PICS! TaylorMade Releases "RocketBladez" Irons

I'm going to be trying these out when they hit my local shop in early December. I currently play R11 irons and love them. My only complaint is I feel like I should get another 5-10 yards from my 5,6 & 7 irons. I never feel like I hit them perfectly and these irons seem to forgive mishits better. The proof will be on the course but I'm keeping my mind open. As far as irons go, I'm following the TaylorMade gospel. They haven't let me down yet so they get the first shot.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hit the Rocketbladez today and they are going to be a huge winner. Did not look chunky from the top and were easy to launch and control. Stock stiff shaft was too light and weak for me but with a smooth swing these were money. Hit nice high cut 6 irons 210 all day my normal MC 6 goes 185 with DG s300 XP. 4 iron makes my rescue useless being easier to hit with more control at a distance of 230-235. The AW was sick and with a shaft upgrade will be a weapon. I will be looking at the tour model in the PW-6 or 7 but the standard clubs were a pleasant surprise for the non-tour/tp model.
On a side note 2 players both under 5 caps one Ping guy one Titleist and they were ready to switch in 15 minutes of hitting. They could not wait to see the tour version.

TM M6 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S Velocore 
TM GAPR Hi 3 KBS C-Taper Lite
TM 2011 Tour Issue MC 4-PW KBS Tour 120
TM MG2 Nickel 50 and 54 KBS Tour 120

TM MG2 Raw 58 KBS Tour 120
TM Black Copper Soto TP Collection 34in
TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix

[quote name='9ccat9' timestamp='1351390281' post='5856617']
Hit the Rocketbladez today and they are going to be a huge winner. Did not look chunky from the top and were easy to launch and control. Stock stiff shaft was too light and weak for me but with a smooth swing these were money. Hit nice high cut 6 irons 210 all day my normal MC 6 goes 185 with DG s300 XP. 4 iron makes my rescue useless being easier to hit with more control at a distance of 230-235. The AW was sick and with a shaft upgrade will be a weapon. I will be looking at the tour model in the PW-6 or 7 but the standard clubs were a pleasant surprise for the non-tour/tp model.
On a side note 2 players both under 5 caps one Ping guy one Titleist and they were ready to switch in 15 minutes of hitting. They could not wait to see the tour version.
[/quote]

So you picked up 25 yards per iron?

No not in the the AW, PW, and 8 iron I hit. Picked up a club to a club and a half in the PW and 8 not much in the 50 degree. The ball flight was high but continued to carry, all landed very soft on the greens. Like to put a better shaft in and see what they can really do.

TM M6 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S Velocore 
TM GAPR Hi 3 KBS C-Taper Lite
TM 2011 Tour Issue MC 4-PW KBS Tour 120
TM MG2 Nickel 50 and 54 KBS Tour 120

TM MG2 Raw 58 KBS Tour 120
TM Black Copper Soto TP Collection 34in
TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix

[quote name='rorymcilroy420' timestamp='1351445697' post='5858401']
The only thing which actually changes is the ridiculously low loft ( 6 iron is 26 degrees !!)
[/quote]

That is needed due to the lower CG (center of gravity) of these irons (and many GI type irons).
The entire set is designed for high loft but also increased distance in the longer irons due to the Speed Pocket (which was not in the Burner 2.0).
So just because the loft is stronger does not mean the trajectory is correspondingly lower with more carry.
Difficult to compare these with other irons due to the design .... apples vs. oranges.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

[quote name='whiteflash' timestamp='1351435745' post='5857891']
[quote name='9ccat9' timestamp='1351390281' post='5856617']
[/quote]

So you picked up 25 yards per iron?
[/quote]

Keep in mind that the design of the RBladez is to see more consistent results on hits on the lower part of the clubface vs the RBZ and Burner 2.0 due to the Speed Pocket. The lower CG in the RBladez helps with that also. So comparing hits off the center of the clubface will not see that much difference in distance by say an iron Byron machine.
It's when you start looking a the distance and consistency on lower than CG hits that these are supposed to shine.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Demo'd the rocketbladez steel stiff shafts, and just adding to what has been said, WOW! I mishit the ball several times and though I didn't notice crazy distance gains, I was routinely getting great loft and hitting perfectly straight. Great feel, and unbeliveablly forgiving. Going to wiat til the steel price dops down to the $600 or so range, and jump on these for sure. Was told by the reps that hybribs will be coming out in Feb.

[quote name='Spencer35' timestamp='1352085322' post='5892175']
Demo'd the rocketbladez steel stiff shafts, and just adding to what has been said, WOW! I mishit the ball several times and though I didn't notice crazy distance gains, I was routinely getting great loft and hitting perfectly straight. Great feel, and unbeliveablly forgiving. Going to wiat til the steel price dops down to the $600 or so range, and jump on these for sure. Was told by the reps that hybribs will be coming out in Feb.
[/quote]

demo'd? and where did you demo these?

youll be waiting til fall 13 or spring 14 for a markdown

Taylormade M4 8.5 Oban Kiyoshi White
Taylormade Aeroburner 15* Diamana S+ 72
Taylormade SLDR 17* Hybrid S+ 82
Taylormade P770 4-PW KBS Ctaper Lite
Taylormade Milled Grind 51* 55* 60*
Taylormade Spider Ghost

Last night I was in PGA Tour Superstore trying to make a decision on my next club ho purchase between Ping i20 or Anser irons. I was hitting their demo clubs on a launch monitor and the guy helping me came over and asked me to try a Rocketbladez iron. The Ping i20 and Anser demos were 7 irons. I was carrying each 160-162 yds, which is slightly shorter than my current gamer (Callaway X-Protos), which I carry right at 165. Anyway, he hands me the Rocketbladez demo 7 iron and asks me to hit it a few times. The first think I notice is that it is a well balanced club. It wasn't all that bulky in appearance, like it thought it would be. Somewhere on a forum, possibly this thread, a person said they made a sound similar to a fairway wood at impact. I would say that's about right. There is definitely a high pitched "click" sound when struck. It's not anything like a driver, but definitely more than a standard iron. I was carrying the 7 iron 180 - 183 on the launch monitor, so it is most definitely longer. I can't comment on consistency, accuracy, height, or anything else, but it is definitely the longest 7 iron I've ever hit.

Would I buy them..............no. I really don't need to hit a 7 iron 180+ yds. But for someone who needs the added distance, they might be worth a look.

Ping G430 LST 10.5 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 Max 15 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 3 Hybrid Kai'Li White

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW Modus3 Tour 120

TaylorMade MG3 50, 56, 60

It's more of a mini-cavity on top of the regular cavity than a speed slot. I can't see how this is the most important thing TM has created in the last 40 years. I guess two cavities are better than one, even though it's on only half the irons. Next up: the double speed slot iron that's twice as important as anything over the last 1000 years.

Two words not forged!! Sure there probably hot off the face and i'm sure with the right shaft combination you can hit the 40 deg 9 iron 160 yards. I guarantee I can take my mizuno mp-67 blades a 5 year old club and hit it a 175 yard 5 iron smoothly and take the rocket blades 6 iron and hit it the same distance give or take. The give or take is the key here sometimes it will go 182. It won't be consistent at all because it's not forged it's that simple. Over all these look like good clubs to have probably not very accurate with the offset meaning they will tend to fly left I really couldn't see the point of having the 6 iron,5 iron or 9 iron. The rest of the clubs excluding the pw at least for some could work well. In the end the 3 iron is a hybrid or 7 wood,The 4 and 5 will play like hybrids as well. The 7 iron will just be up for speculation at a presumed 30 degrees it basically a standard 6 iron. This is all hype guys go try a 25 degree hybrid and compare it to the 4 iron you will get identical results.

• 2 weeks later...

I hit these with a rep that was helping me fix my R11S driver shaft and he said I should give these irons a try. My thoughts are simple...this is one harsh feeling club. It's one thing to say they aren't soft like Mizuno, Titleist, and Cobra irons. It's another to say my Pings i15s are MUCH softer feeling. Maybe the TMs are longer (look at the loft specs to see why) and even could be straighter, but I really don't think these will see the bag of more than a few TM PGA Tour players. Maybe have a market in the 8+ handicap range. Just not my preference, but I'm sure they've identified a market where these will sell.

[quote name='boatrightgolf7' timestamp='1353189794' post='5947653']
[url="http://taylormadegolf.com/TaylorMade/RocketBladez-Irons/DW-JN933,en_US,pd.html"]http://taylormadegol...3,en_US,pd.html[/url]

Here are the specs guys a whopping 18 degrees for the 3 iron! That's a 5 wood it goes on from there these irons have severe strong lofts what's the point?
[/quote]

Which is why the set comes 4-AW. I venture on here periodically and have been back more lately and i am always surprised by the absolute arrogance of many of the people on here. Some of you are worse than baseball purist. So i assume you also play with a balata golf ball since the technology in the new balls is just marketing?

I have posted this before. the purpose of the game is to have the lowest score. if these help me or someone else achieve that who cares what the loft is? i have not hit them but have seen them and they don't look bad at all. Will i purchase them? don't know. i think that all of you who play forged MB or blades are silly and make the game more difficult and drink your own type of kool-aid. so we agree to disagree.

I'm 7.4 HCP and have been playing the Burner 2.0 since they came out. I consider myself a decent player, but not the best around by any means. My shots have a lower trajectory than I'd like, so I was curious if these would give me a higher trajectory than my 2.0s. I hit my 6 iron vs the Bladez 6 iron today and wasn't blown away by any means, although I was really hoping to get these if the claims were true. My best shot was a 211 yrd 6 iron with 119 mph ball speed. Granted, the Bladez 6 was taped, so it effects the spin and launch, but I was hitting my 2.0 better and more consistently. Longest was 203 with the Burner 2.0. I plan on trying these again, and also am curious if an upgraded shaft will help a lot.

[quote name='golfbum9' timestamp='1354133189' post='5990989']
It's not arrogance Stevens, nor trolling "Doc". Frankly I'm suprised by the sheer lack of common sense- kool aid is one helluva drug.... ;)
[/quote]

There is no lack of common sense if you understand what they are trying to do. No one is disputing that they are taking a six iron shaft and putting it into a seven iron head. I for one have no problem with it. If you don't think players have been tweaking shafts length/ flex, iron loft/lie etc etc then you don't know the industry. We used to tweek loft and shaft flex/length on our irons to cover a specific distance. It's about perfect launch, speed and spin numbers with every club not just the driver.

Does it really bother you that some people like this product? I could really care less what iron number someone hits to a green. I'm not threatened by someone saying how far they hit a iron. It's about the lowest score at the end of the week. So if your post was only to dispute definitions of arrogance or being a troll then grats you win.

Doc

Paradym Ventus blue velocore 6s tr driver
Rogue ST max 3 wood Ventus Red velocore 6s
Paradym 18 and 24 deg hybrid Ventus blue
Apex 4-pw Steelfiber 
Jaws raw 50, 55, 60 
Odyssey white hot #7

[quote name='smackygolf' timestamp='1354391044' post='6005045']
[quote name='cheeks' timestamp='1354384371' post='6004725']
Interesting. The steel shafted 21* is a half inch longer than the Mizuno H4 *21 in steel.
[/quote]

OMG!!! YOU PEOPLE ARE STUPID!! YOU ONLY HIT IT FARTHER BECAUSE IT'S LONGER!! HOW CAN THE MARKETING PEOPLE KEEP FOOLING YOU SHEEP!!

Figured I'd get it out of the way before the lunatic fringe jumped in with their singular brand of ridiculousness.
[/quote]

If you hit every iron 25 yards longer, you'll just have to add another wedge at the short end.

I'm only interested in the 3 iron as a possible replacement for a hybrid in my bag.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

I had a chance to demo these today at my local range. First impression after coming off of my existing irons is "that sure is a thick top line!", however hitting them I found them to be very nice clubs. Easy to hit, VERY consistent. I really wanted to NOT like them.. unfortunately, they are VERY nice. Good feel, good balance, the distance AND accuracy was there. The 'jacked lofts' (hate that term, since I have NEVER seen the specs in any rules of golf as to what loft a particular iron number had to be) really should not be an issue. These clubs launched higher than you would expect. So the long irons are a club to 2 clubs longer, the wedges not so much. in other words, gaps are SLIGHTLY bigger with the newer clubs, but that isn't a bad thing. Look at the driver of today vs the driver of 30 years ago. If you could max an old "Pittsburgh Persimmon" out to 220, but rail an R11 to 280 yards, you need to do SOMETHING to fill that extra 60yds in that gap. Rules of golf dont' allow us to carry any more clubs, SOOO don't be so quick to crucify iron makers for tweaking things to get more distance.

Zolex 0 CC "The Hammer" driver
Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

I hit the 7 iron tonight as part of Taylormade's launch weekend at Golf Galaxy against my 712 AP2 and must say I was quite impressed! First off, I'm not a big hitter at all. My normal 7 iron is my 170 club. I walk into the sim bay, hit a few to warm up, then hit a few "official" balls averaging around 168 (1 bad, 1 normal, and 1 exceptionally good). Then I preceded to hit the Rbladez 7 iron (jacked loft and all). Felt a bit muted compared to my AP2 but still not a bad feeling. First distance, 191. Second hit, 193. Third hit, 199! Wasn't paying attention to my launch angles but the roll out was only about 5 yards on average so the trajectory had to be decent. Whether or not these seemingly ridiculous distance gains would actually help my game is debatable, but one thing for certain is that Taylormade figured out how to make a ridiculously long and easy to hit iron. And I walked away with a dozen free Rocketballz balls for "gaining" 12+ yards over my current gamer (1 ball per yard gained for the event).

saw them in the flesh for the first time this morning at the local american golf shop (in England),look maybe a bit bigger than my burner 2 chrome irons, not had the burner 2 irons that long so maybe keep these at least another yr before trading in.Rbz drivers and fairways both had a big price cut though so got the Rbz 3 wood.

Cobra Radspeed XD 10.5
Callaway rogue 3 wood
Callaway rogue 5 wood
Callaway Hawkeye 7 wood.
Taylormade M6 irons 5 to pw,aw, sw, 2 degrees upright +half an inch longer
Callaway  mack daddy cb 60 wedge
Titleist trufeel/Callaway supersoft balls
Odyssey 7s black