2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Moderator Review: Graphite Design Tour AD BB 6S -- the Blue Bullet

The Graphite Design Tour BB 6S -- the Blue Bullet

I had not been in a Graphite Design driver shaft for years, really back to the YS-6 variants. Discovered years ago that I do better with high launch, low spin characteristics of shafts like the Matrix Altus so I stayed in that category for years now.

Easyyy had been singing the praises of the Graphite Design Tour AD DI for many months, so when I had the opportunity I requested one in my i20 driver. Near perfect combination for me. :yahoo: I can control the height of my ball into the wind, and this setup is as long as anything I've hit. Excellence.

HipCheck, our resident equipment tempter, asked if I'd review GD's latest offering -- the Tour AD BB. Sure, why not? I thought it'd be a good opportunity to compare the two. So I installed one in an i20 head with the same specs so we'd be looking at apple to apples: 6S 9.5*, 45", D3. ( 6S refers to weight & flex, meaning 60 gram range Stiff. The AD BB is offered in various flexes in weights from 55 grams up to 85 grams, so they have you covered.)

The difference between the two shafts was quite evident to my eye on the range. Ball flight was a bit lower, spin was up a skosh. The magnitude of the changes was on the level of a tweak more than a wholesale change. This is a good thing, because the DI is a performer. As far as feel, I can tell there's a difference but it's so small as to make it difficult to describe. DoyaknowwhatImean? I could reach for adjectives to label the difference in feel, but that would be disingenuous. All of which is a good thing because I've grown accustomed to Graphite Design's characteristic communication of loading the shaft. I can describe what I mean by feeling a shaft load: borrow your friend's driver that has a stock shaft one flex or more below what you play -- that's the feel, just to a much lesser extent.

On the course, for me, I'm presented with an unanticipated problem in this comparison. The i20 head is a lower spinning/launching head than comparably marked current drivers. As I'm watching my ball flight on the course I'm coming to the realization that the high launch/low spin characteristics of the AD-DI are just barely keeping me in that 9.5* loft. Changing over to the Blue Bullet, my average ballflight is a tad lower than optimal for me. Too low ball fight hits the ground too early, and we know that the ground scrubs off speed a lot faster than air does -- hence, shorter overall distance. So I'm not getting the apples to apples comparison I hoped for. I really need a 10* or 10.5* with this shaft. My bad.

Enter my buddy Tom. Tom is part of my regular Friday group. He's a middle linebacker built, short-swinging, hands-way-ahead-at-impact shaft bender. He puts a lot more spin on his ball than I do, especially on his misses. Tom picks a driver & keeps it, based solely on performance. His current driver is Ping's venerable Rapture V2 with the Diamana Blue in Stiff. This is a great combination for comparison: great head, great shaft.

First try, Tom hits a baby cut line drive that rolls to a stop just shy of 300 yards as measured by my SkyCaddie SGX's Ball Mark feature. His eyes get as big as saucers with a wide grin spreading across his face, "Wow, he he, I could get used to this!" We're typically neck & neck on length -- I beat him on optimized spin, center hits with a draw; he bests me on swingspeed & when his spin is down. But today, Tom's fades are 20+ yards past me. All day. I'm pissed. :angry22:

I grab the AD-BB a few times for more comparison drives, and each time my little draw turns into a little lower fade. I'm not sure why, perhaps the BB driver's face is a bit more closed(?). My feeling is that it's the difference in the shafts, but that doesn't necessarily make sense. I'm not any shorter with the BB, I'm just not any longer either. Committing to a fade and adjust my setup accordingly, I feel I'd get better results. But that's a the polar opposite of what I'm trying to accomplish with my swing these days. Again, my bad.

For the next three rounds, I'm watching Tom bust these Blue Bullet bulletts out well past his gamer. The Diamana Blue has met its match.c0221.gif The V2 is no mo'. We might have stumbled onto a match made in heaven, i20/Ad-BB. And I'm getting poorer. angrysmokinearssmiley-1.gif

One thing I can always count on from Tom is the random push cut drive that puts him wayyyy right, often OB. The greatemblem_money.png equalizer. Well, no more. The AD-BB has turned his wild rights into mild right. OBs are now in play, way rights are now right rough. Why? Less evil spin on those misses. This is costing me one or two freebie holes a round.

Tom begs to take i20/Blue Bullet on his trip to Kiawah. I relent, happy to take a week off from teebox humiliation. He calls me while out there, but I ignore the calls letting them go to voicemail. I knew it had to be a Guess how far I hit it ... ? call. Delete message.

I finally hear the stories upon his return. 1) He's outdriving a pro buddy of his, who's asking to take a closer look at that driver, and 2) He drives the green on a 345 yard Par 4 out there! Had to be a mighty gust of wind(?) ... or a bounce off a sprinkler head(?) ... Tom just grins. I've created a monster. facepalm.gif

So what do I take away from this?

• First, the quality of the Tour AD-DI is maintained in the Tour AD-BB without doubt.
  • Second, matched to the player/head/loft this Blue Bullet is indeed a bullett blaster.
  • Third, hitting one to three clubs more into greens can be costly. shamesmileyf.gif

Might be time for me to pony up for my own i20/AD-BB in 10.5* to see if I can win some of my money back.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely lost interest in this right away. I need a driver shaft to up the spin a minimum of 2 skoshes! (cool)

Thanks for the great honest review. nice to know that's working for someone! It's is a shame that it didn't work out for you because that shaft looks awesome in that head! I like the color of the DI (and i actually LOVE the feel/load of the DI) but i really like the blue.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Great review....I loved the DI and after this, I want to try the BB

But for now, I will be testing the 'silver bullett' --> Coors Light :) . Great beer!

Have a great weekend everyone

[u][b]Bag:[/b][/u]

[i]Taylormade M1 440 9.5* Rogue Silver 125MSI TX[/i]
[i]Taylormade M1 HL Rogue Silver 80X[/i]
[i]Titleist 818 H2 21* Tour Green 85TX[/i]
[i]Titleist 716 TMB 4-W DG TI X100[/i]
[i]Vokey TVD K 54*, 60* DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M 35''[/i]

Nice review. I have been intrigued by this shaft but haven't jump on one yet. Might have to start looking at one again.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

Thanks for the review. I LOVE the blue much better than the orange but I would definitely have to put that shaft in a 10.5* head for sure. The ad-di is a monster so I bet when set up correctly this shaft is a monster as well!

TM R1 w/ Fubuki Alpha Adams XTD ti 14.5 w/ red tie Adams Pnt 20* w/ Matrix Altus Nike Covert forged 4-Gw w/ Nippon SPB Betti BB54 Skull & Crossbones Vokey TVD M 54* & Scratch DW 58*

I also play this shaft and have a BB 7x in my launch lab...this shaft is very, very nice and worth the money. I hit huge bombs and when it's windy the shaft helps me keep a piercing flight. It brought my ball down a litte; I had a DI shaft originally and would hit this skyscrapers. I still hit a nice high ball but it's manageable now and helps my roll out. It also looks ver sick with my matte black head.

Thanks for the great review Todd. I love my DI driver shaft and DJ fairways. I am pretty sure I am with you on the blue though....

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

i can add to this topic in a couple days, received my 910 d2 10.5/ad bb 7s on thursday, havent had a chance to hit yet, probably on monday. current gamer is cobra zl 10.5/ad di 7s. i played a d2 10.5/stock kai li x flex before for a good 8-10 rounds and it was the longest driver i ever hit, i didnt have the ad di yet at that time but played a motore f1 75 x flex in the zl head. the zl was much better dispersion wise and i sold the 910 to a buddy even though i drove a 335 yard green with the 910. the ZL/ad di is a perfect pairing, straight long high bombs. i dont like the bulge and roll of the new cobra stuff. i can hit the ZL low on the face and get a screaming runner, with the ZLE it still goes high due to the dynamics. so far the ad di/zl is the best combo ive hit and has been in the bag since last year june averaging 270-280 off the tee with a fair share of 300 yard-ers. it just wants to go straight unless you put a really really ugly swing on it. this combo is a harrison shotmaker without the shotmaker. cant wait to hit the new 910.

G25 10.5 kiyoshi purple 75
G25 3w kiyoshi purple 85
G25 5w kiyoshi purple 85
S55 3-p kbs tour
52/58 anser kbs tour
Golo 7 cb

[quote name='KascoPro' timestamp='1346514295' post='5570825']
Thanks for the great review Todd. I love my DI driver shaft and DJ fairways. I am pretty sure I am with you on the blue though....
[/quote]

It's been a [i]looong[/i] time since I've seen the kind of real/measured yardage gains that Tom is getting with this new setup, Zach. It's killing me! :vava:

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

[quote name='Ldubbzie21' timestamp='1346519921' post='5571109']
I have this shaftfaim a 9.5° Razr fit udesign.

I do like it a lot as it is a stable shaft that helps my misses. I am hitting it low though.

I'm thinking about getting rid of it because it's so low, but it's a difficult choice because I do love the feel!!!!
[/quote]

a 10.5 head will probably due justice

ad bb 7s/910 d2 10.5 with 9 gram weight, this thing is a monster. my gamer towards the end of last year and all this year has been a cobra zl 10.5/ ad di 7s with 10 gram weight. average 275 280 with the cobra with a fair share of 300 yarders. flight is kinda high i guess but it performs. just got d2 thursday and was able to take it out today. wow does this thing perform. flight is lower than the ad di for sure but the ball just stays in the air forever. feel is similar, the bb maybe feels a touch stiffer. 3 drives today i hit over 300 verified by cart gps and skycaddie. 304,308 and 317. i actually lost sight of all 3, i knew they were in the fairway due to the direction but im usually pretty good at following the ball yet lost sight of all 3 of these drives. both the ad di and ad bb are pretty stiff for S flex, im not sure of my swing speed but distance wise says X should be fine but i think an X would be to much with these shafts.

i like the sound and feel of the ZL better, actually tried to order the BB from cobra first and was told they dont carry it and dont know if/when they might so even though titleist doesnt have this shaft on their custom list they were more than happy to fulfill the order. i will defiantly get used to the feel and sound of the 910 if i keep hitting 300 yarders with it

with a good swing, just like the DI, the BB just wants to go straight. not sure if its the lower spin of the DI but sometimes you can watch the ball fight to stay online and knuckle a little bit in the air.

im gonna have to get on a launch monitor somewhere to check spin and launch between the 2 drivers. im just taking a guess but if the BB is supposed to spin a little more than the DI yet launch lower, maybe the spin is whats keeping it in the air longer with the lower flight. it does launch lower but it seem to stay in the air longer. sometime in the next few weeks when i play this crappy muni that turns out 5.0 - 5.5 hour rounds, ill take both drivers and compare head to head as i will have the pleasure of playing 2 balls due to how clogged the course gets at certain times

G25 10.5 kiyoshi purple 75
G25 3w kiyoshi purple 85
G25 5w kiyoshi purple 85
S55 3-p kbs tour
52/58 anser kbs tour
Golo 7 cb

Titleist was able to get the BB? How much extra was it for the BB? I know the DI was around $150 for an upgrade, so I'd think the BB is similar.

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

This shaft is definitely on my hot list, thanks for the review!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Just tested almost the entire line of 913s. The BB will be offered as a stock option (with up charge) here in Asia. Too bad the rep only had a BB-5 in R-flex. Can't really tell how the shaft performs with the new driver head.

Cobra F9+ 10.5* Tensei CK pro White 60tx
Callaway XR16 pro 16* GD GP-6x
Epon DI 20* GD DI-105x hb
Cora Forged CB/MB 4-Pw KBS $-Taper 120
Vokey 54* DG, 60* Modus 130
Mills Heritage

CC where abouts are you in Asia? I just purchased the BB-5 in S-flex from Golf Shaft Asia (i am based in Malaysia) and replaced it with a PX Black 6.0 last night into my i20 9.5 Deg Head. I am trying to get to the range tonight to give it a hit so here's hoping. To be honest the Black PX was working very well and is the most consistant driver i have ever had, just always looking for something better like everyone else, If it doesnt work out will change it back.

[quote name='steedboy' timestamp='1346834067' post='5589627']
CC where abouts are you in Asia? I just purchased the BB-5 in S-flex from Golf Shaft Asia (i am based in Malaysia) and replaced it with a PX Black 6.0 last night into my i20 9.5 Deg Head. I am trying to get to the range tonight to give it a hit so here's hoping. To be honest the Black PX was working very well and is the most consistant driver i have ever had, just always looking for something better like everyone else, If it doesnt work out will change it back.
[/quote]

Steedboy, I'm in the backwoods here in Alor Setar. You got it from Anne?

The Titleist rep brought along a BB-6 in SR flex today, got to hit it with 913 D3 head. I had a DI-6 in S-flex that was tipped about an inch and the BB in SR flex was playing pretty close to that in terms of flex. BB still launch the ball high but with a much flatter flight. I was getting very little roll out with the DI and was getting killed hitting into the wind. High hooks all day long with the DI.

BB is a different beast. Pretty tight dispersion even with the SR flex and I got good roll out with it. Ball seems to stay in the air a little longer. Tip feels a bit stiffer compared to the DI but still plays smooth. I think I'm gonna pair a 913 up with a BB7.

Let me know how's the shaft working out for you. Need some feedback.

Cobra F9+ 10.5* Tensei CK pro White 60tx
Callaway XR16 pro 16* GD GP-6x
Epon DI 20* GD DI-105x hb
Cora Forged CB/MB 4-Pw KBS $-Taper 120
Vokey 54* DG, 60* Modus 130
Mills Heritage

Yesterday I had a wonderful time/experience fitting some of the best players in the country and was really impressed with this shaft. All the high end stuff was hit and I got to take a few swipes with everything on TrackMan. I came away most impressed with Matrix M series, Tour AD BB and the new Grafalloy ProLaunch Red with SpeedCoat.

BB definitely a little lower launching and spinning than DI. Did you say you hit BB lower launch but spin was up?

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

A nice eloquent piece!

I just switched to the GD TOUR DI-5 this season. Compare to my longer shaft last season, I didn't loose any distance. Great penetrating trajectory. The more I am feeling the shaft load, the more confident I became. I am still learning to love it and give it 100%, but, even at 90% speed, it is awesome! No wonder Tiger is using it.

Any ideas why this shaft is so slow in market penetration? There are not very many of these in play by non-professionals. I would like to play one, but cannot find enough info considering the shaft is Over 6 months old. In the 913 I wanna game this shaft but am hesitant, info is greatly appreciated.

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1346860228' post='5590807']
Yesterday I had a wonderful time/experience fitting some of the best players in the country and was really impressed with this shaft. All the high end stuff was hit and I got to take a few swipes with everything on TrackMan. I came away most impressed with Matrix M series, Tour AD BB and the new Grafalloy ProLaunch Red with SpeedCoat.

BB definitely a little lower launching and spinning than DI. Did you say you hit BB lower launch but spin was up?
[/quote]

The Motore TS seems to be the hot shaft right now and I thought the BB would give it some competition.. Did you have a chance to hit these side by side?

Thanks OP for the review!
I received my BB6S two weeks ago installed it in my 9.5*D3.....compared to my AD DI7S I found it to be a nice low to mid launch and quite a bit lower spinning with the same great feel. This past weekend I installed the BB in the RAZR Fit I recently won in a tourny and oh boy its a beast! The RAZR Fit is 9.5* but its actual loft is 10.6* which gave me the extra height I was looking for.....I tend to be a high launch high spin driver of the ball and the BB has totally solved that issue! The RAZR fit has to be one of the longest straightest drivers I ever hit and combo'd with the BB i'd have to say it will be my gamer for a while!
Even at the range on a windy day the ball just pierced thru the air and kept on running.....im 5'6" 145lbs and i'll take 290 off the tee with no complaints! Now I think i'm gonna chopp down my DI7S in toss it in my 910F.....anyone have good results with this combo?

10.5* (@ 9*) Stealth+ w/ Diamana ZF 60s - 44.75"
16* (@ 15.6*) Tour Issue SLDR Mini w/ Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7s - 42.5" 
18* Tour Issue Stealth w/ Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s - 41.75"
ZX7 4-pw w/ Modus 120s
SM9 50 08F w/ Modus 120s

SM9 55 13D w/ Modus 120s
33" Piretti Cottonwood 2

TP5x

[quote name='darylepage' timestamp='1346901389' post='5594593']
Great review, I'm curious how this shaft compared to the Mitsubishi Fubuki. I love the X-Stiff Fubuki in a 9.5 D2 several drives in the 320 Range averaging 295 with 5-10 yards of fade. Think I could add some yardage with the BB?
[/quote]

Which Fubuki? In general, the Fubuki is more like the Ad DI, high launch, low spine shaft. I have better dispersion with the Fubuki Alpha and K series, than the AD DI. Haven't tried the BB.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

• 2 weeks later...

Stratton switched from his i20 w/ Oban PRP shaft setup to the Tour AD BB-6 shaft in a PING Anser 8.5 head. His normal day setup is the driver set + or 9.0 degrees. He gets a great launch angle with his spin numbers just a shade over 2000rpm.

On windy days, he can adjust the head to neutral 8.5 degrees and his launch is low with a TON of roll. He is consistently longer with this driver over his i20, but the biggest difference is the difference or reduction of side spin. This setup is much more controllable and is very easy for him to work the ball both ways off the tee. In particular, he can now hit a fade that doesn't lose a ton of distance. With his i20 Oban, he could play a fade, but the back spin was MUCH greater causing a significant distance loss when playing a fade. Fades with this shaft / head are rolling out instead of sticking in the fairway. Stratton customized his head and grip to match the BB shaft.

BB3_zpscfb4ae07.jpg

BB1_zps46c04e8c.jpg

Stratton switched from his i20 w/ Oban PRP shaft setup to the Tour AD BB-6 shaft in a PING Anser 8.5 head. His normal day setup is the driver set + or 9.0 degrees. He gets a great launch angle with his spin numbers just a shade over 2000rpm.

On windy days, he can adjust the head to neutral 8.5 degrees and his launch is low with a TON of roll. He is consistently longer with this driver over his i20, but the biggest difference is the difference or reduction of side spin. This setup is much more controllable and is very easy for him to work the ball both ways off the tee. In particular, he can now hit a fade that doesn't lose a ton of distance. With his i20 Oban, he could play a fade, but the back spin was MUCH greater causing a significant distance loss when playing a fade. Fades with this shaft / head are rolling out instead of sticking in the fairway. Stratton customized his head and grip to match the BB shaft.

BB3_zpscfb4ae07.jpg

BB1_zps46c04e8c.jpg

great looking setup! i broke down and hit the anser the other day on trackman and i was very impressed. one of the best feeling/sounding that i have hit in a while.

how much do you contribute the side axis spin reduction to the shaft vs. the head. to me the anser head is a straight driver. i am also aware that certain shafts kill side axis spin. if you pair the two together - the powerfade is a hard shot to beat. for me that was a ft tour/gd tour ad di 7x. the tour ad bb would be even better.