2024 Cognizant Classic WITB Pics ×

Adams Idea Pro

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone compared the Adams Idea Pro to Ping Rapture hybrids?

I am returning to the game after a long layoff and right now would consider myslef a mid/high handicapper, swing speed of about 108. I have heard good things about both clubs, and both are available with VS Proto shaft.

Any help or opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Just bought the 16 degree 1i to replace my 4wood. This club is so easy to hit, incredibly long and straight. Actually hitting it about 10 to 15 yards longer than my Mizuno 16.5 Four wood w/dg s300 steel shaft. Finally got some hybrids that Im very happy with, definately anti left unless I come over the top LOL.

Tad

Ping Rapture V2 10.5*/ Harrison Saga 70grms
TEE Trilogy 15*/ GD Tour AD
TEE Trilogy 18*/GD Tour AD
Adams Idea Pro 20* VS Proto
Srixon I701 Tour 4-Pw, Project X
Titleist Spin Milled 50*
Fourteen MT28 v5 56*
Taylormade Original itsy bitsy spider 33/370grms

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to test 20* Idea Pro to replace my 3 iron, but found out that the pro shop only had 23* as a demo.

I needed a club that I can hit 200 yd. with.

To make the long story short, I walked out with the 23* loft.

They actually have a driving range right next door, so I was actually seeing the distance, not being told by a computer monitor.

This club is definitely longer than its claiming replacement iron......well, at least for me.

Since everybody's swing is different, here's how far I hit with my clubs (hope this helps):

10* Driver: 270~280

5 Wood: 230

24* Hybrid: 200

7 Iron: 160

PW: 120

Putter: 1 ft...... ha ha. i wish...

Just wondering if any of You have changed or experimented with different sole weights?

Thanks,

Tad

Titleist Spin Milled 50*
Fourteen MT28 v5 56*

Just wondering if any of You have changed or experimented with different sole weights?

Thanks,

Tad

Just got home from 18, and now that the first cut of rough, and the FW's, are lush, I changed out the 2 Gram in the base for a 4Gram, and it helped, all around. I've added a 20* to go with my first iPro 23* and these clubs are the real thing. I play with some younger guys who really hit the ball, and these hybrids sure help this old guy :drinks: Great hybrids!!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking into getting an Idea Pro 3h with the stock Aldila VS to replace a 2 iron but I play my irons at 1" over standard. There wasn't anything listed on the Adams web site specifications for getting a club with a longer than normal shaft. I'm curious if anyone out there has any info about adjusting the shaft length and lie angle and if this might affect the properties of the club that most seem to find so desireable with this one. I'm thinking about putting my stock steel shaft in it but am afraid I'd be missing out on a shaft that makes this club perform as well as it does. Also, since I'm getting a 3h to replace a 2i, should I have the shaft adjusted to my standard 2 or 3i length? Thanks for any input.

• 3 weeks later...

i hit this club great in golf galaxy and so i bought the 4i, well i took it out on the golf course and i cant get it up in the air at all, when struck perfect it may get as high as my head, i think the shaft is bad for me, i just ordered a grafalloy pl blue to put in it because i love the head design and i know those prolaunches get the ball up , i normally dont need something to get the ball up like the PL but this one me thinks needs it, lol if that shaft balloons it on me what else would u guys recommend?

im thinking next try the v2 hybrid, i normally swing driver about 105 and stepping on it 110 115 max , i usually hit a high slight draw

btw i hit 6.0 flighted rifles in my irons and hit them with a great trajectory

thanks

madi05

i hit this club great in golf galaxy and so i bought the 4i, well i took it out on the golf course and i cant get it up in the air at all, when struck perfect it may get as high as my head, i think the shaft is bad for me, i just ordered a grafalloy pl blue to put in it because i love the head design and i know those prolaunches get the ball up , i normally dont need something to get the ball up like the PL but this one me thinks needs it, lol if that shaft balloons it on me what else would u guys recommend?

im thinking next try the v2 hybrid, i normally swing driver about 105 and stepping on it 110 115 max , i usually hit a high slight draw

btw i hit 6.0 flighted rifles in my irons and hit them with a great trajectory

thanks

madi05

The hybrids in my set were my biggest worry as I did not try them during my fitting. during range sessions I had the same problem you did, low screamers that were woefully short distance-wise. I considered reshafting but said I would wait longer. For the first few rounds after I got the set I kept them out of the bag, using the A2OS with PL Blue that I already had. Finally one day at the driving range, I just relaxed with them and *pop* that was it. Suddenly I was hitting them just like I should. I think my concerns about the shaft were causing me to grip too tight, be tense, and just hit at the ball, rather than my usual easy swing. I'd give it a bit more time before a reshaft.

well for me i think it was the shaft, i love the proto shaft in the sumo driver but i still like my burner more, lol

ok i installed the Graffaloy PL Blue hybrid shaft stiff in this last week , first session with it was much better but i still wasnt woed by it , lol then i decided to not swing smooth with it like i was trying to do, so i hit it like i would my 7 iron and boy did it come to life , i tried this also with the proto and no dice for me , lol but i can tell u today , i hit two greens for second shots on par 5's in the 200 range and had two 15 footers and one was a bit less for eagles, no didnt sink them but hey i had the oppurtunity, lol i had 3 birdies today on 3 of rhte 4 par fives which is a first for me in 3 years of membership, so im tickled, lol but my new driver /shaft combo contributed there as well, meaning the drive put me in the range to hit the #4 hybrid and both times it was dead on baby

now should i get me a 20* or 18* next ? i want me a 220 club , it seems stepped on the #4 gives me right at 200 maybe 205 but normal probably 190 to 200 is when i use it

thanks for your help

madi05

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!!! This club is amazing. I bought the 2 iron with the proto aldila shaft. I went from almost pulling an A-God every time I hit my old hybrid to beeing able to work the ball either way and hitting it right at target almost every time. If you're looking for a hybrid with workability and forgiveness, you have got to try this club.

• 3 weeks later...

for some reason the shaft was wrong for me and i love this shaft in a driver , but it seemed really flat trajectory for me, but the head was what i like , so i threw me a prolaunch in there and so far i like it much better, i do have the banzai hybrid shaft to try next, i am currently waiting on a #20 to get delivered and im going to put the banzai shaft in it and see if i like the banzai or the pro launch shaft the best, both are supposed to produce a higher trajectory in the hybrids , which is what i want , not ballooning but high and land soft ,will let u know when the club arrives and i test it out

im still wondering maybe did i get a bad proto by your shaft , so i will be able to tell when i get the #3

madi05

I have the 1 & 3 and I love 'em. I was looking for a 16* club to fill the gap between 13* fairway and the 20* and ran across the 1 iron. I am surprised how well I can hit it.

For the question of lengthing , you can extend it with a shaft extension no problem.

TM M1 , Matrix White Tie
Tour Edge Exotics EX8 14*
TEE EX8 16.5*, Rogue 60
Callaway Steelhead XR 3-AW, Recoil 760
Cal. Mack Daddy 2 54* ,Recoil 95
Cal. MD PM 58*, Recoil 95
Rife Bellevue, SNSR Red 104
Super Stroke S-tech grips
Wilson Duo-U

Still playing mine after a few months. Playing the 18,20 and 23. They are the only ones that have been anti left that I have ever hit . 80 gram Aldila shaft is perfect in weight. Tried the 16 and was easy to hit but had the stiff "by you "shaft and just too stiff for me, regular would have been perfect. Interesting enough the 18 I have is in regular and plays stiffer to flex, but in the 20 (with 8 gram sole weight) and 23 (with 10 gram sole weight) both are stiff and are perfectly flexed for my swing. If the 4 wasnt so easy to hit out of the rough I would probably pull it in favor of my 3 iron which it replaces.

All in all great hybrids,

Tad

Titleist Spin Milled 50*
Fourteen MT28 v5 56*

I guess I'll be the lone dissenter, but just on QC grounds. I recently reshafted a set for a guy, and found the 3h and 4h to be identical in loft - both were 21.5° measured in both an M300 and in a Mitchell. the 3h was 239gm which is OK but the 4h was 256 which is ridiculous, especially given that the 5i was 253. Neither head showed any signs of having been bent, and both had 6gm weights. Ballflight was fine, but what's the sense of having two hybrids with the same loft?

2017 M2/Matrix Ozik F6M2
Cally XHP 15°/Altus or 3Deep/Striper H2
Cobra F8 4-5/F7M2
Cally XHP23/Altus hb or Cally X-Prototype 24°/Program 95
6-GW Cobra Forged One Length on flighted Matrix Program 95 OR MP-H4 ON PROGRAM F15
Scratch D/D wedges
Bettinardi QB3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I hit an Idea Pro 2h (18*) with the stock NVS stiff shaft at a demo day today, and I was very impressed. I have hit a ton of different hybrids, and have yet to find something that I could hit consistently, but I think I have found the one I've been looking for. I expect that I would need an X-stiff, but I loved the low trajectory and consistency of the ballflight that I was getting from this club.

I still want to try the new Boxer and maybe a Nickent, but the Idea Pro will be hard to knock out of the top spot on my wish list.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

• 2 weeks later...

I reshafted my Idea Pro 18° this winter with a UST V2 100-S.

The stock shaft was good but the additional weight along with the better shaft load for my swing have now made this club irreplaceable. When my driver and 3 wood were shaky, the Idea Pro shined. I normally hit a slight fade but since the re-shaft...it's going dead straight or with a slight draw.

Do yourself a favor and get one of these! I'm so impressed by the combo, money being no object, I would not hesitate to get 20° & 23° mated to V2 100-S and drop my 3 and 4 iron!

Callaway GBB Epic 10.5* - HZRDUS 5.5

Callaway GBB Epic 15* - HZRDUS 6.0

Adams Idea Pro 18* - Proto 80-S
Adams Idea A7 22* - Axivcore 85 S

Nike Pro Combo OS: 5-PW - Rifle 5.5

TaylorMade MG Hi-Toe 52* & 58* Big Foot - HI-REV 2.0
Yes! Callie

Vice Golf Tour

• 1 month later...

Played my 18* 2 Hybrid yesterday on the course for the first time. Loved this club. Very solid out of the rough or from the fairway. Wind was howling at 30 mph and the ball kept its line and although flight was fairly high the ball carried well. Very pleased with the performance. Does anyone play this club with a steel shaft? What is their experience with that? Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought the 20 degree (3i) to replace my 2i. I have tried just about every hybrid on the market (my poor wallet) without finding much success. The challenge I had with all other hybrids was consistency. I tried the Mizuno CLK FliHi, Titleist 585, Callaway FT, and a slew of others but wasn't happy with any of them. A friend of mine had me try his Idea Pro, and I loved it so much I bought one the same day. I find that all hybrids tend to hit it farther than their iron counterparts. Every other club in my bag is an X-Stiff (Taylor Made R7 TP Rombax, Callaway 3W Graphite Design YS-6, 3i - PW DG X100, etc.), but I could only find a stiff in this club and it's just fine. I tend to hit this club ~235 yards. 0.3 Handicapper. Couldn't be happier with it!

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up 20* and 23* with stock Aldila By You shafts in stiff flex. Swapped out the weights from 7gr to 12gr in both of them.

What can I say other than they work as advertised. I can work them either way- prefer to hit a draw with these for max run out off the tee and hit a knockdown-ish fade from everywhere else.

At first I had problems hitting the 20*- once the weight was changed, it tranformed the club. The 23* was fine with the 7gr, but I figured I'd keep them closer together in feel. I'd say they are about half to full club longer than the iron they are supposed to replace- the 23* carries similar to my 3i (21*) and the 20* is 15 yards longer in carry than my 3i.

My 5i which is the longest iron I carry has the stock Callaway 25* loft spec, but is an 1" over. The 23* is pretty much the same length and carries about 12-15 yards farther.

I was considering adding an 18* as the gap filler between the 20* and driver, but I don't think it will be long enough to fill the mid point . . . will probably go with a 16* A3 Boxer.

• 2 weeks later...

these are nice clubs they are the first hybrids that have had me thinking of replacing my hogan cft hybrids (i love that thing) i may end up getting one that is 15-16 degrees loft and replace my 3 wood with it. they are very nice, distance wise i still hit my hogan 19 farther then the pro gold 18 but only by a yard or so very neglagable. i really like the way they look and set up. I hit one with the adila DVS shaft 50gram X flex it was great.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Hi

it seems from feedback here that the hybrid appears to be a 1 club length increase from its corresponding iron. That said - would those who have used this club agree with the following assessment.

- I hit my 27* 5 iron about 170-175. I have lost some length trying to slow down my swing to improve accuracy and it has worked

- I would like to remove 4 iron (24*) from bag - I am just to inconsistent. Hit 4 180-185.

- It seems that the Adams Pro hybrid I should get is the 26* 5i, which from the feedback here I should estimate to travel about 180-185

Does this sound correct? I am having a hard time finding a place to actually take the club out to a range

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

it seems from feedback here that the hybrid appears to be a 1 club length increase from its corresponding iron. That said - would those who have used this club agree with the following assessment.

- I hit my 27* 5 iron about 170-175. I have lost some length trying to slow down my swing to improve accuracy and it has worked

- I would like to remove 4 iron (24*) from bag - I am just to inconsistent. Hit 4 180-185.

- It seems that the Adams Pro hybrid I should get is the 26* 5i, which from the feedback here I should estimate to travel about 180-185

Does this sound correct? I am having a hard time finding a place to actually take the club out to a range

i would agree that you need a weaker lofted hybrid to equal a stronger lofted iron, but if you are trying to gain accuracy dont slow down your swing it will mess you up try to hit the ball with authority that is where accuracy is gained.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X