Editor Review: Mizuno MP-69's

I don't find the 69's hard to hit. Matter of fact I find big paddle GI irons with large soles intimidating! The only time I get penalized on my iron shot is excessively thin shots. And lately I've been digging a bit more so it's not a bad issue.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Colum' timestamp='1344791747' post='5455138']
Whats the difference between blades of today versus blades of 20-30 years ago that makes todays blades play easier???
[/quote]

for example, the new 69s are effectively and essentially cavity back irons; if you look at the way the "Muscle" looks on the long irons, it is basically hollowed out, so there is a lot more weight around the perimeter. this, in some respects undermines the principle behind a muscle back, and in this respect erodes the integrity of what's going on; on the other hand, however, you get a great deal of help with still this astoundingly smoooth feeling that you come to expect from mizzy. additionally, nowadays they engineer this stuff on autocad programs, which allows them to be incredibly precise with the leading edge as well as the sole to improve turf interaction in ways they never could before. back in the day, everyone was a digger because the blades were so sharp. back in the day blades made you FIGHT the floor rather than flow WITH it. this is why the soles of Ping eye-2s were so freakin' wide; they had to overcorrect since they didnt have the computer precision that they do today. finally, because these irons are manufactured with computers they are balances in ways older irons were not, this allows for a larger sweet-spot than you would otherwise expect on a blade. the reason old irons have such a small sweet spot compared to contemporary irons is because of the way they were balanced; they can correct for this now. this is true even in blades like the newest VR Pro and Titleist 710s. To be sure, ultimately the differences aren't THAT substantial. but since we are talking about an instrument dialed in with such incredible precision to begin with, any change can in effect be drastic. the point is, i can miss the mp69s pretty bad and not lose as much distance as i would on a similar strike with, say, fg-17s. the heads on the 69s are bigger than many blades, too, which allows for more weight to be distributed to the perimeter. for many "purists" (which is to say, a-holes) the 69s shouldn't be called a blade. fine. call it whatever you want: it's the best iron i've ever struck.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For anyone considering these.. my best advice is to go try them out and see for yourself.

I've been playing MP-59's for the last year. I wasn't upset with them, but I like trying new things.

In the last several months, I've owned four other sets:

Nike VR Combo, Nike Forged (the original TW's), Callaway Razr X Forged, Mizuno JPX 825 Pro

Out of all of those, the Nike VR Combo felt best to me. I didn't like the Razr X Forged at all.

Then I tried the MP-69. Simply put, they're the best feeling iron I've ever hit. I was only able to practice with the 6 iron, but I hit hundreds of balls with it over 2 days. I had no problem hitting it better than all of the others I mentioned above.

People want to ask "is it forgiving?". Well.. it depends. If you hit it thin or catch it fat.. it isn't going to magically land pin high and stop. You make a bad swing, you get a bad shot. If you can consistently hit the ball in the middle of the face, there's no reason you couldn't play these. If you consistently hit a bit slice or hook, you need to realize that the problem is your swing - not the clubs. I'm not trying to sound all high and mighty.. I'm fighting swing problems myself.

• 4 weeks later...

Just put these in my bag. 4-PW in KBS Tours. Beautiful clubs. Very solid and more forgiving than you would ever imagine. About 5 yards shorter than my last set, but some of that could be the 40 degree weather I'm playing in. Guess I'll figure it out in the spring. Going with these was a great decision though. They feel way better than the mp64s and a bit better than the 712 MBs did in my fitting sessions. I plan to order the 3 iron to replace my hybrid. These are plenty forgiving and have plenty of stopping power.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for some long term reviews. I finally had the courage to demo the 6 iron today at gg. All I gotta say is wow I want one! I don't even care if they are way above my skill level I hit them real good. I'm addicted to the feel.

I don't plan on getting them till maybe spring if I do. I'm getting the itch just thinking about them...haha

[quote name='Ampire2121' timestamp='1358732408' post='6267557']
Looking for some long term reviews. I finally had the courage to demo the 6 iron today at gg. All I gotta say is wow I want one! I don't even care if they are way above my skill level I hit them real good. I'm addicted to the feel.

I don't plan on getting them till maybe spring if I do. I'm getting the itch just thinking about them...haha
[/quote]

Since my initial review, these babies are still in the bag and I have never thought about replacing them, they seem to get better and softer with time...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Everyone,

This happens to be my first post on the forums but I wanted to ask if you guys think this deal is a little too good to be true. I hear a bunch of good things by the seller on Ebay and he has a great seller rating.

these are the MP-69s that I have been looking at.

They are brand new.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361045590977?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks,
Christopher

[quote name='cdodom91' timestamp='1427835365' post='11255561']
Everyone,

This happens to be my first post on the forums but I wanted to ask if you guys think this deal is a little too good to be true. I hear a bunch of good things by the seller on Ebay and he has a great seller rating.

these are the MP-69s that I have been looking at.

They are brand new.
[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/361045590977?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT[/url]

Thanks,
Christopher
[/quote]

I've bought from him before with no issues. Hurry up I may snatch em from you haha

TSR3 8 - Ventus Black 6x
TaylorMade Stealth + 15 - Ventus TR 8x
Titleist T150 3 - Modus 3 120x
Titleist T100 4-PW - Modus 3 120x
SM9 50, 56, 60 - Modus 3 120x
LAB

I actually just bought this same set from this guy. 100% liget! I called mizuno to check the SN. Great seller!

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

I absolutely love these irons! So easy to hit for a blade and feel amazing. Hope you enjoy them!

[quote name='cdodom91' timestamp='1428415403' post='11302033']
Great to know! Mine should be here tomorrow by the end of the day!
[/quote]

Have you got these sticks on the course yet?

I hit the range with them and went through a large bucket! First 4 hits were with my pitching wedge and flushed each one! When you make great contact you know it and when you don't it tells you! For me that's a great thing. I want to feel anything and everything!

I haven't got them on my home course in Utah yet but I'm down in Vegas for the weekend for my birthday and thought what better way to break in new irons then at TPC Las Vegas! Tee time tomorrow at 9:05!

• 4 weeks later...

Very cool to see this thread back and active.
Almost 4 years in play with no thoughts of switching. Have some nice bag chatter and they look like they've been played hard and still look great. At first I was wrapping them with an extra towel so they wouldn't bang against each other but now I almost think blades SHOULD have a worn look to them...

Caddying for my son is the greatest thing in the world.

https://golfsupport.com/shop/search?q=mizuno+putter
Check out this link for Mizuno putters. I have a mp-a303 and had a bettinardi. The 303 feels even better!

• 2 months later...

[quote name='cdodom91' timestamp='1431223494' post='11530078']
I absolutely love my new mizunos! I'm never switching from a forged mizzy! Thinking of trying out a mizuno bettinardi putter! They look sexy! ��
[/quote]That's Great that ya for the 69's and ya like em!!

They were an excellent blade, with the timeless design that is Mizuno-

I hit/played em though I stayed with the 68s.

Having played Mizzy since '86, when I switched from 19 years playin Staffs, I'd say that Mizzy's greatest strength is their consistency-

No gimmicks, no marketing BS, just world class Blades.

Though my last rounds were in '12, due to health issues, I left the game with +2.7, however after all of these years, I know nothing of what Butta or Marshmellows feel like-

I'll leave that to the bois ;)

Also, I found the 87s to be overated and I would rate the 14s, 33s & my 68s as superior to the 87s, and I played two sets of 87's over 6 years. They were nice irons, though I didn't find them to be anything special. They basically were replicas of Ben Hogan's Personal irons(1952)~

Tommy N had played a set of Personals and obviously liked the design, as did Mizzy cuz the design was prevalent in the Mizzy irons through the '90s.

Anyhoo, please drop back in and let us know how the 69s are treating you-

Continued Success Bro :)

Nice review Floyd :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• 1 month later...

[quote name='KPH808' timestamp='1441486045' post='12268856']
Who's still gaming the 69s?
[/quote]

I've been using them for awile and I'm not sure if these is anything better from Mizuno at the time. I had x100 shafts in them but about 6 rounds ago I put in some project X PXI 7.0's. Now I really don't want to let them go! They are IMO more forgiving than the 64's. I've tried the MP 5 and MP 25 from the fitting carts. I really liked the 25's but not enough to give the 69's the boot. 69's are freaking awesome irons!!!

[quote name='jetmech879' timestamp='1441623843' post='12274854']
[quote name='KPH808' timestamp='1441486045' post='12268856']
Who's still gaming the 69s?
[/quote]

I've been using them for awile and I'm not sure if these is anything better from Mizuno at the time. I had x100 shafts in them but about 6 rounds ago I put in some project X PXI 7.0's. Now I really don't want to let them go! They are IMO more forgiving than the 64's. I've tried the MP 5 and MP 25 from the fitting carts. I really liked the 25's but not enough to give the 69's the boot. 69's are freaking awesome irons!!!
[/quote]

What did you not like about the MP 5? I'm thinking of picking up a set of 69s. I'm playing the 4s right now and they are just ok IMO.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

I liked the 5's. I didn't hit but a few balls with them. The 25's where very solid. However, the 69's to me are more of a players cavity descised as a blade. The total package for me. I may consider getting a combo set. Something like 3-5, MP 25 and 6-pw MP 5 in the future. Time will tell. There is a seller on the bay selling brand new MP 69's for a great price. He is a great seller as well.

• 5 months later...

Well the MP 69's are firmly back in the bag. After several rounds with a MP 25/5 combo set I just didn't see the need to leave the 69's in the closet. I'm not sure if its the PXI shafts that I have in them or what but there is no better feeling iron out there for me.

• 1 month later...

Great share! I purchased this one recently, as being a high handicapper I was quite worried about purchasing forged clubs:-D But I should say the irons are really easy to hit, and seem to maintain the same distance, even on miss hits, I'm impressed so far. They are longer than my previous iron set as well, got a great feel to them and look great to boot!