The Rickie Rant

Gentlemen, RF did not sign that endorsement contract with PUMA/Cobra to sell golf balls. What's the fuss? Nice to see someone smiling who seems to be having a good time. In 65 years I've seen some strange clothes on the golf course. RF is tame by some comparisons. Take a look at Jack back in the 70s and early 80s. That man needed a haircut! Here's an idea. Maybe the Tour should have official uniforms, a hair code and, and, and... Where are the clothes police? And can someone tell me where did I put those pink, raspberry or lime green shorts. I want to wear them today with my orange and purple shirt.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1336821532' post='4900172']
[quote name='greens hit' timestamp='1336813093' post='4900048']
I would like to ask all you RF style synpathizers where do you draw the line when it comes to course dress code? Jeans? Ankle length basketball shorts? Flat billed hats worn a skewed? Bandana over the head? Wife beaters? Army boots?

Anything goes? Or if you do draw the line somewhere, why?
[/quote]

Well I don't "draw the line" anywhere. Short of showing boobs, butts or crotches what someone else is wearing doesn't concern me at all. Whether on the golf course or anywhere else. Some things are attractive and/or practical while others are not but the only clothes that affect me are the ones I'm wearing (usually something comfortable for an old fat boy, whether stylish or not).

As for the the specific items you mentioned, some of them (jeans, army boots) are so impractical for playing golf the person wearing them would probably strike me as a doofus without any common sense. Baggy shorts or wife-beater tee shirts are plenty ugly but so are some people's faces...one just tries not to look in those cases.

I'm not even sure what a flat-billed hat is but an obsession with caps worn "skewed", to the side or backwards is the ultimate "Keep Off My Lawn" old-man fixation. Of course as someone with practically no hair, I wear all sort of toppers to keep down the glare. Hard for me to comment on a young man's choice of headgear without seeming to be motivated by jealousy!
[/quote]

I'm with you. I really don't care. Just be respectful of the game. Really, if in the future tight swimmer outfits become practical and the trend for golf, I'm all for it.

There is no jealousy from me as I'm an actual RF fan. I just wish he would rethink that hat and hair. It's tired and really a passing fad that passed last year. Even Bieber is over it. Strictly from a fashion perspective, it's quite embarrassing.

I'm sort of a fashion snob, and that "bro" look associated with West Coast Chopper, Jesse James, and this guy http://imgur.com/v8APU is played out. I get it, and he needs to move on.

this debate reminds me of the taylormade "white" debate, of course there'll be a lot of haters, but at the end of the day money talks, i boubt you'll find many kids walking into stores asking the clerk "do you have that hat Web Simpson wears?"

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 Max 14.5*

Ping G425 17* & 19*

Titleist T100 4-6

Titleist 620MB 7-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* & 58*

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s

Sun Mountain Mid Stripe

i can't wait for rickie's rebuttal

Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif

Rickie would not bother this thread, an ill thought attempt to preserve the "We Dress Like Dinosaurs" society. Fowler's trend will pass and be replaced by some other golf fashion flash that will raise the ire of the tweed jacketed, Amana hatted, $30 cigar smoking hordes, frantically fondling their Winn gripped Diablo Edge Draw drivers, wistfully hoping that J.C. Snead makes a comeback.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

OP if we as players went back to the "traditional" golf attire, we would look way more outlandish than Ricky does today... I'm a fowler fan, he's a good guy and is good for the game. I'm 21 (only a couple years younger than ricky) and its awesome for me to see so many guys that I could have gone to highschool with tearing it up on tour. It makes me practice that much harder for my PAT in August, knowing that I am the future of the game...

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

[quote name='JWells' timestamp='1336834396' post='4900792']
[quote name='Mulligan26' timestamp='1336830416' post='4900568']
, knowing that I am the future of the game...
[/quote]
/facepalm
[/quote]

Don't "facepalm" me man, what are you doing for the game? I'm working diligently because it's my dream to teach this game for a living and to help others improve. Without people like myself who would help people become better at something they're passionate about? Hmm? Anything?

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

[quote name='kitsoasis' timestamp='1336784719' post='4898614']
[quote name='agoose10' timestamp='1336762607' post='4896770']
I wasnt attacking Rickie's demeanor, I wanted to get some opinions on the bright colors and quite honestly, my opinon has changed.

The point that it brings young players into the game, and that he is a good guy trumps nearly my whole rant. One of my favorite golfers is Adam Scott, therefore I look at his style and I think it looks nice and conservative. I chose phrasing incorrectly when I made the point that he was disrespecting the game. I should have just said that the full orange suit was out of the ordinary.

I didnt intend on this post to put down Rickie Fowler, I respect him, he sounds like a great guy, but to discuss that ugly orange! Members may be taking this to heart.
[/quote]

'Disrespecting the game' and 'out of the ordinary' are quite different, for your sake I hope you really did express yourself incorrectly rather than trying to back peddle because of the response you got.

I went and read your OP again, it was quite aggressive towards what RF wears. You say golf is a game of tradition and neon colours are not welcome? Do you really think golf is about not welcoming players because they wear colours that some people dislike? Even if we take away the fact that Rickie brings young players into the game your argument is flawed.
[/quote]

Why wouldnt I back peddle because of the response I got? I made this post to discuss player's golf attire and how it influences the game. Why cant my opinion be changed? Sure I still believe that a nice pair of slacks and a nice polo (neon is acceptable) trumps a full orange outit but now I respect RF and other players who are trying to expand the game.

In no way was my intention to attack a player personally. Other than RF's mustache, and that was supposed to be taken lightly, as a joke.

Yes, I "think golf is about not welcoming players because they wear colors that some people dislike". I am closed minded and I think anyone who wears color should be banned from golf. Especially thoes who watch color TV.

Sorry if I have greatly offended you sir.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410 LST 3wd - Alta Stiff

Srixon ZX5 MKii, 3i - KBS C-Taper Lite S 110g
Srixon ZX7 MKii, 4-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite S 110g
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50, 55, 60 - DG S400
Odyssey Prototype #9

[quote name='agoose10' timestamp='1336742478' post='4894496']
It is a good time to discuss my opinion of Rickie Fowler. I think this guy is a great golfer, kudos to the win last week. That was a difficult course and he conquered it. I think the game needed a fresh outlook on style and individuality BUT it did not need what Rickie Fowler advertises.

As a young golfer who would normally pick up on new trends rather fast I believe the neon color schemes, and the flat bill hats that Puma is producing is a sad front for the game of golf. I see golf as a traditional game, where a neon orange outfit complete with neon orange flat bill hat (with matching headcover) is not welcome. As much fun as the loud mouth attire is, I also think it is a sad attention grabbing sequence that disrespects this game. In 5 years when this neon trend quickly dies out, will rickie be the staple of leather golf pants, too? Rediculous.

Rickie, shave that thing on your upper lip, button your shirt up, bend your bill, and tone down the color. Respect the game of golf, and continue to accel by letting your golf game show your true color.

With all due respect, let me know if I am out of line. Does anyone else feel this way?

[/quote]
With all due respect I think that you are out of line.....just because you don't like his style doesn't mean it's wrong. Let me guess I bet you wear khaki Dockers a white polo and white and brown saddle shoeswhen you play . Some people would find you offensive.
P.S. Learn to spell.

[quote name='agoose10' timestamp='1336742478' post='4894496']
It is a good time to discuss my opinion of Rickie Fowler. I think this guy is a great golfer, kudos to the win last week. That was a difficult course and he conquered it. I think the game needed a fresh outlook on style and individuality BUT it did not need what Rickie Fowler advertises.

As a young golfer who would normally pick up on new trends rather fast I believe the neon color schemes, and the flat bill hats that Puma is producing is a sad front for the game of golf. I see golf as a traditional game, where a neon orange outfit complete with neon orange flat bill hat (with matching headcover) is not welcome. As much fun as the loud mouth attire is, I also think it is a sad attention grabbing sequence that disrespects this game. In 5 years when this neon trend quickly dies out, will rickie be the staple of leather golf pants, too? Rediculous.

Rickie, shave that thing on your upper lip, button your shirt up, bend your bill, and tone down the color. Respect the game of golf, and continue to accel by letting your golf game show your true color.

With all due respect, let me know if I am out of line. Does anyone else feel this way?

[/quote]

Are you Judge Smales from Bushwood?

Blogging about all things golf on my blog at [url="https://www.scottcolegolf.com"]Scott Cole Golf[/url]. Will be getting back to teaching part time in 2019!

Love the way Rickie adds his own sense of style to the game. Do we want everyone wearing dark slacks and white shirts? Love what Rickie wears, and I particularly love the Loudmouth brand that John Daly wears.

Blogging about all things golf on my blog at [url="https://www.scottcolegolf.com"]Scott Cole Golf[/url]. Will be getting back to teaching part time in 2019!

Hey, as long as it's not gym shorts past the knees and sleeveless t-shirts ( or t-shirts in general) I think i might be OK with it.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I've got to laugh about criticism of other eras. This period is going to be relentlessly mocked decades from now, and rightfully so.

Baggy and below the waist. That's clever. Buzzed hair. Women with no hair. Tramp stamps. Sometimes on Friday and Saturday nights in Las Vegas I'll see one group of young women after another cruising the town, all with jeans, bare midriff, and tramp stamps. I always hope they at least got a volume discount on the tramp stamps.

Rickie looks fine. I'm impressed that he's confident enough to allow some bend in his hair as opposed to the paranoid types who desperately switch appearance based on what's supposedly in style. Why be alone when I can be a clone?

He actually seems to be toning down his dress a bit.

Not really sure why it matters though. Golfers have never exactly dressed normal.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

Growing up in Houston I always rememberd Doug Sanders and his matching shoes, pants, shirt, hat, glove, bag outfits. Im just jealous because at 6'4" 280 i cant sport any of the Rickie or Ian outfits. Pretty sure that any of these guys that are on the tour are not showing any disrespect by wearing clothing that dont have your approval.

GO REBS

[quote name='GO REBS' timestamp='1336873489' post='4903212']
Growing up in Houston I always rememberd Doug Sanders and his matching shoes, pants, shirt, hat, glove, bag outfits. Im just jealous because at 6'4" 280 i cant sport any of the Rickie or Ian outfits. Pretty sure that any of these guys that are on the tour are not showing any disrespect by wearing clothing that dont have your approval.

GO REBS
[/quote]

At 6'4 and 280

I have a feeling you could wear Rickies orange pajamas or Ian's pink shoes

And not hear any complaints

Golf needs more "fun".

The grumpy guy turning people away from golf due to their attire isn't helping the game grow.

It's not like Rickie is wearing a a sleeveless shirt and blue jeans. He's one of the most respectful young guys on the PGA tour. He says and does all the right things...[b]and now he's winning.[/b] He's a role model, a golf marketing machine and exactly what the PGA needs to grab the next generation of golfers.

[size="3"][u]If a fashion statement gets more people playing the game it's a small price to pay.[/u][/size]

Rickie is great for the sport and bringing some fresh style into a somewhat stale atmosphere. Flat brims are in every sport and it's a hip thing. I honestly hated them at first, but now I have a few that I rock around town and around the course. I wouldn't be caught wearing those flashy colors, but I'm also not in contention to win The Players. Golf has always been a game of marketing (as seen on every players hat, shirt, bag, glove...etc) and if the kid can make some money and trend a new style...I'm pumped for him. In the end, he's gotta bring home the $ and you know damn well he's doing that with his glow. Props to Rickie...and may the orange force be with you tomorrow!!!

Man this gets brought up like everytime Rickie plays. Why do people feel like the game doesn't need to evolve? I hate looking old and stale, brighter colors and statements are what I'm looking for. And that's what PUMA advertises. Where in this holy sacred game is there rules that you need to wear certain things to protect the so called "sanctity" of the game. I'm pretty sure we are all more glad that perhaps this could be adding more younger players to the game of golf. Even here in Hawaii, where we can golf all day everyday, the clubs I belong to rarely have many younger people. How do you expect to grow the game if there isn't the younger generation to follow? I could go on and on, but that would be bringing up just the same points made in every single one of these posts. I know this started to sound like a rant, but I just hate it when people judge a book by it's cover. Rickie is a real stand up guy and is a great role model for all young people, who respects the game but plays it in his own style. Yeah, I'm a flat brimmed wearing Rickie fan, proud of it too.

I'd like to think I'm some kind of a modern traditionalist myself, but I think there is plenty of room in this game for flair. aside from non golf clothing, I'm cool with almost all styles on the course, incl fat brim hats, but the one thing that kinda bugs me for some reason is when people don't wear a hat at all. every now and then is ok. but the fact that Robert Rock and many other Euro players don't wear hats just bothers me. I'm not like extremely upset about it, it just kinda bugs me.

So in your opinion everyone should dress and look like Ogilvy on the course to keep up with your conservative, what's right for the game opinion? Man, I can just see the Nielsen ratings now. Golf is tough enough, why not dress to make yourself feel good out there? I've been rocking a pair of red Oakley golf shoes for years now, long before the colored shoes became mainstream. I love the comments I get when I wear them. It brings a little more enjoyment to the whole day. So in other words, go RF.