2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

What have you done on the course thats most embarrassing?

golftide

I have an embarrassing one, and an X-rated one.  The stupid/embarrassing one: Threw my gap wedge into a water hazard after hitting a nasty shank.  Would have been MUCH better to just snap it over my knee.  I could have just fixed it instead of being out $125.

The X-rated one: Did the dirty with my ex on a mound just off the 8th green at my old course.  It was getting dark and we were the only ones there.  She made the first move, and who the hell is gonna say no?!  LOL.

• Like 3

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

On 2/12/2021 at 10:25 PM, Ping1313 said:

I was teeing off in front of about 20 people before a big group start on #1 and topped the ball about 10 feet in front of me. 

That’s probably happened to 90% of golfers, I’ve done that, broken clubs, threw them 50-60 yards. The most embarrassing  for me was falling in water in a sand trap, after I tripped over a rake at the 9th hole green 40 yards from the clubhouse porch, where I swear 327 people were drinking.

As a hack I’ve hit some bad shots, but the absolute worst shot that I’ve ever seen, also taught me that no matter where I was on the course, someone could hit you with a ball, a friend who is a good player now, (10 handicap) actually hit a driver at a perfect 90 degrees (he’s a lefty) into the sign that describes the hole and the ball  went right back at the same angle and hit him square in the sack.

To this day I’ve never seen anyone hit a driver perfectly perpendicular to their aim, and hit that hard, that wooden sign was dented, and although it was 14ft from where he hit, that ball didn’t lose much velocity on the return either.   This was no ordinary shank, the ball hit the sign 3ft up from the ground, it wasn’t worm burner. I’ve yet to see a golf blooper video with a shot like that. 

• Haha 1

My nephew wanted to come for a walk along with me about a decade ago. He was 12 and showing a loose interest in golf, so I let him 'caddy' for me for a quick nine. 

I was playing very average - maybe 3 over after 7 - when we came to the 8th which is a downhill par 4 over water. I put my tee shot in the ideal spot for a 9 iron over the lake to the green. 

I hit my approach a little fat and it went in the water. Nevermind, I said, it happens. Decided I wanted to repay the shot. Repeat result. 

By this point I'm in full Tin Cup mode... Until I put my third attempt in the lake too. 

As I gave up and walked to take a closer drop me nephew just asked me if I was supposed to aim for the lake. 🤣

Edited by TheDeanAbides
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

About 15 years ago I was playing in a tournament with my best friend. I chunked my third shot out of a bunker on a par 5. Furious, seeing red and not aware at all of my surroundings, I wheeled around and threw my club as hard as I could, about head high.  

As the club left my hands, I realized to my absolute horror that the twosome we were playing with was driving toward the green and my club may hit them.  Luckily, I missed them, by about 15 feet, but boy did I feel like an absolute Assh0l#. I was so embarrassed with my infantile action.

I apologized profusely to my friend and the other golfers and promised my friend I would never throw another club.

I have kept my promise.

On 3/21/2021 at 11:43 PM, The Blackfish said:

That’s probably happened to 90% of golfers, I’ve done that, broken clubs, threw them 50-60 yards. The most embarrassing  for me was falling in water in a sand trap, after I tripped over a rake at the 9th hole green 40 yards from the clubhouse porch, where I swear 327 people were drinking.

As a hack I’ve hit some bad shots, but the absolute worst shot that I’ve ever seen, also taught me that no matter where I was on the course, someone could hit you with a ball, a friend who is a good player now, (10 handicap) actually hit a driver at a perfect 90 degrees (he’s a lefty) into the sign that describes the hole and the ball  went right back at the same angle and hit him square in the sack.

To this day I’ve never seen anyone hit a driver perfectly perpendicular to their aim, and hit that hard, that wooden sign was dented, and although it was 14ft from where he hit, that ball didn’t lose much velocity on the return either.   This was no ordinary shank, the ball hit the sign 3ft up from the ground, it wasn’t worm burner. I’ve yet to see a golf blooper video with a shot like that. 

Now that’s something I would have paid money to see! 

In my first golf match in high school as a freshman I managed to hit my tee shot backwards, by skulling a 5 wood into the women’s tee marker and watching it ricochet back over my head. Glad to know it could’ve been worse!

Was playing a par 4 dogleg left, was fighting some left issues from closing the face... first tee shot hit it OB into the woods. As I’m teeing up the 2nd one the cart girl parks maybe 10 feet from where I just hit it. Repeat the same thing goes very close to the cart hits a tree and bounced out of the woods into the rough. Needless to say I tipped very well on the beer haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe I never posted when this thread first came out, lol. Mine aren't as amusing as most but they are mine for whatever that's worth...

Playing in a scramble probably around 2010. Been taking lessons for a while and my swing was serviceable. It's a shotgun start and we started on the back. So by the time we got to #2, a number of holes had been played. So no excuses for not being warmed up etc. I'm the D player in the group and always tee off first, the privilege of being the worst golfer on the team. #2 is nothing special, straight par 4 that goes uphill. The cart path is left of the tee box and that's where a bench, ball washer, and trashcan are. I tee it up and swing away with my driver. The ball goes 45+ degrees left and hits the trash can on the other side of the cart path, less than 10 feet away and sends the ball flying backwards at us. No one was hit but what the heck...

Worse one was probably back before 2008. I hadn't started lessons yet and had picked up the game a few years earlier. I was terrible. Playing 9 in the evening after work with some buddies. I slice me tee shot into an area between two holes. I'm just trying to get back into my fairway. There a small cinder block shed with a metal door to my right 20 feet away. I think a buddy may have made a comment about the building but i can recall for sure. Not in my line at all though. I swing and send the ball on a low line drive right into that metal door.... The guys I was playing with thought it was quite funny and I heard about it for awhile. I find it funny too now but man that sucked at the time. It's one thing to be bad at golf, know it, and still love playing but hitting a shed that's well right of your line and that close? 

This one is for @betarhoalphadelta league night and #15 is a par 3 with a pond carry. I hit a low worm burner. The ball hits the water and skips like a stone right into the rear end of a goose swimming near the far shore... It made a fuss in the water but kept swimming along. I didn't make it across and the guys had a good laugh and no water fowl were harmed.

• Haha 2

I was still new at the game and I was trying to work out a slice on the course.  No matter what I did, I kept slicing into the trees (it was a long day).  Finally in a fit of disgusting rage, I sent one ball so far right and right I tomahawked my driver probably 20 yards, almost into an adjacent fairway.  My playing partners were stunned into silence for a bit.  It was not my proudest moment... 

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Just bought a new ping driver and on my first tee shot after contact i realized the head was no longer attached to the shaft. Luckily it missed all the people on the practice putting green. 

Group lets me play through and are sitting in the cart directly behind me and I somehow hit my tee shot through my legs into their cart and break one of there beer bottles. I then proceed to re-tee and drive the green. 

In a fit of rage I slammed my hybrid off of my golf bag reputedly only to get to the green to grab my putter and the only thing that came out of the bag was the head. I actually broke 3 clubs during that incident. 

Edited by Dannyboy44
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Missed a short putt and angrily swiped at the ball with my putter and gouged the green by mistake. I was very embarrassed...

stealth 2 plus, 10.5 Titleist 6x tr blue

Cobra 4 iron 
G425 5 and 7 woods red ventus 90x

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

PXG 0311xp 5-gw, 0211 G,SW,LW  Wilson ci11 w/ ctaper 130x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and I am buying clubs for my fantasy bag).

10 hours ago, Bronzed aussie said:

On  a corporate day , teeing up on a par 3 and I aimed for the wrong green ,,,,oh and I still didn’t hit it 😩

LOL. I played with a guy once. He's new to the course. 

Par 4. He hit the adjacent green with his tee shot. I told him it is the wrong green. Then, he proceeded to hit this towering shot over some tall trees to the correct green. Hit 2 greens in one hole. 

A couple of weeks ago my wife and I were playing together.  Our approach shots were both short of the green so after we chipped onto the green we jumped into the cart to drive to the back of the green.  While I was driving to the next hole, my wife asked me if we were going to actually putt out on the last hole that we just played.  I had to turn the cart around and drive back so that we could finish.  Lucky for me no one was around so I did not have to explain that I forgot to putt on the last green. 

• Haha 3

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

My house is on the course and I was going to join a couple of guys on the fourth hole to play a couple. So I when walk out there with no shoes, a couple irons and a tall whisky and yell out to who I was positive was the guys I was joining. Problem was my eyesight sucks and these guys had no idea who I was. I think they were getting ready to call the cops.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, rsiehr said:

My house is on the course and I was going to join a couple of guys on the fourth hole to play a couple. So I when walk out there with no shoes, a couple irons and a tall whisky and yell out to who I was positive was the guys I was joining. Problem was my eyesight sucks and these guys had no idea who I was. I think they were getting ready to call the cops.

Dude if you would've walked into my group we would've welcomed you with open arms 😂

• Like 1

Pro shop attendee/Starter/Cart Girl: "Have a good round"

Me: "thanks you too" 

I do this more than I should and a I die a little inside each time.  

• Haha 3

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Two come to mind and it was on the same day:

Company event and I roll in early to warm up. A couple local police blow by me. I walk into the club house to check in and offer my usual smart response " who died?" Well someone older person died on hole 7 taking a pre dawn walk. Usually that joke works.

So the outing begins and my group is assign 16A so we got a crowd watching on a simple par 3 elevated a bit, dead short left and a 4 lane road to the right. I also miss left this hole for some reason, so I adjust my aim and grip and hosel one onto the road square on the door of a minivan.