LIVE ROCKETBLADEZ Q&A with TaylorMade! Thursday, Oct. 25 1-3PM ET! Win RBLADEZ TOUR IRONS!

HipCheck

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Princeton TN' timestamp='1351190635' post='5845473']
I have noticed that the Players irons, MB and MC in most retailers are on sale... Will Rocketbladez replace those two lines or is there a MB Type design that we will be seeing very soon? How many of your staffers will be putting the RBladez into play?
[/quote]

[b]Yes, the RocketBladez and RocketBladez Tour irons represent our marquee franchises in the iron category for next year. RocketBladez Tour is our players' iron for 2013 - you will not see an "MB" or any additional players' iron in the market. We hope and believe all our staffers will be putting the new irons in play.

- GG[/b]

[quote name='clebrowns85' timestamp='1351128381' post='5841847'] Hi TMaG, Just wondering if there are any plans to put the speed slot in hybrids or any other club? Also, if the speed slot is supposed to lead to a higher launch, will there be an increased spin rate that would result in balooning? Thanks and I would love to find out for myself with a new set :taunt: [/quote]

If we can find performance benefits, we would use Speed Pocket in other clubs. And...The Sped Pocket increases launch and peak trajectory. Will not balloon.

-ST

[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1351126985' post='5841741'] Why does the speed slot appear to be curved? Am I seeing something that is not there? If it is curved, what are the benefits? BTW, can't wait to try the Tour irons. [/quote]

[b]The speed pocket appears to be curved, especially in the mid irons, but it is in fact parallel to the face. It is the curvature and camber of the sole that give it that allusion. Glad you're as excited as we are! -BB[/b]

[quote name='riche46' timestamp='1351124449' post='5841579']
How does the head design, and specifically the Rocketbladez line influence the descent angle? The release info states that the ball will descend at a steeper angle. Thanks!
[/quote]

[b]The steeper descent angle is achieved by higher launch angle and increased ball speed, providing a higher peak trajectory. (All of this is possible due to Speed Pocket, thin face, and optimal CG).[/b]

[b]- BW [/b]

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1351189984' post='5845391']
[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1351128182' post='5841829']
So...what is the deal with Wilson?
[/quote]

[b]Please see #257 in this thread. Thanks.

- GG[/b]
[/quote]

I am just curious though; I understand you have more tech going on than the Wilson design. Just asking if the Wilson tech is in there somewhere?

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='grantr' timestamp='1351128051' post='5841815'] The irons look great! I know they are meant to deliver a higher ball flight and steeper angle of descent. But how do they perform in the wind? Is it still possible to control trajectory and hit knockdown shots, etc? Thanks. [/quote]

[b]This is a good question, several people have asked it. Please refer to answer #393.[/b]

[quote name='Brianbigoats' timestamp='1351128158' post='5841825']
How durable is the 3m polymer is sun going to have an effect on it?
[/quote]

[b]Our engineers performed extensive testing on this polymer which included thousands of cycles of turf interaction and UV testing. We don't anticipate any problems with sun exposure.[/b]

[b]- BW[/b]

[quote name='Rebel420' timestamp='1351135964' post='5842449'] First, a huge thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. I am sure these clubs perform, like all of your other offerings have, quite well. Great choice in picking Pittsburgh Steelers colors, btw ;) Oh, and my address is on file if I am lucky enough to win a set, or you can get my specs from my fitter and ship to his location... i'm not picky! Unfortunately I cannot be online so here are a couple questions I have... 1. do the Tour versions have the ATV grind? 2. Your moving the clubhead weight behind the sweet spot in the MB/MC/CB/R11 started a trend that others have copied, so it obviously worked. Now that the weighting is more 'incognito' and not as blatant, would that be adjustable when selecting different shafts? or would traditional hosel weighting or lead tape be necessary? 3. The pictures of the regular RocketBladez heads look a bit larger than some. How do the Regular and Tour version heads compare in size to the R11, CB, MC and MB offerings? [/quote]

[b]1. The A wedge in the Tour set does not have the ATV sole design.
2. Yes, you can select a custom shaft and we'll target the stock swingweight. You can always ask for a custom swingweight.
3. The RocketBladez Tour irons would be most like an MC and the RocketBladez is a more compact version of the Burner 2.0

- GG[/b]

[quote name='JJGolo' timestamp='1351133066' post='5842245'] I really love my R9TP set. What performance benefits will I enjoy when/if I switch to the Tours? [/quote]

Thanks for the question. The performance from the Speed Pocket will blow you away. More consistency, higher launch, more distance from mid and long irons, steeper angle of descent. The shape is beautiful.

-ST

[quote name='Princeton TN' timestamp='1351191237' post='5845563']
[quote name='natp0wers' timestamp='1351190984' post='5845525']
Can you custom order the tour version with less offset?
[/quote]
heck it has the least amount of offset in an iron they have made in the last 5 years already?
and I am sure your not a staffer!!!
[/quote]

This is a Q & A, lets keep the negativity to a minimum. Stay classy my friend.

Callaway, Titleist, Miura, Mizuno, Piretti

[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1351114226' post='5840803']
I've come across numerous posts that talk about these irons being easier to bend that their cast counterparts.

My question:

In terms of their willingness to bend without breaking, how do these irons compare to other cast irons and also forged irons as well?

Thanks very much for your time!
[/quote] [b]Excellent question. With the use of higher and higher strength alloys in irons to facilitate thinner structures and better performance, you[/b][b]’re right about bendability and customization becoming a challenge. RocketBladez irons have a unique new feature on the back of the hosel, a notch in the diameter which reduces the cross-section locally. This feature, along with an internal recess, greatly help to ease bendability on these irons (cast from 17-4 and 450 SS). They will bend more easily than RocketBallz and Burner 2.0 irons. However, while bending is improved, don’t expect all the ease you find in forged, carbon steel product.[/b]

[quote name='BirdieBob' timestamp='1351186877' post='5845011']
[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1351186528' post='5844969']
[quote name='Blakester' timestamp='1351096021' post='5839275'] How do the RocketBladz Tour compare in feel and distance versus other hollow-head competitor's irons - like Titleist AP2, Mizuno MPH4,Cobra AMP Forged...etc? [/quote]

[b]We believe that RocketBladez Tour irons feel and perform better than any product in their competitive set. If you’d like to see how they compare in terms of distance to competitive irons, please check out the chart on our website by visiting: [url="http://o{"]http://taylormadegol...z,en_US,pg.html[/url][/b]

[b]- GG[/b]
[/quote]

Not getting this to open?
[/quote]

Try this link: http://taylormadegolf.com/rocketbladez/rocketbladez,en_US,pg.html

[quote name='PKMillerJr' timestamp='1351140134' post='5842631'] [size="2"][color="black"]Hi TM!:[/color][/size] [size="2"][color="black"]I think you have a major hit here on your hands with the new RocketBladez and RocketBladez Tour irons.[/color][/size] [size="2"][color="black"]On your web site, [url="http://www.taylormadegolf.com/"]www.taylormadegolf.com[/url], you highlight the Speed Pocket in this new line of irons and shows the benefits of this new design. The Speed Pocket improves distance, distance-feel, and control. Faster ball speed and a higher stronger ball flight resulting in a steep quick-stopping descent angle are promoted. I noticed that the set of irons is produced in 3 - 9 iron, PW and AW. A diagram on the web site shows a much larger sweet spot compared to conventional irons. [/color][/size] [size="2"][color="black"]My first question is why did the engineers put the Speed Slot only in the 3 - 7 irons and not in the 8 - PW and AW. Would the Speed Slot not have been beneficial also in the shorter irons? I have heard that the speed slot was not as beneficial in the more lofted irons.[/color][/size] [size="2"][color="black"]My second question is why were these irons not forged?[/color][/size] [size="2"][color="black"]Will there be a forged version in the future?[/color][/size] [size="2"][color="black"]My fourth question is in regards to the gaps in lofts from iron to iron. I noticed the gaps were not consistent in loft club to club. The gaps between irons are as follows: (Tour Model)[/color][/size] [size="2"][color="black"]3 - 4: 3 degrees[/color][/size] [size="2"][color="black"]4 - 5: 3.25 degrees[/color][/size] [size="2"][color="black"]5 - 6: 4.25 degrees[/color][/size] [size="2"][color="black"]6 - 7: 4.25 degrees[/color][/size] [size="2"][color="black"]7 - 8: 4.25 degrees[/color][/size] [size="2"][color="black"]8 - 9: 4 degrees[/color][/size] [size="2"][color="black"]9 - PW: 5 degrees[/color][/size] [size="2"][color="black"]PW - AW: 4.5 degrees[/color][/size] [size="2"][color="black"]I was wondering how the lofts were decided on. This is not a criticism. I am curious about the thought process that goes into designing clubs.[/color][/size] [size="2"][color="black"]My next two questions are in regards to the KBS tour shafts as being the standard offering. Why did TM decide on this shaft over the TT DG or TT DG SL? Also, the KBS tour shaft is listed as flighted under trajectory for the specifications but is listed as mid trajectory under custom. Is this an error on the web site or are these two different shafts with the flighted being a special proprietary design specifically for TM?[/color][/size] [size="2"][color="black"]My final question is will there ever be a 2 iron offered?[/color][/size] [size="2"][color="black"]Thank you for your time.[/color][/size] [/quote]

Please see answers #247 and #378

Thanks.

- BB

Thanks for answering all the questions, I asked earlier about weight distribution after the slot weight was removed. This pertains to that. I am a club builder and interested in how you would add or remove weight to maintain a certain swing weight when a different shaft either heavier (PX or C Taper) or lighter (Aerotech i70 or 80) was installed? How does this effect the Rbladez Tour - launch, trajectory etc...

The R11, MB, CB and MC all had one on the back of the head that you (TM) adjusted for this, but the RBladz does not. I liked the idea that the added or subtracted weight was in the back NOT moving the CG like shaft/hosel weights do (closer to the use of lead tape by many). I would assume if weight is added to the heel, it would pull the CG back into the middle on the face....

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1351191452' post='5845583']
[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1351114226' post='5840803']
I've come across numerous posts that talk about these irons being easier to bend that their cast counterparts.

My question:

In terms of their willingness to bend without breaking, how do these irons compare to other cast irons and also forged irons as well?

Thanks very much for your time!
[/quote] [b]Excellent question. With the use of higher and higher strength alloys in irons to facilitate thinner structures and better performance, you[/b][b]’re right about bendability and customization becoming a challenge. RocketBladez irons have a unique new feature on the back of the hosel, a notch in the diameter which reduces the cross-section locally. This feature, along with an internal recess, greatly help to ease bendability on these irons (cast from 17-4 and 450 SS). They will bend more easily than RocketBallz and Burner 2.0 irons. However, while bending is improved, don’t expect all the ease you find in forged, carbon steel product.[/b]
[/quote]

:rockon:

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[quote name='BCC' timestamp='1351136519' post='5842477']
Your website indicates that the hosel design allows for easier adjustments for loft and lie. Some cast clubs such as the R9TP, R11, RBZ, Burner series were brutal to make even 1* loft adjustments. What type steel is used in the Tour model and what is your recommended loft/lie adjustment capability ??? Thanks for taking time to help us out........
[/quote]

[b]We continue to offer +/- 4 degrees in lie and +/- 2 degrees in loft through custom. Both the external and internal hosel feature designed into both RBladez and RBladez Tour make these irons easier to bend than previous models. We added these features because we needed strong materials to create the performance. In the Tour model, we utilize two different materials, we use 431 ss for 8-AW and 17-4 ss in the long irons. -BB[/b]

[quote name='SteveL1' timestamp='1351140364' post='5842645'] I'm confused. Your marketing has been geared toward "Freakishly longer" but everything I've seen says that the slot is more for aiding with off center hits. Which is it? If it is in fact creating more length, how does one deal with the increased yardage gap between the 7 & 8 irons? Also, is the sole grind more for a sweeper or a digger and are the tour and regular offerings similar in this respect? Thanks for taking the time to answer some of our questions. [/quote]

Please see #247 in this thread for your first question. The sole design was created with the majority of the Tour players in mind. We softened the leading edge and added a little more camber to the sole to prevent digging compared to an MC.

- BB

[quote name='rajskier' timestamp='1351143223' post='5842757'] How much of an upgrade is this iron over your previous offerings? i've been gaming the R7 TP's since launch and haven't had a need to replace them. [/quote]

[b]The r7 TP was a nice model, but the performance benefits, consistency, higher trajectory, and more distance in the RBladez Tour would be hard to walk away from. -BB[/b]

[quote name='OninTwo82' timestamp='1351137892' post='5842541']
A big thank you to Taylormade and GolfWRX for taking the time to educate all of us about this exciting new iron!

I understand the technology and am curious what type of gapping is anticipated with set?
Brett Wahl told me to anticipate 11-13 becoming more "standard" gapping last spring and am curious if that gapping is what is intended for this set?

I think it would be ideal if the longer irons would provide for the longer gapping to keep up with the TERRIFIC gains players have had with the Rocketballz Metal woods and Rescues. I understand the lack of the slot in the shorter irons to narrow the gaps and also provide for a traditional launch condition.
Very happy to see KBS as the stock shaft, nearly all of the fittings I did this year for the RBZ seemed to prefer the feel of the KBS.

Looking forward to another great year for Tmag. Thanks again!
[/quote]

[b]Glad to have the chance to talk with you again (this is Bret). [/b][b]We are looking forward to the year too![/b]

[b]In the past, long irons had smaller gaps than the short irons. With RocketBladez we created consistent gapping throughout the whole set. Regarding your question about 11-13yd gaps, remember any distance gaps are player dependent but an 11-13yd gap sounds reasonable to me for a good player. (Tour testing shows gaps up to 15 yds).[/b]

[b]- BW[/b]

[size=6][b][color=#B22222]OUR LIVE QUESTION SUBMISSION PERIOD HAS ENDED.
PLEASE DO NOT ASK ANY MORE QUESTIONS.[/color][/b][/size]

Thank you TaylorMade Golf for taking the time out of your busy schedules to join GolfWRX members in answering questions about the new RocketBladez Iron line.

[b]TaylorMade will continue to answer some of the questions that have already been asked for a short time.[/b]

Thanks to everyone who participated. We hope this was as informative for you as it was for us.

- Rob

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

[quote name='BLS54' timestamp='1351164954' post='5843151'] I'm currently carrying 6 Iron (2 degrees strong) through wedges - what will be the price structure for single irons or a short set (6 Iron through Gap Wedge) - pretty happy with my current combination of hybirds. thanks for taking my question [/quote]

[b]A single RocketBladez Tour iron will be roughly $112 before taxes - ($899/8).

You will be able to order a short set.

Thanks for your question.

- GG[/b]

[quote name='displayname' timestamp='1351140700' post='5842665']
If the speed slot is the true technology allowing extra forgiveness and increased accuracy, can we expect to see an actual blade or slight muscle back with a seed slot. Allowing for more feel, tour look/workability, lower flight, but still get that forgiveness and consistent shots on thin shots, or slightly off center shots?
[/quote]

[b]Is this something you'd like to see? Overall, we're excited about this new technology and the possibilities it provides.[/b]

[b]- BB[/b]

[quote name='GeoffStarr' timestamp='1351169571' post='5843359']
I'm sure this has been asked before but why is there no slot after the 7 iron? Example, If I hit my 7 iron 170 with my burners and the rocketbladez increase on that, won't that leave me with a huge gap between 7 and the 8 iron I can hit 160. Are these an addition to the range or replace a particular model?
[/quote]

Please see No. 247.

Thanks.

BB