What have you done on the course thats most embarrassing?

golftide

When I first started playing, 22 years ago, I teed up behind the stone marker, hit a lousy shot, which bounced back from the marker, and hit my right leg, about 4" east of the family jewels. Very careful about where I tee it up, since then.

Being 67, now, I can't swing very fast, but the other day, I was trying to 'get all of it', and swung so hard, I fell flat on my butt. Hurt nothing but my pride.

• Like 1

Twice I've split my pants on the golf course... once about 15 years ago, climbing through a hazard looking for my golf ball- on the 1st hole. ugh. Split them completely open- just some ratty old pants that were worn thin. I tied a jacket around my waist and kept playing. Then maybe a couple of years ago I split a pair of shorts while looking for a competitor's golf ball in a ditch on the 7th hole. It was unpleasant for all involved until my wife met us on the 9th tee with a new pair of shorts for me to change into at the turn.

• Like 1

Repeated something TheMoneyShot said,,,,,, :blush:

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

I've certainly had my share of embarrassing moments, most of which I am glad to say took place when I was younger. Breaking clubs, slamming clubs into the ground, yelling, cursing, ect... A good friend of mine at the time, and this was about ten years ago, who for the sake of this story shall remain nameless, actually s*** himself in the middle of the 16th fairway of the course we were playing though. A course which sady no longer exists here in Orlando. He then proceeded to haul a** into the woods to the left of the fairway with his pants at his ankles. Eventually he came out but had left his boxers in the woods. Needless to say we didn't finish the round.

Funniest damn thing I've ever seen on a golf course. I still talk to his now ex-wife, mainly on facebook, and every once in a while we still get a huge kick out of it!

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1

I was #10 golfer back in high school freshman year. We were competing against a rival school in match play and I was having one of those days where you just can't catch a break. On a certain par 3 I left a 4 footer hanging right over the lip. Disgusted, I took matters into my own hands and proceeded to get down on my knees and blow the ball into the cup.

Little did I know that our assistant coach was watching and I got DQed on the spot. To add to the embarrassment he went and told the head coach and I was made an example of in front of both teams after the tournament had ended.

The only other thing that could come close to that but it wasn't exactly on the course was one day walking up to the club house that same year I saw a tee sticking pointy end up on the ground. So I thought it would be a great idea to stomp on the tee and break it. Short story, long, the tee drove straight thru the sole of my cool new skateboarding shoe and right up into the arch of my foot. OUCH!!! I didn't end up practicing that day.

My freshman year of high school=not my wisest of years.

• 8 years later...
On 6/27/2012 at 2:51 PM, PhilTickelson said:

This one time I was playing with a friend of mine, we will call him Mark, because that's his name. Anyways, we get to the 14th hole and the cart girl starts driving up the path towards us. We decide to Jack Hamm a few and so I take a huge backswing, and then on the downswing let loose a monstrous POOOOOWWWWW! Unfortunately, this caused me to over-release(my bowels) and, thanks to the previous day's lunch buffet at Casa Bonita, a liquid stream of feces shot out of my shorts and hit Mark square in the chest. This propelled him backwards into the cart girls lap. Disgusted by what she just saw, she then vomited straight into Mark's face.

Little did we know that there was a group of golfers on the 13th hole who saw it all go down. After their vomiting ceased, they yelled over at us, "What the he** was that?!"

Mark, somehow still conscious, sat up and did a little half bow and said, "The Aristocats!"

That was the most embarrassing double bogey of my life.

Not at all true, but 100% delightfully creative.

266 yard downhill par 4, about a dozen years ago.  Wide, shallow green that I could only drive on the fly if I smashed it, and there was no wind. Actually, you have to carry it or it will just land in the bank and stop.

Anyway, that day there was about a 25 MPH wind directly in my face. The pin was on the far right side and the twosome ahead was on the green; an older couple. The woman was standing on the front fringe.

Having played this course 6-800 times, I knew that I could NEVER reach it. I would hit 30 yards short in the gully at the closest.

You know where this is going...

I hit my drive and it took off like the wind did not exist. Halfway there I realize that it IS going to make it, and it is headed directly for the woman. 

I scream "Fore" as loudly as I can, but the wind blows my voice back at me and they do not hear me. I scream again, dreading what is about to occur.

The ball lands on the fringe next to her, no more than 3 feet from where she is standing.

Horrified by my assholery, and simultaneously thanking the God I never believed in before that I have not killed her, I gulped and got into my cart immediately to go apologize (my friends had not hit yet).

As I drove up the small hill to the green the husband (with very good reason!), had some very choice words for me. I hung my head, apologized profusely multiple times to both of them, and stood there until he was done yelling.

Tail between my legs, I drove away.

My vow after that experience? I will never (nor have I ever) hit a ball that has ANY chance of getting even within 50 yards of someone. It is easy to do when you are not thinking like the Asshat I was that day. The only price I have to pay on a given hole? That's right, wait another minute or two.

• Like 3

I don't like to think about the number of times I have taken off without strapping my bag to the cart.

<edit> power cart. 🤣

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I remembered my buddy during a college match miss hit his wedge. He smacks his bag with it of course. On the next tee, he swings his drive and sure enough the shafts snaps right after he hits the drive. Did some damage on the previous hole from the wedge incident. Had to play the remainder of the round with his 3 wood but did well enough for us to win the match. Was funny as heck though heckling him the rest of the round. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Swung my driver with one of the worst swings of my life, hit down on the ground so hard it just snapped the head off the shaft right then and there. Will never forget that moment, been topping balls as my miss ever since lol. 

• Haha 1

Callaway Mavrik Driver

Titleist TS2 4w

Titleist TS2 7w

Mizuno MP20 MB 4-W

Vokey SM8 50*

Vokey SM8 55*

Taylormade HiToe 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X5 

In summer of sixth grade, I played my first hole ever of golf. I had been caddying a few weeks, and we got to play on occasional Friday mornings. I was the first one in my family to really play. My clubs: a grab bag of sticks ranging from about 1930 to 1960.

My little brother scored them by - really and truly - trading our last functioning tricycle to the trash man for the golf bag.

Anyway, this first hole was a 410-yard par 4, and the ball was just so non-cooperative as I marched fat-thin-fat-thin toward the green. I finished the hole by sinking a miraculous 40-foot putt, to salvage a 19 (over 20 would have really been embarrassing).

One problem: the "driver" I had was a home-made Medicus prototype, bored out and filled up with lead to build up swing muscles. An adult caddie put it on a swingweight scale, and it was off the charts (more than G-whatever).

I played a couple of rounds before I discovered my driver problem. I've had tempo problems ever since.

• Haha 3

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Two come to mind...  not sure why I want to share them, but why not...  😀

During the first rounds at my current home club, before I joined, I was invited to play by a current member.  I was on the 15th tee box, which was had another tee box in front of us, staggered a bit from ours, and then immediately has a pond jutting out.  The tee markers were these plastic globes...  I hit a shot with my driver that never got more than an inch off the ground, until it nailed the tee marker in front of us, propelling it into the pond and my golf ball went straight up into the air, also landing in the pond...  needless to say, retrieving the tee marker globe from floating in the pond and re-teeing with my group at this course was an embarrassing experience...

fast forward to about 3-4 years ago...  our member/guest tourney...  on the first night, after our rounds are done, we have this horse race where we have 10 teams (20 players) start on a hole, play 9 holes, eliminating a team each hole...  well, we started on hole 3, which is a drivable par 4 with ob left.  I duffed my drive, about 70 yards forward off the tee box in front of all 20 of these guys.  Unfortunately, my partner hit his shot ob.  Not good for our team!  Worse yet...  the guy supervising our group yelled out, “everybody wait on the tee box for Terf to go hit his second shot.”  Thanks for that.........  Well, at least I hit my 3 iron on the green and we got into the chip off to stay alive, moving onto the next hole.  We ended up winning the horse race that year, so the embarrassment of the first shot must have focused me/us and turned it into a memory we will never forget.

I guess embarrassing situations in golf can lead to lasting memories though!

• 4 weeks later...

Missed a 6" putt in a club championship.   Tried to tap it in and pulled the putter head just at impact.  Ball went 3".

Lined up on the wrong side of the tee box.  Not in front of, but beside them.  Multiple times.

Drilled a playing partner in group ahead from 230+ yards with a 3-iron.  Caught it really, really flush, never thought I could get it there.

Hit ball OB -across- adjacent hole.  Multiple times.  Just huge, massive slices.

Trusted something I shouldn't have...

Many, many more.

This is the best thread ever. 

Mine: In my usual muni foursome there is one guy that gets chirpy about slow play. He is always aware of the group in front and if there is an open hole or 2 in front of them and has been known to yell across fairways. Nothing profane or aggressive but more like a "hey! they're 2 open holes in front of you" kind of thing. One time he had already yelled at the group in front and the ranger happened to drive by. My guy stopped him- told him the story and the ranger agreed and said he would hold them at the turn so we could play through....

We get to the turn. The group previously in front of us was now pulled over to the side with the ranger and there were some hard looks. Sharks vs. the Jets kind of feeling....Unfortunately for me- I'm up. Set up. Make my swing and topped it just past the ladies tee. A f ing dribbler.... I heard one of the guys in the other group laughing but just barely over the boiling sound of blood in my ears. The other 3 in my group tee off and I have to hit again no more than 20 yards from the tee box so everyone is still in place. Thank god I was able to muscle a 4 iron out of there but I will never forget that feeling. Ever.

A couple of years ago my friends and I were playing a course where in front of the green on #18 was a ravine that was really deep. My three friends hit over the ravine and onto the green and of course I was a hair short and my ball ended up in the ravine. I could see my ball at the bottom so I decided that I would carefully walk down the ravine and hit my ball out and onto the green. I had a couple of short irons in my hand and when I started walking down at one point I stepped on a rock that gave way and I started rolling down the hill sideways really fast like you see in cartoons as I mean that it was really steep and I couldn't stop. I rolled over a bush and got a few splinters in my hand and when I stopped rolling at the bottom my hat had flown off, my clubs had flown out of my hands. I was wearing shorts so I looked to see if I was bleeding anywhere and luckily I only had a cut on one knee. Fortunately for me I didn't break any bones or hit my head on a rock. I picked up my hat and clubs and I was able to hit my ball onto the green and when I walked up to the green my friends wondered what took me so long and then they saw that I was really dirty and one knee bleeding they knew that I must have been in the ravine.

I played at El Dorado down in Cabo San Lucas many years ago.  I believe I was 15 or 16 at the time.  I was a hot head back then.  I didn't get a change to warm up at all.  I tee the ball up with driver and swing and take a divot.  I got so angry and I started slamming the club into the turf several times.  The marshall saw me, pulled up and chastised me on the spot.  I was extremely embarrassed and and haven't done it since.  It was a valuable life lesson.  Never lose your cool to that extent. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

On one round, I was hustling to get to the pro shop to sign in and get to the first tee as my playing partner was waiting for me.  I pulled up to the tee box and he looked at me laughing.  I had no idea what he was chuckling about until I realized that I forgot to put my bag on the cart.  I wasn't even drinking at that point.

I’ve been really focused on grooving some swing changes over the past several months, and fortunately it has finally started to take the last couple of months. 

However, I played a round about 3 months ago in the middle of this phase where I didn’t so much care what I shot as much as sticking to the process and the changes. On this day, it just wasn’t clicking. I had planned to play by myself, but a twosome rolled up as I was on the first tee. I vaguely knew one of the guys and we decided we would all play together. 

I hit literally the worst shots you could imagine an otherwise decent golfer hitting on the first 3 holes. It was so embarrassing. 2 yard skunks. Hosel rockets. Tops. Chunks. You name it. 

Finally, the guy that knows me says “Are you working on something, because I’m pretty sure I’ve seen you play before and I feel like you shouldn’t be this bad?”  Lol. I just nodded and said “yes I am, and I’m way more focused on staying the course than trying to get it around today”. He says “OK, good luck with that”. 

It was so painfully embarrassing as I played 9 holes with these guys and probably shot 60. 

Edited by LeftDaddy
  • Like 1

Anyone hit the clubhouse from the first tee?  I have!

• Like 1
  • PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 K forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW beryllium copper
  • Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

This one is easy for me to answer. 

When I was a junior, I played an AJGA event in Cali out in Moreno Valley.  

The night before the tourney, I had some Taco Bell. It was the only thing near the hotel so why not - who doesn’t love a little TBell. 

Well, TBell in Moreno Valley wasn’t a good idea. 

I woke up feeling not well and ended up playing anyway.   Turns out, food poisoning was setting in.  

By the time I made the turn it was 90+ degrees and I was feeling ILL.  For those who haven’t played AJGA, it’s pretty frowned upon to WD from an event - will get you clipped from future events.  So, I soldiered on.  

On about 15 I started to feel so sick I couldn’t keep water or Gatorade down.  It was bad.  I would drink as much water as I could and then puke it up by the time I was on 17.  

Now here’s the most embarrassing moment -

I get up on 18 with multiple college coaches watching (I was in HS at the time) and hit my tee shot down the right side of the fairway - go to the left side of the tee box and puke.  Then I go put my club away.  College coach standing there says “ballsiest thing I’ve ever seen on a golf course dude”.    

However, as I’m literally having a hard time walking down the fairway because I’m so weak and sick/sweating profusely/feeling SO sick I proceed to more-less crap my pants.   I’d managed to keep that all together but on 18 I’m literally losing bodily control and the code Brown moment came in - soiled the khaki shorts.  

I kind of knew that happened but at that point I was like “DGAF” and just finished the hole (made par btw).   The club house was up a very steep hill off 18 and I knew I couldn’t walk up it.  My mom was with me and came down to help me up the hill and a few AJGA officials came over and literally carried me - crapped pants and all - up the hill.  

The tournament director was very cool and said he has zero problem writing a letter to the AJGA directors saying I was legitimately exceptionally ill and wasn’t just leaving because of a bad round.  

But hey, after crapping my pants in round one I spent the rest of the day in an ice bath at the hotel, couldn’t eat but played the next two rounds and finished like 9 over.  

But, puking on 18 tee and S’ing your pants (clearly) is in fact a pretty embarrassing finish.  

true story. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Its been a few year back now.  One fine afternoon I took my youngest boy with me to play 18.  He was a lightweight little guy about 9 or 10 years old at the time.  We had guys playing up our a** all day and I was in a constant hurry the entire round trying to respect pace of play for the guys behind me.  

We were playing hole #9 that went back to the clubhouse right beside the driving range that just so happened to be packed full of golfers at the time.  We finished hitting our approaches to the green and climbed back into the cart.  I punched my foot onto the gas pedal and cut the wheel pretty sharply and my son goes flying out of the passenger side of the golf cart landing on his shoulder and immediately starts  crying.  

I quickly scooped him into the golf cart and drove to the green where I proceeded to get him calmed down and assessed the situation.  Luckily he was more scared about what had happened than anything else.  Luckily my attention to my Son never waived so I really don’t know who seen what nor do I really care.  I double parred the next (2) holes....Lol.    

That was an extremely embarrassing father moment.  To make matters worse, shortly thereafter my boy had to write an essay in school.  Low and behold, he vividly recounts the event and writes his essay about being ejected out of the cart while golfing with dear old Dad.  A few months later, I meet his teacher who recounts the story and tells me how much they enjoyed reading the story about Jacob being ejected from the golf cart.  

This game just keeps on giving.  Last year I let the little sucker drive the cart.  He got a little too cocky and must have thought he was driving the Mario Cart.  He threw me out the cart while making a fast sharp turn around.  Luckily I had cat and father like reflexes.  I exited the cart on my feet and kept pushing against the roof of the cart preventing him from rolling it over.  We had a group right behind us that seen the whole thing unfold too. Definitely more scary than embarrassing though.  Boy that was a super close one.  I hope this story has finally came to end.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1