2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The Rickie Rant

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Beatupfender' timestamp='1337011273' post='4911634']
Wow. I scanned through all 5 pages of this crap. Some folks REALLY need to get a life (me included).

Seriously? Never mind the fact that jealousy and a severe lack of self-esteem based on poor accomplishments would make someone start nit-picking on a successful, healthy, and seemingly well-balanced individual at the top of his game/business, a kid who has managed to land himself a lucrative sponsorship deal AND managed to hoist himself up his sport's rankings at the tender age of 20-something, without EVER looking like a snob, without treating women or people in general disrespectfully, without promoting or condoning substance abuse, and whose sole sin as far as I am concerned is to have appeared in that awful rap video with his friends Watson, Mahan and Crane. All of whom are ALSO pretty dang successful. And all of whom seemed to have a great old time goofing off with their buddies, which is what we regular joes should be thinking about when we think golf, NOT how someone else's wardrobe will affect the Earth's revolution around the sun.

Good Lord/Jehovah/Allah/Jabbah the Hut.
I won't even tell you how I feel about poor spelling, but poor judgment is a HELL of a lot worse than a colorful flat-brimmed hat, any day.
[/quote]

BOOM... That just happened.

Shake and bake BeatUpFender!

I DVR'd Sunday's round, which was about 6 hours of coverage. I only had about an hour to watch it, and was mainly interested in seeing if RF could pull off two in a row. I used the high speed fast forward, and went to normal play speed whenever i saw orange!!!

off topic, but even at full speed fast forward, Kevin Na's routine was still agonizing.

Finally some common sense in the style forum! Rickie is a great golfer with the worst style ever. Let me rephrase, his sponsors have the worst style ever and if you look at this from a purely fashion perspective the whole fluro thing died at least 2 years go.

The dirty sanchez mustache just brings a trailer park edge to the idiotic look.

[quote name='agoose10' timestamp='1336742478' post='4894496']
It is a good time to discuss my opinion of Rickie Fowler. I think this guy is a great golfer, kudos to the win last week. That was a difficult course and he conquered it. I think the game needed a fresh outlook on style and individuality BUT it did not need what Rickie Fowler advertises.

As a young golfer who would normally pick up on new trends rather fast I believe the neon color schemes, and the flat bill hats that Puma is producing is a sad front for the game of golf. I see golf as a traditional game, where a neon orange outfit complete with neon orange flat bill hat (with matching headcover) is not welcome. As much fun as the loud mouth attire is, I also think it is a sad attention grabbing sequence that disrespects this game. In 5 years when this neon trend quickly dies out, will rickie be the staple of leather golf pants, too? Rediculous.

Rickie, shave that thing on your upper lip, button your shirt up, bend your bill, and tone down the color. Respect the game of golf, and continue to accel by letting your golf game show your true color.

With all due respect, let me know if I am out of line. Does anyone else feel this way?
[/quote]

It is a good time to discuss my opinion of Rickie Fowler. I think this guy is a great golfer, kudos to the win last week. That was a difficult course and he conquered it. I think the game needed a fresh outlook on style and individuality BUT it did not need what Rickie Fowler advertises.

As a young golfer who would normally pick up on new trends rather fast I believe the neon color schemes, and the flat bill hats that Puma is producing is a sad front for the game of golf. I see golf as a traditional game, where a neon orange outfit complete with neon orange flat bill hat (with matching headcover) [b]is not welcome[/b]. As much fun as the loud mouth attire is, I also think it is a sad attention grabbing sequence that disrespects this game. In 5 years when this neon trend quickly dies out, will rickie be the staple of leather golf pants, too? Rediculous.

Rickie, shave that thing on your upper lip, button your shirt up, bend your bill, and tone down the color. Respect the game of golf, and continue to accel by letting your golf game show your true color.

[b]With all due respect, let me know if I am out of line. Does anyone else feel this way?

[/b]
[/quote]

i'm sorry i must have missed at what point you became the voice of golf?

yes, you're out of line. if you're so much about golf then focus on the game, not who's wearing what.

[quote name='wookmod' timestamp='1337197988' post='4926534']
Finally some common sense in the style forum! Rickie is a great golfer with the worst style ever. Let me rephrase, his sponsors have the worst style ever and if you look at this from a purely fashion perspective the whole fluro thing died at least 2 years go.

[/quote]

how cute, i guess it's not surprising to find this troll in a thread bashing puma "style". if you can't pull it off then move on, wear you aquascrotum or whatever you prefer. STYLE, in case you've never been informed, is kind of a subjective thing, and by "kind of" i mean completely subjective to each individuals own personal tastes. no one died and made you style consultant for the entire golfing world, take your hate and channel it elsewhere.

As a young golfer who would normally pick up on new trends rather fast I believe the neon color schemes, and the flat bill hats that Puma is producing is a sad front for the game of golf. I see golf as a traditional game, where a neon orange outfit complete with neon orange flat bill hat (with matching headcover) is not welcome. As much fun as the loud mouth attire is, I also think it is a sad attention grabbing sequence that disrespects this game. In 5 years when this neon trend quickly dies out, will rickie be the staple of leather golf pants, too? Rediculous.

With all due respect, let me know if I am out of line. Does anyone else feel this way?
[/quote]
[/quote]

two things..im thinking the "dirty sanchez" comment is offensive. You spelled ridiculous wrong which is the word that sums up your entire post, and Ryo Ishikawa rocked leather pants either last fall or the fall before that. You're behind on the times. :busted2:

I also misspelt Moustache.

Yeah, so busted that I'm going to run out now and buy a flat billed hat and some leather pants.

[quote name='proquick72' timestamp='1337264639' post='4931008']

[/quote]
[/quote]

two things..im thinking the "dirty sanchez" comment is offensive. You spelled ridiculous wrong which is the word that sums up your entire post, and Ryo Ishikawa rocked leather pants either last fall or the fall before that. You're behind on the times. :busted2:
[/quote]

If I'm not mistaken haven't some of the "traditional" golf brands such as IZOD moved towards more bright and bold color schemes as well as more bold patterns?

TaylorMade M5 10.5* w/ Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 6X
Titleist 915f 15* w/ RIP Phenom 80X
Titleist 718 T-MB 3 Iron w/ Project X 6.5 Rifle
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW w/ KBS Tour 130 X
Titleist Vokey SM7 52* and 56*
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60*
TaylorMade TP Red Ardmore 2 CS

This post is as laughable as the post asking for info on Kuchar's outfit Saturday and where to buy it. REALLY?

ap-201205131047388329385.jpg

My grandfather had better style than this and he liked to wear those old one piece jumpsuits with the built in sailor belt thing.

Lime cap, blue shirt, dark brown belt w light brown shoes. Pull those pants up a bit more so you ain't sagg'n eitha.

People on this site think this looks good, so to see the hundredth thread on hating what Fowler wears doesn't surprise me in the LEAST!

Fowler is a great ambassador for the game, if you don't care for his outfits, so be it, but how that at all relates to disrespect for the game or some of the other nonsense on the thread is amazing. There are some true crumudgins on this site.

RF=awesome Pleated pants if you are under 60 or not seriously overweight=not awesome. Pleats were designed for overweight and/or people who wear their pants up around their belly buttons. If you don't believe me, follow the link below. Kuchar, come on man...you are "that guy"!!! Lets all stop talking about RF, take a valuable fashion lesson you learned on Golfwrx.com from a pointless topic, and apply it to real life so you can stop being "That guy".

http://www.mensflair...stood-pleat.php

There are alway people that won't like YOUR style, doesn't matter if you're a pro golfer or whatever. Some have really taken the rant too far tho. As for me I'm almost 60 but really like the RF look, remember Payne? He was sure different but there was never a time when a camera panned by that you couldn't recognize him! Tiger wears red shirts and you'll notice no one else does (on Sunday). So let's agree to disagree and not get nasty about it, just enjoy this great game.

Whilst I wouldn't choose to dress that way myself, I don't see how Folwer's choice of attire is disrespecting the game. It's not like he's wearing denim on the course. Ultimately it's a trend which will die out like all others. No need to panic.

And let's be honest, some of the most offensive outfits in the history of golf have been worn by various Ryder Cup teams. Did you call these players in to question for disrespecting the game too? I doubt it.

[attachment=1169510:1983rydercup.jpeg]

[attachment=1169514:imgres.jpeg]

[attachment=1169516:_42102362_useuropesplit_getty.jpeg]

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1337095968' post='4918360']
[quote name='greens hit' timestamp='1337094498' post='4918140']
Somewhere in the middle lies the "style" truth. Life is not, usually black or white. By the way, gray is a great color.
I'd hate to see Mr Fowler being that last hold out of a passing fad. Like Chris Rock once said, you don't want to be that "old" guy at the night club. Keep the bright colors, but update the look around the head. Once you acquire your driver's license, your flat brimmed hat should be revoked. Just my opinion. Your son pulls it off nicely though.
[/quote]

So what would make more sense....That Rickie IS the new style, or that the tired look from the 90s that players are abandoning left and right is suddenly going to come back in?

While style might be hard to predict, the one certainty is change. Rickie represents what the next wave of players will look like. Flat brims will be the norm. I would look for more solids, and since people are doing solids brighter more interesting colors are to be expected.
[/quote]

People always assume when the new trend comes in and gains popularity that it will just be the norm from that point on, but that never happens because at its essence, golf fashion is reactionary. It doesn't build off the current trend and take it even farther, it trashes the current trend and moves in the opposite direction. What is considered outlandish and flashy in one era is the norm for the next one, and then boring and outdated soon after...sometimes very quickly. Each time the more colorful, more flashy clothes have come around they eventually reached a point where those people who want to stand out fashion wise end up moving the in other direction and going back to the colors and cuts of the previous era in order to do so. Eventually the masses follow, and the whole cycle starts all over again.

What Rickie is wearing now is no more colorful than what Doug Sanders wore in the 1960s, it doesn't stand out anymore than the bell bottoms and plaid of the 1970s, or the multi-color and Tabasco trends of the 1990s. It's simply the current iteration of a trend that's been going on for decades. At some point, people will have had enough of it and move back to more understated style and muted colors that are now considered tired and there will be a new young golfer with a style that's considered outlandish, and people will make the same comments about him that they make about Rickie.

I would never wear what he wears. So what? I am not him and he is not me. Wear what you like. What I do notice is all the young kids in the crowd wearing his gear, that is good for the game. So I am happy for him and for Puma.

When I was in High school and playing Tennis I used to wear all of Andre Agassi's gear. Now I look at those pictures and cringe, but so what Andre grew out of it and did I.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

His "stache" is awful. The guy just doesn't grow facial hair too well haha. His clothing style is pretty vibrant. I like the colors he chooses and puma makes excellent looking stuff. Would I wear what Rickie wears? Hell no, I couldn't take myself seriously dressed in those colorful pants. I love the shirts though. I love bright colors. Previous posters have said the same things... he is marketing himself brilliantly, he is doing things on his own accord, and he is not disrespecting the game. Trends come and go...

Personally I felt anyone wearing a paisley shirt is an abomination... to golf, my eyes, and humanity. Thankfully that trend is gone.

[/quote]

[size="2"]Ipersonally respect your comments a great deal however, I doubt youwill get many like minds here. The political correctness will comeout and beat you down.[/size]

It's kind of interesting to note that Adidas and Nike are also following suit with similar bright colours in their collections. It's a trend at the moment that is gaining momentum.

It's not only restricted to golf. Look at all the trainers.......all have fluro accents.

I still don't get why people have a problem with Rickie's attire. It's great for the game. Puma and RF have done a lot to modernise the sport and make it appealing to the next generation. That can only be a good thing.

Titleist 913 D2 10.5* Diamana S+
Bridgestone J40 4W 16* Project X 6.0
Bridgestone J40 3H 21* Project X 6.0
Mizuno MP 53 4-PW XP S300
Mizuno T4 52* and 58* S300
Odyssey ProType Black 2 ball

If I'm not mistaken haven't some of the "traditional" golf brands such as IZOD moved towards more bright and bold color schemes as well as more bold patterns?

Exactly. Funny how so many others are wearing crazy clothes and no one is harping on themrussian_roulette.gif

First he couldnt win, than it was his clothes, than his muctache. I actually think some of these haters are attracted to Fowler. Why else would you spend countless hours thinking about him? If you dont like the guy why do you comment and follow his moves? Its ok to be gay guys Imean seriously grow the f@$% up already. Get a life, a set of balls and get out of the house and off your computers.

I suspect many of you are the same guys who couldnt play any other sports if your life depended on it. Why else would you seriously be hating on the one guy who is bringing more fans to the game? Its a calamity to hear many of you hate on the guy. Hes a winner, hes a multi millionaire and hes got a tight lil hottie for a gf.... That must piss alot of you spolied babys off. I mean really it must coz look at the comments. Jealousy is weakness its not something to be proud of.

Exactly. Funny how so many others are wearing crazy clothes and no one is harping on themrussian_roulette.gif

First he couldnt win, than it was his clothes, than his muctache. I actually think some of these haters are attracted to Fowler. Why else would you spend countless hours thinking about him? If you dont like the guy why do you comment and follow his moves? Its ok to be gay guys Imean seriously grow the f@$% up already. Get a life, a set of balls and get out of the house and off your computers.

I suspect many of you are the same guys who couldnt play any other sports if your life depended on it. Why else would you seriously be hating on the one guy who is bringing more fans to the game? Its a calamity to hear many of you hate on the guy. Hes a winner, hes a multi millionaire and hes got a tight lil hottie for a gf.... That must piss alot of you spolied babys off. I mean really it must coz look at the comments. Jealousy is weakness its not something to be proud of.

Sit down

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron 009[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Taylormade TP5x[/size][/font]

Seriously? In every sport, there is an element and an evolution to the style in which it's competitors dawn. Michael Jordan made shorts that fell below the knee and elaborate looking sneakers in basketball common place. Andre Aggasi brought bright colors to the tennis court. Ken Griffey Jr. made backwards hats and high top cleats the norm in baseball. Just look at what Nike has done with the football uniforms this year. They have been elevated and transformed.

I understand that golf is a game thats highly based around "tradition" but come on. Dude is wearing bright colors and flat brim hats (compared to your oh so tradition curved bill hat? Really, it's offensive?). If he was playing golf in a tank top and jeans I may see your point, but he's not.

Yikes!

• 4 weeks later...