LIVE ROCKETBLADEZ Q&A with TaylorMade! Thursday, Oct. 25 1-3PM ET! Win RBLADEZ TOUR IRONS!

HipCheck

[quote name='Par-A-Medic' timestamp='1351120385' post='5841275'] Thanks TMAG for the chance to take a look at what we have all been waiing for. My questions may have already been asked but i have two totally unrelated With previous tmag irons (excluding the tp line), the ability to work the ball left,right, high, and low on command was mostly lost with the inverted cone, hot face etc. Will these cast irons have the tour playability of the the forged tp's with the hot distance of the burner and rbz line? to put it another way are thes a players gi iron? Second question is very simple. Investing a grand in a set of irons i want them to last a while, what is the "wear life" of the polymer insert. I can see this as an issue for those of us that plan on using the irons or a few years. Thanks again, cant wait to swing these [/quote]

I would call RocketBladez Tour irons the greatest improvement in a players iron ever. That includes overall performance (distance, trajectory, angle of descent, workability, consistency, feel and looks). We think they will go down as the standard by which all others are measured.

We do extensive durability testing with our clubs and don’t anticipate the polymer insert being an issue.

-ST

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Ghost_Orchid' timestamp='1351117924' post='5841117'] TM does it again. Q. With lower CG promoting high launch, how will these play in the wind? Q. I don't like the AP2 because the polymer insert makes them feel 'mushy' (using Penta balls), how will the Rocketbladez compare? **very subjective question, please do your best to give an answer* [/quote]

[b]They are somewhat of a flighted set of irons which help control short irons and improve trajectories in the long irons. They mid-long irons launch higher, have higher peak trajectory, and similar spin to previous long irons. So, expect a higher flight without ballooning. To your point, feel is extremely subjective, every iron has its own signature sound and feel. We tested these with many of our Tour players who play Penta and not one said they felt mushy or anything like that. -BB[/b]

[quote name='kmca' timestamp='1351117060' post='5841033']
Will there not be a distance gap between the 7 iron and 8 iron created by the speed slot.
[/quote]

[b]I'm borrowing from Bret again for this question (since he's such a smart guy and just answered this). Basically, the greatest gains are seen in the long irons -- but Bret says it better. - GG[/b]

[b]From Bret -> The biggest distance gains in the RocketBladez Tour irons will be experienced in the 3-4 iron. These heads have the most aggressive face and pocket designs, and will also demonstrate the largest consistency gains, because of the way which the pocket is activated. But as you work down to the short irons the flex of the face does less to influence distance and distance control as much. This is due to loft and the oblique nature of the impact with a higher-lofted club head. The 8, 9, and PW still feature the face design changes, and CG management and the gapping across the set will match really well. The milled face and grooves also contribute more to control and consistency in the short irons as compared to the long irons.

- BW[/b]

I have played the R9 TP B and the older Tour Burners from 2008 (?). Typically a long-time blade player, the only offset club I have had any success with was the Tour Burners, I can't find the offset numbers of that set in any archive, how is the club going to compare. I know that there were numerous Tour players who used some of the Tour Burner long irons until the conforming groove changes.

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

[quote name='javierruis' timestamp='1351115970' post='5840949'] With the "Freakishly Longer" AD campaign, much of the emphasis seems to revolve around the long distances these irons produce. Can you speak about the forgiveness that is built into them? [/quote]

[b]The new Inverted Cone and clubface design together projects the ball straight down the target line when the face reflexes at impact, instead of at a slight angle as previous fast-faced irons often have. We started making this kind of improvement in how the ball comes off the face in our RocketBallz irons. The Speed Pocket advantage is especially effective on impacts made low on the face, TaylorMade studies indicate that 72% of iron shots hit by amateur golfers are struck below center face.[/b]

[b]The RocketBladez and RocketBladez Tour are designed to be our longest, most consistent distance irons but also incredibly forgiving.

- GG[/b]

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1351189307' post='5845313']
[quote name='CTEagle' timestamp='1351119147' post='5841199'] Are there any plans to come out with a utility iron with speed pocket technology? [/quote]

[b]Is that something you would like to see? -[/b][b]BB[/b]
[/quote]

This would sell very well! count me in as i think this would be a great technology to add to utility irons! Almost a replacement to hybrids if you add the rocketbladez with a speedpocket utility iron or 2.

[quote name='Pritam' timestamp='1351119415' post='5841215'] Looking forward to trying these irons out. My question is: I have and average swingspeed. Is there a certain swing speed that is required to activate the speedslot technology? [/quote]

[b]No.[/b] [b]Because of the incorporation of the Speed Pocket into the RocketBladez and RocketBladez Tour irons, all players will experience the benefit of the added speed that the clubface promotes. There is not a certain swing speed threshold that “activates” the trampoline effect, persay; rather, the clubs are designed to increase ball speed for players of all abilities.[/b]

[b]- GG[/b]

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1351186842' post='5845009']
[quote name='ryldawg' timestamp='1351112098' post='5840667']
As a person in the industry that will have to do fittings for these irons (assuming a lot of fittings given the hype!). I'm wondering what is the ideal spin we should look to maximize distant for players with these irons? Has it changed with the slot being added? Does it stay the same? Will a player benefit more by playing a lighter shaft with this club as the industry seems to be pushing or go heavier. I for one know that it would be a great benefit to have materials to show the public. Look Taylormade says try to get these spin numbers average joe consumer and the Rocketbladez will be maximized for you. Thanks for your time.
[/quote]

[b]The Speed Pocket will your golfers more ball speed, higher launch angle, similar spin rates, higher peak trajectory, and steeper landing angles. This will make a ball go farther and the golfer will have more control over distance. In terms of shaft options, we offer a lightweight 85g shaft in steel, and lightweight 65g shaft in graphite and we feel these performs best with the head design. Good luck with all of the fittings and thanks for your support. - GG[/b]
[/quote]

Thanks for answering my question. I can't wait to hit them. From all indications I think you have a winner on your hands!

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1351188209' post='5845191']
[quote name='CallawayLefty' timestamp='1351097726' post='5839433'] [quote name='Lefty66' timestamp='1351095893' post='5839267'] [list] [*]I am interested to know why the tour irons are not offered in left hand? Will this change in the future? [/list] [/quote] I second this question. Please show the lefty love. After my recent r11s purchase, I'm considering going all TM with my next set! Is that notch on the hosel of the Tour version for lie adjustment purposes? Also - it looks like the AW to the set is a completely different design than the rest of the clubs - any comments on that? Thanks! [/quote]

We are making LH in RocketBladez Tour. Yes, the notch is for loft and lie adjustment purposes.

Thanks for the questions.

- BW
[/quote]
Thanks for the notch, bending previous TM cast clubs has been very difficult!

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

[quote name='DRRicks' timestamp='1351119303' post='5841211'] How will these hold up in windy conditions? Is the increase in trajectory a result of increased spin? [/quote]

[b]Increase in trajectory is more influenced by the higher launch than increased spin in this design and for that reason, they will hold up well in the wind and not balloon. -BB[/b]

When you account for the distance gap on your website did you take into consideration the different lofts and shafts of different clubs? Or is this just your 21deg 4 iron vs someone else's 24 deg 4 iron? I feel this is the #1 marketing technique to say that a club is longer.

THANKS for taking the time to answer!!!!

[quote name='scotee' timestamp='1351110201' post='5840505']
With words like “trampoline effect” being used in describing this pocket speed innovation is there a concern about violating the rules or the spirit of the rules with regard to the COR ruling? In other words is it likely that this technology will be seen as a loophole to thwart that ruling?
[/quote] [b]Many of our iron innovations during the past few years have been focused on creating faster faces with higher COR. Going all the way back to our r7 CGB Max irons, and really kicking into high gear with the Burner 09, we have created irons with “trampoline effect” that generate faster ball speed and overall better performance. All of these products were submitted to the USGA, which reviewed them for conformance and found to conform to the Rules of Golf. The process with the RocketBladez was no different. We respect the rules for conforming equipment and have no intention of violating them.[/b]

The irons look very intriguing...I like how you are able to see a lot of the technology in it. If you had to guess, how much of the market share do you think iron will take up. What are you guys planning on having this iron go up against in the market? Great product as always, I am excited to try them out. A very exciting time for TM!!!

Callaway Rogue KK TiNi 7x
Callaway Rogue Tour AD
Callaway X Forged Project X LZ 6.5
Callaway MD4 Wedges Project X LZ 6.5
Odyssey #7
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='tyro' timestamp='1351120648' post='5841305'] First off, thanks to all those involved for making this Q&A thing happen. How much more forgiving will the Standard version be compared to the Tour model? Care to give a general target handicap range for each? [/quote]

One of the biggest differences in the RocketBladez version is they have a very progressive design, meaning that the long irons are designed to be very forgiving and while they hit the golf ball very far, they also hit the ball very high. The set transitions more abruptly down into the short irons where the performance is somewhat more traditional.

The performance change in RocketBladez Tour is also progressive, the design is less extreme that the RocketBladez version.

RocketBladez: Tour players-30 handicap
RocketBladez Tour: Tour players-15 handicap

-ST

[quote name='dthomcat' timestamp='1351121235' post='5841337'] Over a long period of time will the Speed slot loose any of it's effect? Has it been tested enough to be sure the clubs integrity will last for a long period of time? Thanks. [/quote]

[b]Yes, the RocketBladez and RocketBladez Tour irons have gone through rigorous durability testing. The Speed Pocket will [u]not[/u] "lose its effect" over a period of time.

- GG[/b]

[quote name='scotee' timestamp='1351110201' post='5840505']
With words like “trampoline effect” being used in describing this pocket speed innovation is there a concern about violating the rules or the spirit of the rules with regard to the COR ruling? In other words is it likely that this technology will be seen as a loophole to thwart that ruling?
[/quote] [b]Many of our iron innovations during the past few years have been focused on creating faster faces with higher COR. Going all the way back to our r7 CGB Max irons, and really kicking into high gear with the Burner 09, we have created irons with “trampoline effect” that generate faster ball speed and overall better performance. All of these products were submitted to the USGA, which reviewed them for conformance and found to conform to the Rules of Golf. The process with the RocketBladez was no different. We respect the rules for conforming equipment and have no intention of violating them.[/b]

[quote name='judoguy888' timestamp='1351189425' post='5845327']
[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1351189307' post='5845313']
[quote name='CTEagle' timestamp='1351119147' post='5841199'] Are there any plans to come out with a utility iron with speed pocket technology? [/quote]

[b]Is that something you would like to see? -[/b][b]BB[/b]
[/quote]

This would sell very well! count me in as i think this would be a great technology to add to utility irons! Almost a replacement to hybrids if you add the rocketbladez with a speedpocket utility iron or 2.
[/quote]

<cough> And your competitors are doing it <cough>

Hopefully a whole new setup coming soon!

Ping Anser 2 putter