Peter Broadbent handmade drivers

[quote name='dave19790' timestamp='1345000025' post='5473904']
guys
the guys selling it is in the US. wont ship to australia.
anyone in US want to help me out and buy it and ill pay you for club and shipping?
[/quote]

Dave, I am waiting for you to follow up on your end. Would it be easier on the shipping to send just the head? Looking forward to hearing from you.

Dave - I also heard that you exchanged 5/6 emails with the guy in UK who had the other driver, but having agreed a deal he is still waiting for you to complete the sale ? (for 3 months now - apparently all packaged and waiting to go ...)

I hope everything is ok with you as otherwise this is very poor form to leave two good citizens in limbo, and Killedbyashanked wedge out of pocket as well ... !!!

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hope you managed to sell that driver on Killedbyashankedwedge - I saw you had it re-listed a few weeks back.

For anyone else that is interested in Peter Broadbent fairway woods, there is a new listing for a 3 wood and 5 wood on UK eBay today (would need refinishing) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121058666516&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

Same insert design as my set.

[quote name='Blade Junkie' timestamp='1359377520' post='6313431']
Hope you managed to sell that driver on Killedbyashankedwedge - I saw you had it re-listed a few weeks back.

For anyone else that is interested in Peter Broadbent fairway woods, there is a new listing for a 3 wood and 5 wood on UK eBay today (would need refinishing) [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121058666516&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123"]http://cgi.ebay.co.u...ME:B:SS:GB:1123[/url]

Same insert design as my set.
[/quote]

[color=#ffffff]edit[/color]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='dave19790' timestamp='1343029518' post='5332532']
hi blade

peter broadbent was actually my father. he passed away about a year ago.
my family and I have been trying to get our hands on some of his clubs as not many were left

he was basically a club pro (who played on the tour for a bit) who turned his attention to making custom clubs for people and did a lot of work for tours pros.
i spent my early childhood going to tour events with him and my brother where he had a workshop and would sell clubs.
he stop making them in the early to mid 90s so hence there hard to find

if you ever wanted to sell them pls let me know?
the nos relate to the year they were made- he started at A - i can try and find out what year E is if you like?
the nos are just the order in which they were made. so E1 was first that year , E2 second etc.

I know he took a lot of pride in every club he made and he'd be glad your enjoying them.
[/quote] Hello Dave. I may be one of your father;s last customers. I received two drivers in August 1993 both were limited edition custom
keyhole models..
Due to spinal problems and subsequent operation I was unable to play golf. Therefore I have two new clubs made by your father sitting in my home .
I paid 255 pounds each inclusive of postage within the UK.
Furthermore I have all your Father;s notes ad. brochures plus a letter signed by him. Colour brochure of all the models he made.
If of interest I now reside in Cyprus and will forward you all the documentation if we can agree a price for the two drivers. Tony Parrish27 @ hotmail.com

Just found this thread again. This is really unfortunate. Killedbyashankwedge, sorry that you got burned. Funny, the guy sounded like a good guy when he started the thread.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

dave19790,

Sorry to hear about Peter's death.

Playing permission woods seems a long time ago, from another age.

He made two sets of clubs for me. The first set were broken in transit to USA but I still have the driver and three wood from the replacement set he made.

They are limited edition models stamps with the letter L.

They are finished in a honey stain with a six screw insert. I believe that he made a driver in this colour for Greg Norman.

I still have the certificate, a copy of an article written by Peter on the principles of club design and one of his promotional brochures.

Stephen 22

• 8 months later...

Hi Folks,

Was just re-whipping my PB driver and decided to check on any blogs re Peter. I purchased this hand-made driver from him in the late 90's, cant remember the year. I found his name on a website and chatted to him before going ahead. He said me made drivers to order and asked me my handicap (6 at the time) and also asked my height (5'10'). He then asked what shape off the tee I wanted, and i replied a slight low draw. He said ''no problem''. I think I paid him £90.00 but cant be sure on this amount. The face is keyhole and the sole is engraved Peter Broadbent followed by a large 1 on the same line. Above this line is engraved: 1 2 3 the 1 is bold and beneath his name are my initials in caps RC.

The shaft is a SUNTECH Super Boron frequency matched/high modular Graphite R. The grip is NEXUS black with red grooves. The bottom of the grip has AVON NEXUS.

During our chat he mentioned that he made drivers for the top players, Gary Player and Jack Nicklaus in particular, when they came to play The Open links courses and wanted a special shape off the tee, usually a low draw.

It took him 3 weeks to make and he sent it by post and I paid by cheque. There was no head cover.

I played with it for a few months and sure enough I got a low draw, and could hit it as far as my my metal head driver of the day. I now use it once a year only in the summer..I asked online for someone to re varnish but the varnish Peter used is now longer made due to the chemicals used then and banned now. Am gonna keep it just as it is and enjoy his great workmanship. Thanks Peter: RIP

• 8 months later...

[quote name='dave19790' timestamp='1343029518' post='5332532']
hi blade

peter broadbent was actually my father. he passed away about a year ago.
my family and I have been trying to get our hands on some of his clubs as not many were left

he was basically a club pro (who played on the tour for a bit) who turned his attention to making custom clubs for people and did a lot of work for tours pros.
i spent my early childhood going to tour events with him and my brother where he had a workshop and would sell clubs.
he stop making them in the early to mid 90s so hence there hard to find

if you ever wanted to sell them pls let me know?
the nos relate to the year they were made- he started at A - i can try and find out what year E is if you like?
the nos are just the order in which they were made. so E1 was first that year , E2 second etc.

i know he took a lot of pride in every club he made and he'd be glad your enjoying them.
[/quote]

I don't have any PB clubs I'm afraid, but I did play a few times with Peter Broadbent. He was pro for a while in the 1970s at Billingham Golf club, in the NE of England. He coached some local juniors - including me - for a while. He was a good player, and a nice guy.

I recall playing in the same group in a pro-am at Cleveland Golf Club (Redcar). It's a tough links course, and that day it was set up very hard, and with a strong wind blowing. It was probably 1972 or 1973. He had one of the finest rounds I have ever witnessed - gross 66 I think. He won the pro prize by about 8 shots, and he and his amateur partner won the team prize by about 10 shots! I also had one of the best rounds of my life - gross 78, nett 76! I won the amateur prize. I've hardly ever seen anyone control the ball that well on a tough, bouncy, windy day. He could had 64 easily, but elected to try to improve the team score on the 17th when he could have easily played safe for a par.

One shot I will always remember was a driver off a downhill lie on the fairway to a par 5 - it cleared a fairway bunker by about a foot and then soared up into the wind, clearing a greenside bunker and then rolling gently up to about 10 feet for an eagle.

I'll always remember that. He did indeed play in a few Opens, although I don't know if he ever played beyond the qualifying rounds.

Good luck in finding some of his clubs.

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi

Apologies for rekindling an old thread but I was reminiscing about golf with my Dad at the weekend

I was lucky enough to get some Peter Broadbent woods made for me for my 18th birthday in 1985 and used them later that year in the English amateur championship with my Dad caddying and they meant and still mean the world to me- I stpped playing when I was 21 to do other things and they havent been used for 32 years , they have battle scars but would never get them refurbished as Peter was the person who made them exactly for me and I wouldnt want them tampered with- if i was playing now I would still be using them

I found Peter to be great person and truly great craftsman. they have an A Then a serial number on base plate

my woods are wholly part of my life

kevin

Thanks for rekindling the thread Kevin, I missed it first time round and found it a great read.

I think thanks anyway!

A beer in hand coupled with ebay being one click away, I made a quick search and found a Peter Broadbent as one of a group of clubs and without thinking about it I bought them.

There are six woods in the package trying to read the sole plates they're as follows:

• "1" - Butterfly sole plate but no other markings!
  • Limited Edition Peter Broadbent 2/10
  • McGregor Synchrolite Eye-O-Matic 1 12' (Oil hardened)
  • John Letters 2
  • McGregor 300 1 (Oil hardened)
  • Excalibur 1 (metal)

For £21 including postage it had to be worth a punt.

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

Hi

Apologies for rekindling an old thread but I was reminiscing about golf with my Dad at the weekend

I was lucky enough to get some Peter Broadbent woods made for me for my 18th birthday in 1985 and used them later that year in the English amateur championship with my Dad caddying and they meant and still mean the world to me- I stpped playing when I was 21 to do other things and they havent been used for 32 years , they have battle scars but would never get them refurbished as Peter was the person who made them exactly for me and I wouldnt want them tampered with- if i was playing now I would still be using them

I found Peter to be great person and truly great craftsman. they have an A Then a serial number on base plate

my woods are wholly part of my life

kevin

Kevin - nice story ... thanks for sharing! Love the phrase "my woods are wholly part of my life" !

The 'A' denotes that they were made in the first year that Broadbent started making clubs. The number denoted that it was the 'n'th club that he made that year.

Post some pics please! :)

The woods I won on ebay the other day turned up this morning, all in well used condition but no horror stories.

Pictures of the Peter Broadbent driver are shown below, I'll post the rest in the "No new acquisitions?" thread later.

Unfortunately it doesn't have the keyhole insert but otherwise it looks pretty similar to BJ's, right down to the gold graphite shaft, although mine has no markings on it and quite a bit of bag wear.

Sole markings are:

K94

Limited Edition

Peter Broadbent

2/10

(Surprised at the poor fit of the sole plate at the trail end of the club for such a renowned club maker!)

I'm looking at the burrs on the screws securing the sole plate and wondering, just wondering if the plate was retrofitted to another lesser club, maybe a Tour Edition Wilson

You could be right, the insert definitely matches a few Wilson clubs I've just looked up on the net with one high groove, three centre grooves and one bottom groove.

I guess I'd have to compare it side by side with a known Peter Broadbent to be sure.

I'm looking at the burrs on the screws securing the sole plate and wondering, just wondering if the plate was retrofitted to another lesser club, maybe a Tour Edition Wilson

You could be right, the insert definitely matches a few Wilson clubs I've just looked up on the net with one high groove, three centre grooves and one bottom groove.

I guess I'd have to compare it side by side with a known Peter Broadbent to be sure.

It is just guess, but I have seen so many 'naughties' in my time I wobble between paranoid and cynical. Neither are attractive traits. Sorry to have set a hare running.

It is just guess, but I have seen so many 'naughties' in my time I wobble between paranoid and cynical. Neither are attractive traits. Sorry to have set a hare running.

No problem, I didn't exactly pay big money for it and bought it to use, along with the others in the group, rather than as an investment.

• 8 months later...

Hello everyone. Sorry to rekindle an old thread but I saw some additional posts from last year. Peter started using letters in the plates e.g A1, A2 etc a while after starting to make clubs. Once the business was busier he switched to the alphabetical system to keep track of the clubs along with keeping details of the buyers. It made repair easier if the clubs were sold on as they were made specifically for the individual buyer. He made several limited edition clubs but these were in the late 1980/early 90’s. . I believe he usually made a set of 10 or 20 and the first 3 were given to his children. He also made only one left handed in the limited edition set.

• 2 years later...