Golfers in Austin, TX

epmonies

2 for 1 deal at Bandit this weekend...

"Now through February 14th, enjoy 2 for 1 golf daily after 12 and rekindle the love of golf with a friend... a spouse... your son or daughter... co-worker… it can be anyone! Please mention this e-mail to receive this special offer"

I'm up for Saturday.. can we make it a foursome? 1pm tee time available.. comes to $25 per head + tax..

I called and reserved for a foursome.. lmk if you want to join.. else will have to call and reduce the # of players.

we have 3 so far.. need one more to complete the 4some.

Damn, wish I was in town for this. I would have definitely joined the group!

Hope you all enjoyed the round and come back again and I'll be able to join you!

I enjoyed it.. will be coming back again even thou it is a 1.5 hr drive.. I realized that I have another $25 round thanks to the first tee booklet

i wish i woulda played pine forest...the drive to and from bandit at 75mi was a killer, especially going home...ugh...

of course, i did play pine f on sunday, lol....actually got on the green on 17 for maybe the 3rd time...

i guess it's just me, but courses like bandit and wolfdancer just arent as much fun as any of the austin muni's or pine f or even colovista...plus i play a lot better on sundays after playing on saturday...lying in bed going over a round in what's left of my head and realizing i start swinging too hard and get in trouble...dumb, i know...

we have 3 so far.. need one more to complete the 4some.

Damn, wish I was in town for this. I would have definitely joined the group!

Hope you all enjoyed the round and come back again and I'll be able to join you!

I enjoyed it.. will be coming back again even thou it is a 1.5 hr drive.. I realized that I have another $25 round thanks to the first tee booklet

Nice!

Tough drive, but hopefully when you decide to play again you let me know and I'll be more than glad to join you

Anyone play kizer, Clay, or lions lately? Which is in best shape you think?

Played Kizer ,Monday, greens were in rough shape, Clays greens are much better

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
Titleist 718 AP2s
Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
Vokey TVD 60*
SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g

Played Shadowglen 2/10 and Bluebonnet today 2/17. Greens decent at both...and fairways rock hard at both. Had a gap wedge second shot into 12 today (Par 5)...and almost drove the green on 18...with no wind. We are in need of rain again.

Another note...I'm signed up for Monte clinic in Phoenix April 2-3, and will probably drive...if anybody is considering and wants to carpool.

Callaway Rogue ST, 10.5, GD Tour AD IZ
Callaway Rogue 4&7 Fairway, GD Tour AD IZ
Srixon U85 4-6, ZX7 7-SW PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX4 60 PX LZ 6.0
Evnroll 5.2 Short Slant
Snell MTB-X Yellow

i THINK i may be playing Clay the last sunday of the month. hopefully.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

Austin Golfers - I'm going to be coming down to Austin from Boston with two friends for four days at the beginning of March. What would be the four best moderately priced courses for mid-handicappers to play? From what I've seen on line and from lurking here, I've been looking at Lago Vista, Kizer, the Bandit (too far away?), Avery Ranch, Clay and Morris Williams as possibilities. We have two constraints. One is that the first day's course will need to be fairly close to the airport, since we get in around 11:00AM (hopefully). The other is that one of us has a strong urge to go to some barbecue joint in Lockhart (hence the Bandit option). Which would you pick to give us the most well-rounded experience of golf in the area with reasonable cost? We'll be staying in what looks to be called the West End area of town, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

if you can make the drive. The Bandit was a really, really nice course when i played sometime last year in New Braunfels.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

clay and kizer are in the same place; kizer being where i would play! i also like mo wms and lions! played bandit last weekend and felt it wasnt worth the drive for me...kizer, mo wms, and lions were where i wished i had played, but that's just me, lol...pine forest in bastrop and lago vista in lago vista are 2 more of the courses i play a lot and like a bunch...

there's so much outstanding bbq around austin that making the drive to lockhart isnt necessary...seems like most everybody makes great bbq around here! one spot that gets overlooked is willie's bbq, across the street from mo wms golf course! many times i grabbed some ribs and brisket for the drive home to bastrop and wound up eating it all before i got there...just make sure they dont sprinkle any seasoning on it...the meat doesnt need it at all...i would definitely hit salt lick bbq. unbelievable bbq that's a bit different from the rest, and the potato salad is my favorite of all time. when you order bbq in texas, ask for the brisket black and moist...lean is too tough for me...

if you're looking for a 4th for any weekend rounds, i'm sure any of us could help guide you around some courses, which would be helpful to any newcomers for sure...

Austin Golfers - I'm going to be coming down to Austin from Boston with two friends for four days at the beginning of March. What would be the four best moderately priced courses for mid-handicappers to play? From what I've seen on line and from lurking here, I've been looking at Lago Vista, Kizer, the Bandit (too far away?), Avery Ranch, Clay and Morris Williams as possibilities. We have two constraints. One is that the first day's course will need to be fairly close to the airport, since we get in around 11:00AM (hopefully). The other is that one of us has a strong urge to go to some barbecue joint in Lockhart (hence the Bandit option). Which would you pick to give us the most well-rounded experience of golf in the area with reasonable cost? We'll be staying in what looks to be called the West End area of town, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

IF you dont want to drive all the way to the Bandit I suggest driving to Smithville and eating BBQ at Zimmerhanzels. They blow all other BBQ places away IMO and then you can play Pine Forest, Colo Vista or my suggestion Wolfdancer. Drive would be shorter and you would be 40 min away max(airport to Smithville) from the airport

Thanks in advance.

If you're looking at the Clay/Kizer complex, I would recommend Clay, better fairways, a bit more challenging (if you like trees) and greens are in better shape. If you like wide open, then play Kizer. Although I've got to say that the complex is in the middle of the hood, so much so, that last Monday after my round, I heard 5 straight gunshots, very close, scared the crap out of me. I hung out on the parking lot for a good 1/2 hour, lol.

MoWillie is really nice and relatively close to the Airport on Manor Road. If you're going south on IH35, there's Plum Creek in Kyle, home course for Texas State and always in good shape. Greens are pretty fast and the layout is challenging, but not overwhelming.

Clay/Kizer and MoWillie are munis and about $37 with cart. Don't really know for sure, since I always walk these course and its $29. Plum Creek is ~$50 with cart (no price break for walking). Avery Ranch is really nice, but on the opposite end of the airport or Central Austin.

If you don't mind driving 15 minutes away from town, there's Falconhead in Lakeway, a bit more pricey, but nice. Lions is a short course, but its in the middle of town, so lots of choices, especially for Tex-Mex food close by (Hula Hut, Chuy's). Enjoy your stay, but don't move here, lol.

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 718 AP2s
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey TVD 60*

Thanks in advance.

What is your budget, that will help with some of the suggestions.

For day 1, a good course near the airport is Wolfdancer ($100) which is a resort course. You also have the Kizer/Clay complex nearby, but those are muni's.. not sure what you are looking to play and in terms of experience. I enjoy all 3 courses..

What is your budget, that will help with some of the suggestions.

For day 1, a good course near the airport is Wolfdancer ($100) which is a resort course. You also have the Kizer/Clay complex nearby, but those are muni's.. not sure what you are looking to play and in terms of experience. I enjoy all 3 courses..

Wolfdancer is a little steep. We'd probably do it but I also heard that it's kind of punishing, which is not what we're into. We're basically muni types who like to play at decent daily fee places as well. I was planning on $60 to $70 a round which is what we've payed on previous trips to the RTJ Trail and to Ocean City (yeah, nothing but the best for us). From the looks of it a lot of the courses are cheaper than that, which is a good thing.

So, just how bad is the area around Kizer? Like, don't leave the rental car with your luggage in it in the lot bad?

Once you're in the complex, you'll be fine. The incident I mentioned is the first time anything like that has happened. I've been going to this course for years and nothing like that ever happened. Sorry, didn't mean to scare you, it's not that bad

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 718 AP2s
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey TVD 60*

I failed to mention Bluebonnet! Dang it!

Yeah, wolfdancer is not where I'd ever play again...sometimes those fancy, high dollar courses are unplayable...

The courses I've listed are fun to play, and I'd play them over riviera, where the pros are this week...played it 15yrs ago and it just wasnt particularly interesting...

Guess I'm a muni type, but that's cuz the munis in austin are pretty amazing layouts...I like to be visually stimulated on a course...