Peter Broadbent handmade drivers

Hi Dave

Suggest to set up a search on eBay - you don't see many but there have been a couple in the last year or so.

Here's a set of 1,3,5 with Boron Graphite shafts that I bought earlier this year for £26.00 and £12.50 postage, which were in excellent refinished condition ("keepers" I'm afraid!).

The clubs look very solid (haven't hit them yet) and have a nice tight U-grain. The stamps on the bottom say E36 (driver) and E53 and E54 for the fairway woods, and each also has the initials JH on them, which I assume to be the original owner.

I'd be interested in any info on Peter Broadbent; I assume all his work was custom ?

[attachment=1269802:Peter Broadbent Montage.jpg]

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

hi blade

peter broadbent was actually my father. he passed away about a year ago.
my family and I have been trying to get our hands on some of his clubs as not many were left

he was basically a club pro (who played on the tour for a bit) who turned his attention to making custom clubs for people and did a lot of work for tours pros.
i spent my early childhood going to tour events with him and my brother where he had a workshop and would sell clubs.
he stop making them in the early to mid 90s so hence there hard to find

if you ever wanted to sell them pls let me know?
the nos relate to the year they were made- he started at A - i can try and find out what year E is if you like?
the nos are just the order in which they were made. so E1 was first that year , E2 second etc.

i know he took a lot of pride in every club he made and he'd be glad your enjoying them.

Sorry to hear about your dad's passing dave19790 - I'll keep eyes/ears open for examples of your dad's work, and if I ever decide to part with this set you can have first refusal! It's a beautiful set of woods for sure.

I bought them as I was interested to start collecting examples of persimmon clubs from British clubmakers (I have a Paul Gibson driver, Harry Busson 1,3,5 woods plus your dad's set and missed out on a Harold Beck driver last year - that's as far as my knowledge of British clubmakers goes so far ...)

Very interesting about the serial numbering - would love to know what year E is, and any other info would also be great. I'd also love to read about some of your early memories and experiences around the tour.

There is not much info on the net about Peter Broadbent clubs so perhaps this thread should serve as the reference material for posterity! It already shows up #1 on google for "Peter Broadbent persimmon".

Welcome to the board!

hey guys- many thanks for the replies.

i have memories of travelling to st andrews in 90 and birkdale in 91 for the opens with my dad and brother.
the belfrey and sunningdale also stand out.
i was very young though- born in 1979.
i remember seeing my dad chatting to woosnam, faldo, sandy lyle. meeting pretty much everyone on the tour. he regripped, shafted a lot of their clubs whilst they were on tour i believe as he was always looking tat their putters and things.
i remember gary player was always friendly to us as young kids. most years we went to a pro am at st pierre golf club. it was about the only tournament i was interested in as kenny dalglish always played in it and he was my hero so i got to meet him a few times.
apart from that not many memories as i wasnt really into golf as a young lad. i took it up 2 years ago when i got into my 30s.
when he died we found various memobilia hed collected, pictures with tour players etc - a signed picture from seve to my dad is probably the highlight.

my dad played in the 1970 open at st andrews and missed the cut im told. but ive never been able to find any info on this other than what he and my mother told me.

in reference to his clubs. he had a workshop in melksham in wiltshire in the early 80s before we moved back to south wales in about 1986 ish.
by this time hed stopped playing golf altogether and i only occasionally saw him hit a ball at the range when hed teach my brother or try and inspire me without success.
he started as a junior club pro at whitchurch golf club in cardiff before moving to london and working at langley park and crowborough in the sussex area i believe.
by about 1993 ish hed stopped pretty much all together making clubs. he made a couple of hundred every year from memory.
back in those days he kept records of who bought each club, the shaft, grip, type of keyhole insert and details of each customer. he had them in folders in his home office but im not sure where they all went.

i moved to sydney , australia in 2001 so have no idea what happened to everything. he left a few bits and pieces which we have.
but im trying to find as much info as possible and get my hands on a few of his clubs.
my brother got one about a year ago on ebay and weve been looking ever since occasionally.

if anyone has a club or remembers meeting him id always be keen to hear about it.

guys page 76 of the below magazine has an article on peter broadbent.
he had a passion for jazz music and after retiring from golf spend the next 10 yrs until he died or so following his other passion of music.
publishing a couple of books as per the article.
my brother, sister and I have the first 3 copies of each book he worte.

[url="http://issuu.com/golfinternationalmagazine/docs/gi69-music"]http://issuu.com/golfinternationalmagazine/docs/gi69-music[/url]

[quote name='dave19790' timestamp='1343085042' post='5337292']
guys page 76 of the below magazine has an article on peter broadbent.
he had a passion for jazz music and after retiring from golf spend the next 10 yrs until he died or so following his other passion of music.
publishing a couple of books as per the article.
my brother, sister and I have the first 3 copies of each book he worte.

[url="http://issuu.com/golfinternationalmagazine/docs/gi69-music"]http://issuu.com/golfinternationalmagazine/docs/gi69-music[/url]
[/quote]

dave19790,

Thanks for the link. As a musician & golf nut, can't wait to read about your father's other passion. And best of luck in your club search; he certainly made some beauties, as Blade Junkie's pics attest.

- guisician

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

thx rex-
no idea unfortunately. i was v young- just remember going to his workshop all the time and being told not to throw grips and shafts about...
i do remember the keyhole was one of his favourites and i think most asked for though.
it was kind of his signature insert i believe
i have vague recollections of the keyhole being something he used as a logo for himself at various times,

sorry im not realy much help i know. as i said unfortunately i didnt pay a great deal to golf when i was younger.
shame as now im a golf tragic...

Blade Junkie Hook the Man up! I for one think it would be a great gesture to return the clubs to the Family. (I recently tracked down the Grandson of Henry Bolesta, a club Pro at Palma Ciea in the 1950's.. I had bought an eBay auction of old clubs in a bag, and the bag turned out was Henry's personal gamer.. painted on the side and everything.
I am not telling you what to do Blade Junkie, but I can honestly tell you I got much more enjoyment and satisfaction being able to get that bag to his Grandson, (And Henry's wife), who is in her 90s, much more than I ever would have if I had kept the bag.
I even paid to ship it down to Virginia.
Again, not telling you what to do, just some food for thought.
If you decide to sell I will put my money where my mouth is and pay it forward.. I will refinish a club for you free of charge, including return shipping!. How bout it??? :wave:

Dave19790 - Your father made some nice looking persimmon woods. The grain pattern flows uniformly from the centre of the toe back. Nice deep face and a nice stain colour. I have been restoring and collecting for 5 years and have never seen one of your fathers clubs before. Will make an effort to contact you IF I ever come accross any of your fathers clubs. Played on the mens tour eh? He must have been an exceptional golfer too!
Max & Donna
Canada
[email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]

"One Day At a Time"

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave sent you this as a PM on 26th July, but it hasn't been opened yet, so maybe you didn't get it for some reason ?

So I reproduce it again here - please let me know what you want to do with this either way:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOUND ONE!

Hi Dave

Well, despite the urgings of the board I'm afraid I do want to keep my set of your dad's clubs! However, I have been trawling the internet on your behalf and have found a link to an old eBay listing from March 2012 on about page 30 of google.

VINTAGE HAND MADE 'PETER BROADBENT' DRIVER
PERSIMMON HEAD
ALDILA HM40 SHAFT
REGISTERED No. F231
ROYAL CHORD GRIP
THIS CLUB IS IN VERY GOOD CONDITION
UNIQUE HAND MADE PERSIMMON DRIVER. COST OVER £300 WHEN NEW.
ANY INSPECTION WELCOME.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=130491957599&si=7S9wDgQdW0lwNwjjZcM%252BkV7vf2Q%253D&viewitem=&clk_rvr_id=368395078470&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc"]http://cgi.ebay.co.u...cvip=true&rt=nc[/url]

I have been in contact with the seller, and it didn't sell, and is still available. He says it dates from 1988 and he is looking for £150 but I reckon you might be able to knock him down a bit.

He has recently had it sent away to Scotland for "valuation" and apparently this £150 is the 'mid price'. Pics will be available via email in about a week or so (when he gets the club back)

Send me your email address and I will forward you the email exchange and I'll duck out of the loop!

Hope you can come to a good agreement with him.

Best regards

Blade Junkie

[quote name='rtv' timestamp='1344921421' post='5467484']
Broadbent driver sighted on ebay [url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peter-Broadbent-Persimmon-Golf-Driver-/261081152490?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D1313072441839489646%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1020%26rk%3D4%26#ht_500wt_1070"]http://www.ebay.com/...&#ht_500wt_1070[/url]
[/quote]

Love the description:

[color=#0000ff]This golf driver shows Peter Broadbent name on bottom of club. Believed to be a Cadet Footballer (socker) player in the 50's. This is the only golf club that I have ever seen with his name[/color]

Basically he has googled "Peter Broadbent" and come up with the Wolves footballer from the 1950s lol.

@dave - welcome back! Please check your messages on here - I have sent you the sellers email address and phone number!

Good luck, and hope you win the US eBay bid as well !

[quote name='KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE' timestamp='1345403167' post='5499026']
[quote name='Blade Junkie' timestamp='1345400257' post='5498850']
Hope you won that one Dave - went for $39.50 ... Good price!
[/quote]

I was sucessful in winning the auction for Dave, glad to help!
[/quote]

Bravo !!!

• 1 month later...

I have a Peter Broadbent driver which I purchased about 5 years ago through Ebay. It is marked Peter Broadbent with A1 above his name. This driver is in as new condition and it looks as if it has never struck a golf ball.

I am a collector of Classic Persimmon clubs and I would be reluctant to part with this beauty.

I would be interested to know its value

Further to my earlier post the Peter Broadbent driver I have is stamped PETER BROADBENT with A1 above. I is fitted with a steel True Temper Dynamic R shaft and an Avon Nexus grip. It came in its own black Club Guard case. The club is in excellent condition and I suspect it has never struck a golf ball since manufacture.

I will take some photos and post here later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...