haha thanks.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

• 3 weeks later...

Finally had a chance to hit mine this weekend (after a month of looking at them in the corner of my office)...

HOLYCRAP, these are amazing. Best feeling golf clubs I've ever hit...and I'm a 20+ handicap (although largely due to putting). I spend a lot of time at the range so my ball striking is probably akin to a 10-12 handicap, but still...I've been playing golf for less than a year and these irons feel like cheating. As compared to my previous clubs (beginner style big cavity backs), these make me vastly MORE confident standing over an approach shot because the distance is so consistent.

I'm really not sure why Mizuno calls these unforgiving. If you have a low club head speed or you completely fail to compress the ball, then maybe these would be tough to hit. But if you're a moderately decent ball striker, these things are cake to hit.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 (9*), Shaft TBD

3W: Titleist TSi2 (15*) OR TSi3 (15*), Shaft TBD

5W: Titleist TSi2 (18*), Shaft TBD

4i-PW: Miura MB101, KBS C-Taper 130X (Parallel)

52*:  Miura Milled Tour Wedge, KBS C-Taper 130X (Parallel)

56*:  Miura Milled Tour Wedge, DG S300 (Parallel)

60*:  Miura Milled Tour Wedge, DG S300 (Parallel) 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Newport, Teryllium T22

[quote name='Faking-it-with-blades' timestamp='1353954029' post='5980679']
Finally had a chance to hit mine this weekend (after a month of looking at them in the corner of my office)...

HOLYCRAP, these are amazing. Best feeling golf clubs I've ever hit...and I'm a 20+ handicap (although largely due to putting). I spend a lot of time at the range so my ball striking is probably akin to a 10-12 handicap, but still...I've been playing golf for less than a year and these irons feel like cheating. As compared to my previous clubs (beginner style big cavity backs), these make me vastly MORE confident standing over an approach shot because the distance is so consistent.

I'm really not sure why Mizuno calls these unforgiving. If you have a low club head speed or you completely fail to compress the ball, then maybe these would be tough to hit. But if you're a moderately decent ball striker, these things are cake to hit.
[/quote]

This is music to my ears. I am waiting on a set to arrive this week and am a little worried that they would be hard to hit. I have the Ping I20's now and can hit them well, but my handicap is like yours.

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP 66 irons with Modus 105 shafts
Scratch 50,55,60 wedges with Steelfibers I95's
Mizuno MP A303 putter

if your playing the i20's you'll be fine with the 64's. Enjoy them they are sweet irons

Edel PROTO

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was at out local Roger Dunns Saturday with intrest in trying the KBS c-taper shafts. The Mizuno fitting cart had the shaft with all of the current heads out. this combination shaft and head seemed to be the best by far. I tried 6 different heads for fun and the Mizunos are just sick...look great and feel even better. I wasn't even looking at buying another set of irons...happy with what I have right now, so I thought. Darn new stuff. Mine are going to my son.

Callaway Epic Speed 9.0* Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Epic 15* Hazurdus 65
Callaway Epic 18* Hazurdus 65
Takomo 101t 4-pw Steelfiber fc90cw 
Bridgestone J15 56* Project x PXI 5.0
Scotty Cameron Squareback 34"

They are softer then the 59's

Edel PROTO

I went from custom fit i20's (at PING) to off the rack MP53's with S300 shafts after another tough day on the course and have seen an amazing improvement in shot placement and distance control. The PING's were nice sticks but I just got tried of making decent swings and not seeing the results. With the Mizzy's if you miss it you know it right away, but man when it is good it is real good. I have hit more greens and aim at a lot more flags now that the ball is going where I want it most of the time. As a older guy (53) but still with some clubhead speed, I wish I had found the Mizuno magic a long time ago.

After reading this thread I am looking for a outside demo day to try out the MP 64's and maybe get fit correctly to them. Does anyone have any info on a outside demo day in the Orlando area? The Mizuno website does not list anything, but the folks here at golfwrx seem to have some inside info.

Thanks for a great review and a great website.

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

J13 - Great Review, Thanks.

What are your stats for driver and 6 iron (swing speed and carry distance)? I am trying to figure out if I should go c-taper S+ or X Soft-Stepped. I swing driver about 105-110 and 6 iron around 90 mph. Mizuno Shaft Optimizer numbers for me are 90mph 5466. I want to go S+ straight in, but Mizuno doesn't offer them. I put a 5 iron c-taper in X-flex straight in to my MP 32 5 iron and I feel it is a little too stiff (played x100s before, which are ok for me but spin too much). What do you recommend?

How much lower do the MP 69's flight? I hit my MP 32's with x100s too high for my liking and I am looking for lower more penetrating flight. Will the 64's be much lower than 32's? Will 69's be a better choice for me?

Lastly, I am a digger so which grind (69 or 64) will have a better sole for my type of swing?

Thanks,

stk123

[quote name='stk123' timestamp='1356899420' post='6139845']
J13 - Great Review, Thanks.

What are your stats for driver and 6 iron (swing speed and carry distance)? I am trying to figure out if I should go c-taper S+ or X Soft-Stepped. I swing driver about 105-110 and 6 iron around 90 mph. Mizuno Shaft Optimizer numbers for me are 90mph 5466. I want to go S+ straight in, but Mizuno doesn't offer them. I put a 5 iron c-taper in X-flex straight in to my MP 32 5 iron and I feel it is a little too stiff (played x100s before, which are ok for me but spin too much). What do you recommend?

How much lower do the MP 69's flight? I hit my MP 32's with x100s too high for my liking and I am looking for lower more penetrating flight. Will the 64's be much lower than 32's? Will 69's be a better choice for me?

Lastly, I am a digger so which grind (69 or 64) will have a better sole for my type of swing?

Thanks,

stk123
[/quote]

Well my driver SS is around 115-118mph and swing my irons with a strong transition so X flex is perfect for me. For you the best option would be (if you can't test them) is play a S+ straight in but again a LOT of factors go in not only SS. Head to a golf shop that has a demo iron with the Ctaper and give it a go. The last thing you want to do is buy expensive shafts that don't fit.

As for trajectory the 69's will be a smidge lower then the 64's but not by much to be honest. Compared to the 32's i'm not sure trajectory might be a little lower but it's been so long since I hit the 32's

Edel PROTO

Thanks. The problem is that golf shops don't have the c-taper in S+, because Mizuno only offers it in R,S, or X (no R+ or S+ available, which is really dumb). I tested the X flex and got really good results next to the x100 and PX 6.0. So I put a c-taper in X-flex straight into my 5 iron to test it out and I really like it. Hit a few bombs that went a long way, some shots that carried the same as my regular 5 iron length and many that I pured that ended up shorter than expected. I figured that the reason is the the shaft is too stiff, hence my yardage loss.

J13 I thought you said previously that your X-flex are soft stepped; is this correct? Therefore S+ definitely will not be too weak for me and may go that route.

Yes my Xflex are softstepped 1x so S+ would be a good fit for ya if you wanted.

Edel PROTO

Hi J13,

Thanks for the great review. I have a similar handicap to you and currently play the MP68s w/C-Tapers in S+. Question for you: on a scale of 1 to 10, what would you give the MP68s in terms of their forgiveness and what would you give the MP64s?

I bought a set of Adams CMBs about 5 months ago that I'm not loving, so I'm considering the idea of dumping them and going back to Mizzy. My only concern with my MP68s would be....it would be nice to have a bit more forgiveness. Having said that though, I've personally found that the MP68s are really quite forgiving (for a blade). My goal is to get the buttery soft and solid feel of the MP68s but the forgiveness of the CMBs or maybe even a touch more so.

Thank you!!!
D

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

If you want the Mizuno feel with a little more forgiveness then the 68's then the 64's are PERFECT for you.

Edel PROTO

name='DNice26' timestamp='1357323048' post='6167737']
Hi J13,

Thanks for the great review. I have a similar handicap to you and currently play theMP68s w/C-Tapers in S+. Question for you: on a scale of 1 to 10, what would ytungstenve the MP68s in terms of their forgivene and what would you give the MP64s?

I bought a set of Adams CMBs about 5 months ago that I'm not loving, so I'm considering the idea of dumping them and going back to Mizzy. My only concern with my MP68s would be....it would be nice to have a bit more forgiveness. Having said that though, I've personally found that the MP68s are really quite forgiving (for a blade). My goal is to get the buttery soft and solid feel of the MP68s but the forgiveness of the CMBs or maybe even a touch more so.

Thank you!
Dd

Curious as to what you don't like about the cmb's and your set up? I am awaiting a set of mp 64's with 6.0 rifle shafts....I was really torn between these sets but went mizzy because I wanted a straight forward forged head instead of all that techy stuff like tungsten and toe weighting......plus I feel as though you shouldn't mess with perfection and golfers are doing themselves a disservice by playing "game improvement" irons and not developing a swing that connects the ball to the centre of the club head and allows for that feedback and feel.

[quote name='Gdogfolife' timestamp='1357628200' post='6188935']
name='DNice26' timestamp='1357323048' post='6167737']
Hi J13,

Thanks for the great review. I have a similar handicap to you and currently play theMP68s w/C-Tapers in S+. Question for you: on a scale of 1 to 10, what would ytungstenve the MP68s in terms of their forgivene and what would you give the MP64s?

Thank you!
Dd

Curious as to what you don't like about the cmb's and your set up? I am awaiting a set of mp 64's with 6.0 rifle shafts....I was really torn between these sets but went mizzy because I wanted a straight forward forged head instead of all that techy stuff like tungsten and toe weighting......plus I feel as though you shouldn't mess with perfection and golfers are doing themselves a disservice by playing "game improvement" irons and not developing a swing that connects the ball to the centre of the club head and allows for that feedback and feel.
[/quote]

No problem. What I can do is compare them to my MP68s for you. Basically my problem with my CMBs is three fold:

1. [b]The Feel:[/b] The CMBs are great, don't get me wrong (as they helped me win my Club Championship). My issue I suppose is the lack of feedback on my poor swings. I never released that I seem to prefer the feedback I get from my blades. Something about the CMBs seems to mask the true feel of the strike. When I switch back to my blades, it's like home. Hard to explain to be honest.
2. [b]The Head Size/Appearance[/b]: Believe it or not, I find the address position of the CMBs to appear VERY small (especially the wedge and 9 iron) depending on the club you are looking at. For whatever reason I find that I prefer looking down at my blades much better....and I mean that from a forgiveness and confidence perspective (believe it or not).
3. [b]The Length[/b]: I ordered them standard length and I prefer 1/4" over.....Yes, I know I'm a picky SOB.

My last final minor complaint would be the consistency of the appearance through the set. It is not bad, but when you get used to looking at a Mizzy, it is hard to look at any other bird....lol The GW is very funky looking compared to the

I'm considering the MP64s for 2013, but not until I test them out extensively.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

[quote name='CEPick' timestamp='1357664054' post='6190635']
I want these 64's. Like now. Today.

Anybody opt for the MP H4 in the 3 and 4 iron?
[/quote]

I went for H4 3 &4 and MP-64 in 5-PW.

Unfortunately they have not arrived yet, should be with me on Thursday which is typical as snow is forecast for later in the week.

I will update when I have had a good chance to test the H4's

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Frankfurt

MP 64's are the best feeling clubs I have ever hit, but given that I only play 2-3 times a month at about a 6 HDCP I need more forgiveness. I did not find them to be as forgiving as others have stated. I sold my AP2's because they felt so muffled and sometimes sounded like I drop kicked them, even with solid contact. Bought the Mizuno MP 64 5-PW with KBS C Taper S+ and love everything about them but the forgiveness. I am selling these and going back to the AP2 to make the game a little easier on myself. The AP2 is the best performing iron I have ever hit from a distance control and accuracy standpoint, I just don't find them to feel as good as most others do.

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2

[quote name='Mizzy23' timestamp='1358701917' post='6265083']
[quote name='tigerslions78' timestamp='1358439106' post='6246253']
you guys still loving these irons?
[/quote]Seems that most do, but the OP has replaced these with the 2013 xforged. IMO, this review looses its validity.
[/quote]

either that or the xforged are "that good" but everyone is saying the 64s are the cat's a**.

[/quote]Seems that most do, but the OP has replaced these with the 2013 xforged. IMO, this review looses its validity.
[/quote]

I reviewed the irons and they are some of the best on market and certainly the softest. Me owning a set of xforged irons doesn't change how good the Mizuno MP64's are. Heck I have a total of 5 iron sets that get play so does that make my review of the irons even more "invalid" ? Bottom line is if the criteria for testers is they can only have 1 of whatever's being tested then no one on this site or any golf site can review golf clubs.

Edel PROTO

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1358706646' post='6265377']
[/quote]

I reviewed the irons and they are some of the best on market and certainly the softest. Me owning a set of xforged irons doesn't change how good the Mizuno MP64's are. Heck I have a total of 5 iron sets that get play so does that make my review of the irons even more "invalid" ? Bottom line is if the criteria for testers is they can only have 1 of whatever's being tested then no one on this site or any golf site can review golf clubs.
[/quote]

Ive called 3 or 4 sets of irons amazing and could play any one of them! I agree with you.