"That" guy on the range

[quote name='geesecougar2' timestamp='1345004020' post='5474252']
Wear what you want, just don't have a staff bag with your name embroidered on it unless you are a pro. Not even if you are a real stick; only pros can have then name on the staff bag.
[/quote][quote name='MelloYello' timestamp='1345003115' post='5474180']
[quote name='Justin_Ellis' timestamp='1345002694' post='5474156']
My guess from reading this and many other iterations of this thread is that most folks go to the range dress in Carhartt overalls and swinging clubs from the 1970s, and can drive a nail on the 250 stake Moe Norman style while laughing at this "guy". I learned a long time ago in junior golf to never pay any attention to how someone dresses or what they play and to just do my own thing.
[/quote]

Yeah, but that's different.

You're talking about someone who's dressed down. The conversation is about people who dress up.

The purpose of dressing up in the manor being discussed is inherently to send a message to other people's eyes. Bright, flashy clothes are meant to be noticed. There's nothing wrong with not being able to afford (or choosing not to purchase) expensive, bright fabrics because that's not always something someone can control.

When you purposefully spend your money on things that are designed to bring attention to yourself...

...do you guys all see how that's different?

I hope so, because without sounding like the voice of God here, I would just point out to you all that it's completely hypocritical to say that a person has to right to scream for my attention but that I don't have the right to judge that person based on how they present themselves in doing so. It's not alright to say that an entity cannot form some type of a value-judgement on another entity which is purposefully doing something that is designed to grab attention by it's being so abnormal.
[/quote]
Interesting Observation. I would contend that bright colors are what is in style at the moment, and I am not referring to just golf. (Look at 90% of the people at your gym.) While I am sure there are people who dress a certain way to represent something that they are not, most folks I would say dress the way that best represents their personality. I for one would never be caught dead on the golf course in a pair of pleated khaki pants or a vertical striped shirt that looks as if it is two sizes to large, but to each his own. Fairwaystyles.com seems to be doing pretty good and there target market is not just 15 year old kids.

M1 440 8.5 Project X Hzrdus Black
SLDR Mini 12 long neck black tie 80
x2 Hot 5 Deep 82x Diamana D+
Titleist 714 AP2 KBS Tour X
ATV Tour issue 54/58
XFT 50
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 1 Arm Lock

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='MelloYello' timestamp='1345003115' post='5474180']
[quote name='Justin_Ellis' timestamp='1345002694' post='5474156']
My guess from reading this and many other iterations of this thread is that most folks go to the range dress in Carhartt overalls and swinging clubs from the 1970s, and can drive a nail on the 250 stake Moe Norman style while laughing at this "guy". I learned a long time ago in junior golf to never pay any attention to how someone dresses or what they play and to just do my own thing.
[/quote]

Yeah, but that's different.

You're talking about someone who's dressed down. The conversation is about people who dress up.

The purpose of dressing up in the manor being discussed is inherently to send a message to other people's eyes. Bright, flashy clothes are meant to be noticed. There's nothing wrong with not being able to afford (or choosing not to purchase) expensive, bright fabrics because that's not always something someone can control.

When you purposefully spend your money on things that are designed to bring attention to yourself...

...do you guys all see how that's different?

I hope so, because without sounding like the voice of God here, I would just point out to you all that it's completely hypocritical to say that a person has to right to scream for my attention but that I don't have the right to judge that person based on how they present themselves in doing so. It's not alright to say that an entity cannot form some type of a value-judgement on another entity which is purposefully doing something that is designed to grab attention by it's being so abnormal.
[/quote]

No, it's not "hypocritical". You're still dealing with subjective opinions about fashion and calling them absolutes that give you some "right" to "judge" people. That's part of your view of the world and a prejudice you have, not reality.

Although I tend to find a spot at the range off to a side by myself, I'll drink a couple of beers at the range and, provided I'm far enough away from others, smoke a cigarette or two.

How would you all have me killed? I'm sure it would be slow and painful.

I couldn't imagine the thread here about it. I'm sure it would be a real beauty.

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1344946725' post='5468218']
My friends and I used to say, "If you're going to have a custom golf bag with your name on it....you'd better be able to play."

I'm thinking of changing that to, "If you're going to dress like a clown and draw attention to yourself....you'd better be able to play." And that's probably a little mean.

White belts are now just a fashion choice - they're not for me. I'm not good enough to wear a white belt. I can't say golf has always been fashion forward - more like golf has been fashion inflicted. Look at the plaids of the 1970s. I suppose the Loudmouth brand is the plaid of the 1970s.

As an old guy....I can say this - Hard to go wrong with greys & khakis and black golf shoes or white/black saddle.
[/quote]

Plaid is used by every major clothing house nowadays from Ralph Lauren to Calvin green

[quote name='golfnhack' timestamp='1344977821' post='5471644']
This was the outfit (except he was about 50 lbs heavier than the guy in the photo).

Look... I don't have issues with the outfit. I don't have issues with shanks. I don't have issues with white TM clubs (I use a Burner driver).

I was commenting on the total package. The fact that after 1, 2, 3, and the FOUR shanked/fatted shots, he proceeded to hit another 1-handed shank/fat shot. He was CLEARLY a VERY pretentious guy.

Thanks not my style. I guess it is the style for some here. I thought situation AS A WHOLE was comical.
[/quote]

Look...I was on vacation, and it was the ONLY thing my wife packed for me for golf. She bought those clothes as a gift, just for the trip. And i PROMISED my teacher that I would work on the one-arm drills.

( edit )
50 lbs? That isn't nice!

[quote name='Another Steelers Fan' timestamp='1345039506' post='5475728']
Although I tend to find a spot at the range off to a side by myself, I'll drink a couple of beers at the range and, provided I'm far enough away from others, smoke a cigarette or two.

How would you all have me killed? I'm sure it would be slow and painful.
[/quote]

By slowly filling your lungs with tar!

Wait...

We have a player at our course that dresses in full Rickie gear on the range and course and is over 30, his hair is bleached and spiked straight up. He drives a tricked out hummer. On the other hand, one of the nicest guys you'll meet, his kids are happy little practicers and he sponsors almost every charity tournament at the course thru his company. I know he stopped shooting low scores when he got married, had kids, started a company that is very successful, and in the meantime paid off his home, became a contributor to the community, funded his kids college, etc and so on. I guess he realized he wouldn't make the tour, but then he got an email from golfsmith or tgw that told him you don't actually have to be on tour to wear and play whatever you want.

I think the biggest fashion mistake is mixing brown and black, I'd wear a hula skirt and pink shirt before brown shoes and a black belt or vice versa.

Callaway GBB Oban devotion
V Steel 13 s300 steel shaft
Adams prototype 18* vs Proto
Adams prototype 23* Aldila rip
Razr X tour 5-pw vs Proto
Cleveland cg14 48
Callaway md3 s grind 52
Vokey 58
Odyssey WH 7

[quote name='HitEmTrue' timestamp='1345043633' post='5476200']
Look...I was on vacation, and it was the ONLY thing my wife packed for me for golf. She bought those clothes as a gift, just for the trip. And i PROMISED my teacher that I would work on the one-arm drills.

( edit )
50 lbs? That isn't nice!
[/quote]
On behalf of those of us who found those pants to be comical, I apologize. Also, congratulations on finding a women you love that much. I do not love my wife enough to wear those pants if she bought them for me. I just told her that. She hit me.
Also, the 50 lbs is probably in extra ball weight. I would need a gianormous pair to wear those.
:)

Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5
Titleist 909F3 15.5
Nike VR-S Covert Tour #3
Mizuno MP-59
Miura Black Wedge Series 52,56,60
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2

[quote name='ew25950' timestamp='1344903572' post='5465232']
This topic needs pics. We could set up something similar to the popular "people of wal-mart" series.
[/quote]

X2

Taylormade Sim 2 Graphite design AD GP 6
Titleist TSI3 GD AD DI 7
Titleist 716 CB 3-9 Dynamic gold Tour issue S400
Titleist SM7 Vokey 46.50.54.60 DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron T22 fastback Murdered out

IG _Flagrant

[quote name='rustyputterguy' timestamp='1345050382' post='5476890']
[quote name='HitEmTrue' timestamp='1345043633' post='5476200']

( edit )
50 lbs? That isn't nice!
[/quote]
On behalf of those of us who found those pants to be comical, I apologize. Also, congratulations on finding a women you love that much. I do not love my wife enough to wear those pants if she bought them for me. I just told her that. She hit me.
Also, the 50 lbs is probably in extra ball weight. I would need a gianormous pair to wear those.
:)
[/quote]

Well, I normally would have been honest with her about the pants. But just that morning, she walked in and asked, "Do these jeans make me look fat?" And before I could think, I said, "those jeans?" Oh boy...

I only have two range asks.

1) keep it down. Not silent, but not crazy loud.
2). Lay off the picker. I drove one of those things for 5 years way back in the day. Balls get through, and it hurts like hell.

Otherwise, who am I to tell you how to enjoy yourself? (you poser :) )

G430 LST 9* Ventus TR Black 6S

Darkspeed 15* 1K Pro White 70S

G430 19* LIN-Q TSPX Black 85H F4

Black Ops 22* AV White 85S
ZX5 MkII (5-P) Modus3 105X
MG4 50,54,58 Modus3 125S

Futura 5.5 Weld Neck by Slighter

[quote name='Petethreeput' timestamp='1344945266' post='5468120']
Careful on the judgements, I have a friend who likes to hit shanks down the range when it is busy. As the ball rolls in front of the other players he says stuff like "Sorry... really sorry, I'm working on that." On the course he is a 1 HDCP who regularly shoots under par. It is funny to him, and really funny to those who know he's doing it on purpose.

I can't decide whats worse in these threads, those who dress to call attention to themselves, or those who care enough to say they are better than "that guy."
[/quote]

I agree. I have played against guys that just looked like they couldn't hit the ball then playing against them, they are getting up and down from everywhere and sinking putts left and right or just striping shots in super narrow channels. Never underestimate players or you can get hustled. Haha.

[quote name='onafriday' timestamp='1345084776' post='5480306']

2). Lay off the picker. I drove one of those things for 5 years way back in the day. Balls get through, and it hurts like hell.

[/quote]

Yup to both.

I would also add, don't walk too close behind someone at a stall, and if you have kids, make sure they don't, either. And if you have to take a call on your cellphone, walk away from the range. If someone keeps calling you and you don't want to answer, TURN OFF YOUR RINGER.

[quote name='MelloYello' timestamp='1344971971' post='5471016']
[quote name='1fairway2another' timestamp='1344968903' post='5470702']
op how many people wearing loudmouth have you walked up to and called a clown to their face?
[/quote]

There's no need to humiliate someone like that in public, however walking stereotypes are funny to the majority of society. A lot of humor comes at the expense of someone. If you can't take a joke then you'd better stay out of the comedy clubs! ;)

Did you NEVER laugh at Mr. Howell on Gilligan's Island?

Talking about how stupid some people make themselves look online amongst others who agree has the effect of not singling any one particular person out but yet giving everyone a laugh.

Jeez...lighten up everyone. Stop making everything a crusade.

Some people make themselves look stupid...deal with it.

And if you think I'm stupid for saying the above you are 100% not like me. People gotta be able to take a joke in life.
[/quote]

you nailed it. i cant belive that this kind of post would have people so peeved. lightin up a bit. we dont need to call evey single thing someone posts on the mat EVEY time. its the same old thing over and over.

if we saw a guy playing a pick up game of basket ball in the school yard wearing his full lakers kobe bryant uniform ( sneakers socks shorts jearsy arm band ) i think we would all agree that would merit some kind of funny comment. or how about a guy driving his car around town in full nascar gear. you have to admit that stuff is kind of funny and obnoxious at the same time.

[/quote]

I go to a range that (probably like most) is joined to a course and has fluctuating times of demand.
Mostly, I'll go when it is empty, and I will go to the furthest left stall.
Invariably, some dic*head will show up 3 minutes later and park himself in the next stall. The same dh will then start doing jumping jacks for 5 minutes to warm up. And then, he can't hit it out of his hat anyway and thinks the 2 large buckets are to be fired like an uzzi. After the 3rd time in a week I finally had enough and told him to go to the other end of the range so that he would not be a nuisance. He went, and has not shown up again when I'm there.

Some people were raised by ravens I think. If they are not squaking, they are shi**ing.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

[quote name='Quasimoto' timestamp='1345171119' post='5486368']
After the 3rd time in a week I finally had enough and told him to go to the other end of the range so that he would not be a nuisance. He went, and has not shown up again when I'm there.

Some people were raised by ravens I think. If they are not squaking, they are shi**ing.
[/quote]
You told him to move and he's the bad guy?

Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5
Titleist 909F3 15.5
Nike VR-S Covert Tour #3
Mizuno MP-59

[quote name='Dire Wolf' timestamp='1345120763' post='5481664']

[/quote]

Yup to both.

I would also add, don't walk too close behind someone at a stall, and if you have kids, make sure they don't, either. And if you have to take a call on your cellphone, walk away from the range. If someone keeps calling you and you don't want to answer, TURN OFF YOUR RINGER.
[/quote]

What gets me riled are the ones with the blue tooth turned on that keep talking as they hit balls.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

[quote name='Quasimoto' timestamp='1345171119' post='5486368']

[/quote]

I go to a range that (probably like most) is joined to a course and has fluctuating times of demand.
Mostly, I'll go when it is empty, and I will go to the furthest left stall.
Invariably, some dic*head will show up 3 minutes later and park himself in the next stall. The same dh will then start doing jumping jacks for 5 minutes to warm up. And then, he can't hit it out of his hat anyway and thinks the 2 large buckets are to be fired like an uzzi. After the 3rd time in a week I finally had enough and told him to go to the other end of the range so that he would not be a nuisance. He went, and has not shown up again when I'm there.

[/quote]

HA! Great post. Very familiar with THAT guy. I call such people "albatrosses". You just can't get rid of them. They show up all the time and they keep coming back.

I've become pretty good at tuning out distractions but there are two "albatrosses" in particular at my range. I've named one "Gaspy" and the other "Spitty".

Gaspy is a short guy who constantly asks me (in broken english so I can barely understand what he's saying) about what he's doing wrong and how I do this and that. That's fine, he's a nice enough guy, but he has this thing where he exhales violently after every shot. I'm worried he's going to bust an ab muscle or something.

Spitty is much more annoying. Spitty, like Gaspy, always seems to set up in the stall next to me, even when the 30-stall range is virtually empty. Spitty punctuates every other shot by "hocking a lunger" as he watches the ball fly. He does this regardless of the wind conditions, which makes for some interesting dynamics when he's upwind of me.

It turns out, Gaspy and Spitty know each other so when they both show up at the same time, it's a gasping, spitting, yammering love fest all around me!

[quote]
What gets me riled are the ones with the blue tooth turned on that keep talking as they hit balls.[/quote]

I hate such people with the fire of a thousand suns.

Forgot to mention...the guy/gal that takes 50+ practice swings without a ball, but clips the rubber tee on the mat every time.

FLICK...FLICK....FLICK...FLICK...FLICK....FLICK...FLICK...FLICK....FLICK...FLICK...FLICK....FLICK... FLICK...FLICK....FLICK...FLICK...FLICK....FLICK...FLICK...FLICK....FLICK...FLICK...FLICK....FLICK... FLICK...FLICK....FLICK...FLICK...FLICK....FLICK...FLICK...FLICK....FLICK...FLICK...FLICK....FLICK... FLICK...FLICK....FLICK...FLICK...FLICK....FLICK...FLICK...FLICK....FLICK...FLICK...FLICK....FLICK... FLICK...FLICK....FLICK...FLICK...FLICK....FLICK...FLICK...FLICK....FLICK...FLICK...FLICK....FLICK......

I love golf and I love this website and I do not have a problem with this thread as I love to joke around and find humor in most everything just as much as others. However, some of the posts got me ta thinking. I've read many a thread on here about how "hackers" aren't welcome on the course as they slow down play and are basically a nuisance. Yet, like this thread has morphed into, "hackers" aren't really welcomed on the driving range either because of their annoying beginner habits or overall inability to hit a ball respectably. According to threads of this nature, it's no wonder to me why golf is dying a very slow death, it's expensive, time consumer and UNWELCOMING to beginners. If I were a beginner on this site, trying to better my game I would probably just quit to save face and ridicule, all behind my back of course. We all learned how to golf at some point, we all have probably been subject to ridicule too, whether we were aware of it or not. But that doesn't mean we have to pass the buck on. So some guys were loud clothes and suck. So what? If some can't get passed that fact I believe it says more about them than the "hack" as he is apparently called.

I use golf clubs, 14 to be exact!  Mostly my putter though!

[quote name='tgsevers81' timestamp='1345218376' post='5489154'] UNWELCOMING to beginners[/quote]

Nice post.

And for the record, hackers aren't slow. Slow people are slow. Inconsiderate people are inconsiderate. Condescending people are condescending. And rude people are rude. Rarely do I find their handicap to have anything to do with it.

[quote name='Solutions Etcetera' timestamp='1345221718' post='5489506']
[quote name='tgsevers81' timestamp='1345218376' post='5489154'] UNWELCOMING to beginners[/quote]

Nice post.

And for the record, hackers aren't slow. Slow people are slow. Inconsiderate people are inconsiderate. Condescending people are condescending. And rude people are rude. Rarely do I find their handicap to have anything to do with it.
[/quote]
Very well said!!

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1345221780' post='5489512']
[quote name='Solutions Etcetera' timestamp='1345221718' post='5489506']

Nice post.

[/quote]
Very well said!!
[/quote]

I agree with you 100%, well said. Some of the best golfers I've been paired with were comlpete a$$holes and some the nicest people are the worst golfers. Though, that is not always the case.

I use golf clubs, 14 to be exact!  Mostly my putter though!

i had a guy like that right next to me at the range last night.
all whites and some stripes of neon greens and yellows.
i couldnt give a crap about what he was wearing obviously as i see plenty of them on courses.
about 5 minutes later, i found out that his appearance was quite distracting and annoying.
it felt like i was at a night club.

There's a saying from the world of graphic design that goes... "Not to design is to design by default."

Basically even people who wear plain khakis and plain polos and plain shoes and plain hats etc. have designed their "look" as much as Rickie Fowler has designed his "look". By selecting plain, muted clothing people are still communicating to the world through their fashion as much as a Rickie Fowler is communicating through his fashion. They are both attempting to fit into a group, communicate a message about personality, etc. Just because you wear muted stuff doesn't mean you are not "playing dress up" as much as Rickie Fowler. Everything is designed even if you don't think it is because that's the only way it can exist.

...now go select a pair of pants, shirt and hat from your closet.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='finalist' timestamp='1345224213' post='5489750']
...now go select a pair of pants, shirt and hat from your closet.
[/quote]
My wife does that for me. She's trying to make me fit into a group I don't belong in... :(

Great points. :)

Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5
Titleist 909F3 15.5
Nike VR-S Covert Tour #3
Mizuno MP-59

I was at the range today.
Lefty hitting in front of me had bright orange stylish shirt, and all the gear bells and whistles. New model Titleist irons, TM rbz driver and woods, vokey white satin wedges. Cameron putter. He probably shoots in the mid to high eighties if his swing is any indication. he looked about 26.

I did not think anything about him til I saw this thread.

Admittedly, being 1:30 on a Friday, I wasn't surprised at the many older men and the out of work fifty year olds who all dressed rather Walmarty it must be said. One of them had a really really bright red TM bag and I remember thinking it was a fake. But I know he bought it cause it was priced low, not because he liked the ridiculous color because it drew attention to him. He has an awful looking swing.

yeah

[quote name='rustyputterguy' timestamp='1344890588' post='5463934']
I saw that guys brother yesterday, but a Rickie Fowler fan. All orange, including flat brimmed hat, puma shirt, puma pants, puma shoes.... white shoes with orange accents and a white belt.. He was probably in his late 30's. Not a great look.
[/quote]

Woah, I saw the same guy at the course yesterday too.....Orange shorts, orange shirt, flat brimmed orange puma hat :swoon: He was making the turn so I don't know if he could play or not but I got a good chuckle.