2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

I hit my 6-year-old R7 better than the new stuff?

msd71

So today I did a comparison of my old R7 with YS-7+ X vs. my newer i15 (stock tfc x) and G15 (rip beta s) drivers. It was the straightest of the three and just as long if not longer. All have the same length shafts, 44.25 - 44.5".

So I am wondering: what is the spin profile of the R7 combo? What would be a modern equivalent if I wanted to update this setup? (I know I could just keep playing the R7, but once the itch to buy develops there is only one way to scratch it!)

Thanks for any help!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='msd71' timestamp='1338920387' post='5035470']
So today I did a comparison of my old R7 with YS-7+ X vs. my newer i15 (stock tfc x) and G15 (rip beta s) drivers. It was the straightest of the three and just as long if not longer. All have the same length shafts, 44.25 - 44.5".

So I am wondering: what is the spin profile of the R7 combo? What would be a modern equivalent if I wanted to update this setup? (I know I could just keep playing the R7, but once the itch to buy develops there is only one way to scratch it!)

Thanks for any help!
[/quote]

The shaft is probably perfect for you and may luckily be installed with its FLO planes in the proper positions. Why not just get the R7 head refinished to update the look? Matte black, matte silver, white, pink etc

You'll be the smartest player in your group!

TaylorMade 2017 M2 10.5* driver
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 3 wood
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 5 wood
TaylorMade M2 2016 3-4-5 hybrids
TaylorMade 7-AW Burner 2010 black irons
Scratch 53* DD and 60*SS wedges
Newport Buttonback putter with custom welded 1.5 neck (or any of another dozen I've built for myself)
2009 Presidents' Cup staff bag with assorted USA theme headcovers
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1158231-torreyrats-2015-bag/"]WITB Link[/url]

Somewhere out there is the one driver in the all the world that you will hit better than any other driver. If you happen to have stumbled across it several years ago, then even if you play golf the rest of your life you'll never find one you hit better. Because it's the one that's best for you.

It isn't like there have been any genuinely breakthrough innovations in the basic operation of a driver in the past few years.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1338921408' post='5035572']
Somewhere out there is the one driver in the all the world that you will hit better than any other driver. If you happen to have stumbled across it several years ago, then even if you play golf the rest of your life you'll never find one you hit better. Because it's the one that's best for you.

It isn't like there have been any genuinely breakthrough innovations in the basic operation of a driver in the past few years.
[/quote]

This may be true but show me the hottest girl in the world and I will show you a guy who's tired of kissing her. ;)

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

I too have found simlar results. If you hit a driver good stick with it and do not fall into the trap of newer is better. I have an old Titleist 905T driver that I have re-shafted twice and none of the drivers I have used in the last 3 years can beat it. It has a great blend of accuracy, forgiveness and consistency. I have tried about 10 drivers over the last 3 years and only a few was I able to get about 5 more yards but nowhere near the accuracy and consistency of the 905T.

I recently picked up my 2nd favorite driver of all time....the R7 460 as a backup. I think the manufacturers make you think you need the newest and greatest but I think there has not been much improvement over the last few years for the average golfer.

I'd say if you have a head you like, keep it in good condition and reshaft if you feel the need to. How many times on this site have you heard people selling off their old equipment only to regret it later.

I just recently retired my r7 425. Last year, I had a G15 for a spell, but the r7 was just a better fit for me. This year though, I was fitted for a 910 D3, and there's no looking back as it is longer and just as straight. But 5 years with the r7 was a pretty good run.

913D3 9.5*
913F 15*
915F 18*
913H 24*
712 AP2 5-PW
Vokey SM6 52*
Vokey SM4 56* 60*
Scotty Cameron Futura (2004)

I have been through 5 drivers so far this year. At one point sold my K15 and RHT before I got my TM SF2 w/ a Kiyoshi in it. Had to pull the R7 425 out of the basement for a few days. Wow that thing is great. I'll never sell it. By the way, sold the SF and have a Fast12 LS showing up tomorrow.

The search for the perfect driver continues.... Life of a HO.

[quote name='littleprov1x' timestamp='1338953907' post='5038850']
I alternate between a 510 TP and a 580xd TP, both of which I hit longer (and more importantly, straighter) that anything I have tried recently.
[/quote]

Man, do I miss my 580 TP with Matrix orange crush.

BTW, I still have the yellow torque wrench with some weights. Pay shipping, it's yours.

Only a hot melted superfast long hosel has felt better and longer then my trusty 425... And she hasn't given up yet either! Still hit it long and straight, just alittle closed in the face.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

When did spin numbers become more important than actual results of the shot? Straightest and just as long if not longer, isn't that the goal what the ball does on the course? You could spend years trying to find a driver that is as long or longer, plus straigter than your current driver and then pull the R7 out and start to repeat the whole process again.

Put some corticosteroids all over your body and get rid of that itch and play the old better than new driver.

I put my R7 with Aldila NV 65x back in the bag last week. I took it out to the range because I wasn't hitting my 910 D3 all that well and wanted to try something different. I had forgot how much I liked this club. Not sure if it will last but I think I still hit this driver better than any driver I have had since.

Nike Covert Tour 9.5* Kuro Kage 60X
Nike Covert Tour 3 FW 15* Kura Kage 70X
Titleist 712U 2i w/ DG X100
Titleist 690.mb 3-PW w/ DG X100
Titleist SM 56* Callaway Forged Raw 60*
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I stumbled upon a Burner TP 07 with Accra XT60 M5, that has let me see parts of the course I have not seen in some time. On a bad day looking at 255-265, good days 280-290 with some lucky ones rolling out to 300+. I have taken the left out of play, as I get a straight ball, or a slight fade, with a mid trajectory that just seems to go.

Twice I have put it up against a R9 460/Matrix Ozik HD6, 9015D/OBAN 6-04, 9064/RIP Alpha, FT-9 iMix/Fubuki 63, and while I like some of the shots I have gotten, nothing is giving me the distance I am getting with the 07 Burner TP.

I would still like to get all five on a launch monitor this year and see if what I am seeing shows up in the numbers.

After a very short experience with a rbz tour/devotion combo I decided white was Definately not for me. Went "old school" and picked up a great condition r7 425 tp and put a diamana kai'li in it. Now I remember why of all the drivers I've owned over the years that one has the best memories. Classic shape, great sound, and just as long as anything out there. This ho is off the kool aid!

This thread really resonates with me. I've been in the driver wilderness for a couple of years now, after giving my 425 TP to my dad. He's absolutely killing it, so I wouldn't dare take it back. But I have been through 6 drivers since I got rid of it, and none of them have been as consistently long and straight as that 425 TP. I don't know if it is the Rombax x-stiff shaft in it that makes it such a good fit, or the unique head-heaviness of the combination (which I have been unable to find in the new drivers I've tried). I just sold my 910D3 to fund a new driver...by I literally have no idea what it is going to be. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone comes up with a modern equivalent of the 425TP/Rombax combo. Suggestions are most welcome.

[quote name='maroonandwhite' timestamp='1339104888' post='5049026']
This thread really resonates with me. I've been in the driver wilderness for a couple of years now, after giving my 425 TP to my dad. He's absolutely killing it, so I wouldn't dare take it back. But I have been through 6 drivers since I got rid of it, and none of them have been as consistently long and straight as that 425 TP. I don't know if it is the Rombax x-stiff shaft in it that makes it such a good fit, or the unique head-heaviness of the combination (which I have been unable to find in the new drivers I've tried). I just sold my 910D3 to fund a new driver...by I literally have no idea what it is going to be. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone comes up with a modern equivalent of the 425TP/Rombax combo. Suggestions are most welcome.
[/quote]

Why not just pick up a used R7 425 TP on eBay? Gotta be pretty cheap! Heads can be refinished fairly cheaply too.

TaylorMade 2017 M2 10.5* driver
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 3 wood
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 5 wood
TaylorMade M2 2016 3-4-5 hybrids
TaylorMade 7-AW Burner 2010 black irons
Scratch 53* DD and 60*SS wedges
Newport Buttonback putter with custom welded 1.5 neck (or any of another dozen I've built for myself)
2009 Presidents' Cup staff bag with assorted USA theme headcovers
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1158231-torreyrats-2015-bag/"]WITB Link[/url]

I had a 'driver revelation' myself recently - I have a spare set of irons at my brothers place in Ireland & wanted to add a driver to the set (used to take my R9 head with me but sold it now) - I picked up an R7 Quad head for peanuts & a Prototype NT shaft for little more - Paid my club guy to glue them up & headed for the range - WOW! this thing performs great - Not quite up there with my D3 / Kiyoshi, but, for a fraction of the price, there ain't much in it ... Paul

TaylorMade P770 5-PW c/w Shimada Tour Lite Stiff 
Mizuno MP-T22 49* 54* 58* 
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 10.5* Driver c/w MRC Fujikura Ventus Velocore TR 60s
PXG 3 5 7 Woods 
PXG Closer Putter

[quote name='3puttbogey2' timestamp='1338953105' post='5038776']
I'm still gaming an R5...
[/quote]

So my inner ho is about to get the best of me...

I hit the r5 ok and I'm comfortable with it since I've been playing it so long. Do you guys think I'm losing anything technology wise with the r5 vs. say a 9064ls or r9?

• 1 month later...

Same here, I took out my old r7 425 tp and swung it couple of times and felt so good. I glued the Ahina in there and took it out to range and thought why am I not using this driver?!? (so what if it's from 2007) It felt so solid, and long, just well balanced throughout the swing. It kicked the vr pro limited out of my bag. I'm hoping TM would make r11x deep tp, 420-430 cc range with 3 or 4 weight ports, all black, wishful thinking?

[color=#000000]Taylormade R9 425tp 10.5* - Diamana Ahina 70x[/color]
[color=#333333]Nike Sasquatch 14* - Fubuki 70x[/color]
[color=#333333]Ping Anser 20* - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 90x[/color]
[color=#666666]Ping i25 - CFS x[/color]
[color=#999999]TM Ztp 53* - KBS
TM Ztp 58* - KBS[/color]
[color=#CCCCCC]SC Newport 2 - 34"[/color]

I hit my S300 shafted K better than anything else if that makes you feel any better :)

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

[quote name='Kadin 25' timestamp='1338922424' post='5035648']
[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1338921408' post='5035572']

[/quote]

This may be true but show me the hottest girl in the world and I will show you a guy who's tired of kissing her. ;)
[/quote]

This is a solid post. well done sir

For 7 years I gamed my Launcher 400, and that was through last summer. It was just as good as other offerings until I found a 460cc version that was just as good - the Rapture V2 (still 3 years old). It's going to be really difficult to take it out of the bag!

The R7 is a really solid driver, but it definitely requires consistent squared shots to get distance. That combo with the TP Speeder 757 was truly epic, and the R5 TP with the Diamana Blue 83 was epic, too.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)