The Rickie Rant

The thing about a bold and unique style is that it will polarize. There are always a group of people that will lash out at something different than what they are used to. I wish people would learn that it is possible to accept something that you don't necessarily [i]like[/i]. Unfortunately, there is a "I don't like it so it has to go away" mentality on these forums, whether talking about Rickie's hat and colors or white drivers... it's such a childish approach to life.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='greens hit' timestamp='1336827712' post='4900440']
[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1336821532' post='4900172']
[quote name='greens hit' timestamp='1336813093' post='4900048']
I would like to ask all you RF style synpathizers where do you draw the line when it comes to course dress code? Jeans? Ankle length basketball shorts? Flat billed hats worn a skewed? Bandana over the head? Wife beaters? Army boots?

Anything goes? Or if you do draw the line somewhere, why?
[/quote]

Well I don't "draw the line" anywhere. Short of showing boobs, butts or crotches what someone else is wearing doesn't concern me at all. Whether on the golf course or anywhere else. Some things are attractive and/or practical while others are not but the only clothes that affect me are the ones I'm wearing (usually something comfortable for an old fat boy, whether stylish or not).

As for the the specific items you mentioned, some of them (jeans, army boots) are so impractical for playing golf the person wearing them would probably strike me as a doofus without any common sense. Baggy shorts or wife-beater tee shirts are plenty ugly but so are some people's faces...one just tries not to look in those cases.

I'm not even sure what a flat-billed hat is but an obsession with caps worn "skewed", to the side or backwards is the ultimate "Keep Off My Lawn" old-man fixation. Of course as someone with practically no hair, I wear all sort of toppers to keep down the glare. Hard for me to comment on a young man's choice of headgear without seeming to be motivated by jealousy!
[/quote]

I'm with you. I really don't care. Just be respectful of the game. Really, if in the future tight swimmer outfits become practical and the trend for golf, I'm all for it.

There is no jealousy from me as I'm an actual RF fan. I just wish he would rethink that hat and hair. It's tired and really a passing fad that passed last year. Even Bieber is over it. Strictly from a fashion perspective, it's quite embarrassing.

I'm sort of a fashion snob, and that "bro" look associated with West Coast Chopper, Jesse James, and this guy [url="http://imgur.com/v8APU"]http://imgur.com/v8APU[/url] is played out. I get it, and he needs to move on.
[/quote]

FWIW, the retail stores would probably vehemently disagree with you on your statement of "it's tired and really a passing fad that passed last year". Golf stores/courses around here(Memphis) last Monday were running out of stock of the flat billed Puma hats. I believe someone that worked at a golf course(not sure where in the US) sent Rickie a tweet saying as much. It said something like "just had a customer ask if we had any more of the Rickie hats".

Regardless of how you feel about how he dresses, I believe you would do the exact same thing for the amount of money that Puma is paying him to be the face of their line. He bridges a gap that has never been approached before in the game of golf. He's a 23yr old guy that came from an "x games" type of background. Golf has never had some one that could open the door to that particular group of fans. Rickie does that, and the game of golf is growing because of it.

I would like to ask all you RF style synpathizers where do you draw the line when it comes to course dress code? Jeans? Ankle length basketball shorts? Flat billed hats worn a skewed? Bandana over the head? Wife beaters? Army boots?

[/quote]

Us "RF style sympathizers" don't have to draw the line... Golf Clubs already do that... and Rickie obeys them. Wow... did I just save golf!?

[quote name='Timothy Q' timestamp='1337016793' post='4912254']

[/quote]

Us "RF style sympathizers" don't have to draw the line... Golf Clubs already do that... and Rickie obeys them. Wow... did I just save golf!?
[/quote]

RF is a great golfer with a great attitude. Relax. It's a light hearted discussion about his style. For all I care, you could wear bike shorts with your moose knuckle shown in full glory. Just trying to point out certain hypocrites who puke at the sight of jeans on the golf course but anything goes with RF. Why do you think Denim fabric is prohibited on most nicer golf courses? Because it's associated with "blue collar" and street. These days denim can be quite comfortable with flex added and can be quite stylish. Flat billed hats are associated with x games, "bro" life, Natty light, drunk frat boys, etc. This may sound like I'm against it, but it can't be farther from the truth. I will fight to the end, your freedom to wear what ever you want on the golf course. But for now, I will abide by the rules and wear a collared shirt and non denim fabric on the course. Please separate my opinion of how cheesy that hat looks in extra large and over his ears, from RF the golfer. I'm a big fan, and hope he wins many more including majors. BTW, I have nothing against the loud colors that he wears, style wise or otherwise.

this is the most rediculous thread I have read in a while... the OP is probably one of the people who think my fiancee and I are horrible people because she elected to wear a red dress down the aisle...

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='Timothy Q' timestamp='1337012221' post='4911742']
The thing about a bold and unique style is that it will polarize. There are always a group of people that will lash out at something different than what they are used to. I wish people would learn that it is possible to accept something that you don't necessarily [i]like[/i]. [b]Unfortunately, there is a "I don't like it so it has to go away" mentality on these forums[/b], whether talking about Rickie's hat and colors or white drivers... it's such a childish approach to life.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, it's not just on these forums.

This post is as laughable as the post asking for info on Kuchar's outfit Saturday and where to buy it. REALLY?

ap-201205131047388329385.jpg

My grandfather had better style than this and he liked to wear those old one piece jumpsuits with the built in sailor belt thing.

Lime cap, blue shirt, dark brown belt w light brown shoes. Pull those pants up a bit more so you ain't sagg'n eitha.

People on this site think this looks good, so to see the hundredth thread on hating what Fowler wears doesn't surprise me in the LEAST!

Fowler is a great ambassador for the game, if you don't care for his outfits, so be it, but how that at all relates to disrespect for the game or some of the other nonsense on the thread is amazing. There are some true crumudgins on this site.

This post is as laughable as the post asking for info on Kuchar's outfit Saturday and where to buy it. REALLY?

My grandfather had better style than this and he liked to wear those old one piece jumpsuits with the built in sailor belt thing.

Lime cap, blue shirt, dark brown belt w light brown shoes. Pull those pants up a bit more so you ain't sagg'n eitha.

People on this site think this looks good, so to see the hundredth thread on hating what Fowler wears doesn't surprise me in the LEAST!

Fowler is a great ambassador for the game, if you don't care for his outfits, so be it, but how that at all relates to disrespect for the game or some of the other nonsense on the thread is amazing. There are some true crumudgins on this site.

* slow clap started *

Nothing wrong with Rickie's style, . . he's just a trendy guy.

Personally I am not a fan of the flat billed hats, but it works for him.

Now if I see him playing with a gold "new era" sticker on top of his bill, then I will say he is an imbecile who disrespects himself and the game.

Everytime I see somebody wearing a hat with that sticker on it (especailly children) I want to smack it off their head and tell them they look like a moron.

If he wants to dress like the leader of the Guantanamo Bay appreciation society, then that's fair enough. His clothing is within the dress code rules, so he can do what he likes. I'd rather see RIckie dressed like that that people like Kuchar, whose shirts seemed to be made by a parachute canopy manufacturer looking to branch out in to golf attire.

Obviously Puma clothing isn't everyone's cup of tea. I certainly wouldn't wear any of the clothing (although I do have my eye on a pair of their shoes), but I know that my local golf clubs stocks Puma and they sell a TON of the stuff.

In my view it is good that he has such an individual style that appeals to the younger generations. Golf needs more young people playing the game, and if Rickie is the person to introduce them to the game, then I won't have any problem seeing an increase in flat brimmed hats.

Anyway, give it 5 years and his style will have evolved. He will probably still wear orange on Sundays, but I wouldn't mind betting that it will be a toned down version, and the silly hat will disappear too.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

I agree with you. Sergio had the epitome of golf style when he contended in the PGA all those years ago with Tiger. Its the bright colors that have hurt his game the most. ;)

sergio99pga_299x363.jpg

pga_a_garcia1x_400.jpg

M1 440 8.5 Project X Hzrdus Black
SLDR Mini 12 long neck black tie 80
x2 Hot 5 Deep 82x Diamana D+
Titleist 714 AP2 KBS Tour X
ATV Tour issue 54/58
XFT 50
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 1 Arm Lock

[quote name='rama5' timestamp='1336916348' post='4905006']
Old school, respect the game, say who was the golfer (sadly no longer with us) wearing knicker (old old school) yet were of the colours / logos of NFL. was that respectful of the game?
[/quote]

Even worse he didn't play for those teams therefore he should not have been able to wear the logos.

RF looks like a clown and I root for him to miss the cut every week so I don't have to see him and his garbage outfits and his idiotic and sheepish gallery on tv.

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron 009[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Taylormade TP5x[/size][/font]

[quote name='Arpeggi' timestamp='1337092517' post='4917908']
RF looks like a clown and I root for him to miss the cut every week so I don't have to see him and his garbage outfits and his idiotic and sheepish gallery on tv.
[/quote]
Haters gonna hate, alligators gonna alligate. Personally, I think anybody who wishes harm on anyone else is petty and jealous. Keep your idiotic comments to yourself. Rickie and Bubba have the best attitudes on tour and they are doing their own thing. I'm glad kids these days are emulating Rickie or Rory or Bubba, I'd much rather that than them emulating Tiger. They are much better role models.

[/quote]

rooting for any player to play poorly even your opponents is exactly opposite the general principals of golf. check yourself lest you wreck yourself

Somewhere in the middle lies the "style" truth. Life is not, usually black or white. By the way, gray is a great color.

I'd hate to see Mr Fowler being that last hold out of a passing fad. Like Chris Rock once said, you don't want to be that "old" guy at the night club. Keep the bright colors, but update the look around the head. Once you acquire your driver's license, your flat brimmed hat should be revoked. Just my opinion. Your son pulls it off nicely though.

I believe the purpose of this post has been fulfilled. I dont see how Bubba, Kuchar, or Rory got pulled into the discussion of orange outfits either. I dont know how to close a topic but I need to learn.

Thanks

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410 LST 3wd - Alta Stiff

Srixon ZX5 MKii, 3i - KBS C-Taper Lite S 110g
Srixon ZX7 MKii, 4-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite S 110g
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50, 55, 60 - DG S400
Odyssey Prototype #9

Here's some real bad golf "fashion"

Brian Barnes

BB_display_image.jpg

John O'Leary

JO_display_image.jpg

JD

1244758362.jpg

pga_g_daly2_400.jpg

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

[quote name='greens hit' timestamp='1337094498' post='4918140']
Somewhere in the middle lies the "style" truth. Life is not, usually black or white. By the way, gray is a great color.
I'd hate to see Mr Fowler being that last hold out of a passing fad. Like Chris Rock once said, you don't want to be that "old" guy at the night club. Keep the bright colors, but update the look around the head. Once you acquire your driver's license, your flat brimmed hat should be revoked. Just my opinion. Your son pulls it off nicely though.
[/quote]

So what would make more sense....That Rickie IS the new style, or that the tired look from the 90s that players are abandoning left and right is suddenly going to come back in?

While style might be hard to predict, the one certainty is change. Rickie represents what the next wave of players will look like. Flat brims will be the norm. I would look for more solids, and since people are doing solids brighter more interesting colors are to be expected. It's a great look and I wish more people would try it. I used to not liek even wearign a hat because I have long cool lookign hair, but now I look forward to it, especially when new monolines show up!!!

Personally, I would hate to be the last guy wearing dull khakis, baseball hats, and the tired sad gray, black, brown rotation. Sadly, those dudes will be like the guy at the night club, not Rickie. Spend some time with he kids of this generation, they ALL wear flat brim hats, Puma, etc. By the way, Nike, Callaway, Titliest you name it are all doing flat brims now. Nike's new line also is much more colorful that previous years.

I even see it personally. When I started wearing my Puma outfits to work on our casual Friday's, some folks gave me the needle and thought it was goof or whatever. Now people look forward to see what I am going to be rocking, and a few of my contemporaries even bought flat brim hats.

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

[/quote]

You have been herewith awarded a doctorate in doltish remarks.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1337095968' post='4918360']
[quote name='greens hit' timestamp='1337094498' post='4918140']
[/quote]

So what would make more sense....That Rickie IS the new style, or that the tired look from the 90s that players are abandoning left and right is suddenly going to come back in?

While style might be hard to predict, the one certainty is change. Rickie represents what the next wave of players will look like. Flat brims will be the norm. I would look for more solids, and since people are doing solids brighter more interesting colors are to be expected. It's a great look and I wish more people would try it. I used to not liek even wearign a hat because I have long cool lookign hair, but now I look forward to it, especially when new monolines show up!!!

Personally, I would hate to be the last guy wearing dull khakis, baseball hats, and the tired sad gray, black, brown rotation. Sadly, those dudes will be like the guy at the night club, not Rickie. Spend some time with he kids of this generation, they ALL wear flat brim hats, Puma, etc. By the way, Nike, Callaway, Titliest you name it are all doing flat brims now. Nike's new line also is much more colorful that previous years.

I even see it personally. When I started wearing my Puma outfits to work on our casual Friday's, some folks gave me the needle and thought it was goof or whatever. Now people look forward to see what I am going to be rocking, and a few of my contemporaries even bought flat brim hats.
[/quote]

I totally agree here... when I started working I was wearing a lot a bright color, loud dress shirts... Shirts made by Tailorbird, Thomas Dean, etc. Pinks, Lavenders, etc. People at first gave me look but now I get a ton of compliments. At 25 Im one of the young guys in the office. Over the past 3 years the color spectrum has dramatically changed. Sure bright colors are probably a fad. But its a fad I love. I'll change my style when my taste changes.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1337095968' post='4918360']
Personally, I would hate to be the last guy wearing dull khakis, baseball hats, and the tired sad gray, black, brown rotation. Sadly, those dudes will be like the guy at the night club, not Rickie. [b]Spend some time with he kids of this generation, they ALL wear flat brim hats,[/b] Puma, etc. By the way, Nike, Callaway, Titliest you name it are all doing flat brims now. Nike's new line also is much more colorful that previous years.
[/quote]

I was sort of with you until that statement I highlighted... I can't speak for Detroit (That's where you're from right?) but I live in Orange County and frequent New York/L.A./NJ on a semi regular basis (two places I would consider at the forefront of fashion in a lot of ways) and ALL of the kids are not wearing flat brimmed hats. They're around but they aren't the dominant style by a long shot. They are about as popular as the mesh "trucker" caps were about 8-10 years ago... that said, I think Rickie looks great out there.

I seriously hope most of these posts are coming from 13 year old's with a Fowler crush, trying to deny their true feeling's. Dont come here and show how manly you are and bash your secret love thinkng your feelings will change. Instead get over yourself and move on, maybe tennis? I mean when your judging other men's clothes its gotta be the answer right?

I have to say I love these forums! People still living in the dark ages when it comes to tradition and attire, people wishing pro's to play bad, people wanting to look like every other pro golfer in sand coloured pants and a stripey top.....the list goes on.

In short everything about golf is individual and personal. If we all looked and played the same the world of golf would be a dull place.

As for Rickie, I think he's the NUTS! Turns pro, gets in the Ryder cup team, gets plenty of endorsements worth millions of dollars, rides with pro MX riders in his spare time, has a car garage most stockbrokers dream of, has a fit bird, travels the world, looks great, dares to be different and most of all gets paid to play golf!

Whats there not to like? Jealous of? Hell yeah!!!!!

[quote name='Dasenergi' timestamp='1337129873' post='4921788']
I seriously hope most of these posts are coming from 13 year old's with a Fowler crush, trying to deny their true feeling's. Dont come here and show how manly you are and bash your secret love thinkng your feelings will change. Instead get over yourself and move on, maybe tennis? I mean when your judging other men's clothes its gotta be the answer right?
[/quote]

I'm with you. How dare people discuss attire on this sub forum named "Golf style and Accessories"!!!