2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

New 2012 Callaway UPRO MX+

Did Callaway Fix Last Years Issues? May 30th Release
Got my eye on this one. As I did last year but we all know about that fiasco. Wound up passing.

Hope they got it right this time. If they did I'll be scoooping one up.

2012 MAY EQUIPMENT NEWS RELEASE

By Pete Pappas (TheGreekGrind)
On twitter @TheGreekGrind

Callaway Announces upro mx+ Golf GPS Device

UPRO+MX+1+THEGREEKGRIND.jpg

Device Features Actual Aerial Imagery for the Most Realistic View of the Hole upro mx+ is Golf-Ready with 25,000 Pre-loaded Courses and No Annual Fees

CARLSBAD, Calif., May 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Callaway Golf Company (NYSE: ELY) today announced that its new upro mx+ golf GPS device will be available in stores starting May 30th. The upro mx+ is the only golf GPS on the market that offers ProMode®, offering golfers actual aerial imagery and video flyovers of each hole for the most realistic view of the course. Golfers will be able to purchase this product at a new product introduction price of $249 with no additional fees. Each device will come with access to free and unlimited ProMode course downloads.

"The upro mx+ device is the result of extensive listening to what golfers want out of a distance measuring device out on the course," said Dr. Alan Hocknell, Senior Vice President, Research & Development, Callaway Golf. "Active listening was followed by a lot of hard work to deliver an easy to use, meaningful experience that will help golfers see more and know more out on the course, and give them the confidence to hit better shots."

A compact, three-ounce device boasting a full-color, 2.2" LCD touch screen, the upro mx+'s updated software also features Anypoint® Technology, which helps golfers strategically plan their upcoming shots. The Anypoint Technology feature shows yardage to any location selected on the hole, and the yardage left from that location to the green. Additionally, a Digital Scorecard allows golfers to track their scores and basic golf stats on the device, including fairways hit, greens in regulation and putts during each round.

In addition to the device's introduction, Callaway has also enhanced features on its uxplore web site, www.callawaygolf.com/uxplore. UPRO users tracking performance on the device's digital scorecard will be able to automatically upload their scores and stats to the uxplore web site to view their historical performance and compare to other golfers in the community. Golfers will also continue to have access to all 25,000 courses in Callaway's online database to help get ready to play at a new course. These web-based features are available to upro mx+ GPS owners and those who register for free on the site and want to input their scores manually.

The Callaway upro mx+ device is ready to use right out of the box, preloaded with 25,000 courses with BasicMode (yardage and hazard data) and GoMode (yardage data plus renderings of the greens and hazards). ProMode courses, which include hi-resolution aerial photography and video flyovers, can be downloaded from the Callaway uxplore site for no additional fee or subscriptions.

For more information on the Callaway upro mx+, please visit www.callawaygolf.com/upromx+ High-resolution product images and videos are available for download on the Callaway Golf Press Center: www.callawaygolf.com/presscenter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7PpMIwuoZE

About Callaway Golf
Through an unwavering commitment to innovation, Callaway Golf Company (NYSE:ELY) creates products and services designed to make every golfer a better golfer. Callaway Golf Company manufactures and sells golf clubs and golf balls, and sells golf apparel, footwear and accessories, under the Callaway Golf® and Odyssey® brands in more than 110 countries worldwide. For more information please visit www.callawaygolf.com or shop.callawaygolf.com

ProMode

UPRO+MX++PRO+MODE+THEGREEKGRIND.png

Features actual aerial photography (not renderings) of the entire hole with precise yardage to hazards and key points selected, providing you with a realistic view of each hole.

In this mode you can pan the entire hole with the swipe of a finger and zoom in and out to see more or less detail. ProMode includes two features, aerial video flyover and AnyPoint technology which provide you with detailed insight that allows you to plan each shot.

Aerial Video Flyover allows you to preview each hole layout and hidden hazards from a unique birds eye perspective using actual aerial imagery.

AnyPoint Technology helps you plan your next shot, showing yardage to any target you select and the yardage left from your target to the green.

GoMode

UPRO+MX++GO+MODE+THEGREEKGRIND.png

Preloaded on the device, GoMode features renderings of the green and nearby hazards.

Renderings of the green and its surrounding area are shown in vivid detail with precise distances to the front, middle, and back of the green along with nearby hazards. You can also utilize our AnyPoint technology to measure the precise distance to any location you select on the green.

BasicMode

UPRO+MX++BASIC+MODE+THEGREEKGRIND.png

Preloaded on the device, BasicMode provides the yardage to the green or hazards on each hole.

View precise yardage information in large font to the front, middle and back of the green. The yardage information to each hazard is shown in order of which hazards are closest to you.

Digital Scorecard

UPRO+MX++DIGITAL+SCORECARD+THEGREEKGRIND.png

Keep track of your score and basic stats like fairways, greens and putts during each round.

Manage your device

UPRO+MX++UXPLORE+1+THEGREEKGRIND.png

Download courses
Preview course layout
Online support

See your game in more detail

UPRO+MX++UXPLORE+2+THEGREEKGRIND.png

Upload and track your scores
View your stats and analyze your game for each round played

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7PpMIwuoZE

©TheGreekGrind
Follow Pete on twitter @TheGreekGrind
Callaway UPRO MX+

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if Callaway has the fire power to knock this one out of the park...When Cally first released their GPS units, the over promised and under delivered. The big selling point was the fly over feature, which only 2 courses in my area had along with other issues.

If this product doesn't impressed people within the first 2 weeks, I mean, like re-invent the PROV1 kinda impress...it will be a bust. (IMO)

Did they get rid of the shot tracking feature? There's no mention of it anywhere. If they did get rid of it, there's no chance I'll upgrade from my original uPro.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

Looks interesting.

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

Don't know about the "May 30th release" as I was in my local Dick's this past weekend and they had one in the show case but the battery wasn't charged so I couldn't turn it on. I purchased one last year but had to return it twice for problems untill they issued the voluntary recall that I took advantage of. I ended up purchasing a Garmin & I'm happy with it. I do wish that Callaway would have gotten it right the first time as I really liked it but hope the 2nd time is the charm for them. Good luck!

As I posted in my other thread this new software works great.

What is unclear to me is if the "mx+"designation merely represents a software upgrade or not. It does not appear to me - so in my opinion - that there are any hardware changes from the upro mx. When I upgraded from v 2.3 to 3.0 it was then that I noticed the new mx+ labels.

FWIW, the new software is even better than the upgrade to 2.3. Looks better, hole transition is quicker and the battery use is a lot better than before.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1337686530' post='4956898']

What is unclear to me is if the "mx+"designation merely represents a software upgrade or not. It does not appear to me - so in my opinion - that there are any hardware changes from the upro mx. When I upgraded from v 2.3 to 3.0 it was then that I noticed the new mx+ labels.

FWIW, the new software is even better than the upgrade to 2.3. Looks better, hole transition is quicker and the battery use is a lot better than before.
[/quote]

I completely agree, the device is 100% better!!!

[quote name='dwboston' timestamp='1337430815' post='4941714']
Did they get rid of the shot tracking feature? There's no mention of it anywhere. If they did get rid of it, there's no chance I'll upgrade from my original uPro.
[/quote]

Callaway told me that[s] the stats module[/s] shot tracking is not in the MX+, is shot tracker part of that? He said [s]stats module[/s] they had a lot of issues with it on the original so they ripped it out of the MX+. May or may not show up in a later update.

Mine is sitting at local UPS depot, supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I won't be there, though, have a tournament :(.

EDIT - correcting

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1337797179' post='4965546']
[/quote]

Callaway told me that the stats module not in the MX+, is shot tracker part of that? He said stats module they had a lot of issues with on the original so they ripped it out of the MX+. May or may not show up in a later update.

Mine is sitting at local UPS depot, supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I won't be there, though, have a tournament :(.
[/quote]

The shot tracker feature was initially in the original uPro (press a button where you hit a shot from, then press it again when you get to the ball to get the distance). It evolved when the stats module was released to allow to record the club you hit the shot with, and it would store your average distance for each club.

That's an interesting comment from the Callaway rep - I never had an issue with the shot tracking feature. If the new one doesn't have even basic distance measuring for a shot, I'm not upgrading. It's amazing how a company can tout an "upgrade" that has less functionality.

[quote name='dwboston' timestamp='1337803502' post='4966100']
[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1337797179' post='4965546']
[/quote]

Callaway told me that the stats module not in the MX+, is shot tracker part of that? He said stats module they had a lot of issues with on the original so they ripped it out of the MX+. May or may not show up in a later update.

[/quote]

The shot tracker feature was initially in the original uPro (press a button where you hit a shot from, then press it again when you get to the ball to get the distance). It evolved when the stats module was released to allow to record the club you hit the shot with, and it would store your average distance for each club.

That's an interesting comment from the Callaway rep - I never had an issue with the shot tracking feature. If the new one doesn't have even basic distance measuring for a shot, I'm not upgrading. It's amazing how a company can tout an "upgrade" that has less functionality.
[/quote]

Hmm I would have though mark ball and shot tracker were two different things, but I could be wrong. I agree with the above poster, if there is no mark ball option then yep it's going right back to Callaway.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1337686530' post='4956898']

[/quote]

Does the new software revision still have the "mark ball" option or whatever they called it...to measure shot distance?

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[/quote]

[s]Not sure about shot tracker, (I thought) he said "stats module" which I never use anyway.
[/s]
EDIT - I'll know for sure tomorrow evening, and will post back unless someone beats me to it...

EDIT 2 - I called them again, and they DID say "shot tracking" has been removed from the MX Plus. Then went on to say, that they did a survey and most people claimed they never used it so they removed it. But, now with the software release people are complaining that it is not there, so the [i][b]*may*[/b][/i] add it back in with an update. But we know how well they do updates...

So if "shot tracking" and "mark ball" are the same, then I am bummed already.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1337805442' post='4966256']

[/quote]

[s]Not sure about shot tracker, (I thought) he said "stats module" which I never use anyway.
[/s]
EDIT - I'll know for sure tomorrow evening, and will post back unless someone beats me to it...

EDIT 2 - I called them again, and they DID say "shot tracking" has been removed from the MX Plus. Then went on to say, that they did a survey and most people claimed they never used it so they removed it. But, now with the software release people are complaining that it is not there, so the [i][b]*may*[/b][/i] add it back in with an update. But we know how well they do updates...

[/quote]

I'll never buy another device on the promise of an upgrade. Callaway has really managed to screw up the uPro franchise.

[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1337805442' post='4966256']

[/quote]

[/s]

[/quote]

Let me get this straight. If I really crush one and if I [or my playing partners] want to know how far it went then I can't measure it on the new mx? How can anyone put out a golf GPS without that option? Even if it is not used regularly on the device, it should still be a part of the software. Even the cheapest devices have that as an option.

I'm glad they arent bringing back shot tracking or any sort of club selection, IIRC the shot distance tracking and club selection were initially going to be intertwined. Anything along the lines of providing a club sugestion invalidates the use of the GPS device even where allowed under local rules. For me playing in tournaments where they are allowed this is a big deal - I cant/wont use a nonconforming device. Others wont care.

In all the years I've owned GPS devices - going back to the first SkyCaddie - I have never once used it to measure a shot distance.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1337866762' post='4969866']
I'm glad they arent bringing back shot tracking or any sort of club selection, IIRC the shot distance tracking and club selection were initially going to be intertwined. Anything along the lines of providing a club sugestion invalidates the use of the GPS device even where allowed under local rules. For me playing in tournaments where they are allowed this is a big deal - I cant/wont use a nonconforming device. Others wont care.

[b]In all the years I've owned GPS devices - going back to the first SkyCaddie - I have never once used it to measure a shot distance.
[/b][/quote]

I'd guess you were in the minority on the bolded point above. One of the primary reasons for me using a GPS device was to figure how far I hit each club.

Callaway's research must have been quite extensive if surveys showed people didn't care about shot tracking, then customers immediately complained when they found out it wasn't included. :rolleyes:

Again, (speculation) one of their unannounced reasons for not bringing it back may be that adding shot tracking (couled with club seleciton advice) no longer makes the unit USGA compliant.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1337876020' post='4970920']
Again, (speculation) one of their unannounced reasons for not bringing it back may be that adding shot tracking (couled with club seleciton advice) no longer makes the unit USGA compliant.
[/quote]

I know Callaway has grand plans to allow shot tracking and upload to the web site so you can see your shots on the course aerial view. You can also then compare typical shot patterns of the user base with your own. These are nice and advanced shot tracking features. I could see that being delayed...if basic mark feature is akso delayed then yes that would be disappointing.

I rarely used that feature, but I never shared any of that with Cally so I wonder who they talked to before making that conclusion and decision. As to how far I hit the ball, I use the GPS for how far the next shot will be. I'd rather they spend time focusing on course updates and other features.

Just wanted to put in from experience and from what ive heard from a callaway rep. First off, dwboston mention that callaway messed up the upro franchise, how can you say this. the original one was flawless, they had trouble with the upro mx when it first came out, but with the new upgrade now, its better than ever before. I give Callaway props for sticking with this product instead of giving up on it.

For all those whom are complaining, Tell me, comparing prices, funtionality, and overall features, what golf gps out in the market today is better? MX+ is small, compact, video fly over, digital score card, no subscription cost, i can go on and on. Even though shot tracking has been removed. I have heard from a rep that works for Callaway specifically with the upro and he said that it will be back in the near future.

I really wanted the last version - but held off due to the train wreck....I think I am over it now - between my Bushnell RF and my GolfLogix GPS, I'm good. I just got sent the Motorola Moto ACTV GPS Golf Watch to demo for free - so I can's see buying yet another device.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='chas521' timestamp='1337890523' post='4972376']
According to Callaway mx support [heard from them today], the new mx+ is being released without shot tracking but will be added in a later update.
[/quote]

Added in a later update....along with the long-awaited voice recognition features of the original uPro no doubt. :lol:

Callaway did screw up the uPro franchise. They prioritized the uPro Go over promised updates and features to the original uPro, which were then delayed significantly, then knowingly released the MX with all of its issues. When a company has to buy back a defective product, they've screwed up.

If/when they release the shot tracking update I'll be happy to take a look at MX+. But I won't be buying another device on the promise of a future update. The MX+ is no real upgrade over the original uPro when the uPro has more features. The touch screen isn't enough.

[color=#222222][size=2]First Post. I have read many things on this site..figured I would join and start posting.

Almost like they are trying to hide there is a fee for ProMode imagery.

Not sure if this is the sites fault selling the devices(Golf Galaxy, GolfSmith, to name a few) or Callaways fault.

I blame Callaway. I would want sites selling my product to be up front with the fees.

ProMode is really the only selling point to this product. Why would you buy this device if you were not going to get ProMode features?

The removal of shot tracking would probably cause me to not buy this device. [/size][/color][size=2]Does this mean it does not even have a basic feature to measure the distance of shots (mark option). The response on their site basically says we are not good enough right now to give you shot tracking features. Garmin, Golf buddy and others have figured it out.....but we cant![/size]
[size="3"][size=2]We found that the shot tracking feature was largely unused by the majority of our golfers, and that those who did use it found the experience to be a bit cumbersome. While this feature has the potential to be very useful, we have decided to remove it and plan to replace it with a redesigned solution in an upcoming software release.[/size]
[/size][color=#222222][size=2]
The Calloway site does mention the fees for ProMode and terms used on GolfSmith of "No annual fees" and "Unlimited ProMode downloads" is not untrue, but deceptive at best. Yes, you can have unlimited downloads for 49.95...

This is what I sent to Callaway

After what happen last year do you really want to hide the fact that there is a fee for pro mode downloads. It seems like you would want to avoid any controversy. Yes, your site has information on the fee, but if I were to purchase online from Golf Galaxy or Golfsmith right now i would be tricked into thinking there would never be a fee by trickery such as "No annual fees or subscriptions" or "Unlimited ProMode course downloads". Articles I have read also make you think there are no additional fees. If the device works, the overall price seems fair when you add in the ProMode fees, but how is the person who ordered the device from Golf Galaxy going to feel when they un-box it and there is no ProMode imagery and they go to the site and discover a fee. After the reviews from last device it would be hard to pull the trigger on this one, hidden fee tactics wont help. Disappointing, I was hoping this would be my next purchase.

I am still interested in this device, but it better have some amazing reviews in the first month and a quick plan for shot tracking or Im going for the Garmin Approach G6. Had a good review here http://www.criticalgolf.com/. Not 100% sure any site is un-baised though, but they seem to provide good data.

Please send in MX+ reviews, looking to purchase in July when I return from Afghanistank!

-cd [/size][/color]

I'm really confused by your post and I'm not sure you understand that we are talking about the new UProMX+. Maybe a little more research was in order before your post or your email? You accuse Callaway of trying to trick you? Honestly if I got that email from you I would probably laugh a bit.
[i]
"[/i][i] The Calloway site does mention the fees for ProMode and terms used on GolfSmith of "No annual fees" and "Unlimited ProMode downloads" is not untrue, but deceptive at best. Yes, you can have unlimited downloads for 49.95..."[/i]

Not correct at all. The ProMode courses are free with the MX+ - there is no longer a fee. It pretty clearly states this in the first post:

[b][u]Each device will come with access to free and unlimited ProMode course downloads[/u][/b]

Not sure what they are trying to hide here. This is mentioned in every review or description of the new advice I have read. Can you please explain a little more what you mean, you seem to be pretty sure they are hiding something from us.

When I got mine from Callaway last week, my account had been upgraded to unlimited.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*