Golfers in Austin, TX

epmonies

and ben hogan said #16 (?) was his favorite par 4...you know, the one at lions?

I'll just agree to disagree, but will say this in regards to your statement above. Did Hogan ever say anything about the other 17 holes? I like Lions as a golf course, I really do, but the City of Austin should not be in charge of its upkeep and its condition is just one reason of its inevitable closure. If a golf course management company owned it and did some renovations to it (both course and facilities), it'd be a fun little course and worth the visit. Unfortunately that would never happen because it just wouldn't draw enough people to justify such changes.

"...the other 17 holes..." now you're just trolling...no thanks...your passive/aggressive stance and comments have become an irritant...please find someone else to troll...

Hey Bill since you brought your inner a-hole out, I'll go ahead and say something I've been wanting to say since you started posting in this thread. This thread was made to update people on courses in Austin, but apparently you thought it was a thread to update Austin golfers of where you played that day and what you shot. Just to let you know, I could care less what you shot today or any other day and don't think anyone else cares either. If you want to tell other WRXers what you shot, there's another thread on that. You have completely cluttered this thread with with nonsense and now we're 30 pages deep, 20 or so pages of your junk responses that have nothing to do with course conditions and only talk about how you played.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

Onion Creek is just one course. It's private last time I checked.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Hey Bill since you brought your inner a-hole out, I'll go ahead and say something I've been wanting to say since you started posting in this thread. This thread was made to update people on courses in Austin, but apparently you thought it was a thread to update Austin golfers of where you played that day and what you shot. Just to let you know, I could care less what you shot today or any other day and don't think anyone else cares either. If you want to tell other WRXers what you shot, there's another thread on that. You have completely cluttered this thread with with nonsense and now we're 30 pages deep, 20 or so pages of your junk responses that have nothing to do with course conditions and only talk about how you played.

you're not going to pull me into a name-calling response...if you don't like what i post, please feel free to ignore me...

the thread says courses, membership and travel...i enjoy reading how people play different courses, and hearing how they played, like when you posted how the tournament went...

in the past, on other sites, i would starting returning fire cuz it's the internet...and i can blow your mind 'til it comes out your behind (not you specifically, but in general, as i have in the past, cuz it's the internet, lol) but i choose not to do that anymore (and, believe me, it ain't easy...i erased my response to you 3 times cuz i'm done with that)

let me just apologize to you, and i hope you stay safe out there. how 'bout that?

I thought Onion Creek has a North and South course, I played there before but never paid too much attention. It's private but they open it up to the public at certain hours.

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
Titleist 718 AP2s
Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
Vokey TVD 60*
SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g

I thought Onion Creek has a North and South course, I played there before but never paid too much attention. It's private but they open it up to the public at certain hours.

I stand corrected, just visited their site and they have an "Original Course" and a "North Course". Didn't know they were semiprivate.

I stand corrected, just visited their site and they have an "Original Course" and a "North Course". Didn't know they were semiprivate.

Actually, I believe they have 27 holes but they only play 18 of those on any given day. The Original course is the original 18 where the Champions Tour started - the other 9 holes are new since that time.

It is actually a private club - but they open it up to the public using sites like GolfNow. Don't know if that is due to needing the money or just letting the public have a chance to play the course where the Champions Tour was started. Maybe a little of both?

It is managed by the same company that manages River Place & Twin Creeks. River Place is often open to the public using the same golf sites. Twin Creeks is never available to the public - so maybe it is finance driven?

Tour Edge Exotics C721 driver, Integra 45g L flex shaft
BombTech 2 HW 16*

BombTech 5 W
TM Sim2 19* hybrid
Maltby KE4 Max 5 - PW, Recoil Dart 65 A flex shaft
Maltby TSW-KRM 50*/54* wedges, Recoil 75 R flex/spinner shaft
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter

I understand Bill always recommending Kizer as his favorite due to his location and apparent budget, but I would never refer someone visiting Austin for the first time to play a City of Austin managed golf course. Those courses are hackers paradise and the quality just isn't there Bill, sorry if that offends you. I played all those courses regularly when I was a financially struggling college kid, but with the exception of a round or two at Lions, I haven't played any of them in nearly 15 years and don't care to either. I've been a Police Officer in Austin for 14 years and have lived in Austin since 1993. I worked 6th St for 4 of my 14 years with APD and have met a ton of visitors to Austin over that time. In conversation with a number of folks here to play golf and take advantage of the Austin nightlife, not once have I ever heard them say they were here to play at Kizer, Clay, Mo WIlly, Lions, Riverside, BlueBonnet, etc. nor have I ever recommended anyone play those courses during their visit. We all know you love Kizer, you've stated that many many times, but referring a Canadian living in California to play Kizer or Lions or any other course I mentioned is like referring Mario Andretti to go to K-1 Speed for a night of fun.

I can see you and Bill have a little Sam and Diane thing going here ;) but I mentioned a while back I may be relocating for work and my questions (and responses from Bill and others) have been in that vain, as an every weekend player - not just as a tourist. Hence asking about walking and having a tangent that is more on the normal golfer's side of things than popping into town for a weekend of golf and drinking.

I've been really spoiled here in Nor Cal with loads of great every-week options, plus being able to get down to Monterey in 90 mins to play there. So while places like Barton Creek and Wolf Dancer (didn't I remember the right one there? Attached to the Omni resort) can make for a nice quarterly treat, it is the others I'd be keener on most weeks.

I appreciate the differing opinions on courses and associated back and forths - as it all helps paint a larger picture - before having a chance to see them in person. If you could keep that side of things and lose the p1ssing contest, that'd be great! :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

If anyone is interested in playing Star Ranch, I have a free green fee voucher that needs to be used by September 27th. It's valid Monday-Thursday after 11am. The cart fee $20 is required. I was going to just throw it away, but wanted to see if anyone is interested. I will mail it to whomever wants it, even you Bill. No strings attached!

I understand Bill always recommending Kizer as his favorite due to his location and apparent budget, but I would never refer someone visiting Austin for the first time to play a City of Austin managed golf course. Those courses are hackers paradise and the quality just isn't there Bill, sorry if that offends you. I played all those courses regularly when I was a financially struggling college kid, but with the exception of a round or two at Lions, I haven't played any of them in nearly 15 years and don't care to either. I've been a Police Officer in Austin for 14 years and have lived in Austin since 1993. I worked 6th St for 4 of my 14 years with APD and have met a ton of visitors to Austin over that time. In conversation with a number of folks here to play golf and take advantage of the Austin nightlife, not once have I ever heard them say they were here to play at Kizer, Clay, Mo WIlly, Lions, Riverside, BlueBonnet, etc. nor have I ever recommended anyone play those courses during their visit. We all know you love Kizer, you've stated that many many times, but referring a Canadian living in California to play Kizer or Lions or any other course I mentioned is like referring Mario Andretti to go to K-1 Speed for a night of fun.

I can see you and Bill have a little Sam and Diane thing going here ;) but I mentioned a while back I may be relocating for work and my questions (and responses from Bill and others) have been in that vain, as an every weekend player - not just as a tourist. Hence asking about walking and having a tangent that is more on the normal golfer's side of things than popping into town for a weekend of golf and drinking.

I've been really spoiled here in Nor Cal with loads of great every-week options, plus being able to get down to Monterey in 90 mins to play there. So while places like Barton Creek and Wolf Dancer (didn't I remember the right one there? Attached to the Omni resort) can make for a nice quarterly treat, it is the others I'd be keener on most weeks.

I appreciate the differing opinions on courses and associated back and forths - as it all helps paint a larger picture - before having a chance to see them in person. If you could keep that side of things and lose the p1ssing contest, that'd be great! :)

Missed the part about relocating. As far as walking, I think any course in the area is walkable as long as you're healthy. You'll find that many of the courses have green fees that include the cart. While I'm sure they allow walking, I have never heard of them discounting or having a different fee for walkers. I can't remember the last time I saw someone walking on the courses I play regularly, which are Avery Ranch, Teravista, Star Ranch and occasionally the Sun City courses (Cowan Creek, White Wing and Legacy Hills). When I do, it's usually the local high school teams out for a practice round at Teravista.

Crystal Falls would probably be the one course that could pose a challenge to walk, especially in the summer months. As far as relocating to Austin for work, are you looking at buying? In a golf course community? Avery Ranch and Teravista both offer golf courses in the community and residents of those neighborhoods get better member rates. There are private courses in some communities as well, but those are obviously pricier communities so it all depends on your budget. When it comes to information on the 512, I can pretty much give it.

If anyone is interested in playing Star Ranch, I have a free green fee voucher that needs to be used by September 27th. It's valid Monday-Thursday after 11am. The cart fee $20 is required. I was going to just throw it away, but wanted to see if anyone is interested. I will mail it to whomever wants it, even you Bill. No strings attached!

lol

we do better as friends! thank you for the offer!

Missed the part about relocating. As far as walking, I think any course in the area is walkable as long as you're healthy. You'll find that many of the courses have green fees that include the cart. While I'm sure they allow walking, I have never heard of them discounting or having a different fee for walkers. I can't remember the last time I saw someone walking on the courses I play regularly, which are Avery Ranch, Teravista, Star Ranch and occasionally the Sun City courses (Cowan Creek, White Wing and Legacy Hills). When I do, it's usually the local high school teams out for a practice round at Teravista.

Crystal Falls would probably be the one course that could pose a challenge to walk, especially in the summer months. As far as relocating to Austin for work, are you looking at buying? In a golf course community? Avery Ranch and Teravista both offer golf courses in the community and residents of those neighborhoods get better member rates. There are private courses in some communities as well, but those are obviously pricier communities so it all depends on your budget. When it comes to information on the 512, I can pretty much give it.

Thanks!

Early doors it'll just be about playing any and all comers and finding some favorites. Good to hear most are manageable walk. Like Tiger, I sometimes have glutes trouble, so the walking keeps things loose, but I can score as well on foot as on cart.

I'm just another software refugee/relocator transferring to help set up an office, so I'll give it two years and see if I go running back to a coastline or if I stay :)

Here I've got two courses I play regularly that are 10mins away, otherwise everything I like that I play regularly-ish is 30min-60min, so I won't be too put off by some early morning weekend drives.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Haha I don't check up on the thread for a week and miss all the excitement? C'mon boys, I started the thread so us Austinites could occasionally meet up to play and talk all things golf. It's obvious that different people have different opinions on the local courses but let's all try to play nicely in the sandbox :)

TH - While Star Ranch is on the other side of the planet for me, I never turn down some free green fees. If you don't find anyone to use them, send them my way good sir!

/ep

Taylormade M3 9.5° Tour AD DI 6S
Taylormade M5 15° PF V2 6F4
Taylormade M3-r 17° PF V2 F4-S
Titleist 913h 21° Diamana S+ Blue 82HY
Titleist 714 AP2 PX 6.0
Titleist SM7 Raw 46°, 54°, 60° PX 5.5
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Haha I don't check up on the thread for a week and miss all the excitement? C'mon boys, I started the thread so us Austinites could occasionally meet up to play and talk all things golf. It's obvious that different people have different opinions on the local courses but let's all try to play nicely in the sandbox :)

TH - While Star Ranch is on the other side of the planet for me, I never turn down some free green fees. If you don't find anyone to use them, send them my way good sir!

/ep

PM me your info. and I'll drop it in the mail this morning.

/ep

Sorry I'm just getting to this - I'll PM you now.

/ep

Taylormade M3 9.5° Tour AD DI 6S
Taylormade M5 15° PF V2 6F4
Taylormade M3-r 17° PF V2 F4-S
Titleist 913h 21° Diamana S+ Blue 82HY
Titleist 714 AP2 PX 6.0
Titleist SM7 Raw 46°, 54°, 60° PX 5.5
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I meant to update yesterday after my round, but didn't get a chance. Teravista sanded, but did not punched their greens yet. They were still rolling pretty good, but they're pretty darn slow right now.

/ep

Sorry I'm just getting to this - I'll PM you now.

/ep

Hopefully you got it by now.

This email was sent to all League Tournament Directors showing the Fall maintenance overseeding of the City courses.

We are approaching that time of year when the summer heat has got to go and fall (hopefully some cooler temperatures) is on the way. A couple of updates for you to be aware of.

1. The courses will be overseeding in the next few weeks. Here is the overseeding plan:

Grey Rock – October 3rd – All tees, driving range tee and the chipping green.

Morris Williams - October 10th and ½ day on the 11th – Tees including: Par 3’s, #1, #10, #13 and the driving range tee. We are not overseeding the greens at Morris Williams.

Lions - October 12th and ½ day on the 13th - Greens and tees on #1, #10 , par 3’s, some other back tees due to heavy traffic during the winter, and the driving range.

Hancock – October 12th and ½ day on the 13th – All tees, greens and fairways.

Roy Kizer – October 17th and ½ day on the 18th - All tees, greens, fairways and the driving range tee.

Jimmy Clay - October 19th and ½ day on the 20th - All tees, #3 fairway, a portion of #4 fairway towards the green and #6 fairway. The fairway areas are being overseeded due to recent flooding and typically are very thin during the winter months. We are not overseeding the greens at Jimmy Clay.

Joe Balander Short Course – Not overseeding.

2. The Roy Kizer putting green was recently renovated and re-opened this past weekend. The Joe Balander short course greens and bunkers were also improved and will be re-opening this coming weekend. Come check out the improvements. Thanks to Chris and the construction team (Martin, Juan, Francisco and Juan O) on another great in-house construction project.

Kevin Gomillion

PGA Division Manager

City of Austin

Parks and Recreation Department Golf Division

Callaway Rogue ST, 10.5, GD Tour AD IZ
Callaway Rogue 4&7 Fairway, GD Tour AD IZ
Srixon U85 4-6, ZX7 7-SW PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX4 60 PX LZ 6.0
Evnroll 5.2 Short Slant
Snell MTB-X Yellow

Thanks for the info.

Does the overseed process leave a bit of a mess for a while? From the Phoenix threads I get the impression the courses get wet and sloppy when they are overseeded - but of course their overseed and Austin's maybe different.

F.T.

Played Star Ranch this morning and their greens were overseeded, but still rolling good. They were doing the tee boxes as we played. Went to Teravista this afternoon and their greens are in great shape, but I'm speculating they too will be seeding them before too long. Didn't even think to ask.

Teravista is punching their fairways today!

Playing a round at The Hills CC (Signature Course) in Lakeway tomorrow morning. Never played there before, what should I expect?