2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

How many woods?

scoot

Only 2 in my bag now.
Just started playing again after acouple of years off with back problems. Back in the late 90's I gotdown to a +1.8 and my bag consisted of: D, 3W, 1-iron, and 3-SW &LW. Around '06 I bought into the hype that suddenly no one on earthcould hit long irons and “new” wood technology and Hybrids werethe only to go so, I added a 5W then a Hybrid. Scores gradually gotworse and distance gaps were all over the place.

Over the years I have had a couple ofthese lay-offs with the back and always seem to have a honeymoonperiod of good golf when I return. However, this time I decided to goback to old school, bag the blades driver, a 5W bent to 17ºand 2-SW & LW. Could again be another honeymoon period but, I amhitting it good, my distance gaps are much better and I'm thinking myway around better than I have in years.

Justwondering if anyone else is using only 2 woods in their bag and haveexperienced the honeymoon after a long layoff.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no hard and fast rule for what clubs work for you.....

Everybody says hybrids are super easy to hit....i can't hit them to save my life.....but i'm good with fairways, so i go with that.....and my budy can hit a 3 iron as high as my 9 iron....so he doesn't need them.

Fact is....if you can hit the 1 iron....knock yourself out.....like you said "it's just hype".....different things work for different people

[quote name='Another Steelers Fan' timestamp='1337360194' post='4938164']
[quote name='Jeembo' timestamp='1337359617' post='4938112']
it's not very often that it makes sense for me to hit a 230 yard shot.[/quote]

No need for a wood from 230. Just take a 5 iron, or choke down on a 4 iron,

Signed,
WRXers
[/quote]

Choke 4 iron??!?!??!

More like choke down lob wedge.

Signed,
Gary Woodland

[quote name='eric_b' timestamp='1337362239' post='4938326']

Signed,
WRXers
[/quote]

Choke 4 iron??!?!??!

More like choke down lob wedge.

Signed,
Gary Woodland
[/quote]
"I've hit flop shots further than that."
- Bubba Watson

Driver, 3w, 3i-LW. 3 wood is for par 5's, second shot, and weird, long par 3's. 3 iron is waaaay more consistent of a club for me, but not as long, obviously. I can't hit hybrids. I also have a 2 iron that I just bought and am playing around with...but I can't figure out which club to take out of my bag for it, I love them all and I don't need anything different really.

[quote name='Jeembo' timestamp='1337362467' post='4938354']

Signed,
WRXers
[/quote]
LOL
[/quote]

LOL +1

I play Driver, 4 wood (16.5*) and then 2 iron, 4-PW and carry 3 wedges (50, 54, 58). Even though the gap between my 4 wood and 2 iron is larger I really don't find myself needing to fill that gap very often and not nearly as often as filling the wedge gap and being able to play different shots around the green with the extra wedge.

[quote name='ilikegolf26' timestamp='1337398525' post='4940920']
I play Driver, 4 wood (16.5*) and then 2 iron, 4-PW and carry 3 wedges (50, 54, 58). Even though the gap between my 4 wood and 2 iron is larger I really don't find myself needing to fill that gap very often and not nearly as often as filling the wedge gap and being able to play different shots around the green with the extra wedge.
[/quote]

Very similar to me. What is your yardage for your 4W & 2I?

I have driver, 5 wood. I was all for replacing the 5 wood for a 4 wood this weekend but after the two shots I hit with it today, I cannot justify kicking the MX-700 from the bag.

Driver - TBD
3 Wood - TBD
5 Wood - Mizuno MX700, PF v2
4-PW - Adams CMB, C-Taper
Wedges - Mizuno T4 52/58, S400
Putter - Odyssey Versa #7, SS 3.0
Ball - TF Gamer

[quote name='scoot' timestamp='1337313752' post='4935924']
[size="4"]Just started playing again after acouple of years off with back problems. Back in the late 90's I gotdown to a +1.8 and my bag consisted of: D, 3W, 1-iron, and 3-SW &LW. Around '06 I bought into the hype that suddenly no one on earthcould hit long irons and “new” wood technology and Hybrids werethe only to go so, I added a 5W then a Hybrid. Scores gradually gotworse and distance gaps were all over the place. [/size]

[size="4"]
[/size]

[size="4"]Over the years I have had a couple ofthese lay-offs with the back and always seem to have a honeymoonperiod of good golf when I return. However, this time I decided to goback to old school, bag the blades driver, a 5W bent to 17ºand 2-SW & LW. Could again be another honeymoon period but, I amhitting it good, my distance gaps are much better and I'm thinking myway around better than I have in years.[/size]

[size="4"]
[/size]

[size="4"]Justwondering if anyone else is using only 2 woods in their bag and haveexperienced the honeymoon after a long layoff.[/size]
[/quote]
I play the same set up as you and it took me a while to find it. I spent ages tinkering with fw's, hybrids and wedges but finally settled on Driver, 4w, 2-PW, 54deg, 60deg by taking a good look at each club and justifying it's selection.

For example: there is no way I'm going to leave the 2iron out because it's the straightest club in the bag and is guaranteed to get 210 yards on fairway. But I also need a club I can hit high and land soft when going for par 5s so the 4wood does the job. I also found that having 4 wedges just made everything more confusing. Kept finding that I was scratching my head when 90 yards out because I had too many options.

I think if more people found a setup they are comfortable with and stick with it (ie no club ho'ing)then they would be getting more consistent and improving results.

Ps good luck with the bad back, I tweaked mine yesterday just by putting the clubs in the car, played 18 after work and now I cant bloody move!

Titleist 905R - 10.5°
Titleist 904f - 17°/22°
Mizuno MP32 - 4-PW
Cleveland 588 Forged 50°/54°/60°
Wilson Staff 8882

[quote name='MattTheTaff' timestamp='1337401343' post='4941110']
[quote name='scoot' timestamp='1337313752' post='4935924']
[size="4"]Just started playing again after acouple of years off with back problems. Back in the late 90's I gotdown to a +1.8 and my bag consisted of: D, 3W, 1-iron, and 3-SW &LW. Around '06 I bought into the hype that suddenly no one on earthcould hit long irons and "new" wood technology and Hybrids werethe only to go so, I added a 5W then a Hybrid. Scores gradually gotworse and distance gaps were all over the place. [/size]

[size="4"]Over the years I have had a couple ofthese lay-offs with the back and always seem to have a honeymoonperiod of good golf when I return. However, this time I decided to goback to old school, bag the blades driver, a 5W bent to 17ºand 2-SW & LW. Could again be another honeymoon period but, I amhitting it good, my distance gaps are much better and I'm thinking myway around better than I have in years.[/size]

[size="4"]Justwondering if anyone else is using only 2 woods in their bag and haveexperienced the honeymoon after a long layoff.[/size]
[/quote]
I play the same set up as you and it took me a while to find it. I spent ages tinkering with fw's, hybrids and wedges but finally settled on Driver, 4w, 2-PW, 54deg, 60deg by taking a good look at each club and justifying it's selection.

For example: there is no way I'm going to leave the 2iron out because it's the straightest club in the bag and is guaranteed to get 210 yards on fairway. But I also need a club I can hit high and land soft when going for par 5s so the 4wood does the job. I also found that having 4 wedges just made everything more confusing. Kept finding that I was scratching my head when 90 yards out because I had too many options.

I think if more people found a setup they are comfortable with and stick with it (ie no club ho'ing)then they would be getting more consistent and improving results.

Ps good luck with the bad back, I tweaked mine yesterday just by putting the clubs in the car, played 18 after work and now I cant bloody move!
[/quote]

I agree with 4 wedges being too many. Good luck with your back as well, been there... many times.

Just 2x woods for me too (Driver / 4wood cranked open a degree) - My J38's only go up to 4iron so I carry 21* & 19* hybrids to fill the gap - At the other end I have 47* 51* & 57* wedges - Working for me, which is the way it should be imho ... Paul

TaylorMade P770 5-PW c/w Shimada Tour Lite Stiff 
Mizuno MP-T22 49* 54* 58* 
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 10.5* Driver c/w MRC Fujikura Ventus Velocore TR 60s
PXG 3 5 7 Woods 
PXG Closer Putter

Also driver and 3W here (along with a 3 hybrid). At 200+ yards, my options become limited. I think it really differs from player to player when you start talking about FWs. It starts to depend not only on your skill level to hit the FWs but also how you approach the game. Generally, I'm a conservative cat and rarely look for a par 5 in two unless I'm really close. I'm also not terribly long off the tee (240-ish) so i generally use less than my 3 hybrid to set up my third anyway. A 5FW would collect dust in my bag.

As for honeymoon, that's why I have several sets of irons. I know it doesn't necessarily suit my HCP (now a 12 and up from a 8-9), but switching out regularly keeps things fresh and keeps me wanting to play and practice (and I like equipment anyway).

Go with what works. The only woods in my bag are a driver and a 3 wood. I also carry a 3 hybrid which I find to be a really solid club for tee shots on short 4s or 2nd shots on par 5s, but it sounds like you probably use the 1 iron for the same sort of thing. I stayed away from hybrids for a long time and carried a 1 or 2 iron as I just couldn't get comfortable over the hybrid. For whatever reason, things change and now it is one my favorite clubs in the bag though.

Much like 40Simguy. I have been experimenting with a 4 wood and 4 wedges. I can hit the 3 off the fairway and I still like my two iron. Playing today. If the 2 still comes through the 4s gone and the 3 wd is back. I'll pull the 2 for 4 wedges, but I may take the 60 out too. Seem to use the SW far more than the LW. My distances are not 'heroic', 245 or so off the tee, but I am very accurate and good with my irons. Tried 5 woods, and hybrids. To high and not as long/accurate as the irons. Maybe I'll just go from 3 wood to 3 iron. In any case there won't be but 2 woods in the bag. If it ain't broke...

I really wish I could hit long irons, I do hit them straighter but I just don't have the clubhead speed anymore to get the appropriate distance and trajectory out of them. I keep trying different hybrids but struggle with them, my solution was getting a 21* 7 wood which for me takes the place of a 2,3 and sometimes 4 iron. 4 irons are great for punching out from under trees though. :rolleyes:

Point is use what works, I wish I had your "problem" and had to play long irons, life on the course would be easier me thinks.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I only have a Driver and 3 wood at the moment. But i really am considering adding a 5wood if i cannot tame this 3 hybrid.

Sim2 Max (9 Deg) w Hzrdous Smoke RDX 6.0 70g
-----------------------------
Sim2 Max 3 wood | Hzrdous Blue RDX 6.0
Sim2 Max 5 wood | Ventus Blue  

Titliest T 200 4 iron AMT Black S300
Titliest T150 5-PW AMT Black S300
TM P790 4-PW Modus 120s
TM MG2 54/58 wedges - Modus 130
SC Newport 2 / SC Phantom X 9.5

[quote name='Ace2424' timestamp='1337459648' post='4942978']
Driver, 3 Wood then 3-PW for me, I HATE hybrids......... Im still trying to figure out if I want to go 2 iron, 53[sup]o[/sup], 59[sup]o [/sup]or 52[sup]o[/sup], 57[sup]o[/sup], 62[sup]o [/sup](my PW is 47[sup]o[/sup]).................. any recommendations?
[/quote]

i hate Hybrids too. If you are ok with the 2I and your PW is 47, I would try a 52 and a 57 with the sole ground so you could lay it open a bit.

[quote name='scoot' timestamp='1337478589' post='4944010']
Driver, 3 Wood then 3-PW for me, I HATE hybrids......... Im still trying to figure out if I want to go 2 iron, 53[sup]o[/sup], 59[sup]o [/sup]or 52[sup]o[/sup], 57[sup]o[/sup], 62[sup]o [/sup](my PW is 47[sup]o[/sup]).................. any recommendations?
[/quote]

i hate Hybrids too. If you are ok with the 2I and your PW is 47, I would try a 52 and a 57 with the sole ground so you could lay it open a bit.
[/quote]

Thanks for the input. If you dont mind me asking, what advantages would the 52/57 have over the 53/59? I like the 52/57 setup because it would give me a true sand wedge but I also love laying the face open for flop shot and I think the 53/59 would be better suited for that........ decisions decisions.........

Edit: And yes, I LOVE the 2I !!!!! I really dont know why people think its so hard to hit..............

[quote name='ilikegolf26' timestamp='1337398525' post='4940920']
[/quote]

this was my setup for a long time, until i couldn't get the 2-iron off the groudn as easily. i went to 3-PW. then i took out the gap wedge and went to a strong 3 (13). now i play 13, 17, 3-PW, 56, 60. it works out ok for me. i might want to take that strong 3 out of the bag soon, though. haven't been getting what i need out of it lately.

[quote name='Ace2424' timestamp='1337480763' post='4944180']
[quote name='scoot' timestamp='1337478589' post='4944010']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for the input. If you dont mind me asking, what advantages would the 52/57 have over the 53/59? I like the 52/57 setup because it would give me a true sand wedge but I also love laying the face open for flop shot and I think the 53/59 would be better suited for that........ decisions decisions.........

Edit: And yes, I LOVE the 2I !!!!! I really dont know why people think its so hard to hit..............
[/quote]

Just my experience / personal preference. To me the 52 would gap with the 47 better and with a relief grind on the 57, you could lay it wide open and still flop it. I agree with you on the 2I.