2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

AP2 vs. JPX 825 Pro

scottleo

Looking for new irons, and I was just curious if any of you guys have seen/demoed these two clubs side by side. Any feedback on the similarities of the AP2 & JPX 825 pro, i.e. look, top line, offset, feel, forgiveness, overall performance?

Thanks!

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

please demo both sets on real grass out door if you can... only true answer to one equipment being better than the other can be answered by the operator.

For me, I found JPX825 pro was better than AP2 because

- more forgivness
- better feedback (now this is subjective)
- grind sole was better fit for me

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

Any thoughts on address position? Offset, top line, heel-toe width?

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

[quote name='scottleo' timestamp='1350919950' post='5827597']
Any thoughts on address position? Offset, top line, heel-toe width?
[/quote]

Pretty close for the most part. To me, it looks like the AP2's top line is a hair smaller but there's not much in it.
Really I think the AP2 vs JPX 825 Pro comes down to three things:

1: Flight Height. The AP2 with the same shaft will throw the ball up higher then the 825 Pro's. For me, it was as much as 2 degrees in launch angle change with the same shaft and the JPX head bent 1 weaker to match the AP2 loft. Definately something to consider.

2: Feel. Both feel substaintially different from one another. Only you can make the call on this one upon hitting them.

3: Sole. The JPX's have the triple cut sole grind and tend to be more forgiving to a digging shot then the AP's. For some that helps, for others, it doesn't matter.

IMO, The JPX has a softer "forged" feel than the AP2's and have a simliar look at address. They are both quality irons that have been played on tour so you really cant go wrong with either.

-Ryan

[b]Fairway Golf Online Store[/b] :golfer:
Website: [url="http://www.fairwaygolfusa.com"]http://www.fairwaygolfusa.com[/url]
Email: [email="[email protected]?subject=GolfWRX%20Inquiry"][email protected][/email]
Instagram:[url="https://instagram.com/fairwaygolfusa/"]https://instagram.com/fairwaygolfusa/[/url]
Phone: 1-619-702-1702

I hit both of these Saturday indoor on the launch monitor. I already have AP2s on the way, but saw the JPX 825 Pros, and gave them a whirl. I owned the 710 AP2s, but then switched to MP53s, then AP1s, and now full circle with 712 AP2s. First off the AP2s had Dynamic Gold S300s and the JPX 825 Pros had the Dynalite Gold S300s. The AP2s were noticeably heavier, but both had similar launch on the monitor for me (about 20 degrees with a 7 iron with both). I was longer with the JPX 825s by maybe 5-10 yards, but I also seemed to be making better contact (possibly due to the shafts, my AP1s have the Dynalite Gold in them, so I had a good feel for the weight already). Also the JPX lofts are have lower lofts by 2 degrees on the 7 iron. The head to toe length of the JPX Pros seemed to be slightly larger than the AP2s. The feel of solid strikes was softer to me on the JPX 825s. I was hitting off an indoor mat, so I don't know how the turf interaction will play out on the course. Overall, I liked the JPX 825 Pros, but have already purchased AP2s on the BST. I have played AP2s in the past and have had good success with them. I might just need to go to a lighter weight, mid-high launch shaft to get the best out of the AP2s.

I currently have the Titleist AP2s, but I hit the Mizuno JPX 825 Pros the other day and I am very smitten by the JPXs. Top line to me looked similar between the 2, but I liked the sole grind better on the JPXs since I'm a bit of a digger. I also like the fact that Mizuno will give different shaft options without upcharges, (My bro just bought the 825s with KBS shafts for no upcharge).

When I hit the 825s, I had the Project X PXI shafts in them, and they felt incredible! Too bad I'm broke and cant afford to buy new irons. :stink:

Titleist TSR3 10.5° Graphite Design AD-UB 5

Titleist TSR3 16.5° Graphite Design AD-UB 7

Titleist TSR2 21° Graphite Design AD-UB 8

Taylormade P790 4 - PW Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM8 50° Dynamic Gold 105
Titleist Vokey SM9 54°, 58° KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

[quote name='lettucebcereal' timestamp='1351000542' post='5832765']
I currently have the Titleist AP2s, but I hit the Mizuno JPX 825 Pros the other day and I am very smitten by the JPXs. Top line to me looked similar between the 2, but I liked the sole grind better on the JPXs since I'm a bit of a digger. I also like the fact that Mizuno will give different shaft options without upcharges, (My bro just bought the 825s with KBS shafts for no upcharge).

When I hit the 825s, I had the Project X PXI shafts in them, and they felt incredible! Too bad I'm broke and cant afford to buy new irons. :stink:
[/quote]

So are PXi similar to KBS Tour or KBS Tour C taper ? I currently game JPX800 w/ PX5.5.

way too much offset on the mizuno, although they feel great. i love ape

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

[quote name='Jaggie99' timestamp='1351036135' post='5836169']
[quote name='lettucebcereal' timestamp='1351000542' post='5832765']

[/quote]

So are PXi similar to KBS Tour or KBS Tour C taper ? I currently game JPX800 w/ PX5.5.
[/quote]

I used to play JPX800 non pro with PX 5.5 and just bought a set of JPX825 Pro with PXi 5.5

did not see any distance decrease and seeing ball flying higher and holding the green very well.

Feels like KBS Tour smooth but very stable is what I can describe it. C taper wasn't good fit for me.

FYI

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

[quote name='caller' timestamp='1350914401' post='5827225']
please demo both sets on real grass out door if you can... only true answer to one equipment being better than the other can be answered by the operator.

For me, I found JPX825 pro was better than AP2 because

- more forgivness
- better feedback (now this is subjective)
- grind sole was better fit for me
[/quote]

Spot on. Definitely more forgiveness. AP2 topline appears thinner to my eye, shorter blade length. 825 Pros have better sole in my opinion, but thicker topline and longer blade length. I don't think I'd try and compare JPX 825 Pros with AP2s....AP2s are more in line with MP series.

[quote name='rocker40' timestamp='1351642752' post='5869779']
I hit the JPX 825 Pro and the AP2's this weekend at a demo day. I really liked the feel of the AP2's. They were cutting through the ground nicely
and im a digger...
[/quote]

rocker ive been around the block as well and can tell u just get the ap2s and forget it. They are perfect. The 825s are not even close.

AP2s have such a nice heavy thud when you hit it, like a sledgehammer.

Now the Driver search for 2013 on the other hand hasn't evne begun!

2024 Bag TBD

I have hit both and play the AP2. Both great irons and you cannot really go wrong with either. My only comment is that you are not really comparing "apples with apples" here. IMHO the AP2 is more aligned with MP59/MP53. The JPX is more aligned with AP1 and to throw another option in Callaway Diablo Forged.

Good luck demo-ing!

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing the titleist ap2 710 for about 2 years now and can honestly say they are a great feeling club with loads of forgiveness. I have always played irons with the dynamic gold s300 shafts and thought that these shafts suited my game a high ball flight with a soft landing. Just got custom fit for a set of mizuno jpx825 pro's and found that these were better than the ap2's. the s300 shafts in the ap2's was creating too much spin so I was loosing alot of distance due to the ball stalling in the air. Spent an hour in the fitting centre which was a real eye opener. In the end went for the x100 shafts as I was hitting them 20 yards further and with a tighter dispersion now hitting a 6 iron 190 yards instead of 170 but I do think alot is down to the right shaft being on the club as the feel of both clubs faces felt the same. If you are considering getting a new set then custom fitting is a must I only wish I had had customer fitted clubs sooner.

I was out in Scottsdale last month and played the TPC course with rental AP2's - I found them to be very similar to the 800 Pros that I play here in Florida. I would give both forgiveness and length to the Mizuno's. From my limited experience with them, it would be easy to switch to them. I think they had the s300 shafts that I play in my 800 pros.

I hit the 800 pros last year and they didn't seem to have the feel I was expecting. I actually thought ap1s felt better with same shaft. Fast forward to yesterday, I am planning on a new fitted set and stopped by my local golf store. I hit the ap1 with dg xp stiff versus 825 pro with kbs tour stiff. The 825 pros felt great off the face and shafts were a great combination, smooth as everyone always says. The feel was right where I wanted. I didn't get a chance to hit ap2 but I think 825 pros are the direction I'm heading.

Titleist 913D3 9.5* Rogue White 130 70x / Adams F11 15* Aldila VS Proto 85s

Cleveland 588h 18* Speeder 904hb / Cleveland 588h 23* Ozik Altus

Adams DHY 27* / King Cobra Forged CB 6-P Nippon Modus 120x

Mizuno T20 50s Modus 120x, SM4 55.12 / Callaway MDf 60* DG Spinner 

Odyssey O-Works Black 1WS

• 1 month later...

I went on a launch monitor with various shafts and heads. Results were close
But I did learn a few things. Swing speed with a 6 iron was 75 to 80 and all the club heads produced similar ball speed. I was faster with a lighter shaft, but if the Flex was too soft (R) spin rates were really high. kBS in r flex had crazy spin 6500. I was able to lower spin with DGSL S300. Also, dynalite s300 had too much spin too. Better than KBS though but not much.

Heads I tried Mizuno 825 Pro, MP64, Titleist CB, Titleist MB and Titleist AP2 712. My best carry distance was MP64. Only problem was overall was 14 yards more distance or lots of roll. Spin dropped with DGSL S300 to 5000 average launch angle was 18.8. I didn't hit the Titleist CB with my top swing speed, but at a slower swing speed it was similar to MP64, with maybe 500 more spin and less roll after landing (5 yards). Maybe a couple yards shorter. The Mizuno 825 also helped reduce launch angle and backspin averaged 5400 with same shaft as others (DGSL S300). I would say CB had a little higher launch than the 825, 1 degree. CB had 2 to 3 hundred more back spin. Distance similar to each other with a slight edge to 825.

The expert liked me in the Mizuno MP 64. Not sure if the spin is too low and how it will react on the green. I did have by far the farthest carry on 5 of 10 swings with them. Not sure if it was me that just settled down and got warm during the fitting. I suppose playing a cut will help stop them on the green.

Also not 100% on a 106 gram shaft. Seems like a heavier shaft helps me in transition, but I don't swing fast enough for DG 127 grams and heavier. I know KBS Tour stiff ss could work. Project X 5.0 or flighted 5.5 maybe. It's such a difficult task to find the right head/shaft combo.