2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Adams Idea Pro

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish I could find a 16 degree in regular flex proto shaft....

The 18/20/and 23 have been firmly in my bag for over a year, can't ever see them leaving until they are absolutely wore out. IF there is something better I dont want to know LOL!

Tad

Ping Rapture V2 10.5*/ Harrison Saga 70grms
TEE Trilogy 15*/ GD Tour AD
TEE Trilogy 18*/GD Tour AD
Adams Idea Pro 20* VS Proto
Srixon I701 Tour 4-Pw, Project X
Titleist Spin Milled 50*
Fourteen MT28 v5 56*
Taylormade Original itsy bitsy spider 33/370grms

just received my 16* yesterday. the only problem is that it has a regular proto shaft instead of my normal stiff preference. Anyways, the looks nice at set-up and has no offset which I love. I also tend to hook shots on my misses, but this thing would not go left at all. In fact, i was hitting a fade about 230.

How high do you guys tee the ball with the idea pro? I assume you would tee it up like an iron?? I'm anxious to get this thing out on the course soon.

just received my 16* yesterday. the only problem is that it has a regular proto shaft instead of my normal stiff preference. Anyways, the looks nice at set-up and has no offset which I love. I also tend to hook shots on my misses, but this thing would not go left at all. In fact, i was hitting a fade about 230.

How high do you guys tee the ball with the idea pro? I assume you would tee it up like an iron?? I'm anxious to get this thing out on the course soon.

Kekoa,

Glad you got the club and seem to like it so far you cant beat the price either!

I tee the ball very low for a normal tee shot and a touch higher if I want to have a little higher flight

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I love mine. It was tough to hit at first but once you get used to it, wow. I can't imagine the feel of anyone's hybrid over these. The golds are also good for feel and accuracy.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 9* w/ UST Linq White 8F5

Callaway Rogue 3 LS Wood w/ UST Linq Blue 8F5

Callaway UW 19* w UST Linq White 9F5

Titleist T200 ‘21 4-5 w/ Nippon Modus3 120x

Titleist T100 ‘21 6-9 w/ Nippon Modus3 120x

Vokey 46* w/ Nippon Modus3 120x

PXG 0311 Wedge 50* w/ UST Recoil Wedge 125X

Vokey 54* and 58* w/ BGT ZNE 130

L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 (Red) Broomstick

^^^^^^your local shop should have a wrench for it if not they can warranty it out

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I have the 4 and 5 Idea pro hybrid. Watch the Dana Quigley video on Adamsgolf.com. I love mine so much I have called and emailed Adams to see if they will bend one so that it has 6 iron loft so I can hit that too!!!!!!!!!!

Ok update just got a 20 degree and a 27 degree(bent to 30) so I now have a 3, 4, 5, and 6 hybrid all with UST V2 hybrid shafts and these clubs are awesome.

How do you like the v2 hybrid shaft? Im debating between that and the Ozik Altus in a 20*. Can anybody else comment on the performance of the Ozik with the Idea Pro head?

I purchased an Adams Idea Pro 20* (3 iron) with the Proto 80 stiff shaft to replace a 21* Titleist 585H with NV 85 shaft. Wow! The Idea Pro is so easy to hit and the 20* went further than my Titleist 17* 585H! I have bought it to be used as a 3 iron, but it is easier to hit, with a better ball flight. and carries longer than my 17*.

Do I buy a 23* to use as a 3 iron now?

This club is awesome, I would recommend it to anyone.

I keep finding myself in the same situation. The 20* that i am demoing is just deeep! I always find myself saying "I could hit the 17* here... or I could just step on the 20* and stick it!"

How do you like the v2 hybrid shaft? Im debating between that and the Ozik Altus in a 20*. Can anybody else comment on the performance of the Ozik with the Idea Pro head?

crafty, without sounding like a broken record or like a Matrix saleman, I have switched all my hybrids to the Idea Pro's and have shafted all of them with the Ozik Altus Hybrid. I currently have the 16*, 20*, and 23* and mix them up depending on the course I playing and how well I'm striking my irons and 3-wood. I play mine at X-flex which makes the hybrids feel very solid/stiff which is how I like them. The Altus HB's in X still feel smooth, not harsh. I play stiff to strong flex in all my other clubs (see my WITB in my signature).

The Altus HB shaft launches the ball high and straight and I have found it has helped reduce the amount of sidespin on the ball. My shot patterns are more predicatable with my dispersion cut by 50%. I've also picked up distance with this combo. I can hit half shots, smooth ones, or step on it when I need some extra yards; the shaft has never failed me.

Everyone who hits my Pro's loves them. One of my buddies hit them yesterday afternoon and then called me at 8pm to tell me he was at the golf store and had just purchased a couple for himself.

crafty, without sounding like a broken record or like a Matrix saleman, I have switched all my hybrids to the Idea Pro's and have shafted all of them with the Ozik Altus Hybrid. I currently have the 16*, 20*, and 23* and mix them up depending on the course I playing and how well I'm striking my irons and 3-wood. I play mine at X-flex which makes the hybrids feel very solid/stiff which is how I like them. The Altus HB's in X still feel smooth, not harsh. I play stiff to strong flex in all my other clubs (see my WITB in my signature).

The Altus HB shaft launches the ball high and straight and I have found it has helped reduce the amount of sidespin on the ball. My shot patterns are more predicatable with my dispersion cut by 50%. I've also picked up distance with this combo. I can hit half shots, smooth ones, or step on it when I need some extra yards; the shaft has never failed me.

Everyone who hits my Pro's loves them. One of my buddies hit them yesterday afternoon and then called me at 8pm to tell me he was at the golf store and had just purchased a couple for himself.

how would you say the Oziks play to flex? The VS Proto in stiff feels somewhere between good and slightly weak to me.

how would you say the Oziks play to flex? The VS Proto in stiff feels somewhere between good and slightly weak to me.

I think they play pretty true to flex, but they are very smooth feeling, not harsh and "boardy" (I hate that non-descript term, BTW). The VS Proto definitely feels weak to me. The Matrix feels stiffer.

anyone tried the Matrix Studio shaft. What is it like compared to the Altus?

I have the Matrix Studio 84 shaft in an Idea A2P hybrid (my backup). I have the same head shafted up with a Rombax 8D07HB shaft (my gamer) and an Altus hybrid (other backup). My preference is Rombax, Altus, Studio 84.

The Rombax feels most like an iron shaft to me (DGS-300). It launches low and with mid-spin. Very controllable. A great shaft if you want your hybrid to feel like your irons which is why it is my favorite shaft.

The Altus is a distant second (but second nonetheless). Launches higher than Rombax, roughly the same amount of spin. Feels like a high-end graphite shaft (smooth), but dispersion is much greater than the Rombax. It was already tipped 1". I guess I could tip it more to get it to feel tighter, but since it is a backup I haven't bothered. It isn't a bad shaft, and if you need help getting your hybrids airborne, it is probably a good choice. but you will give up some control compared to your irons with it.

The Studio feels more like the Rombax than the Altus. Low-launching and mid-spin like the Rombax, but the Studio feels "harsh" in comparison. It also has the "loose" feeling of the Altus. Again not a bad thing, but if you want your hybrid to feel more like an iron instead of a fairway wood or driver, then not the shaft for you. It is your basic, garden-variety hybrid shaft. Nothing special, but also not expensive like the Rombax or the Altus.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

Are you still carrying all those Adams clubs?

I am an investor in their stock and wonder if they are still selling as well as before, and if they are keeping their customers loyal to their new products?

Yup. The A2P/Rombax combo is my main gamer in my Portland bag. The A2P/Altus is in my NorCal bag. The A2P/Studio84 combo is in my SoCal bag. I paid less and less for each combo. I believe I paid something like $225 for the A2P/Rombax, $175 for the A2P/Altus and just bought the A2P/Studio84 combo (new) for $116.

This is something like a 2 year old head. I have tried the Peanut and didn't like it at all. In fact, the 5050 fairway wood I use is also 2 years old at this point. They haven't come out with anything I like more so I keep trolling around looking for backups in other people's discards on BST.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

• 2 weeks later...

Just grabbed a 23* today, and took it out right away. Sounds and sets up just like an iron. Nice solid thwack to it, similar to my irons, and mishits feel funny, but still go out real nicely. I did pull hook it a couple times, but no biggie.

Ball flight is perfect... high but not ballooning at all. My mishits resulted in lower trajectory shots, that felt bad, but ended up fine.

Shaft waggles on the soft side, but I'm not getting a lot of side to side movement, so I'm guessing it's ok for me.

The place I bought it, did not have the 3h in the 80-s, but they did have a 2h & 3h in 80-x. I hit the 4h in the 200-215 range pretty consistently, and poked a couple tee shots a little further, but I don't think that would warrant an x-flex, do you guys?

I'd actually bag a 5h, if I found one, as this is the first graphite hybrid I've felt doesn't feel too light in my hands. I thought about going 2h & 4h for the 5* gap, but Adams has .75" length gaps, and idk if the 18* would play a little long for me.

I'll update this with further thoughts after a few rounds, but I was definitely excited about having something between my 5w and 5i finally. I seriously may bag a 2h, as my 5w is very large (200cc, 40mm face height), and it's inconsistent off the deck for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love this club, perfect trajectory its always penetrating towards the target never balloons. I was also able to hit stingers with it while I was at bandon dunes. I was able to replace my 5 wood and 3 iron with it because if i lay off its like the 3 and if i go normal its like a 5 wood, the thing just goes far and strait and is awesome from any lie, it helped me most because I was able to put another wedge in the bag and its always nice to have more options from 125 yards and in.

• 3 months later...
Im tryin to replace my 3 iron for those long par 3's, what loft would u guys recommend? Im looking at a 20 degree hybrid but after reading these posts I need to be sure that I wont just be getting another club that has the distance of my 5w. Thanks!

IMO, the 20* will be too long if you are looking for purely a 3i replacement. The 16* replaced my 3W and the 20* replaced my 5W. The 23* is probably a better choice--again, if you are purely seeking a 3i replacement. BTW, I own the 16*, the 18*, the 20*, and the 23*. What you should consider is this. Sometimes I will play with the 16* and the 23*, but usually I go with the 16* and the 20* and just choke up on the 20* when I need to bring that distance down. This frees up two slots in my bag because everything from 5W to 3I is covered with the 20*.

E.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...