New Members to the Forum (Talk to VP & Team at Callaway)

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Harry and Chad,

Great to see both of you actively posting on the board. I actually paged through all 9 pages on this thread and I am surprised that no one has brought up the topic of the Ben Hogan line.

Will the Ben Hogan line ever be resurrected by Callaway? I grew up playing Hogan hand-me-downs from my dad and played them up until 2001 (I still have the the '99 Apexes as a backup set) when the brand really went downhill (the 50th anniversary irons were awful IMHO). I made the switch to Titleist 681s and have been using them until now.

I need to switch to conforming irons for 2014 and was planning on going with the Titleist 680s since those have been tested to be conforming and are the closest in look and feel to the 681s. I would love to put the Ben Hogan brand back in my bag if you were to bring them out again.

My guess is that Callaway feels that the Tour Authentic line has more cache than the Ben Hogan brand for elite golfers at this point and there would be little to no benefit to have a Ben Hogan line. I know something like this is a micro-niche in the world of golf irons, but thought I would ask anyways as there are several of us on the board who chime in on Ben Hogan iron threads from time-to-time.

Regards,

David

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Titleist TSR3 10* driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Hogan Apex 4 shafts soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

[quote name='Bogey's Belly' timestamp='1350330018' post='5797343']
[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1350320069' post='5796255']
i can't wait for pictures on the new equipment! my tmag bag is getting worried!!!!!

when is the release date of the razr fit extreme and players irons?
[/quote]

Release date is mid Jan. 2013... Probably the 15th
[/quote]

January 28th...
They will be made available the day after the PGA show ends. That's my my rep told me at least..

[quote name='dpark' timestamp='1350350041' post='5799253']
Hi Harry and Chad,

Great to see both of you actively posting on the board. I actually paged through all 9 pages on this thread and I am surprised that no one has brought up the topic of the Ben Hogan line.

Will the Ben Hogan line ever be resurrected by Callaway? I grew up playing Hogan hand-me-downs from my dad and played them up until 2001 (I still have the the '99 Apexes as a backup set) when the brand really went downhill (the 50th anniversary irons were awful IMHO). I made the switch to Titleist 681s and have been using them until now.

I need to switch to conforming irons for 2014 and was planning on going with the Titleist 680s since those have been tested to be conforming and are the closest in look and feel to the 681s. I would love to put the Ben Hogan brand back in my bag if you were to bring them out again.

My guess is that Callaway feels that the Tour Authentic line has more cache than the Ben Hogan brand for elite golfers at this point and there would be little to no benefit to have a Ben Hogan line. I know something like this is a micro-niche in the world of golf irons, but thought I would ask anyways as there are several of us on the board who chime in on Ben Hogan iron threads from time-to-time.

Regards,

David
[/quote]

David, I couldn't agree more about the Ben Hogan brand. We have quite a few people who still work at Callaway who came from the purchase of Hogan from Spalding about 10 years ago. Our head of Tour, Nick Rafaelle, worked at Hogan for many years and is an expert on all things Ben Hogan.

Unfortunately, the Ben Hogan brand was sold at the beginning of this year. Callaway does, however, retain quite a bit of intellectual property from the Hogan brand and you will definitely see some of that influence irons in the future.

[quote name='Callaway_HarryA' timestamp='1350353530' post='5799571']
[quote name='dpark' timestamp='1350350041' post='5799253']
Hi Harry and Chad,

Regards,

David
[/quote]

David, I couldn't agree more about the Ben Hogan brand. We have quite a few people who still work at Callaway who came from the purchase of Hogan from Spalding about 10 years ago. Our head of Tour, Nick Rafaelle, worked at Hogan for many years and is an expert on all things Ben Hogan.

Unfortunately, the Ben Hogan brand was sold at the beginning of this year. Callaway does, however, retain quite a bit of intellectual property from the Hogan brand and you will definitely see some of that influence irons in the future.
[/quote]

I knew about the sale to Perry Ellis, but thought that it was only the clothing line, not the entire brand that was sold. Very sad news...

Thanks for the reply.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Titleist TSR3 10* driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Hogan Apex 4 shafts soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

Last year I ended up buying several shirts/shorts from Callaway golf. I really like the "grippy" waist band to keep polos tucked during a round. Looking forward to more than just the club relaeases in '13 here - Thanks again for being part of the forum

Lance

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

[quote name='brent' timestamp='1350322184' post='5796423']
I apologize what our freshman QB did to the Arkansas D a few weeks back... How bout a maroon colored driver? Just kidding
[/quote]

The Arkansas D (especially secondary) is absolute garbage. I was honestly worried about Kentucky hanging 40 on us last week. Thankfully we got rained out in the 3rd quarter...

But on a serious note, I've already picked out my Arkansas-inspired udesign driver for next year and it's no joke. Red crown with white on the sole. It's going to be mean.

[quote name='brent' timestamp='1350428600' post='5803707']
I would so do a maroon and white driver if it could be designed! BTW I wish y'all could get those utilities out, those things look awesome. Guy at our club has been playing them, look spectacular in person!
[/quote]

Wish granted, Brent. X Utility Prototypes hit stores in December: http://www.callawaygolf.com/global/en-us/golf-equipment/golf-clubs/irons/x-utility-prototype-irons.html

Welcome Harry and Chad.

I think that this is a very intelligent move by Callaway and from what I've read so far, you are great ambassadors of your company.

There seems to be great care of not revealing much information (and less pictures) of what many of your retailers are saying that is a fantastic line up... I am particularly anxious to order the new Razr Fit Extreme driver, got an order placed for one utility prototype and definitively will demo your new players forged cavity iron...

My question is, for how long?. I got the impression that your main competitor is starting to create significant buzz (with what seems to be just an new iron and a ball) and this 'noise', that will definitively will be amplificated on the 23rd, might steal the attention that Callaway needs for their new offer.

Wish you and Callaway the best.

Have a great game.

Ping G430 MAX 10.5º. GD Tour AD IZ 6S

PXG 0311 XF GEN6 #4 & #7. UST Proforce V2 6F4

Maltby KE4 Tour RS 22º. FST Pro 115S

Maltby TE+ Forged 25º ~ 45º. FST Pro 115S

Maltby TSW Forged 50º, 55º & 60º. FST Pro 115S

EVNROLL ER5 CS Hatchback

[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1350432213' post='5804009']
I would so do a maroon and white driver if it could be designed! BTW I wish y'all could get those utilities out, those things look awesome. Guy at our club has been playing them, look spectacular in person!
[/quote]

Wish granted, Brent. X Utility Prototypes hit stores in December: [url="http://www.callawaygolf.com/global/en-us/golf-equipment/golf-clubs/irons/x-utility-prototype-irons.html"]http://www.callawayg...type-irons.html[/url]
[/quote]

is it just righthanded or are you bringing them to us lefthanded aswell

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Driver Ping G400 10*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Irons Ping i200 4//PW[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Putter Black Series [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS[/color][/b][/font]

[quote name='JB lefty' timestamp='1350298441' post='5795183']
Welcome Guys,

I am a lefty and have generally played Callaway gear since the big bertha irons were first released. I am however frustrated that most cases the left handed golfer is left in the cold. This is very evident with the wedge offerings and putters. I am hoping that next year with all the hype and talk that the lefties won't be left high and dry and that they are catered for and have the same options as the right handed golfers. I know and understand that production costs and profit margins are not as forgiving as the right handed stuff sells heaps more. I find it hard to see a company who's biggest name player is left handed doesn't provide the lefties more options.

Can you confirm that the 2013 line up will include a 4 wood for the lefties? A driving type 3 wood, 13 degree something like the rocket balls or titleist offerings.
Also is there going to be a Odyssey half shaft offset blade putter, something similar to the old DF550?
[/quote]

As asked earlier in the thread are the utility irons going to be available in left hand?

[quote name='JB lefty' timestamp='1350557074' post='5810589']

As asked earlier in the thread are the utility irons going to be available in left hand?
[/quote]

i asked yesterday and got no reply i guess thats a no to us lot then,

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]

[quote name='ron lefthanded holmes' timestamp='1350565248' post='5810915']
[quote name='JB lefty' timestamp='1350557074' post='5810589']
[/quote]

i asked yesterday and got no reply i guess thats a no to us lot then,
[/quote]

I've been out of the office and away from Golfwrx here. We did not have left-handed offerings in the XUtility for the first shipments but are looking at doing the lefties for shipments in 2013.

[quote name='resili' timestamp='1350457431' post='5805317']
Welcome Harry and Chad.

I think that this is a very intelligent move by Callaway and from what I've read so far, you are great ambassadors of your company.

There seems to be great care of not revealing much information (and less pictures) of what many of your retailers are saying that is a fantastic line up... I am particularly anxious to order the new Razr Fit Extreme driver, got an order placed for one utility prototype and definitively will demo your new players forged cavity iron...

My question is, for how long?. I got the impression that your main competitor is starting to create significant buzz (with what seems to be just an new iron and a ball) and this 'noise', that will definitively will be amplificated on the 23rd, might steal the attention that Callaway needs for their new offer.

Wish you and Callaway the best.

Have a great game.
[/quote]

We're not really bothered by competitors' plans for their pre-launch activity. It's fairly formulaic now, I think we would all agree. But, I will say, since today is 10/19, you all won't have to wait too much longer. It's safe to say that you'll be able to discuss our new lineup in graphic detail over your Thanksgiving dinners!

[quote name='Callaway_HarryA' timestamp='1350574063' post='5811599']
I've been out of the office and away from Golfwrx here. We did not have left-handed offerings in the XUtility for the first shipments but are looking at doing the lefties for shipments in 2013.
[/quote]

so thats a definite yes for lefthanders then

Harry and Chad...couple of pic's posted today...is the Forged CB the finished product as is, or is there going to be some kind of badging added at a later time...for the record...I am for NO Badging at all..maybe just the 'V' in the cavity for something..!!

LOOKS AMAZING!!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='ron lefthanded holmes' timestamp='1350574555' post='5811639']
[/quote]

[/quote]
I don't think so, Ron.
I think it's a consideration.

Let's not get our hopes up too high.

[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1350432213' post='5804009']
[/quote]

Wish granted, Brent. X Utility Prototypes hit stores in December: [url="http://www.callawaygolf.com/global/en-us/golf-equipment/golf-clubs/irons/x-utility-prototype-irons.html"]http://www.callawayg...type-irons.html[/url]
[/quote]

What shafts will be offered in the x Utility proto? Thanks!

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* with GD Tour AD VF 5 stiff untipped

Taylormade Burner Mini 13.5* with GD Tour AD VF 6 stiff untipped 

Ping i530 4-P,U with Fujikura Axiom 125x 

Ping s159 wedges 52s, 56s, 60h with Fujikura Axiom 125x

Odyssey Ai One Milled Eight T S

2024 Callaway Tour 
Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 +1/64"
Ogio Silencer bag

[quote name='Callaway_HarryA' timestamp='1350574226' post='5811611']

We're not really bothered by competitors' plans for their pre-launch activity. It's fairly formulaic now, I think we would all agree. But, I will say, since today is 10/19, you all won't have to wait too much longer. It's safe to say that you'll be able to discuss our new lineup in graphic detail over your Thanksgiving dinners!
[/quote]

Thank you Harry. I am looking forward for it.

Have a great game

Ping G430 MAX 10.5º. GD Tour AD IZ 6S

PXG 0311 XF GEN6 #4 & #7. UST Proforce V2 6F4

Maltby KE4 Tour RS 22º. FST Pro 115S

Maltby TE+ Forged 25º ~ 45º. FST Pro 115S

Maltby TSW Forged 50º, 55º & 60º. FST Pro 115S

EVNROLL ER5 CS Hatchback

[quote name='south_side_lefty' timestamp='1350582948' post='5812431']
[/quote]

[/quote]
I don't think so, Ron.

[/quote]

i think your right cant see it happening

As you can see by my Sig, I'm pretty much a callaway guy. I already know that a x utility will be replacing my Adams hybrid. Will there be a lower lofted option for the new extreme fairway?

PING G430 LST 9*, Ventus Black TR 7X
PING G425 14.5*, Ventus Blue 8X
PING iCrossover 18*, Ping Tour 85X
PING i230 4-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X7
Ping Glide 2.0 50, 54, 60
Ping PLD

[quote name='ron lefthanded holmes' timestamp='1350629744' post='5815521']
[quote name='south_side_lefty' timestamp='1350582948' post='5812431']
[/quote]

[/quote]
I don't think so, Ron.

[/quote]

i think your right cant see it happening
[/quote]

Wait, I'm confused now. I thought that X Utilities in lefty were a done deal? How could they not do them in lefty, their #1 golfer is lefty. So what your saying is I can't get one in December? That sucks!! I have been counting down the days till I can pre-order one. ERRRRR....we get screwed again!!! I have even broke up with my 4 hyrbid last week, anticipating my new love. Now I have to go crawling back on hands and knees and ask for forgiveness?

XR 16 9.5 Fubuki ZT
XR 16 15* PX 6.0
XHot Pro 3 hy PX 6.0
Callaway 09 X Forged 3i, 5-pw - PX 6.0
Callaway MD3 52*, 56*, 60* KBS Tour
Odyssey Vera B/W/B #7,
Ball -TM TP5X