"That" guy on the range

Lol. Scary thing is is that I would not put that post past people. I've seen it just that bad and worse.

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='kitsoasis' timestamp='1346141260' post='5547549']
[quote name='dac' timestamp='1346134274' post='5547401']
i don't care about "that guy" on the range, but lord help me, if you want to chat and talk it up on the range you should go to a cafe or something. i hate talkative/loud people on the range.
[/quote]

A loud talkative guy on the range with a bluetooth headset. The holy grail.
[/quote]

have experienced this, too. i am blessed.

[quote name='Darklinq' timestamp='1346169624' post='5549285']
@dac
couldn't agree more!!!
Who cares what they wear, aslong as they aren't holding me up! lol
[/quote]

seriously. i'd be happy to have a fowler-look-a-like next to me hitting balls as long as he's quietly going about his business.

A few weeks ago I was at the range, and this guy strode in... dressed completely in white, white RBZ staff bag (on a trolley no less, despite the car park being literally 50 yards away), RBZ woods, white oakley sunglasses (despite it being nighttime).

Rather pleasingly, he decided to take the bay next to me. He gave me the obligatory nod, said hello and asked what I was working on. Mid sentence he put his index finger up, said "sorry I need to take this", pulled his phone from his pocket and proceeded to start a conversation about where he was playing the next day and at what time... About 30 seconds in to his conversation his phone rang!!!!!! I laughed, shook my head and carried on hitting balls as he sheepishly took the call (I like to think his mum asked him to pick up some milk on the way home).

Anyway, he then proceeded to pull a weighted club out of his bag to warm up. His swing was abysmal, and I thought to myself "this is going to be interesting". He then began to engage in more small talk. I told him that I was nearly done, and was working on a couple of technical things. Out of the blue he asked me if I would like to take him on in a driving contest, £5 per ball. I said I only had two balls left, but yes I'd be up for it. I went first, pulled out my driver and hit a pretty nice one, nothing too great, but good enough. "not bad" was his response. He got out his RBZ driver, and after his 2 minute pre shot routine proceeded to sky it, hitting the roof of the bay, nearly decapitating himself with the ball as it ricocheted back towards him. "Ok ok, double or quits"... I agreed, and said he could go first. This time his pre shot routine was nearer 3 minutes, the result almost exactly the same apart from this time he managed to avoid the roof, but created a crater near the 50y sign instead. I toyed with the idea of pulling out my putter, but thought that would be too mean, so I hit another driver.

As I was packing up my bag he tried to give me the £10. I refused to take it, and told him to put it towards a course of lessons. Haven't seen him since!

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

LOL!! You have found The Holy Grail of "that guy". Everything from braggart to complete chop to runway model.

The thread should end with that one!!

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

[quote name='rustyputterguy' timestamp='1344890588' post='5463934']
I saw that guys brother yesterday, but a Rickie Fowler fan. All orange, including flat brimmed hat, puma shirt, puma pants, puma shoes.... white shoes with orange accents and a white belt.. He was probably in his late 30's. Not a great look.
[/quote] I saw this guys twin on saturday, not a great look at all.

And spitting constantly

i don't care about "that guy" on the range, but lord help me, if you want to chat and talk it up on the range you should go to a cafe or something. i hate talkative/loud people on the range.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

Wow.

[quote name='MarkFromTheUK' timestamp='1346196424' post='5551493']
A few weeks ago I was at the range, and this guy strode in... dressed completely in white, white RBZ staff bag (on a trolley no less, despite the car park being literally 50 yards away), RBZ woods, white oakley sunglasses (despite it being nighttime).

Rather pleasingly, he decided to take the bay next to me. He gave me the obligatory nod, said hello and asked what I was working on. Mid sentence he put his index finger up, said "sorry I need to take this", pulled his phone from his pocket and proceeded to start a conversation about where he was playing the next day and at what time... About 30 seconds in to his conversation his phone rang!!!!!! I laughed, shook my head and carried on hitting balls as he sheepishly took the call (I like to think his mum asked him to pick up some milk on the way home).

Anyway, he then proceeded to pull a weighted club out of his bag to warm up. His swing was abysmal, and I thought to myself "this is going to be interesting". He then began to engage in more small talk. I told him that I was nearly done, and was working on a couple of technical things. Out of the blue he asked me if I would like to take him on in a driving contest, £5 per ball. I said I only had two balls left, but yes I'd be up for it. I went first, pulled out my driver and hit a pretty nice one, nothing too great, but good enough. "not bad" was his response. He got out his RBZ driver, and after his 2 minute pre shot routine proceeded to sky it, hitting the roof of the bay, nearly decapitating himself with the ball as it ricocheted back towards him. "Ok ok, double or quits"... I agreed, and said he could go first. This time his pre shot routine was nearer 3 minutes, the result almost exactly the same apart from this time he managed to avoid the roof, but created a crater near the 50y sign instead. I toyed with the idea of pulling out my putter, but thought that would be too mean, so I hit another driver.

As I was packing up my bag he tried to give me the £10. I refused to take it, and told him to put it towards a course of lessons. Haven't seen him since!
[/quote]

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

[quote name='Blades Runner' timestamp='1346212682' post='5552971']
And spitting constantly

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

I had one guy next to me one day that would spit before every ball! Most annoying thing ever!

Pure wrx. I especially love the guy who made another guy move on the range instead of moving himself.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

[quote name='rockinar' timestamp='1346482887' post='5569859']
Everyone on here making fun of "Ricky Fowler Guy" are the same guys who were wearing black pants, red shirt, black Nike hat with a steel shafted Great Big Bertha driver in 1998.
[/quote]

Black and red are about a million times better than orange and white.

Black and red went together great long before Tiger was a twinkle in his poppa's eye.

[quote name='MarkFromTheUK' timestamp='1346196424' post='5551493']

[/quote]

Mark that is pure magic!

love it

In all of this talk about "that guy" we tend to forget about the really great people.
There is this guy where I hit balls that prefers a quiet spot to work on his swing. I often work on my own stuff a stall or 2 away from him.
I have only spoken with him once, and that was several weeks ago when he inquired about my on course time, and if I played events.
As it turned out the fellow rarely played the course, mostly practiced due to time constraints.
He has a nice smooth, good tempo swing, and the ball really has a soft sound off his irons.
So today we say hi, and continue to hit balls.
Just as he is finished, and I am in between shots he asks if I would like the last ball he has, because he always wants to leave the practice session on a good shot.
That's some good attitude and class right there.
I said let me know when you want to play, I'll be happy to go out.
World needs more like this.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

What distracting, naff, attire. I sure don't need this guy taking the stall next to mine at the range.

That shiny hunk of metal just causes a reflection that gets me right in the eyes.

watson_1440033c.jpg

Brand new to this site and didn't realise how many bitches there were in golf. Good to see they are well outnumbered by the majority though!

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='ScottyMCN' timestamp='1346776410' post='5584681']
I'm going to add a category to "that" guy. That is the guy wearing a Titleist hat despite not having a single Titleist club in his bag. And if you are wearing any hat of an equipment manufacturer you'd better know that people are watching you swing a club.
[/quote]

Is it OK if I use a Pro V1 or vokey wedges though? They might not see those at the range, but hopefully it will be 'approved range attire'

[quote name='wrmiller' timestamp='1344913273' post='5466702']
The other shoe: No fancy clothes, but I took my bag full of i20 clubs (well, the putter is a SC) to the range on Sat to get a feel for the new KBS Tour shafts I had stuck in them last weekend. Walked past a couple of young studs (late 20s?) who were looking at my bag and snickering at each other.

So I warmed up hitting about 10 balls onto the green at 148, all but one landing on the green and I think 3 or 4 were inside 10'.

Then I proceeded to hit some balls at the 220 yd green, landing a few on it, with most within 10' either way.

Then I took driver and started putting balls out the end of the driving range.

I left about half the bucket there, telling the 'boys' (who were chunk'n and top'n shots everywhere) that they were welcome to some additional practice.

Not exactly being nice, but hey, they started it! ;)
[/quote]

Ooooooooh! You are so cool! ;-)

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Driver: Yonex Ezone 380 9*
Fairway: Tour Edge cb5 15*
Hybrid: Tour Edge cb5 19*
Irons: Hogan Ft Worth (15) 21*, 25*, 29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45*
Wedges: Hogan TK 49*, 53*, 57*
Putter: 2007 Odyssey Black #1
Bag: PING Hoofer[/font]

[quote name='Mcgeeno' timestamp='1346776997' post='5584757']
I'm going to add a category to "that" guy. That is the guy wearing a Titleist hat despite not having a single Titleist club in his bag. And if you are wearing any hat of an equipment manufacturer you'd better know that people are watching you swing a club.
[/quote]

Is it OK if I use a Pro V1 or vokey wedges though? They might not see those at the range, but hopefully it will be 'approved range attire'
[/quote]

I think Vokey's count.

[/quote]

Must be a hack range is they notice Titleist hats.

[quote name='Mcgeeno' timestamp='1346776997' post='5584757']
[/quote]

[/quote]
I have a titleist hat with a vokey patch on the side, just to cover that .

[quote name='Blades Runner' timestamp='1346797241' post='5587001']
[/quote]

Must be a hack range is they notice Titleist hats.
[/quote]

Yeah, the hackers chunking shots inches in front of them with their set of packaged clubs look equally as ridiculous in a Titleist hat as a 40 year old man dressed in Rickie Fowler Sunday orange.

[quote name='ScottyMCN' timestamp='1346776410' post='5584681'] I'm going to add a category to "that" guy. That is the guy wearing a Titleist hat despite not having a single Titleist club in his bag. And if you are wearing any hat of an equipment manufacturer you'd better know that people are watching you swing a club. [/quote]

It's just as sad to wear a hat of your club manufacturer. But not as sad as judging people by what they wear to the range.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]