Discovering Titleist

edLmuldoon

So here I am, about 17 years into my golfing career, about 5 of which has been spent on the GolfWRX, finally dipping my toes ever so gently into the Titleist pool. There was never any purposeful avoidance, or an exaggerated hatred, often seen being played out here; but rather from a financial perspective I've never been at the "right place" and consequently at the "right time" to indulge. Well the time most recently came where I was frustrated with my recent string of driver choice, and had settled on the idea of purchasing a new driver at a modest sum. I warmed up at the range and headed over to the Trackman, the idea that the newest clubs were a sham, and I could certainly find a decent and, more importantly, a forgiving driver in the 2011 models. I hit a variety of clubs, and had settled on a G15. The G15 was offering 270-290 in distance, with a steady 5 yards off center ®.

So here I am, greasy cash clutched in one hand, gleaming new club in the other, heading away from the Trackman and towards a new era of driving, where fairways were found rather than lost; the proverbial promise land of golf. And then I notice it, a bit of worn masking tape covering the face, ”DEMO” tattooed on the shaft, a Titleist D2 sat looking at me much like a sad puppy mewing quietly hoping for adoption. In a moment of “What’s the harm?” I picked up the club and without a second thought teed one up. Oh boy. 15* launch, 260 carry, 277 total distance, 0 yards ®. Dear Lord, I thought to myself, what is the world coming to when I hit the ball straight. Well there I am, caught between the ultimate rock and a hard place. Said rock: $400 driver, said hard place: wife. Much like a junkie desperately clinging to falsely created realities, I immediately began building excuses, elaborate arguments to win the discussion about why I was going to drop a car payment on a “ANOTHER STUPID DRIVER?!”. Well needless to explain the gory details, I succeeded in obtaining my Madonna. She sits in my bag right now as we speak a work of art from a company with a storied history.

In all seriousness, I have hit the D2 better than any driver I’ve ever owned. And I’ve owned a few, especially recently. Which has led me to this now, should I buy more Titleist? Should I trade in my trusty TEE CB3 for a 910F? Should I ditch my RBZ 2H for a 910H (not likely)? Even crazier, should I trade my TaylorMade MBs for Titleist AP2s?

So much to consider; including the idea that I may have been converted to a golfer I don’t know. A Titleist freak, a man who whines about the inadequacies of nearly every other company to my fellow WRXers who then inevitably sit in front of their computers just rolling their eyes and saying “Here’s another one.”

Who wants to trade?! Hahaha…..No, seriously.

Honma G1X 9.5*
TaylorMade SLDR S HL *17
Titleist 915h 19*
Mizuno MP-54 4-PW
Ping Tour-S Rustique *52, *56, and 60*
Scotty Cameron - Art of Putting Newport 34"

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='edLmuldoon' timestamp='1339769674' post='5099010']
So much to consider; including the idea that I may have been converted to a golfer I don’t know. A Titleist freak, a man who whines about the inadequacies of nearly every other company to my fellow WRXers who then inevitably sit in front of their computers just rolling their eyes and saying “Here’s another one.”
[/quote]

Not at all. I have no urge to roll my eyes. In fact for some reason I feel a great burst of fraternal affection toward you, my brother. Welcome.

Well, since you put it in such context... Lol. Titleist makes good clubs. Period. While I find TMag's woods are more suitable for my game/swing, I really like the irons made by Titleist. No gimmicks just design efficiency and solid playability. Nuff said! ;-)

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

After 10 years of Taylor Made (longtime subscriber to the "buy it cheap" strategy with TM where you can buy their latest and greatest 6 months later for 50% on ebay) and 1+ year of PING, I find myself really wanting to own a 910D2 and AP1's. Like really, really, really, really wanting to join the Titleist team. But I have to keep reminding myself that it's the indian and not the arrow.

I have also had the epiphany about Titleist clubs this year as well. I was almost a complete Cleveland fan-boy for the first4 years of my golfing experiment. No particular reason, just the clubs worked for me and the price point was manageable. My 20.5* Launcher DST hybrid, had a crack developing in the face after 2 seasons of hard use (my favorite club). I was looking at the mashie and just could not get over the silver finish. (I am not a fan of white either) So, on a whim I picked up a 910H 21* and was fairly impressed with the feel. I decided to order a 910H 21* with a a custom shaft and after the initial sticker shock recovery, recieved a great club. I also fell in love with the 712 AP1 irons, but the price, I felt, was really high for GI irons. Until, I contacted DIscount Dans... So in the span of a couple months, Titleist has gone from just the ball I play to the majority of the clubs in my bag as well.

Since, I have finally broken away from my Cleveland comfort zone, I have also discovered I really like Nike VR Pro Wedges too...

My one complaint of companies (like Titleist) that sell adjustable equipment, why on earth do they only provide the stupid wrench with the driver? Why is it required of me, in my case, after spending close to $300 on a hybrid, that I get to have the privilege of buying the wrench for an extra $20? Is it too much to ask that any club they sell with an adjustment should come with the wrench to adjust it?

So here I am, about 17 years into my golfing career, about 5 of which has been spent on the GolfWRX, finally dipping my toes ever so gently into the Titleist pool. There was never any purposeful avoidance, or an exaggerated hatred, often seen being played out here; but rather from a financial perspective I've never been at the "right place" and consequently at the "right time" to indulge. Well the time most recently came where I was frustrated with my recent string of driver choice, and had settled on the idea of purchasing a new driver at a modest sum. I warmed up at the range and headed over to the Trackman, the idea that the newest clubs were a sham, and I could certainly find a decent and, more importantly, a forgiving driver in the 2011 models. I hit a variety of clubs, and had settled on a G15. The G15 was offering 270-290 in distance, with a steady 5 yards off center ®.

So here I am, greasy cash clutched in one hand, gleaming new club in the other, heading away from the Trackman and towards a new era of driving, where fairways were found rather than lost; the proverbial promise land of golf. And then I notice it, a bit of worn masking tape covering the face, ”DEMO” tattooed on the shaft, a Titleist D2 sat looking at me much like a sad puppy mewing quietly hoping for adoption. In a moment of “What’s the harm?” I picked up the club and without a second thought teed one up. Oh boy. 15* launch, 260 carry, 277 total distance, 0 yards ®. Dear Lord, I thought to myself, what is the world coming to when I hit the ball straight. Well there I am, caught between the ultimate rock and a hard place. Said rock: $400 driver, said hard place: wife. Much like a junkie desperately clinging to falsely created realities, I immediately began building excuses, elaborate arguments to win the discussion about why I was going to drop a car payment on a “ANOTHER STUPID DRIVER?!”. Well needless to explain the gory details, I succeeded in obtaining my Madonna. She sits in my bag right now as we speak a work of art from a company with a storied history.

In all seriousness, I have hit the D2 better than any driver I’ve ever owned. And I’ve owned a few, especially recently. Which has led me to this now, should I buy more Titleist? Should I trade in my trusty TEE CB3 for a 910F? Should I ditch my RBZ 2H for a 910H (not likely)? Even crazier, should I trade my TaylorMade MBs for Titleist AP2s?

Who wants to trade?! Hahaha…..No, seriously.
[/quote]

I've been playing a Ping G15 driver and have been very happy with it until I too tried the Titleist 910 D2. I ordered one and the Ping is for sale. Straightest driver I have ever hit. I am very pleased with the change. - Nevin

I was definitely on the Titleist kick for many years and almost every club in the bag was made by Titleist up until this season. Its not that I think any less of Titleist now. Its just the opposite really. I just dont have the game now that I did when I played everh day. The Titleist clubs that I played were 690mb irons but after breaking my left shoulder last year, I just dont hit the ball well enough to use the blades. I tried a set of AP2's and didnt like them as much as past Titleist clubs. I ended up with TM tour irons even though Ive never been a huge fan of their irons. I was playing off oc a 2.6 when I played Titllsist and practiced every day. Now Im a 7.2 but only play about twice a week. Im also using TM woods right now but not agaisnt change. I have an 8.5 Supertri and an R9 in 9.5. Both currently have f1 Motore shafts but I also have Rip shafts for both clubs and like both depending on how Im playing. I would love to try the newer woods offered by Titleist but just dont have anywhere locally to test different shafts, lofts, etc without buying several and just playing or practicing with them. I do still play with Vokey wedges and a Cameron putter so the scoring clubs are Titleist and I dont see changing wedges any time soon. I am looking at a Bettinardi putter but my Cameron has been in the bag since about 2000. It was built for me through the custom shop so when I get something that works, it tends to stick around. Enjoy your new Titleist clubs and welcome. I hope to get mg game back to a level that I feel comfortable playing blades again. I would love to have a new set built for me. I keep telling myself Im going to sell the 690's buf cant seem to do it. I look at them and realize every round Ive shot in the 60's was with them so they hold a special place. My woods....not so much...I will be trying the new ones when I can but Im satisfied with the TM right now.

I have to agree on the 910D. I don't swing very hard and honestly am an average to below average golfer (certainly below average for a golfwrxer) who's only been playing seriously for a couple of months.

I got fitted with the 910D2, 9.5 loft with the stock mitsubishi shaft (50g, stiff), and have more confidence than ever off the tee. It feels so solid on contact it blows me away. Something about the way it sets up just eliminates mishits almost entireley for me.

Launch monitor numbers were good for me too considering my slowish swing speed (about 90 mph): Ball speed around 133, launch around 14 degrees, and rpms hovering in the mid to high 2000s. Carrying around 240-250 with a fair amount of roll. I really feel like I've found that "magic" combo.

The best part was that Roger Dunn was willing to put one together for me from their pool of "demo" clubs. I found a head that looked honestly brand new, and it priced at $329. A steal, if you ask me.

Up until yesterday, my bag was all Titleist. But after struggling to hit my 910F 17* with it's compact head one too many times, I decided I needed to try something else. Now I'm on the TM bandwagon with the woods. I still have my 910 D3 which I hit well and my AP1's which I just love. I'm also a Scotty fanatic and Vokey player. I still feel Titleist makes some of the best equip, I also know my limitations with some of their stuff.

Titleist TSr3  9* Hzrdus Black 4G 60
Titleist TSr2 16.5* Hzrdus Black 4G 70
Titleist TSr2 21* Hzrdus Black 4G 70
PXG Gen 4 0311 XP 5-GW
PXG Sugar Daddy II 52.10 56.10 and 60.10
Scotty Cameron Concept X 7.2 LTD

Titleist Pro V1

This is just a start, my friend. Until you try a 910D3! I've been on this titleist wagon for a long time and its quite addicting resulting in 907D1, 907D2, 909D2, 909D3, 910D2, 910D3 which are still around the house somewhere. You don't even want to hear about the woods, hybrids, and irons. For what its worth, I never buy brand new. Always wait a bit and buy used from a reputable online source for sometimes 1/3 of the price. Happy Ho'ing my friend.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1339769937' post='5099042']
[/quote]

Not at all. I have no urge to roll my eyes. In fact for some reason I feel a great burst of fraternal affection toward you, my brother. Welcome.
[/quote]

This is awesome.

Honma G1X 9.5*
TaylorMade SLDR S HL *17
Titleist 915h 19*
Mizuno MP-54 4-PW
Ping Tour-S Rustique *52, *56, and 60*
Scotty Cameron - Art of Putting Newport 34"

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1339777165' post='5099974']
"I need a new driver for the children's future!"

And that's how you get that done ;)
[/quote]

Lmbo

Ths is mine... And if you get the greatest driver now you won't have to buy other ones... So instead of 1 or two a year, one you stay with for years... It makes perfect mathematical sense :-) so 400/5 is 80 dollars a year.. Vs 2 to 300 every year...

Thrill Houses comment made me spew coke out of my nose... Loved it

[quote name='Tenngolfer' timestamp='1339782050' post='5100606']

[/quote]

Lmbo

Ths is mine... And if you get the greatest driver now you won't have to buy other ones... So instead of 1 or two a year, one you stay with for years... It makes perfect mathematical sense :-) so 400/5 is 80 dollars a year.. Vs 2 to 300 every year...

[/quote]

I aim to make you guys laugh!

Although I must admit I have never attempted this "keeping a driver" strategy you speak of. I'm intrigued! :)

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1339785824' post='5101026']
[quote name='Tenngolfer' timestamp='1339782050' post='5100606']

[/quote]

Lmbo

[/quote]

I aim to make you guys laugh!

Although I must admit I have never attempted this "keeping a driver" strategy you speak of. I'm intrigued! :)
[/quote]

It works, my wife does the same thing with purses and shoes... Startled and awed her with my "rationale" :-) so to speak..

Great story! :)

Now, I may be the only dissenting voice, but I say don't change your equipment to matching gear...unless you find it works better for you. I've been down that path myself. Just because you love the driver doesn't mean you'll love the fairways, hybrids, or irons. I love the 910D3 and 2, I like the fairways, and dislike the hybrids.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1339769937' post='5099042']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree.. I used to think that Titleist was just... "different". Then I slowly gave in, and started trying their gear. Used to think TM was the cats meow... until I splurged one day while out buying my now wife's engagement ring. Bought the most expensive one time purchase at the time, and decided, she gets something, so do I. Paid full price and tax at a local store after being fit, and boom.

Full Titleist bag, and haven't changed since... Haven't even swapped a club in my bag, and my handicap dropped over 4 strokes.

Great story!

I have been a Mizuno guy for years but have had some Titleist mixed in. But a funny thing happened in the past year, in such increments that I never realized one of my setups gave me a 100% Titleist bag. I realized it and had to laugh because I make a point of playing what works best for me. Well, apparently that is Titleist at the moment. 910D3 driver, 910F 3 wood, 910H 3 hybrid, Vokey wedges (3), SC Laguna putter, AP2 712 and AP1 710 irons. Well wait, I'm still playing a B-Stone ball :-)

Good luck with your gear!

The reason I like Titleist is pretty simple. I have been playing since 1987. I have very conservative tastes in my clubs.
Titleist makes conservative looking, plain vanilla clubs.
One of my playing partners has Vokey Wedges, offset irons (G5's), an offset 5 wood, an open faced 3 wood, and a severly closed faced driver. No freaking way I could happily play a bag like that, but it works for him.
I have tried SGI irons, and always have a 3-4 round honeymoon period before I go right back to my normal ball striking.

My set up right now is:
Cobra X Speed Pro S driver (pretty much the twin of the 909D2)
Titleist 909F2 3 and 5 wood
Titleist 909H 21° hybrid
Titleist 762 4-P
52° and 58° Vokeys
Newport 2/Anser 2/My Day (pretty interchangeably)

I can't see changing anything for a loooong time. If Titleist stopped making clubs, I'd likely jump ship to Bridgestone. No knock on any other OEM, I just like good old vanilla.

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

The 910 line of woods is nothing short of...UNREAL!! All my woods are not only cannons...but freaking dart slingers as well!! Go get yourself a Tour caliber shaft and fine tune the sucker on any 910 model of your choice and see what I'm talking about. I must warn you though...after time you'll start to say to yourself....OMFG!!!....I can't believe I ever hit anything else. 910's give the purest most responsive feel in all woods on the market if you ask me....just make sure you get the weight kit...that's a must.

913D3 - Diamana D+ 72x
910Fd - Motore Sp. VC 8.2x
712CB - KBS Tour S+
SM4 - KBS Tour S
2014 Fastback
ProV1x

[quote name='wkennerson' timestamp='1339770914' post='5099160']
I have also had the epiphany about Titleist clubs this year as well. I was almost a complete Cleveland fan-boy for the first4 years of my golfing experiment. No particular reason, just the clubs worked for me and the price point was manageable. My 20.5* Launcher DST hybrid, had a crack developing in the face after 2 seasons of hard use (my favorite club). I was looking at the mashie and just could not get over the silver finish. (I am not a fan of white either) So, on a whim I picked up a 910H 21* and was fairly impressed with the feel. I decided to order a 910H 21* with a a custom shaft and after the initial sticker shock recovery, recieved a great club. I also fell in love with the 712 AP1 irons, but the price, I felt, was really high for GI irons. Until, I contacted DIscount Dans... So in the span of a couple months, Titleist has gone from just the ball I play to the majority of the clubs in my bag as well.

Since, I have finally broken away from my Cleveland comfort zone, I have also discovered I really like Nike VR Pro Wedges too...

My one complaint of companies (like Titleist) that sell adjustable equipment, why on earth do they only provide the stupid wrench with the driver? Why is it required of me, in my case, after spending close to $300 on a hybrid, that I get to have the privilege of buying the wrench for an extra $20? Is it too much to ask that any club they sell with an adjustment should come with the wrench to adjust it?
[/quote]

Hasn't been a while now for titleist to offer a wrench with their H's and F's?

[quote name='wkennerson' timestamp='1339770914' post='5099160']
[/quote]
Titleist is the only company that does it that way

I'm another TItleist convert. The bag last year had TM driver and 3,5 &7 woods, Ping irons, Vokey's and a Scotty. Sold a Les Paul and with the $$ bought a Stratocaster, AP2's, D3, 910 Fd 15*, and 910H 19* & 24*. The 910 Fd was replaced with a 910F, and I've got a 910H 21* on the way. Yeah, I'm a Titleist fanboy now

I will say this about the 910D3, once I found the right shaft during my fitting: one long, fairway finding beast. On the longer par 4's at the home course, I've gone from hitting 7 iron to a 9 iron for my second shots.

913D3 9.5*
913F 15*
915F 18*
913H 24*
712 AP2 5-PW
Vokey SM6 52*
Vokey SM4 56* 60*
Scotty Cameron Futura (2004)