Ping Anser Driver - up-close/handheld photos shot @ True South Classic

[quote name='LBattaglia93' timestamp='1342524911' post='5291058']
[quote name='BRIDGESTONE1' timestamp='1342522854' post='5290982']
I happen to think this is the best shaft adapter design that has ever been produced. It's sleek and not even noticable.
[/quote]

Agree 100%
[/quote]

It is funny though reading the responses. People complain saying the hosel is too big with Titleist 910. People complain saying the hosel is too small with the Anser. People complained when Titleist gave us 5 shafts because 3 were MFT Diamana including 'ahina. PING give us a real 'ahina and their shaft selection is weak.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the color. I'll try it when it comes out. The matte black will match my tricked out matte black honda accord with matte black wheels and matte black baby seat.

Gangsta!!

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

[quote name='richard t' timestamp='1342531826' post='5291582']
Here's a question and I'll accept my ignorance. If you buy a driver, say a G20, as I did. You get the right loft, lie and shaft. Fittet buy an expert pro/fitter. Then you get it and it works, I mean it really works. then why do you need an adjustable driver?
Not being sarcastic, or a jerk. I'm missing something..
[/quote]

You don't. Others may however.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (-)
(fw tbd)
PING i25 22°, 26°
Callaway XHP 6-AW
PING Glide Forged 54°, 58°
PING TR B60, 35"
Srixon Z-Star Yellow

Here's a question and I'll accept my ignorance. If you buy a driver, say a G20, as I did. You get the right loft, lie and shaft. Fittet buy an expert pro/fitter. Then you get it and it works, I mean it really works. then why do you need an adjustable driver?
[/quote]

With adjustable the OEM could cut down on the number of production heads they need to make, store, ship, etc by at least half. It also helps with cost with shaft selection as well........ That and now the end user can get fitted and walk out the door with a product vs waiting weeks for Ping to shaft the driver to your spec (or days if your shop can do it).

[quote name='Demonts' timestamp='1342532607' post='5291650']
Love the matte black finish but still not a fan of the "crescent" alignement on the topline.. would love to have it clean.. nothing at all.. Otherwise, very nice club..if you're a fan of PING drivers then this it ..they've kept the same face profile, bulge etc as per previous lines. A winner in my books :)
[/quote]
+1 on the crescent. IMO it ruins the look and the stealthiness

[quote name='Hifade' timestamp='1342485411' post='5288794']
I'm not sure why 1/2* is not enough. It will allow the 8.5* head to go from 8* to 9* and if you need more loft, you can go with the 9.5* head and have it go from 9* up to 10* and so on. The key is buying the right head to start with.
[/quote]

Good point.

G400 9* Motore Speeder 7.2 TS
G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
iBlade 3-9 Nippon Modus 3 105x
Glide 2.0 STEALTH 46*, 52* 58*
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

This driver is, as I understand, not being put in to production to replace the G20 or the I20, it will most likely be some sort of 'trial club' from pings side to see whats what, and introduce something adjustable to those who crave it.
Having the ability to change shafts at a whim is great.

Regarding pings shaft selection, I think their stock shafts are among the better out there, and generally fits alot of people quite well.

When it comes to aftermarket shafts Ping offer a lot of choices, maybe not as many as Titleist, but enough to satisfy most.

As far as the .5 degree adjustability, maybe they could have done more, but im sure Ping is doing like many of the others did to begin with, start simple and develop from that.
I think it is good that ping is starting out simple, and finds their own way in the market for adjustable clubs.

Just my humble opinion.

Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5 Fujikura PRO 62
TM SLRD 3 WOOD
Callaway APEX #3 Hybrid
PING I200 KBS Tour 4-UW
SM6 56 (@55), SM6 60

[quote name='mkay' timestamp='1342553965' post='5294118']
This driver is, as I understand, not being put in to production to replace the G20 or the I20, it will most likely be some sort of 'trial club' from pings side to see whats what, and introduce something adjustable to those who crave it.
Having the ability to change shafts at a whim is great.

Regarding pings shaft selection, I think their stock shafts are among the better out there, and generally fits alot of people quite well.

When it comes to aftermarket shafts Ping offer a lot of choices, maybe not as many as Titleist, but enough to satisfy most.

As far as the .5 degree adjustability, maybe they could have done more, but im sure Ping is doing like many of the others did to begin with, start simple and develop from that.
I think it is good that ping is starting out simple, and finds their own way in the market for adjustable clubs.

Just my humble opinion.
[/quote]I actually get the minimal adjustments from Ping, they have always been the "fitting" company and I'm sure they do not want to alter that business model so I'm guessing these adjustments will be considered minor modifications AFTER the driver has been properly fitted. Personally I admire that...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

[/quote]

One reason is that there are tolerances in shafts, clubheads, etc. Basically the one that you hit so well at the demo that's marked 10.5 degrees might actually be 11.0. And the one you receive might actually be 10.0. This is not an unusual variation for mass market (pros have everything digitally measured and marked). The shaft you demoed may flex a bit more than the one you get. Next thing you know you've got over a degree difference from one club to another. Adjustability can help to fine tune some of that variation away.

If the adjustability meant that I could change the shaft to something 44" or 44.25 and simply tweak the swingweight to where I wanted it, I'd be a buyer of one of these to go in the bag with the i20s..and, if I can get adapters. Otherwise, the SuperDeep will be living in the new white Hoofer bag.

Taylormade r11s 9 Penley Stealth 70x 44.5" D-3 ------> Taylormade 16 M1 8.5 GD AD TP6x 44.0" D3 [s]PX Hzrdus Black 75 6.0 44.5" D-3[/s]
Nickent 3DX Pro 14 MRC Diamana WB 83s
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18 Grafalloy CNote ProtoX
Mizuno MP62 DG x-100 Sensicore D-4 3-pw ---------> Ping i200 DG120 S3 D-3 +1/4" Red 4-U.
Vokey SM6 56-14/60-04M DG x-100 Sensicore 1xss D-5 ------------> Vokey SM6 56/10 60/4M DG 120 S300 35" D-5
Scotty Golo

I think it looks great but 1/2* is virtually meaningless. Cmon Taylormade has 2* closed to 2* open. 75 yards of variance from one extreme to the other. Unless you're Lee Westwood or Hunter Mahan 7 yards of adjustable ball flight patters is not really usable for most.

Ping G425 Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X
Ping G410 17.5  Tour 75
Ping G410 20.5 Tour 75

Ping G410 23.5 Tour 75
Ping G425 5-GW KBS Tour 120 S
Ping Glide 3.0 56

Ping Glide 3.0 60

Ping Anser Putter

[quote name='BlkNGld' timestamp='1342560197' post='5294874']
[/quote]

One reason is that there are tolerances in shafts, clubheads, etc. Basically the one that you hit so well at the demo that's marked 10.5 degrees might actually be 11.0. And the one you receive might actually be 10.0. This is not an unusual variation for mass market (pros have everything digitally measured and marked). The shaft you demoed may flex a bit more than the one you get. Next thing you know you've got over a degree difference from one club to another. Adjustability can help to fine tune some of that variation away.
[/quote]

If it were just a half degree. My 10* FT-9 was measured at 11*. I tried a friend's i20 10.5 and it looked and played like it was 13*.

Titleist 915D2 9.5*
Tour Edge Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3 Wood
Adams Super LS 19* Hybrid
Ping s55 4-PW
Ping Glide Wedges 50* SS, 54* SS, 60* TS
Rife IMO Putter

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1342484032' post='5288636']
[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1342483960' post='5288630']
Meh.
[/quote]

Agreed!
[/quote]

yep

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

The whole adjustable driver thing is confusing.

I thought the idea wass to change face angle to promote desired ball flight, not loft. I know changing one changes the other but given that we have always been able to buy different lofts I thought adjustable drivers were about opening and closing the face angle

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16
Srixon Z H45 19 Hybrid
Srixon Z U45 23 Utility
Srixon Z 765/965 5 - PW
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50 & 54
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi Toe 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
TaylorMade TP5

[quote name='SALUKI LEFTY' timestamp='1342516748' post='5290874']
I'd rather have the new 913 D3. [b]PING is always weak on shaft selection[/b] and can see this club not doing much for me in the tinkering dept.

I20 would be the PiNG driver I'd buy if I went to Ping.
[/quote]

I actually have found quite the contrary. Their WRX department is able to get most available shafts. If they do not have it in-house, then you just have to wait a few extra days for them to bring it in. Ask and they shall deliver. Not to mention their stock shafts are some of the best OEM shafts out there, IMO.

[u][b]Driver[/b][/u]: PING G400 MAX 10.5 degree, Project X Evenflow Black 6.0
[u][b]3 wood[/b][/u]: PING G410 SF Tec 16 degree Project X Evenflow Black 6.0
[b][u]Hybrids:[/u] [/b]PING G410 19 degree Tensei CK Blue Pro 80-Stiff 
[u][b]Irons[/b][/u]: PING i210 4-UW, Project X LZ 6.0
[u][b]Wedges[/b][/u]: PING Glide 3.0, 54SS / 58ES DGS300
[u][b]Putter[/b][/u]: Axis 1 Joey.

I actually think it looks pretty great and if it is a combo of a G20 and i20 performance wise that would be the icing on the cake!

I noticed Louis was playing one of these in his open practice rounds

Mayfield Sand Ridge CC
Sim Max 9  Accra Tour Z RPG 462 M5+
TI M2 9.5 AD VR 6X

Sim Ti Devotion 05 75
GAPR LO 2iron AD-DI 95X

MP20 HMB 3 iron AD-Di 95X / 4 iron PX LZ 6.0

MP20 MMC 5-PW PX LZ 6.0
SM7 Raw 50F  / 54 F / 60 Low Bounce K 
Bettinardi BB0 

[quote name='xabia' timestamp='1342630849' post='5300268']
I actually think it looks pretty great and if it is a combo of a G20 and i20 performance wise that would be the icing on the cake!

I noticed Louis was playing one of these in his open practice rounds
[/quote]

Photo of Louis w/ the Anser from golf.com [url="http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-lee-westwood-among-five-players-who-can-win-british-open"]http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-lee-westwood-among-five-players-who-can-win-british-open[/url]

I think the hosel looks really good! I think it's the best looking one on the market. Worrying about all of the adjustments and changing lofts etc is over rated to me. It can be fun to tinker with changing shafts if that's what you like to do, and having the option is cool. But I have had three different i20 drivers this year and they all hit so vastly different that I'm not sure how much being able to adjust matters. The same shaft in the three heads played like night and day different (707D in X flex). One head felt lighter than the swing weight and one felt like it was twice the swing weight. I am not bagging on PING, because I am if anything a total PING fanboy, but my point is that I did my due diligence and tried to fit for the i20 driver and ended up with something that felt completely different than what I was fit for. Yes you can have a club digitally lofted etc, but with manufacturing tolerances being what I have experienced this year, and with how different my game feels from day to day, I think worrying about .5 adjustment compared to 1.5 etc is a little ridiculous. I play to a +2 to +3 most of the year and I have done it for long periods of time with borrowed clubs that were several flexes off from what I have been fit for. I think all of the talk about it is an enjoyable time waster, but for the average player that does not break 90 on a regular basis it doesn't really benefit them. It leads to confusion and doubt and changes the focus from the skills and technique of the game to equipment. The manufacturers are the ones benefiting most.

[quote name='sTmGolfer' timestamp='1342593787' post='5297874']
[quote name='SALUKI LEFTY' timestamp='1342516748' post='5290874']
I'd rather have the new 913 D3. [b]PING is always weak on shaft selection[/b] and can see this club not doing much for me in the tinkering dept.

I20 would be the PiNG driver I'd buy if I went to Ping.
[/quote]

I actually have found quite the contrary. Their WRX department is able to get most available shafts. If they do not have it in-house, then you just have to wait a few extra days for them to bring it in. Ask and they shall deliver. Not to mention their stock shafts are some of the best OEM shafts out there, IMO.
[/quote]
yeah and they have the stones to put their own name on it unlike other companies having "made for" stuff that is misleading and plays differently than aftermarket counterparts