Scott, Hogan, any great swing

Look at this Tiger swing video from the 10 second mark and exactly what Peter Costis is talking about - -most of us aren't capable of this amount of flexibility and strength but it's the correct technique to emulate

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBakag5SR_4[/media]

Look at two things: 1) Their position at the top of the swing, 2) Their first move downward from the top of their back swing

And ultimately, look at the impact position that gets them vs. your impact position

Now, learning to make the correct move from the top of the swing.. well that's a journey you will have to take -- if I were you I would master getting into that proper, full turn behind the ball at the top of the back swing -- and then slowly learn to lead from the ground up - -you can practice this with just a half swing sand wedge

It's going to take many sessions of conscious effort to ingrain new muscle memory until eventually you will make the correct move unconsciously as you learn the feel

other people probably have good drills for this, etc. I'm not knowledgeable of that kind of stuff -- I just know what it's supposed to look like

I'd just start with those two things though --Getting into a full turn at the top, and starting the downswing with the weight shift/lower body instead of with your little shoulder move -- Tiger I believe refers to his downswing start as a "hip bump" , others think of firing their knee out. . you gotta find that works for you

As far as the last part of what you said- - I have no idea-- just go slow and use a half speed swing sand wedge - - you don't want to complicate it and create other problems for yourself . . try to just simplify it all - make the proper turn back and eventually you will feel it like a bow and arrow releasing the arrow and it will all just snap correctly

just be patient and work on your short game a lot and that will take pressure off your long game