The Rickie Rant

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The awful baggy print polos of the mid and late 90s were waaaaaaay worse. Steve Stricker still tries to keep that look going, yuk. I am not a fan of the flat bill hat, it seems kind of "urban" to me, but I don't care that much.

BUT, someone please give Rickie a washcloth to wash that dirt of his lip..., but I think it is good luck so its going to stay.

I'm not going to get into tastes and preferences, to each their own, but I don't see how Fowler is disrespectful to golf with his fashion sense, especially since it is really just the color selection. He's not breaking any rules, or doing anything with hostile or malicious intent, is he? If anything, as others have pointed out, he's been a pretty good citizen for the game, on and off the course (and please let's not get into what matters and what doesn't, off the course).

The facial hair, on the other hand, I think could use an... um... adjustment... but that's just my preference.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105Sย 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

the more looks the merrier

Thank goodness we aren't all in baggy khaki's and oversized shirts

Even as an overweight mid 40's guy .. I love the looks out there in golf right now with the matching shoes, belt, sunglasses, visor etc etc

Sanders went a little over the top but it was his thing .... and each golfer at that level should strive to have something that announces their individuality and themselves as a brand

Rickie, Bubba, Hunter, Phil, TW, Poults, etc all have their own things going on. Guys like Parnevik did it with a twist historically as well

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9
ย 

ย 

I don't like his style... for me. I like his style for him though and at Zurich this year, other than Bubba Watson, Fowler had the biggest gallery. Full of kids with flat brimmed Puma caps and skate shoes... and they were quiet and respectful just like the rest of the spectators. The fact is that golf is on a downswing right now and bringing kids into the game, regardless of their choice of headwear, is a fantastic thing.

[quote name='greens hit' timestamp='1336747412' post='4895052']
[quote name='FlopShotFred' timestamp='1336744835' post='4894740']
if you're going to attempt an intelligent rant, at least spell correctly. the words you are looking for are: ridiculous (meaning worthy of ridicule) and excel (meaning to surpass others). accel...seriously?

that being said, i don't and will probably never own anything from Puma, but don't knock the kid for doing his thing. he could've gone the way of everybody else and worn traditional stuff and played traditional Titleist everything for forever but this guy practically opened up a new brand to the golf scene. he's marketing himself (and a brand) at a rate that is even higher than his incredibly talented golf game. did jordan disrepect basketball with his style designs? yes it could be a fad that doesn't last, but disrespect the game....seems a bit extreme.

if it's not for you, don't buy it. but a flat bill hat creates a sad front for the game...gimme a break. ok, i'm done.
[/quote]

If you're going to attempt an intelligent reply, use proper capitalization. I won't buy that your caps button is broken as you properly capitalized Titleist. "...for forever"? A bit redundant. Gimme? Did you mean "give me"?
[/quote]

I apologize. It was clearly a stream of consiousness rant, as was likely the case with the OP. Sorry for being so critical and please forgive me for my improper syntax.

Taylormade M1 8.5 Rogue 70X
TEE E8 Tour 15* Diamana S+ 70X
Titleist 909 19* ProForce V2 90X
Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-P
Vokey 52, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron X5

IN MY OPINION the difference between rickie and guys like poulter is that poulter is genuine about his fashion. He dresses like that because he loves the way it looks and he's the most comfortable in it. Rickie seems to dress like that strictly because he's getting paid for all the attention he gets - basically the literal definition of attention whoring. That said, he does seem like a decent kid judging by interviews and he's got a solid golf game.

Does it really matter what anyone where's? It's not how you, it's how you play and his game says enough about him. Personally I would not where ALL of the stuff he does but I do like it. He seems like an over all good guy who is having fun doing what he loves. That doesn't mean he isn't taking it seriously.

To a different point, if he isn't genuine about wearing the clothes then he understands good marketing. Whether you hate it, love it, or are in different look how much attention and publicity he is getting and how much puma and cobra are getting because of him.

He has said many times that the puma line fits his style. Being 23 and coming from a motocross background I believe that. I think he is good for the sport and will bring a lot of new comers to golf. He is being himself and developing his brand, nothing wrong with that.

TM's white clubs disrespect the game too.

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5ย 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790ย 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

Then why draw the line at collared or mock shirts? Why aren't jeans allowed? If you really think about it it seems arbitrary. Best explanation? Tradition. Before jeans were commonplace, it was seen as urban or at the least "blue collared", hence the ban from most upscale courses. Flat billed hats? There is nothing about the flatness of the bill that makes it inappropriate but what it represents.

Do not compare Sanders or Poulter with Fowler. Never seen a punk kid with a can of spray paint wearing a pastel colored shirt with a cardigan.

[quote name='geesecougar2' timestamp='1336752609' post='4895730']
[/quote]

HAHA great point. May as well throw in the Golf Boys video, Natalie Gulbis' paint suit, brush tees, half the PGA Show in Orlando, range mats, GPS, The Big Break, AND Bubba's buttoned up collars.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

I can kind of hear where you're coming from, but the fact he is mature beyond his years, and always class act convinces me he is not disrespecting the game. People have worn flashy, bold things for years. If his attitude and interviews were iffy, I'd say maybe you have a case. Even Jack often wore bright yellow shirts, with crazy plaid pants.

Even though I like Pumas clothing offerings, I don't always agree with some of the outfits he puts together. With that being said, I'm still a fan of his, more so for his game, attitude and character than anything else.

Epic fail on your Rickie rant. I love the Puma stuff and wear it often. I get some comments from older guys on the golf course but I could care less. I get that its not for everyone but to say it is disrespectful is a joke.

Ping G400LST 10* Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 6.3x
Callaway Epic Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 765 Tour Spec X
Taylormade P790 UDI
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW X100 TI
Vokey SM6 50*/Nike Engage SS 55*/TM Hi-Toe 60*
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

[quote name='greens hit' timestamp='1336753071' post='4895784']
Then why draw the line at collared or mock shirts? Why aren't jeans allowed? If you really think about it it seems arbitrary. Best explanation? Tradition. Before jeans were commonplace, it was seen as urban or at the least "blue collared", hence the ban from most upscale courses. Flat billed hats? There is nothing about the flatness of the bill that makes it inappropriate but what it represents.

[size="3"][b]Do not compare Sanders or Poulter with Fowler. Never seen [u][i]a punk kid with a can of spray paint[/i][/u] wearing a pastel colored shirt with a cardigan.[/b][/size]
[/quote]

So now RF is a "[size=2][b][u]punk kid with a can of spray paint"[/u][/b][/size]
[size=2][b][u]
[/u][/b][/size]
[size=2]Greg[/size]

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

Isn't it more important that he carries himself with composure and shows respect to the game with his actions on the course? I've never seen him throw a club, curse, or do anything inapporpriate. Don't care what a person looks like, just the person.

Lots of "punks" out there who don't dress like it.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

[quote name='pga43' timestamp='1336753936' post='4895904']

[size="3"][b]Do not compare Sanders or Poulter with Fowler. Never seen [u][i]a punk kid with a can of spray paint[/i][/u] wearing a pastel colored shirt with a cardigan.[/b][/size]
[/quote]

So now RF is a "[size=2][b][u]punk kid with a can of spray paint"[/u][/b][/size]
[size=2][b][u]
[/u][/b][/size]
[size=2]Greg[/size]
[/quote]

This might be old but......

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

[quote name='rok78' timestamp='1336754681' post='4896000']
Isn't it more important that he carries himself with composure and shows respect to the game with his actions on the course? I've never seen him throw a club, curse, or do anything inapporpriate. Don't care what a person looks like, just the person.

Lots of "punks" out there who don't dress like it.
[/quote]

Hey hey hey... how dare you attempt to inject reason and common sense into this discussion! In order to maintain the current quality of golfers we must maintain that we only look as far as his shirt and pants for those are the only things needed to see if he is a punk kid or not. Punk kids and their damn booga booga music!

Seriously, the elitist attitude by some members here is sad.

[/quote]

[size=2][b][u]
[/u][/b][/size]
[size=2]Greg[/size]
[/quote]

Let me make this clear. I'm a fan of Rickie Fowler. I'm trying the demarcate the line between the flashy clothing of the seventies and now with styles and trends espoused by urban street culture.

Think about it, it's not about the color, fabric nor the straightness of the aforementioned fabric.

The same people that will puke at the sight of jorts on the golf course are defending Mr. Fowlers fashion sense. I have no problem with his neon clothes. The flat billed hats make me cringe a little. Not enough to bother me all that much.

[/quote]

So now RF is a "[size="2"][b][u]punk kid with a can of spray paint"[/u][/b][/size]
[size="2"][b][u]
[/u][/b][/size]
[size="2"]Greg[/size]
[/quote]

yeah this is wayyy off. we're gonna attack a guy's character and relate him to a punk due to the way he wears his hat...what exactly does a flat bill represent? punks with spray paint?

Taylormade M1 8.5 Rogue 70X
TEE E8 Tour 15* Diamana S+ 70X
Titleist 909 19* ProForce V2 90X
Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-P
Vokey 52, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron X5

It is a good time to discuss my opinion of Rickie Fowler. I think this guy is a great golfer, kudos to the win last week. That was a difficult course and he conquered it. I think the game needed a fresh outlook on style and individuality BUT it did not need what Rickie Fowler advertises.

ย 

As a young golfer who would normally pick up on new trends rather fast I believe the neon color schemes, and the flat bill hats that Puma is producing is a sad front for the game of golf. I see golf as a traditional game, where a neon orange outfit complete with neon orange flat bill hat (with matching headcover) is not welcome. As much fun as the loud mouth attire is, I also think it is a sad attention grabbing sequence that disrespects this game. In 5 years when this neon trend quickly dies out, will rickie be the staple of leather golf pants, too? Rediculous.

ย 

Rickie, shave that thing on your upper lip, button your shirt up, bend your bill, and tone down the color. Respect the game of golf, and continue to accel by letting your golf game show your true color.

ย 

With all due respect, let me know if I am out of line. Does anyone else feel this way?

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

sorry bro - he had on a white hat with orange trim.

ย 

profile-rickie-fowler2.jpg

ย 

i'm not a fan of orange, but i'd rather see this than whatever beige ensemble you'd prefer him to wear.

TM M5 10.5ยฐ
TEE XCG4 3w 15ยฐ
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52ยฐ

Cally MD3 58ยฐ Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

[quote name='FlopShotFred' timestamp='1336756494' post='4896174']

[/quote]

So now RF is a "[size="2"][b][u]punk kid with a can of spray paint"[/u][/b][/size]
[size="2"][b][u]
[/u][/b][/size]
[size="2"]Greg[/size]
[/quote]

yeah this is wayyy off. we're gonna attack a guy's character and relate him to a punk due to the way he wears his hat...what exactly does a flat bill represent? punks with spray paint?
[/quote]

Fowler has 20 million in his bank acct. he can afford other punk kids to tag for him.

Reading comprehension is not being taught it seems. Your homework: go back, reread and underline the main point.

[quote name='finalist' timestamp='1336753467' post='4895826']
[quote name='geesecougar2' timestamp='1336752609' post='4895730']
[/quote]

HAHA great point. May as well throw in the Golf Boys video, Natalie Gulbis' paint suit, brush tees, half the PGA Show in Orlando, range mats, GPS, The Big Break, AND Bubba's buttoned up collars.
[/quote]

And don't get me started on twisty necks and snow stamps. The nerve!

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5ย 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790ย 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck