2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

"That" guy on the range

A new one today. Bring your 2 6-8 year old kids to a second storey driving range, turn your back on them, and then let them scream around for the next hour.

Thanks f*** face.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Bingo1976' timestamp='1347204688' post='5611515']
A new one today. Bring your 2 6-8 year old kids to a second storey driving range, turn your back on them, and then let them scream around for the next hour.

Thanks f*** face.
[/quote]

yes, this is something I would have a problem with. It just seems nowadays more parents seem to have no interest or ability to control their kids. I was at a subway labor day weekend and there was a woman who's kids were screaming and jumping on the furniture. She did nothing.

[quote name='Solutions Etcetera' timestamp='1347210338' post='5611823']

yes, this is something I would have a problem with. It just seems nowadays more parents seem to have no interest or ability to control their kids. I was at a subway labor day weekend and there was a woman who's kids were screaming and jumping on the furniture. She did nothing.
[/quote]
That's my sister-in-law. And my wife wonders why I don't want to go grab a bite to eat with her family.

Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5
Titleist 909F3 15.5
Nike VR-S Covert Tour #3
Mizuno MP-59
Miura Black Wedge Series 52,56,60
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2

Bear in mind that back in 1920's, golf apparel bordered on the sublime to the ridiculous. Take a look at this spritely young fellow in his plus fours...that's Al Capone by the way....and I doubt anyone laughed at his attire.

capone%20with%20background.jpg

And rightly so. Unless, of course, getting beat up by the mafia is your kind of thing!

On the other hand, I wouldn't really feel threatened if I laughed at some 40 year old dressed in sunday orange.

That guy was also at a driving range I was at recently, he was doing the Fowler but he was dressed in his best Tiger sunday gear complete with his TW hat. Nike staff bag with his named stitched on it. Let's just say his skills on the driving range didn't live up to they hype his outfit was advertising.

#Mizuno
#PlayFamously
#TeamJPX

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1344946725' post='5468218']
My friends and I used to say, "If you're going to have a custom golf bag with your name on it....you'd better be able to play."

I'm thinking of changing that to, "If you're going to dress like a clown and draw attention to yourself....you'd better be able to play." And that's probably a little mean.

White belts are now just a fashion choice - they're not for me. I'm not good enough to wear a white belt. I can't say golf has always been fashion forward - more like golf has been fashion inflicted. Look at the plaids of the 1970s. I suppose the Loudmouth brand is the plaid of the 1970s.

As an old guy....I can say this - Hard to go wrong with greys & khakis and black golf shoes or white/black saddle.
[/quote]

I agree. I dont care what anyone else wears, but me personally I wouldn't dress like Fowler or wear a pair of white long pants unless I was shooting par. I also wouldn't buy $1000 dollars worth of North Face gear if I was going on a 2 mile hike. Or bikers shorts when I'm riding a ten speed. I would feel like a poser. I'm not saying everybody who wears this stuff is a poser. That's just how I would feel.

I really don't care what others wear. Things like the Loudmouth pants definitely don't fit my conservative style but to each his own... That is as long as guys don't start getting like they do in my other passion tournament bass fishing. The trend there is for guys to have tournament shirts just like the pros and most guys just go crazy with putting every freaking manufacturer possible on their shirt wether they use the stuff or not. I admittedly have a tournament shirt but the few logos I do have are for companies that sponsor me with product or that I am paid pro staff for. The guys that go crazy with the logos we call patch whores or patch pirates :)

Personally I hit the range it shorts and a T-shirt. Its practice.

Theres no rule saying you have to strike it like a pro to wear certain clothes. Wear what you want and have fun. You come off like a snob when you make fun of the guy for hitting bad shots. If he wants to carry blades and dress likes hes Fowler while he chunks every shot who cares. To each their own.

i never watch other people at the range.... im there to improve my game... get my practice in....

watching someone else is just a distraction for what you went there to accomplish......

i also would never judge a player on how he dresses or how he hits the ball........ if he hits the ball in the holes with less strokes than me... he beats me... whatever he looked like on the range...or how his swing is..... i treat all my competition as being better than me.... at the end of round... ill judge myself on how i played....

Still amazed at how worried everyone is about what others wear or use. Why do you care so much that people dress nice and have nice gear? Are you jealous because you're still playing Adams A3 OS and he has a new set of Mizuno MP69s? It may be a bit much for the range, but I still don't care. On the course I don't care if they dress head to toe in bright orange and neon, with a new Cobra staff bag and new set of blades. Fine by me. I don't care what their game is like. It beats being paired up with the guy in a tshirt and JORTS who has zero etiquette, stands on your line and spits sunflower seeds all over the green.

It's about as ridiculous as worrying about what cars other people are driving as you run errands. Everyone has their own taste and style. Live and let live.

Me and Jack Persall? We walk the line.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

[quote name='aimgator' timestamp='1347847665' post='5649351']
i never watch other people at the range.... im there to improve my game... get my practice in....

watching someone else is just a distraction for what you went there to accomplish......

i also would never judge a player on how he dresses or how he hits the ball........ if he hits the ball in the holes with less strokes than me... he beats me... whatever he looked like on the range...or how his swing is..... i treat all my competition as being better than me.... at the end of round... ill judge myself on how i played....
[/quote]

DIsagree, you can learn lots of what to do's and what not to do's by watching people that have good/bad moves at certain points in their swing. I go to the range to improve my game also, +2.5 index FWIW.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 Fujikura Rombax 7z08
Titleist 906F2 15 Diamana Blueboard 83
Titleist 712U 2 Dynamic Gold
Titleist 712 CB 3-5 MB 6-9 Dynamic Gold
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08 TVD M 52 58
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport

[quote name='rockinar' timestamp='1348503056' post='5685481']
About to head to the course. Black shoes, white pants, black belt, blue shirt, black hat ( to match shoes and belt) and staff bag. I'll be shooting high 80s. Mmmhmm. No game but I look mean.

Yup...sorry haters.

Parking Lot Pros unite!!!
[/quote]
This is pushing it too far. You can never wear black and blue together. youll look like a bruise!

Hmmm... maybe I don't do that on the range, but on the course I do sometimes like to wear pretty loud colors. And I can't play this game well at all to back up the crazy clothes.

But usually people are quite sympathetic. When I explain them that I am quite new to this game and while it's not easy to swing smoothly being almost two meters tall and about 100kg in weight (I believe that's about 6''4' and 200 pounds for the non-metric types), but having spent most of my life doing competitive martial arts I am quite used to monitoring my posture and drawing strength in kicks and punches from the whole body so I am hoping to get a decent swing soon, they don't feel like laughing at my gear at all.

Such nice and friendly folks I meet at the golf course :)

Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3i, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

There are always people like this at any course. There is a guy at my home course who where cross country running shorts (more like polyester daisy dukes) and a UA shirt not a UA golf shirt but a UA shirt that I would wear to the gym to run in. Nice guy 62 years old plays to a 1.7 index but it looks like he lost when he shows up to the course. There is also another guy who shows up dressed like Rory (nothing against Oakley or Rory at all is actually all I wear thanks to the sales rep being awesome to a young mini tour guy trying to make ends meet) this man however is early 40s retired "knows everything about the game and the swing" offers free lessons to everyone whether they want it or not and plays to a 27 index. To each their own although it is always hilarious when I see Rory Sr. down on the practice tee wailing away with his golf bats spraying it into the next county than telling someone that he used to swing like Oosthuizen.

[quote name='Justmuckit' timestamp='1348414475' post='5681239']
I'll be hitting the course today wearing a hot pink Nike shirt, a pair of grey slacks, white hat, belt and shoes, and I'll shoot around 95.

I don't care if that bothers some of you.
[/quote]

Bravo! I'd rather blend in and shoot 75, but that's just me...

[quote name='OrlandoSean' timestamp='1348555478' post='5690643']Go speak your mind to his face before you post on here.[/quote]

Then post what happens.

[size=2][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][color=#A4A4A4]What's In My Ping Hoofer?[/color]
[color=#A4A4A4]TaylorMade M3 TP 10.5 Diamana B60[/color]
[color=#A4A4A4]TaylorMade R11Ti 15/18.5/21 Diamana Kai'Li 80[/color]
[color=#a4a4a4]2013 Ping Anser 4-PW PXi 5.5 [/color]
[color=#A4A4A4]Ping Glide Forged 52/58 S300
Ping Half Wack-E 34"
Kirkland Signature Performance +[/color][/font][/size]

[quote name='OrlandoSean' timestamp='1348555478' post='5690643']
Everyone is a scratch golfer on the range. Who cares what people wear to play or practice. I think you should do what makes "you" feel good. Next time you are at the range and you don't like the way another man is dressed go say something. Go speak your mind to his face before you post on here.
[/quote]

A lunchroom table full of snickering 12 year old girls comes to mind. "OMG did you see what he's wearing today!?!"

I wonder how many fashion critics here buy more car than they need? Got that red convertible Beemer that goes 140mph or whatever and has racetrack suspension? Are you a racecar driver? You must be!

I can understand being critical of someone who has more club than he/she can handle and isn't trying to improve enough to play it. I don't understand grown men acting like gossipy teenyboppers while criticizing others for not "acting their age".

Two thoughts:

1. I like brightly colored golf apparel. Whether someone else approves of my apparel choice is completely irrelevant to my life, as is the outfit, club, or bag choice of the guy next to me.

2. The last time I heard this much clucking about someone's outfit was when my barber closed unexpectedly and I ended up going to a nearby "salon" for a haircut while about 10 middle aged to old biddies waited for their roots to be dyed.

JP once did a pensive thread where he noted that too many people - given their swings - had the wrong flex shaft.
The howls of "mind your own business" and "what do you care" were profuse. "How do youi know this?" "Who are you, the Shaft Police?" It was rather comical to Jack Pearsall. Jack tried to explain that, in fact, he could care less what someone uses for gear. But JP did find it funny/curious that so many slower swings had what would generally be considered the wrong shaft. Yeah, JP knows they probably bought the irons off Ebay, and yes, JP knows that many of the higher tour type gear usually comes in the stiffer flexs. People were real defensive about it, and JP still chuckles a bit when he sees clowns out there mauling the ball with their Miura CB-501s so fine.

Listen, JP could really care less what someone is doing at the range, but if JP knows the guy drives a BMW, he probably is an ahole. And you know, JP doesn't give his unused range balls to aholes, just those who seem like friendly blokes having a go at a rather difficult game. JP certainly doesn't want to offend anyone.:)

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3