CHAT TIME! CALLAWAY & TRUE TEMPER Monday 2-3PM EDT

HipCheck

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. What is going to be Callaways plan to get the company back on top with Market share? At one time everyone had Big Bertha drivers. In recent years I have been noticing fewer Callaway clubs than in the past. While I still think the equipment is great I am curious of the plan to get back on top.

2. What is the reasoning behind so many different drivers/irons under the Callaway brand each year. Why not bring out fewer lines but perfect them for a certain type of player?

3. Callaway was the first to offer the Imix which made it so easy to swap shafts out. However they were a bit late to the party on the adjustable driver. While I still like the look of the glued head what are the plans going forward? Is the company going to make the switch throughout all their lines so the drivers are all Adjustable?

Thank You Callaway, True Temper and GolfWRX for taking the time to put this chat together.

Luke-
Thanks for taking your time out of the day to speak with all of us.
1st off let me say that I thought the Razr Fit was the best looking driver you have produced ever, until I saw the Razr Fit TA. That thing is gorgeous.
My question is simple. Most Drivers in the 2012 line have a very distinctive crack at impact. I noticed that the Razr Fit is much more muted, solid feel, with the TA being more muted than the original.
Feels a lot like one of my tour issue heads. Was hotmelt used in either the Fit or the Fit TA?
I have yet to hit such a muted feel without hot melt. Could you elaborate on what Callaway did to achieve this?
Thanks
Mike

Taylormade M5 Tour 9* AD-VR 6
Callaway Steelhead XR 16* Ahina 60X
Tour Edge EXS220 18* Ventus
Adams MB2 RAW 5-PW Smoke KBS Tour 120
MD4 Raw 50/58/62 
Piretti Cortino 2

What lessons did you learn from the imix years that would help with the new interchangeable technology? Are you more or less likely to offer individual shafts for sale in pro shops and retail stores, and/or provide more unique fitting experiences to help more people find the shaft that is best for them? Have you given any thought to advertising the ease and benefits of switching to other shafts vs the stock offering? It seems that other OEM manufacturers focus more on club adjustability and less on the ease of trying new setups, and potentially saving money and convenience in changing shafts versus traditional glued heads

Hi everybody. Look forward to answering your questions. I know Luke is experiencing a few technical difficulties, but will be with us shortly. Let's have some fun!

Chad

WITB

Driver-Titleist TSr3 9* w/ HZRDUS Green 60TX (HULK)

3 Wood-Titleist TSi2 15* w/ ACCRA TZFive 70 M5 (Masters Edition)

Irons-Taylormade P7MC 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Wedges-Titleist Vokey 56.12D &60.12D w/ Dynamic Gold Mid S400

Putter-Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec Newport 2 w/ Steelfiber i125p

[quote name='avg_joseph' timestamp='1336593410' post='4882150']
Chad,

Project X Black Fairway and Hybrid shafts are available from one major OEM, will these shafts be made available for purchase at the consumer level?
[/quote]

Thanks for your question. The hybrid shafts were released at the same time as the woods and are currently available for purchase. We most likely will not be introducing the fairway into the product line, but be on the lookout for the 70 and 80 gram “tour issue” versions coming soon!!

WITB

[quote name='teeituphigh' timestamp='1336594804' post='4882304']
How is True Temper going to continue to push the envelope? Surely there must be a time where we reach maximum capactiy! I notice shafts are getting lighter now, how light can we go? Will we end up like fly fishing rods?
[/quote]

Excellent question. We’re always looking at the next new technology in golf shafts…whether advancements in materials or manufacturing expertise. Many times, one affects the other. For instance, our superlight GS series (75, 85 and 95) of steel shafts are far lighter than we ever thought we’d be able to achieve 11 years ago when I joined the company. These shafts were made possible by advancements in steel alloy technology…made from an entirely different steel than our lightweight and tourweight shafts. With the new material came new methods of manufacturing that had to be implemented to process the shafts.

WITB

[quote name='teeituphigh' timestamp='1336594804' post='4882304']
How is True Temper going to continue to push the envelope? Surely there must be a time where we reach maximum capactiy! I notice shafts are getting lighter now, how light can we go? Will we end up like fly fishing rods?
[/quote]

Sorry meant to add something about graphite...
On the graphite side, the new Project X Black features TeXtreme…a patented material that is used in many high-end performance applications (ex. Formula 1 auto racing). This material used along the full length of the outermost layer of the shaft allowed us to create our Dual Torsional Control™ improving the overall hoop consistency and torsional integrity of the shaft.

WITB

[quote name='Tidiliwomp' timestamp='1336595076' post='4882342']
Chad,

What viability, if any, is there in coatings and paints that reduce friction in order to increase impact speeds? We have seen that the shaft used for the Cobra Long Tom supposedly has a paint that reduces friction through the air can we expect to see Callaway (or any club maker) utilizing similar technology in the future?

Also the Razr name lends it self so well to a simple blade putter... possibly with the Odyssey Metal X Insert anything in the works?
[/quote]

I’ll address this question from a shaft perspective and leave the club question for the Callaway team. With regards to your question about coating on the shaft, we’ve introduced our Speed Coat technology in three distinct designs in the Grafalloy product line, the ProLaunch Blue, ProLaunch Red and Blackbird. While we cannot speak specifically to the performance of the technology as it relates to drag reduction (USGA mandate), it is safe to say that we strongly believe in the technology and will continue to utilize it in future product introductions.

WITB

[quote name='Goldenhawk' timestamp='1336598316' post='4882804']
Luke: The RAZR Fit TA is creating some buzz, and the RAZR Fit is a good seller. What does Callaway see as the next evolution of the RAZR Fit concept.

Chad: The RAZR Black irons feature the True Temper Memphis 10 shafts. This is not the first time that Callaway has used this shaft in previous irons (X-14s and earlier). What made Callaway choose this shaft for the RAZR Black iron, is the shaft updated, and what are the properties of the Memphis 10 shaft?
[/quote]

Hi Goldenhawk. If I remember correctly, the original Memphis 10 shaft would have been introduced some 20 years ago. Over the years, there have been many iterations with varying performance characteristics. The new Memphis 10 XP shaft in the RAZR Black iron is a mid-weight, mid-kick shaft. It is a descending weight shaft meaning that the short irons progressively get lighter throughout the set. The 3 iron is roughly 115 grams and the PW would be in the low 100 gram range. It is a versatile shaft that strikes the perfect balance of distance and precision…makes for a lethal combination when paired with the RAZR Black iron.

WITB

[quote name='is76550' timestamp='1336600267' post='4883048']
Mr Williams what do you believe will be Callaways next break through technology? You have had many advancements from the original Big Berthas to the new RAZR Fit with adjustable weights, a super light crown, and adjustable shaft technology. I am curious to know where the next breakthrough will come from. Thank you for your time.

Mr Hall, I am a huge fan of the Project X graphite shafts ( was using an early prototype until I lent it to my brother in as and I haven't seen it since). My question is it yours or True Tempers philosophy that lighter is better? There are a lot of manufacturers who are going to very light shafts I was hoping forward to your opinons on these ultra light shafts and their effect on distance and accuracy. Thank you for your time as well.

To GolfWRX thanks for the giveaway and forputting this all together.
[/quote]

First of all, you’re a really good brother. Secondly, the lightweight advantage is true, but only if you can control the weight. What I mean by this is our philosophy is “play the lightest shaft you can control.” For some, going to a 50 gram or lighter driver shaft would result in inconsistent delivery of the clubhead to the ball…therefore, reducing ball speed. Remember, ball speed is the key…not clubhead speed. There are many players that would actually benefit by staying in the 60-70 gram driver shaft weight range because it will improve their tempo and help them square the face for consistent, repeatable contact. In the end, go as light as you can go while maintaining consistency!

WITB

[quote name='gavman07' timestamp='1336601229' post='4883170']
With Callaway now becoming a leader in the personal customization trend that has hit golf with the new "custom color" RAZR Fit, has True Temper talked to Callaway about possibly offering "custom color" project X driver shafts or even custom color labeled iron shafts? Obviously this has no affect on performance, but do Callaway and True Temper currently talk about teaming up to be the pioneer in a truly fully custom driver?
[/quote]

Thanks for your input. This level of customization is certainly something we have considered internally at True Temper. We would certainly be open to looking at some kind of opportunity if the demand is there.

WITB

[quote name='shortfield' timestamp='1336602743' post='4883396']
Seems like every OEM, Callaway included, has several iron models that offer various True Temper steel shafts as stock options. But its more difficult to find stock graphite shafts with True Temper logos on them. I'm sure there are a ton of reasons for that, but I am excited to see the Project X Black as a stock option for the Razr Fit TA. What characteristics of the Project X Black stand out, and helped Callaway choose it as its go to shaft?
[/quote]

The new Project X Black features our Dual Torsional Control™ technology that improves the overall hoop consistency and torsional integrity of the shaft. It’s accomplished through the use of a very cool material called TeXtreme…a patented material that is used in many high-end performance applications (ex. Formula 1 auto racing). I have heard the shaft described multiple times by better amateurs and PGA Tour players as “the most stable, lightweight shaft I’ve ever hit.” Doesn’t hurt that the TeXtreme gives the shaft a really cool look too! Appreciate your post.

WITB

[quote name='knarfgnourt' timestamp='1336611855' post='4884572']
Thanks to callaway and true temper for the live chat.

My Question: I was recently went through a outdoor fitting with a launch monitor for a driver (ended up getting a Callaway Razr fit). It was great for me to see the effect the new driver designs and technologies had on my driving. I am wondering if callaway club designers use fitting information from the callaway performance centers and tour fittings done on launch monitors as feedback for future club development? If so, what particular information from the hundreds (if not thousands) of fittings that is most important to the callaway club designers or true temper shaft designers?
[/quote]

Thanks for your question. I can speak to how True Temper uses player feedback as part of our product development process. Suffice it to say that it is the single most important aspect of whether or not we bring a product to market or not. Prior to any player testing the prototype shaft has already gone through a battery of static, durability and dynamic tests to ascertain whether or not the shaft meets all of the performance characteristics as outlined at the start of the project.
Once in player testing, we’re trying to validate that the shaft will consistently perform outside of a controlled lab testing environment. In addition, we want to make sure that the shaft has the appropriate level of feel. Many times we’ve gone back to the drawing board if the shaft fails to prove itself in player testing even though it meets all of the intended performance targets. In the end, we have to get all of the elements right – launch, spin, peak trajectory AND feel.

WITB

[quote name='radiman' timestamp='1336623354' post='4886004']
First of all, I love the brands. Both Callaway and True Temper have been mainstays in the game for a very long time. I'm a Callaway fanatic, and I pre ordered the Razr Fit the first chance I got. I love the club, but was a little dissapointed that you didn't release the dual cog tip. Now with the release of the TA driver, I just have to ask why you left it out of the original? I get the whole, simple adjustability idea. I guess, being the fanatic I am, I am contemplating buying the TA now also. Will you be making any changes to the system for your next driver? I would love to be able to use the same shafts in the next model if at all possible.

@Chad. I haven't had a chance to hit the PX black, but I really was impressed with the 7A3 tour issue shaft. Are you planning a refresh on that line anytime soon?

Thanks for the opportunity to ask some questions guys.

Mike
[/quote]

Absolutely…we’ve had some 70 and 80 gram Project X Black Tour Issue versions in the professional ranks for a while now. We will almost certainly be introducing them in the back half of this year.

WITB

[quote name='WVP' timestamp='1336659949' post='4888090']
Thanks WRX, Luke and Chad!

Is this shaft set up to suit the whole spectrum of golfer abilities/swing speeds? Or is this targeted for the lower HC?

I know the RAZR Fit was quickly bagged by Callaway staffers - is this version going into their bags now?
[/quote]

PX Black is targeted at the lower handicap player. As with the rest of the Project X franchise it produces a lower, boring trajectory with very low spin properties.

WITB

[quote name='Dean Wensel' timestamp='1336662274' post='4888404']
Callaway and True Temper,

I am a huge fan of the razrfit and now the ta version as well, I was wondering however, why the razrfit was not available with an x-stiff shaft as an option. I found many people who loved the feel of the stock shaft but just needed something a little stiffer to bring them to the optimal numbers.

And for true temperwhen is the pxi going to become an available custom option. I get many questions about it, but its hard to fit for a shaft not yet available.

Thank you,

Dean A. Wensel
[/quote]

PXi is currently available for any and all OEM’s. Some have chosen to add it to their custom lineup already and others may be waiting until the latter part of the year when they review all of their custom offerings. Just know that the shaft is far exceeding our expectations at this point – and they were very high! Thanks for your post.

WITB

[quote name='dunk7' timestamp='1336662665' post='4888452']
I recently went through a Callaway fitting and purchased a Razr Fit with multiple low torque shafts (as was recommended by the Callaway rep). I was curious if the Project X Black is a low torque shaft. Is it lower than 3.0? I have asked multiple sources and no one has any idea of torque numbers on Project X shafts.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
[/quote]

As a shaft manufacturer torque remains one of the most misunderstood (and many time poorly explained by us) aspects of the total shaft/club system performance. Many consumers assume that if a high performance shaft isn’t low torque it isn’t meant for the better player. Project X Black is a great example of that not being true. The torque of Project X Black is in the mid 3 degree range (the way TTS measures torque). However, the effective stability produced by the Dual Torsional Control makes the shaft far more stable than many of its lower torque counterparts. Hope this helps clear things up a little bit. Thanks for your post.

WITB

[quote name='BlkNGld' timestamp='1336663318' post='4888536']
Thanks for the chance to ask questions.

Two Callaway specific questions

- The swingweight of the RazrFit is something many have noticed here. What was the rationale behind releasing a club with a much higher than normal swingweight (compared to both others brands and to Callaway's prior offerings)?

- Can we expect to see other lofts in the RazrFit fairways? 3+, 4, even 7 woods?

A question for both

- What are the main considerations when producing a Callaway specific version of a TrueTemper shaft? As you probably know, the general consensus is that 'made for' shafts are generally weaker in flex and have lower kick points than the original version. Is that a fair characterization, and if so, why is it done?
[/quote]

Many times we do produce ‘made for’ versions of a particular shaft. This can be for a number of different performance features…remember, it’s all about the club system…shaft and head working in conjunction with one another. In the case of the RAZR Fit TA the Project X Black is 100% authentic…the exact same shaft as used on tour. Thanks.

WITB

[quote name='edaddy' timestamp='1336668769' post='4889228']
Is teh Project X Black shaft in the RF TA real or "made for"?
[/quote]

The Project X Black is 100% authentic…the exact same shaft as used on tour.

WITB

[quote name='king6' timestamp='1336688931' post='4891432']
To Chad Hall:
Is the Project x 5.5 in the callaway tour authentic razor fit really "tour authentic"? So is this the most popular shaft for the guys on tour in the callaway tour authentic razor fit head or do you think this shaft is the best hybrid of a tour quality shaft with the best performance for a average single digit golfer?
thank you very much
[/quote]

The Project X Black is 100% authentic…the exact same shaft as used on tour. The shaft provides the perfect balance of tour-caliber performance with enough forgiveness for the lower handicap golfer.

WITB

[quote name='slicktry' timestamp='1336692300' post='4891690']
Has True Temper looked into the forged composite technology and how it can be applied to shafts? Also, how closely did TT and Callaway work together in matching a shaft for the TA, or is it Callaways choice? In other words, what processes are applied in making the stock shaft choice for a new offering? Thanks again!

God Bless
Jer
[/quote]

We work very closely with Callaway throughout the shaft selection process. Ultimately it is solely their decision to choose the shaft that best marries up with their club system performance targets. We're thrilled with the partnership and look forward to a mutually successful product launch!

WITB

[quote name='OR_GolfNut' timestamp='1336702938' post='4892680']
What are the main differences between the new Project X Black and the original Project X?
[/quote]

The PX Black features the same low spin, low launch characteristics of the Original Project X Blue, but with a 10% weight reduction and increased stability due to the Dual Torsional Control.

WITB

[quote name='cgunnels1' timestamp='1336706842' post='4893086']
To Chad:

With the trend of lighter is better that's going on these days, what Project X Black shaft would you recommend for a player that prefers a heavier shaft. I love the look of the Black shaft, just not crazy about the 10% reduction in weight.

P.S. to Chad- Tell the family I said "Hi". Can't wait for the 5th. Super pumped!!

Chris Gunnels
[/quote]

Hey my man...what's going on? We've been testing heavier weight PX Blacks on Tour, some of our PX Black PGA players are already using 70 and 80 gram Tour versions. I think I might know someone who can hook you up. By the way, give our little princess a big kiss for me.

WITB

[quote name='minhjn' timestamp='1336750948' post='4895534']
Chad, will there ever be a revamp to the original Rifle steel line? Or is the rifle shaft, for all intents and purposes, dead? Thanks
[/quote]

Great question. We have a new Rifle blank that is available through our Perfomance Fitting Centers which allows our certified dealers to tune the shaft to frequency and ball flight preferences. Check out a list at www.performancefittingcenter.com.

WITB

Sounds great buddy! See you on the 5th.

Chris

[quote name='TrueTemper' timestamp='1337019719' post='4912706']
[quote name='cgunnels1' timestamp='1336706842' post='4893086']
To Chad:

With the trend of lighter is better that's going on these days, what Project X Black shaft would you recommend for a player that prefers a heavier shaft. I love the look of the Black shaft, just not crazy about the 10% reduction in weight.

P.S. to Chad- Tell the family I said "Hi". Can't wait for the 5th. Super pumped!!

Chris Gunnels
[/quote]

Hey my man...what's going on? We've been testing heavier weight PX Blacks on Tour, some of our PX Black PGA players are already using 70 and 80 gram Tour versions. I think I might know someone who can hook you up. By the way, give our little princess a big kiss for me.
[/quote]