2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

LIVE ROCKETBLADEZ Q&A with TaylorMade! Thursday, Oct. 25 1-3PM ET! Win RBLADEZ TOUR IRONS!

HipCheck

[quote name='BirdieBob' timestamp='1351186877' post='5845011']
[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1351186528' post='5844969']
[quote name='Blakester' timestamp='1351096021' post='5839275'] How do the RocketBladz Tour compare in feel and distance versus other hollow-head competitor's irons - like Titleist AP2, Mizuno MPH4,Cobra AMP Forged...etc? [/quote]

[b]We believe that RocketBladez Tour irons feel and perform better than any product in their competitive set. If you’d like to see how they compare in terms of distance to competitive irons, please check out the chart on our website by visiting: [url="http://o{"]http://taylormadegol...z,en_US,pg.html[/url][/b]

[b]- GG[/b]
[/quote]

Not getting this to open?
[/quote]

Me either

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1351113074' post='5840725']
Hi, and thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

1. Would one be able to order these irons in the following configuration?

+1 inch, stiff flex, soft-stepped once, 2º upright, with two wraps under the grips?

2. Do these new iron offer any vibration dampening effects?

Thanks!

Sean
[/quote]

[b]Hey Sean, thanks for your interest. Question #1: YES. Question #2: Yes. The badge has dampening qualities and the Speed Pocket is filled with a 3M polymer which makes the club feel great. Hope you get a chance to try it out. Thanks - GG[/b]

[quote name='Guch' timestamp='1351107045' post='5840293']
It seems like tour players are hitting longer and longer distances with not only their drivers, but irons as well. Was their any sacrifice in accuracy or workability in the efforts to get more distance from an iron? Also, how much of TaylorMade's new designs were influenced by the acquisition of Adams?
[/quote]

[b]There have been no sacrifices, the workability has been maintained through shaping and the ball speed improvements from the the speed pocket are amazing. Testing on the RBladez Tour irons have shown that the area on the face before you lose 1% of your speed is 5 times greater than our Tour Preferred MC. Essentially, the sweet spot has become 5 times greater. This is a big reason why Tour players gravitate towards this iron. As it relates to distance, any gain you have seen from players in irons are more related to the golf ball and their physical condition. On the PGA Tour, if you take 50th on the list in driving distance, it's over 30 yards longer in the last 20 years. RBZ fairway woods gave players 17 yards in increased distance, there hasn't been an iron that could bridge the gap to the modern day metalwood and maintain consistency throughout the entire set. The Adams acquisition had no influence in the development of these irons. -BB[/b]

[quote name='GolfGrouch' timestamp='1351096609' post='5839341'] Isn't there a trade-off between distance and accuracy with iron designs? In other words, if you claim these irons produce more distance than average, won't they be less accurate than average? Please explain. Thanks! [/quote]

No, they will not be less accurate than average. The new Inverted Cone and clubface design together projects the ball straight down the target line when the face reflexes at impact, instead of at a slight angle as previous fast-faced irons often have. We started making this kind of improvement in how the ball comes off the face in our RocketBallz irons.

- BW

[quote name='AUDuffer' timestamp='1351097016' post='5839377']
When I see where the slot was placed and the increased sweet spot I think of the TourStriker's aim of forcing you to trap that ball at impact very similar to Sergio Garcia. Was Sergio and/or the TS part of the inspiration for the design; to create a larger (more forgiving) area when striking down on the ball?

Another: what was the rationale for creating the separate pieces for adjusting loft/lie--production cost savings going with a cast versus forged model?
[/quote]

Thanks for the question.

Amateur golfers were our biggest inspiration to create a more forgiving area on the clubface. TaylorMade studies indicate that 72% of iron shots hit by amateur golfers are struck below center face. The Speed Pocket in RocketBladez irons flexes and rebounds at impact, increasing the speed of the face to promote faster ball speed and a higher, stronger ball flight that lands on a steep, quick-stopping descent angle. This Speed Pocket advantage is especially effective on impacts made low on the face.

- BW

[quote name='ngray734' timestamp='1351097185' post='5839393']
I play mainly Taylormade clubs now and am still playing my older set of original RAC LT's. Are the Rocketbladez going to be a set with similar feel and forgiveness? I've had a hard time finding an iron with the feel, forgiveness and workablity of the LT's. Are the Tour's getting a good response in terms of a soft feel?
[/quote]

Yes. We believe that the RocketBladez Tour are going to deliver better forgiveness, distance and feel without sacrificing workability of the LTs in your case. These irons are getting fantastic feedback from the best players in the world in terms of performance and feel. A great example is Sean O’Hair who was a HUGE fan of the LTs and he is the first player to put RocketBladez Tour in play on the PGA Tour.

- BB

[quote name='carlt9817' timestamp='1351112972' post='5840715']
How does your slot technology differ from the technology that was in the Wilson Staff reflex irons that were produced and sold many years before you guys? Looks very similar.
[/quote]

[b]Hi - going to "borrow" my pal BW's reply in question #257 (pasted below) since he just posted it and goes into great detail about the technology. Thanks for the question. - GG [/b]

[b]From Bret -> We started developing the Speed Pocket in our RocketBallz fairway woods and hybrids and RocketBladez irons simultaneously in an attempt to increase clubface COR to promote increased distance. However, the additional 17 yards that better players have gotten from RocketBallz metalwoods is the result of several innovations working in conjunction to boost the speed of the face – the Speed Pocket, the flexible crown and the forward CG location. Likewise, RocketBladez’ distance-enhancing COR is the product of a variety of TaylorMade advancements working together including a highly sophisticated, ultra-thin face design, an extremely large unsupported face-area made possible by the large head and deep cavity-undercut, our unique Inverted Cone technology, the Speed Pocket, and an exceptionally low and centered CG location. The result is a COR measurement that’s higher than any other TaylorMade iron to date, and over 20 points higher than the Wilson Reflex. And it’s important to point out that our unique combination of design features and mass properties not only delivers a faster clubface, but also a clubhead that launches the ball significantly higher (leading to softer, faster-stopping landings), that feels great, and that delivers a significantly higher level of consistency across the face for precise distance-control from shot to shot.

- BW[/b]

Thanks for the opportunity to answer some of our questions.

I see a lot of equipment companies claiming huge gains in iron distances. Now, wether that's because of stronger lofts or hotter faces, I don't know. But, with irons, I really don't care wether it's a 9 iron I hit 150 or an 8 iron. I only want something that will be consistent and easy to get up in the air. What benefit is there to having irons that give you huge distance increases? I don't doubt that there is benefits, I just want to hear them from an industry leader!

Thanks!

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Thanks for making the cavity design of the Rocketbladez Tours clean and with a modern design flair. Much appreciated considering how some cavity backs are filled with...anyway, on to my questions.

1) Does that notch starting in the back of the cavity and wrapping around the heel have a performance purpose? Or is it more of a design flair like the crease on a Ferrari California?

2) Can you discuss the layout of your iron line? While I realize you can't discuss distant future products, it appears that the MCs are being replaced by the R Tours, the R11s by the non Tour Rocketbladez, and you have the RBZs to fill the higher handicap line. Are we to anticipate a high end blade (typical of TM, with a spin of multi exotic material and or modern design tweaks?

9* TM M5 w/GD AD BB-6
15* TM M6 w/Atmos
19* TM SIM Max w/Ventus Blue
Callaway Apex '19 w/KBS Tour
Callaway MD5 54*
Callaway PM Grind '19 58*
Odyssey StrokeLab Ten S (Tour only NO sightline) 33"

[quote name='valdezrl' timestamp='1351097500' post='5839411']
What design features have been implemented to ensure there is not a distance/performance gap between the 7-iron with a slot and 8-iron without? I would be concerned the slot would lead to a very "hot" 7-iron and leave a large distance gap to the 8 iron.
[/quote]

Great question. We've answered this one a few times - I think you can find what you're looking for at #247 in this thread.

Appreciate it.

- BW

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1351187344' post='5845061']
[quote name='Guch' timestamp='1351107045' post='5840293']
It seems like tour players are hitting longer and longer distances with not only their drivers, but irons as well. Was their any sacrifice in accuracy or workability in the efforts to get more distance from an iron? Also, how much of TaylorMade's new designs were influenced by the acquisition of Adams?
[/quote]

[b]There have been no sacrifices, the workability has been maintained through shaping and the ball speed improvements from the the speed pocket are amazing. Testing on the RBladez Tour irons have shown that the area on the face before you lose 1% of your speed is 5 times greater than our Tour Preferred MC. [color=#ff0000]Essentially, the sweet spot has become 5 times greater. This is a big reason why Tour players gravitate towards this iron.[/color] As it relates to distance, any gain you have seen from players in irons are more related to the golf ball and their physical condition. On the PGA Tour, if you take 50th on the list in driving distance, it's over 30 yards longer in the last 20 years. RBZ fairway woods gave players 17 yards in increased distance, there hasn't been an iron that could bridge the gap to the modern day metalwood and maintain consistency throughout the entire set. The Adams acquisition had no influence in the development of these irons. -BB[/b]
[/quote]
Forgive me for asking, but don't tour players already hit the sweetspot pretty much mechanically every swing? I would guess in my opinion that amateurs would be a better target for a larger sweetspot, as they are the ones missing the sweetspot far more often.

Trajectory here as been talked about a lot.

1.)What would you suggest to someone who already hits the ball plenty high? I would like to try these irons but i don't need any height added to my iron shots.
2.)The technology is made for the longer irons to higher and the shorter irons to hit lower correct? besides center of gravity, has the shaft choice of KBS helped integrate these different, more preferred flight patterns?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my questions!

[quote name='907isTerrible' timestamp='1351112845' post='5840705'] For TaylorMade Golf irons, what would you say the biggest innovative breakthrough is? I'm going to be quite honest, I've never owned TaylorMade irons, but have owned a few of the woods. The only iron I've tried is the TM Tour Preferred MB, which were quite good. To elaborate on the question, with so many new TM products/competitors' products coming out year after year, do you see these RocketBladez irons being a new industry standard in terms of a GI club that suits both amateur and professional golfers? Thanks! [/quote]

Without question, it’s the speed pocket. The Speed Pocket unlocked performance doors that we didn’t even know existed in an iron. We believe these irons are true game changers. Never before has anyone been able to increase distance, increase launch angle, dramatically improve distance control in a package that looks as good as RocketBladez. They also provide great feel and feedback. We honestly haven’t been as excited about a new product introduction really since 2004, when we brought out r7 Quad (which introduced adjustability to the world). One of the reasons you are seeing such great iron innovations and an increase in iron performance from us in the last several years has really been because of the cross pollination of our metal wood and iron teams. Our engineers work together to share technology, leanings, and ideas. We believe this technology is going to change the uniform on tour which has always been about forged muscle backs and cavity backs. Going forward, we believe it will be about offering true performance. RocketBladez and RocketBladez Tour irons will lead the way.

-ST

[quote name='jmygolf' timestamp='1351108647' post='5840409'] Never cared what an iron looks like except from the sole up (playability) and the top down (confidence). The back is irrelevant to looks as long as it is engineered to give the CG placement its proper location for performance. Having said that, when did the notion to react to the "outcry" for a more forgiving, less offset club with clean looks come about? I know that TM people were listening to GolfWRX members and posts, so what made the time now to bring an entry like this to the market? In the past it was always that there wasnt a market for this type of club. Thank goodness that it is soon here. [/quote]

[b]We're always listening and take what you are saying into consideration. Make no mistake, the RBladez Tour iron had one goal in mind, provide the look, feel, and playability that the best players in the world would love and completely surprise them with the added performance of the speed pocket technology. As it relates to CG, we spent a considerable amount of time positioning the CG to optimize trajectory and efficiency. I like your thought process and think this design will be in your wheelhouse. -BB[/b]

[quote name='harrow33' timestamp='1351097587' post='5839421'] I know alot of this technology came from your RBZ (Rocket Ballz) line but did your partnership with CCM give any insight to this technology as well because you did something very similiar with the blade of the hockey stick and the speed slot in the new Rocketbladez Irons. Isnt the stick also called Rocket bladez as well? Thanks [/quote]

[b]The short answer here is no. The inspiration for the RocketBladez irons was drawn from our own technologies in RocketBallz fairway woods and Rescues and we began parallel development of the technology a number of years ago. That said, we have really enjoyed the partnership with CCM and think their joint breakthrough with RBZ technology in hockey is pretty freaking cool.

- GG[/b]

Thanks for coming on today Taylormade! I am curious, do you have any plans of creating a hybrid set with these irons, or perhaps I could ask about how playable the 3 and 4 irons in the Rocketbladez set would be vs. any of your hybrid clubs. I am very intrigued by your design and might look seriously at a set of these irons! Great Work!

Titleist TSR4 Graphite Design Tour AD GP-6X

Titleist TSi3 15 Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 75X   

Callaway Apex UW 19 Project X HZRDUS RDX 80 6.5

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Project X LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 50.12F True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.12D True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 60.04T True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport+

Thanks TM this is awesome!!!

I tend to play in incredibly windy conditions. Since these irons launch higher, and come with a lighter shaft, will i have a hard time keeping the ball low if i need to? My ability to control height is much more important to me then shaping shots, or achieving distance.

Because the higher, longer ball off the long irons, will I no longer beable to hit a low boring shot with the RBladez Tour irons?

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

[quote name='Pack7483' timestamp='1351114487' post='5840825'] Thanks TM! I keep reading the speed slot technology initially worked so good that you guys had to scale it back to keep things in control? If so is there any chance we could see say a 1 or 2 iron that matches the set, but that unleashes all the potential of the speed slot for max distance and forgiveness off the tee or deck? I would love to see what this technology could do when maxed out. I think this would be fantastic for someone like me who just doesn't feel as comfortable with a hybrid, but love the forgiveness they provide over a long iron. [/quote]

Perhaps

-ST

[quote name='Sakman' timestamp='1351187563' post='5845095']
[quote name='CallawayLefty' timestamp='1351187425' post='5845073']
I have a very important question. Could one of the TM guys please respond to this so that I can get in the drawing for a set of these?

See, very important question.

Thanks!
[/quote]

Your screen name may be a deterrent.
[/quote]

Yes, but hopefully the $530 R11s in my signature that I just bought a month ago gets me some street cred.

Come on TM - let's let a lefty get some action for once. Hook it up!!!!!

[quote name='TerpInTime' timestamp='1351094447' post='5839129'] Obviously the Speed Pocket is an unconventional change to cavity design, do you see further changes and manipulations to the cavity area in the future? Are there unexplored areas of cavity design that TaylorMade has/will consider for future sets? Thanks for your time! And an awesome looking set! [/quote]

As the cross-sections of the RocketBladez irons show, you are right in recognizing that the face/cavity/slot structure is quite unique in terms of iron design. These features on the iron are really the engine that drive the performance benefits. Greater face flexion at center face, and more consistent flexion across the entire lower region of the face produce the added distance and greater distance control. We are continually exploring the evolution of our designs to push for greater performance, and this area will remain a focus for R&D.

- BW

[quote name='HackerDav31' timestamp='1351110372' post='5840517'] Since the tour model of the Rocketbladez isn't forged, is the polymer fill in the speed slot creating a softened feel that more closely resembles a forged club? I noticed that Sean O'Hair says that they feel forged in his video, so I'm wondering if it has to do with the polymer or with the soft casting and advancements in that process. Thanks WRX and TM!! [/quote]

[b]It's a combination of shape, polymer fill in the speed pocket, and the dampening of the badge in the cavity. I can tell you it feels like forged, but the only way you'll believe me is by going out and hitting it. I can say that several Tour have raved about the feel. -BB[/b]