2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

I absolutely did not figure out Hogan's secret about 30 weekends ago

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1338846186' post='5030080']
[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1338824766' post='5027908']
Don't see the connection between extensor action and "deep" hands. Probably depends on HOW you do extensor action. Some just straighten the R elbow and push. Some would pull with the R hand/forearm. Some would both pull and push.

In any case, Hogan is totally flat chested. That's a factor.
[/quote]

Wow...never thought of it that way. thanks.
[/quote]

I know that some TGM trained guys push on the base of the left thumb with the right palm and other TGM guys pull the left thumb in the backswing. Personally, I don't think about doing either (have tried both, I tend to naturally push more than pull) as it's very easy to overdo it, IMO. Pushing I think helps keep the arm swing synched up better than pulling, and helps to keep the arms/hands from getting too far behind you (the antithesis of a lawnmower pull), at least in my experimentation.

[quote name='MizunoJoe' timestamp='1338847882' post='5030250']
The secret was embedded on pg 3 in Little Orphan Annie secret code, which requires an Ovaltine LOA decoder ring.
[/quote]
Thank goodness...here I thought I would have to listen to the entire Sergeant Pepper album backwards again for the secret message. Very tough to do with my iTunes version of the album.

[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1338858343' post='5031170']
I stopped reading at page 3, did OP ever come forward with the "secret"?
[/quote]

He did, very simple really........... it was something along the lines of:

motor skills, manual dexterity, imagination, orientation, administration, enthusiasm, alert attitude of indifference, a strong disciplined response, progression of power, expansion of the circle, the deltoid muscles in your left shoulder, The torsion of you leg, the elasticity of your body, the axis of the spine, your left brain, your right brain, your kinesthetic mind, your body mind...........

[size=4][color=#181818][background=rgb(253, 252, 250)]Oh yeah, and don forget the importance of the right elbow![/background][/color][/size]

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1338306377' post='4994048']
That's it. People won't believe me but I'm going to say it anyway. I figured out Hogan's secret. And it's not a simple move. It's a bunch of stuff. It's like a combination of things that don't make a lot of sense in isolation.

It started with a frustrating 8 hour range session. I was still a flipper and was not happy about it.

I went home and had a couple beers. Started watching Hogan video. Same videos I've watched 1000s of times at this point.

Then a watched the 1930s video of Hogan. The most interesting thing about this video was his pivot largely looked the same but he was a flipper back then. His club face was much less stable through the ball and his body slowed/stalled soon after impact.

Now I got excited because I knew Hogan was already a professional in the 30s and he was still a flipper, which means there must still be hope for me.

Then I started to watch the differences between the pre and post secret swings. Then I started to watch Trevino video too.

And then it hit me. Started making golf swings at 1AM where I have mirrors setup to see face on and DTL. Yes, this must be it. And interestingly, the move goes against my "natural" instinct.

Next morning at the range I realized this was it. Ball flight and video told me. My release looked much much better. My ball flight was very tight. I hit a few "bad" shots where I expected to look up and see my typical power block, but this time, I looked up and was suprised how strait the shot actually was (not perfect, but far from OB like usual).

I don't know if I want to spell out the secret for other people yet. Call me selfish. I've been in the trenches forever at this point and I just don't know if anyone deserves to have it spelled out for them. Mainly because all the info is already out there, but you have to peice it all together. But Trevino definitely had the secret. And if you disagree with that, then trust me, you don't know the secret.
[/quote]

So, pre-'THE'-secret you had the Duck-hooks, which is even nastier than a pull-hook? Are you by chance referring to one of the other 'secrets'?

AC

Cupped or pronated ?

[quote name='Colby327' timestamp='1338323492' post='4995912']
[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1338323127' post='4995874']
I always had this demented thought that Hogans secret had something to do with the male anatomy and hence the reason he, or perhaps this poster, cannot divulge due to the embarrassment factor.

Something to the effect of "ensure that your Johnson is against left thigh at impact" or "release anal aorta sphincter muscle during backswing".

Am I onto something with this? I have watched for all these possible "secrets" when I watch the Trevino video but very tough to make out with him wearing loose fitting pants.
[/quote]

Wow. Just lol'd at work. People are looking at me funny now. Best post of the thread.
[/quote]

OK, I am about to announce the secret, but I have worked very hard on figuring out the secret, so I am not sure if I can share the secret. OK, ok...here's what I have noticed about Hogan pre and post swings and Hogan's overall demeanor. If you notice in all of the 1930's swings, Hogan's face is more ashen white, whereas in his later swings he has more of a jaundiced look.

Now you too know the secret: Hogan was on urine therapy aka urotherapy or urinotherqpy or if you prefer, uropathy. Yes, he drank his own urine and rubbed it into his skin. Not something you want to disclose to the public which is why it remained a secret for so long but gave him special powers on the golf course.

I am one of those who believe Hogan revealed his secret in the Life Magaizne article, however I also believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.

Fact is if you don't have Hogan's lag and release then his secret will do you no good, I will say his overall swing improved from the 1930's till sometime around 1948. Most notably he learned to stay connected and turn the corner without stalling his pivot. The secret just allowed him to also hit it with all he had, the 3 right hands and all..without hooking. For all of those who don't believe me, weaken your grip, rotate your left arm going back and then cup your left wrist, and swing away, I dare you to hook it. The only way to hit it left is to come over the top and hit a dead pull.

The only reason there is a conspiracy theory is because sometime in the '70's or early 80's Golf Digest magazine offered Hogan something like 100K to reveal the secret for an article, Hogan was going to do it, then backed out...my guess is he had nothing more to reveal so being an honest person he didn't do it.

Just my opinoin.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='dlygrisse' timestamp='1338958600' post='5039220']
I am one of those who believe Hogan revealed his secret in the Life Magaizne article, however I also believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.

Fact is if you don't have Hogan's lag and release then his secret will do you no good, I will say his overall swing improved from the 1930's till sometime around 1948. Most notably he learned to stay connected and turn the corner without stalling his pivot. The secret just allowed him to also hit it with all he had, the 3 right hands and all..without hooking. For all of those who don't believe me, weaken your grip, rotate your left arm going back and then cup your left wrist, and swing away, I dare you to hook it. The only way to hit it left is to come over the top and hit a dead pull.

[b]The only reason there is a conspiracy theory is because sometime in the '70's or early 80's Golf Digest magazine offered Hogan something like 100K to reveal the secret for an article, Hogan was going to do it, then backed out...my guess is he had nothing more to reveal so being an honest person he didn't do it.[/b]

Just my opinoin.
[/quote]

Or maybe he didn't want to completely ruin his legacy and destroy the timeless Hogan mystique he'd created, forever and ever, by selling out in such a crass and tacky way.

"Hogan sells secret for $100k after a lifetime of discretion"

great headline.......... if he saw that he really would puke, as Johnny Miller would say.

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1338766715' post='5024424']
[quote name='Tee_Party' timestamp='1338764793' post='5024264']
[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1338475980' post='5004928']
OK I'm uploading a bunch of video on my youtube account (casmdean1) if you guys want to see and I'm going to attach some pictures to this.

I'm also going to spill the beans because I feel like it. Before that, please note that if you do see my swing, I'm not claiming it's Hogan or looks like Hogan, etc. My definition of "the secret" is how to stabilize the clubface through the impact zone. Other people define it differently which is fine. I just looked at his 1930s swings and compared them to 1946 and after and that's what I'm calling his secret because he was a big time flipper then he stopped being a flipper.

Anyway, the main difference I noticed between pre and post secret swings according to this definition are: 1) Hogan got to the early elbow plane ("EEP") post secret, and he didn't pre secret; and 2) Hogan stuck his right elbow to his side post secret, vs. having it more in front of him post secret. IMO AND in my experience, this combination of things stabilizes the clubface FOR ME. No obviously there is more to it then that, but I've been able to hit the ball solid for a long time now and have shot under par plenty of times (with a bush-league shortgame unfortunately but I'm going to work on that now that I understand what I need to do with my swing instead of spending time trying to figure things out).

So here's another thing I thought was interesting about what I consider the secret. Pronation or suppination in the backswing (I don't know which is which) shallows the club and helps with the process of getting on the EEP. Pitchers right elbow as demonstrated in 5L also helps shallow the club and get on the EEP. Pitchers elbow also pins the right elbow to the side assuming your pivot is performed correctly (and you aren't backing out of the shot, covering instead on the way down). One other thing, the whole Jody Vasquez secret with the right knee is actually part of pivoting correctly IMO (I know not everyone agrees with this, but it definitely helps me). And this is the part of the secret that I said goes against your instinct, because you are basically blocking out our right elbow for a large portion of the downswing, which felt REALLY weird for me.

Here is pics of me demonstrating (taken from full speed swings hitting 4 iron):

Actually nevermind that, I can't figure out how to upload pics with this new format (if someone else knows how let me know).

Anyway, Trevino and Hogan do the same thing coming into the ball that I'm talking about. And I went back and looked at some of my swings where I was actually happy with my release and I found I was doing this as well (not as well as either of those studs but I was much closer than when I was coming in and flipping it through the ball).

Again, I'm uploading a bunch of these videos now so you can check them out on my channel. I'm not anywhere close to having this move down and there are definitely other issues I still need to address. BUT I am convinced this move is going to allow me to have the impacts dynamics I've been search for for years at this point. Just need reps lol.

Also, one other thing, I noticed this website after the fact because I stumble on some of the guys videos: [url="http://biokineticgolfswing.blogspot.com/"]http://biokineticgolfswing.blogspot.com/[/url]

I know he was banned from the site because I saw him on the 3 to 9 forum, but IMO he has some pretty good content.

Also, I haven't read all of these threads (obviously) and at this point it's becoming obvious that this stuff has been talked about before. The difference is I actually am buying it this time because it came from me and I have my own experience to prove it to be true. That was my point originally. I'm sure a bunch of dudes are going to be like no this is trash blah blah blah, but IMO they won't know their secret until the find it themselves (instead of theorizing about BS online).

And hopefully this whole thread hasn't wasted too much of anyone's time. I was just pretty excited initially (and still am).
[/quote]
You identified the correct body part with right elbow, but you got the change and purpose wrong.
[/quote]

Mkay...whats correct and why?
[/quote]
I'm not here to give away all the fruits of Jim's labor, so I'll leave you with the following to ponder:

Arms in front, club stuck behind; arms in back, club out in front.

[quote name='Tee_Party' timestamp='1338965931' post='5039490']

I'm not here to give away all the fruits of Jim's labor, so I'll leave you with the following to ponder:

[/quote]

You mean Hardy and OPS? I hate the way this pinning elbows stuff gets explained sometimes; you did a better job of it than Hardy and his article btw. If you literally pin your elbow to your side then your right wrist starts passing the elbow(wipe, flip, oops, etc). If there really is some pinning involved then the spot to pin is def above the elbow unless you have T-Rex arms. I need to make a growling noise at transition to ingrain this secret.

"[color=#000000]One plane: The right arm is in charge[/color][color=#000000]

Understanding how the right arm moves in the downswing is a key to a successful one-plane motion. At the start of your downswing, keep your elbow up and to your side, but let the right forearm drop. This will keep your arms tight to your chest, and from there, you can fire your right hand at the ball, feeling the clubface close for a draw and stay open for a fade. The forearm drop was the heart of Ben Hogan's secret and the key to his becoming the best ball-striker ever.[/color]

[color=#000000]Read More [url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/breaking80_gd0907#ixzz1x0Q3qzo7"]http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/breaking80_gd0907#ixzz1x0Q3qzo7[/url]"[/color]

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1338977237' post='5039658']

[/quote]

You mean Hardy and OPS? I hate the way this pinning elbows stuff gets explained sometimes; you did a better job of it than Hardy and his article btw. If you literally pin your elbow to your side then your right wrist starts passing the elbow(wipe, flip, oops, etc). If there really is some pinning involved then the spot to pin is def above the elbow unless you have T-Rex arms. I need to make a growling noise at transition to ingrain this secret.

"[color=#000000]One plane: The right arm is in charge[/color]

[color=#000000]Understanding how the right arm moves in the downswing is a key to a successful one-plane motion. [b]At the start of your downswing, keep your elbow up and to your side, but let the right forearm drop. This will keep your arms tight to your chest, and from there, you can fire your right hand at the ball, feeling the clubface close for a draw and stay open for a fade. The forearm drop was the heart of Ben Hogan's secret and the key to his becoming the best ball-striker ever.[/b][/color]

[color=#000000]Read More [url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/breaking80_gd0907#ixzz1x0Q3qzo7"]http://www.golfdiges...7#ixzz1x0Q3qzo7[/url]"[/color]
[/quote]

the right elbow drop sure is the key.................. but there are two specific macro motions that allow this to happen (one the result of set-up and the other a small manipulation), and a final macro motion from here that powers the arms through impact.

I have heard the odd person mention each motion in isolation, but no one has yet fully connected the dots...............

Secrets are so fun.

[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1338978687' post='5039684']
the right elbow drop sure is the key.................. but there are two specific macro motions that allow this to happen (one the result of set-up and the other a small manipulation), and a final macro motion from here that powers the arms through impact.

I have heard the odd person mention each motion in isolation, but no one has yet fully connected the dots...............

Secrets are so fun.
[/quote]

Two macro motions. One at setup? Pressing the elbows together as we see hogan do before he takes the club away. Some called it a forward press but theres nothing forward about it.

And a small manipulation? Contradictory to call a [b]Macro Motion[/b] a [b]Small Manipulation[/b]...

odd person...Brad Pitt? or the post secret Tyler Durden?

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1338981902' post='5039778']

Secrets are so fun.
[/quote]

Two macro motions. One at setup? Pressing the elbows together as we see hogan do before he takes the club away. Some called it a forward press but theres nothing forward about it.

And a small manipulation? Contradictory to call a [b]Macro Motion[/b] a [b]Small Manipulation[/b]...

odd person...Brad Pitt? or the post secret Tyler Durden?
[/quote]

Lets ignore my terminology, because I'm useless at it............... actually I even balls'd up my own terminology lol

It should really be Micro elements of the swing (Macro = swinging freely, fast and fluidly to hit golf ball with swinging club)

The setup element you refer to is not what I'm talking about, though proper grip and hinging of the right elbow in the backswing is definitely desirable..............

THE SECRET: It is something crucial at set-up that causes an incredibly important reaction effect in the transition, further facilitated by another small manipulation............ this determines the correct right elbow action and placement from the top.

A further move drives the elbow powerfully and consistently through impact................... Hogan's secret can't be anything else

**(btw Hogan didn't need to facilitate all these changes in 1946 because he already possessed one of these crucial micro elements, by coincidence alone).

[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1338986222' post='5040060']
THE SECRET: It is something crucial at set-up that causes an incredibly important reaction effect in the transition, further facilitated by another small manipulation............ this determines the correct right elbow action and placement from the top.

A further move drives the elbow powerfully and consistently through impact................... Hogan's secret can't be anything else
[/quote]

Proper pivot/rotation of the legs and axis tilt aid in the location of the elbow. Armswing is also a major factor. But automating the transition movement of the elbow...

How? I just dont see how a single setup preset can automate the action with so many factors in play. Especially when you start looking at arm action between wedges and driver..

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1338987778' post='5040166']
[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1338986222' post='5040060']

[/quote]

Proper pivot/rotation of the legs and axis tilt aid in the location of the elbow. Armswing is also a major factor. But automating the transition movement of the elbow...

How? I just dont see how a single setup preset can automate the action with so many factors in play. Especially when you start looking at arm action between wedges and driver..
[/quote]

You're right that there is never a SINGLE thing in Hogan's swing that completely determines an action............

......... that being said, if you can get most of the key set-up elements of Hogan in place then this is THE crucial piece of the [u]set-up[/u] that helps determines his swing signature.

.......... to be clear, it doesn't automate the whole action......... it automates a crucial action in the transition.

p.s. people often forget that Hogan practiced for 8 hours a day to refine things and develop muscle memory, he was not a robot with a robotic swing philosophy.

[/quote]

[color=#000000]Understanding how the right arm moves in the downswing is a key to a successful one-plane motion. [b]At the start of your downswing, keep your elbow up and to your side, but let the right forearm drop. This will keep your arms tight to your chest, and from there, you can fire your right hand at the ball, feeling the clubface close for a draw and stay open for a fade. The forearm drop was the heart of Ben Hogan's secret and the key to his becoming the best ball-striker ever.[/b][/color]

[color=#000000]Read More [url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/breaking80_gd0907#ixzz1x0Q3qzo7"]http://www.golfdiges...7#ixzz1x0Q3qzo7[/url]"[/color]
[/quote]

Secrets are so fun.
[/quote]

So what are these 2 motions that you speak of??

[quote name='Dr.John' timestamp='1338989348' post='5040278']

[/quote]

Secrets are so fun.
[/quote]

So what are these 2 motions that you speak of??
[/quote]

should I first ask for 100k? that's the going rate from Golf Digest apparently XD (I'll be reasonable and ignore inflation).

[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1338990101' post='5040334']
should I first ask for 100k? that's the going rate from Golf Digest apparently XD (I'll be reasonable and ignore inflation).
[/quote]

now youre not making sense. Or cents for that matter.

Lateral backshift, flipping the eyeline, CW twist of the right foot, body forward press before the takeaway? All specific to Hogan and wouldnt really benefit most people

What 100K? this is new. Who are you and how did you come across this information? If youre going to jack the guy's thread then you might as well pony up

[/quote]

Only reason why Hogan looks like "arms in back" is because he's standing closer to the ball than pre-secret. And the reason why Hogan's "club is out in front" is because he fully released it as early as possible after transition.

That Hardy R elbow being kept back on the side move is just a compensation or is a way to remedy or slow down an over-rotating and over-closing clubface and over-uncocking L wrist...look at Matt Kuchar nearing the top...great player and putter though...

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1338990928' post='5040410']
[/quote]

Lateral backshift, flipping the eyeline, CW twist of the right foot, body forward press before the takeaway? All specific to Hogan and wouldnt really benefit most people

What 100K? this is new. [b]Who are you and how did you come across this information? [/b] If youre going to jack the guy's thread then you might as well pony up
[/quote]

My name is Nicebutdim and I'm an internet poster............ the 100k information relates to a post that is several above this one on this very page, so you won't have to look very far.

I don't think that TD will mind tbh............ he's already said that he found something that worked for him and he recognizes its been discussed before and is probably not the secret (his interpretation at least).

You are randomly throwing out Micro elements of the Hogan swing but without knowing how to join the dots you will never find the path to the answer............ a few guys at SITD have perfectly captured the salient information, and I'm adding a little component revealed by someone else that puts a bow on top and ties it all together.

[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1338993141' post='5040620']
[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1338990928' post='5040410']
[/quote]

What 100K? this is new. [b]Who are you and how did you come across this information? [/b] If youre going to jack the guy's thread then you might as well pony up
[/quote]

My name is Nicebutdim and I'm an internet poster............ the 100k information relates to a post that is several above this one on this very page, so you won't have to look very far.

I don't think that TD will mind tbh............ he's already said that he found something that worked for him and he recognizes its been discussed before and is probably not the secret (his interpretation at least).

You are randomly throwing out Micro elements of the Hogan swing but without knowing how to join the dots you will never find the path to the answer............ a few guys at SITD have perfectly captured the salient information, and I'm adding a little component revealed by someone else that puts a bow on top and ties it all together.
[/quote]

Nobody has figured out Hogan...except Mac O'Grady and grumpy eightiron...lol