Will leaving Titleist hurt Rory McIlroy's game? His 5 biggest hurdles

Everyone is freaking out like as soon as he signs with someone they will force him to play whatever. I understand that for a company to pay him 250 million they will certainly have some "demands" and there will always be compromise here and there; but I feel the companies also see the value in their players playing well.

Besides every person that frequents this site, I seriously doubt Golfer Joe Shmoe will realize/care what actual clubs he has in play. It's more about brand recognition for the masses. I realize its a little different, but look at Donald. People may figure out he isn't playing a Mizzy driver when they can't find the "White Luke Donald Version" at their local golf shop, but overall the general golfing community isn't as aware as we give them credit. I can't tell you how many times I've been paired with someone that is playing an off the rack driver/shaft combo and I sit there quietly while they talk about how they "play the same driver/clubs as (insert current popular player here)."

And as far as putter/wedges/balls... How many guys can you name that are not Titleist guys but play Scotty Cameron, vokey, and pro v's? I know tiger is always the exception, but Anthony Kim (irrelevant?) was playing a Scotty for the longest time too.

Like I said I know a company willing to pay the big bucks is gonna want a package deal, but there is always some wiggle room. Also, I believe he is good enough that any company has something similar enough to his current equipment or can find something that will work.

After all that, I'm sad to see him leave Titleist but my bag will not change because of him.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Jc0' timestamp='1351637929' post='5869429']
5. He just changed drivers. It won't be that big of a move to a new one.

4. Nike won't make him change fairways. Tigers been using the same 5 wood for years. Don't think they will care as long as its not a current model

3. He gets a personal grinder to make his wedges. There is no way he won't get what he wants.

2. Tiger didn't change from the cameron for years. Don't think nike would make him change imidiatly

1. Nike has like 100 different prototypes for golf balls and they make custom protos for people. He'll get a good a ball.
[/quote]

They have "like 100 different prototypes"?

That should be interesting...

Only the WRX community will notice what Rory is playing. As long as he's carrying the swoosh bag that's all that Nike cares (that's enough exposure for them and what the 'uneducated' masses will notice).

As for the clubs, he'll get specially made clubs that resemble what he's playing now with the swoosh on them.......same with the wedges. I'm thinking he'll play a Titleist ball. I think most importantly for Nike is that Rory will move a lot more product and apparel than Tiger ever did. We live in different times and golf is getting good exposure on tv and across social media. Plus the kids and adults a like love Rory and will want to bag the same product that is winning him tournaments and accolades world wide.

Titleist 913 D2 10.5* Diamana S+
Bridgestone J40 4W 16* Project X 6.0
Bridgestone J40 3H 21* Project X 6.0
Mizuno MP 53 4-PW XP S300
Mizuno T4 52* and 58* S300
Odyssey ProType Black 2 ball

If Nike are offering him such a gross sum of money, we are in a global downturn btw, then I expect him to become a product, like a pair of trainers or a polo short. He will have to use 14 Nike clubs and that means their garbage putters. Do you know of anyone who actually uses a Method putter? I don't recall seeing a non Nike staffer with one in the bag...
Common sense would be a phased change like Tiger but not sure Nike will have the patience with Rors. Poor lad, they are going to dress him up like a Leprechaun and flog the Oirish thing to death.
I wonder if Nike will offload a few of their under performing current stable, such as Wie to balance the books?

[quote name='johnstitch' timestamp='1351648832' post='5870331']
If Nike are offering him such a gross sum of money, we are in a global downturn btw, then I expect him to become a product, like a pair of trainers or a polo short. He will have to use 14 Nike clubs and that means their garbage putters. Do you know of anyone who actually uses a Method putter? I don't recall seeing a non Nike staffer with one in the bag...
Common sense would be a phased change like Tiger but not sure Nike will have the patience with Rors. Poor lad, they are going to dress him up like a Leprechaun and flog the Oirish thing to death.
I wonder if Nike will offload a few of their under performing current stable, such as Wie to balance the books?
[/quote] I agree, if they make that large of a deal its 14 clubs. I hope he likes hearing that softball bat everytime he uses driver.

[/quote]

Lets see.............

D Love III was gaming a Method.
John Daly and George McNeill are using a Method now.

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

insl01_mcilroyswingv2-600x418.jpg

Will leaving Titleist hurt Rory McIlroy's game? His 5 biggest hurdles

By Zak Kozuchowski

GolfWRX Managing Editor

Golf fans learned two things about Rory McIlroy’s future today: he will no longer endorse Titleist or FootJoy products as of Dec. 31, 2012, and another OEM is going to pay him an outrageous amount of money to play its equipment.

It has been widely speculated that McIlroy has already entered into a deal with Nike Golf to the tune of 10 years, $250 million. Nike is neither confirming nor denying the rumor, meaning McIlroy’s deal with Nike is either the worst-kept secret in golf history or one of the biggest rumor-mill hoaxes of all time. But here’s what golf fans do know -- McIlroy will be forced to shelve at least a few pieces of Titleist equipment he used to win the 2012 PGA Championship at Kiawah Island by a record margin of eight shots.

Whatever company signs Rory McIlroy will do its best to accommodate his equipment preferences, but equipment changes, especially for a player of McIlroy’s caliber, can be as much about sound, feel and confidence as they are performance. That’s why six-time major champion Nick Faldo said on Tuesday’s “Morning Drive” on the Golf Channel that McIlroy’s decision to change equipment was “dangerous.”

"I’ve changed clubs and changed equipment, and every manufacturer will say, ‘We can copy your clubs; we can tweak the golf ball so it fits you,’” Faldo said. “But there’s feel and sound as well, and there’s confidence. You can’t put a real value on that. It’s priceless.”

Based on the equipment McIlroy is playing now (Click here to see what was in his bag at the 2012 PGA Championship), we’ve made a list of the five biggest hurdles McIlroy will face as he migrates from Titleist equipment.

No. 5 – A new driver head/shaft combination

Rors-shaft-264x300.jpg

Like snowflakes, no two golf shafts are exactly the same. Even shafts of the same model from the same manufacturer with the same listed specifications can have minuscule differences than top ball strikers like McIlroy can notice.

McIlroy switched to a new shaft, a Mitsubishi Diamana Prototype 70X, to go along with Titleist’s latest 913 D3 driver that he used to win the 2012 PGA Championship. But the move from his old driver with his old shaft were subtle tweaks to the look, feel and ball flight he was used to with his Titleist driver setup.

Going to a different driver will mean McIlroy will be playing something that looks and feels different. It will also likely perform different, which could mean a different shaft. If that new shaft doesn’t feel the same while McIlroy is unloading it at 120 mph, it will be problematic.

No. 4 – Working the ball with new fairway woods

Rorys-FW-300x250.jpg

McIlroy’s last tournament victory came at the BMW Championship, where he used Titleist’s new 913Fd fairway woods (a 13.5-degree and 18-degree model) to fend off some of golf’s best players: Lee Westwood, Phil Mickelson, Tiger Woods, Robert Garrigus, Dustin Johnson, Adam Scott, Vijay Singh and Ryan Moore, who all finished in the top 10 at Crooked Stick that week.

While McIlroy migrated to the 913Fd fairway woods quickly after their launch on tour, he didn’t have much success with Titleist’s previous model, the 910Fd fairway woods. He opted to stay with an older model, Titleist’s 906F2, saying he felt more confident and comfortable hitting a fade or draw on command with the older ones.

Because of McIlroy’s prodigious length, he frequently opts to hit 3 wood or 5 wood off the tee for more control or better position. This makes them vital clubs for him, especially in major championships where hitting fairways is at a premium. Changing fairway woods means changing that confidence level, at least for a little while. And at McIlroy’s level, a lack of confidence over even a single tee shot can be the difference between winning and losing.

No. 3 – Changing wedges

Rors-Vokey-300x252.jpg

The first clubs that Tiger Woods put in his bag during his gradual transition from Titleist to Nike were a set of Nike forged muscleback irons. Rickie Fowler made a similar transition in 2012, changing over from a set of Titleist musclebacks to Cobras, which he used to win his first PGA Tour event.

Woods and Fowler had success switching models of muscleback irons because they are easiest clubs for OEMs to replicate for tour players. It would seem to make sense that OEMs could do the same thing with wedges for its new staff players, but that’s not the case.

Unlike irons, wedges are used in a variety of different playing positions and players use different parts of the sole to play different shots. This places a premium on the shaping, size and width of the sole of a tour player’s wedge. For this reason, Tiger held out for years before trading in his Vokey wedges and Fowler is still using his Vokeys while under contract with Cobra-Puma.

McIlroy has been playing Vokey wedges his entire professional career. While new wedges from a different manufacturer might look the same and even feel the same, perfecting things such bounce angle, sole width, camber and leading edge shape can take a long time.

No. 2 – Using an insert putter

Method-putter-300x204.jpg

Putters are one of the most often changed pieces of equipment on tour. McIlroy has been no exception – he was a long-time user of a Scotty Cameron Newport Fastback Select prototype before changing to a Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport GSS prototype that he used to win the 2012 U.S. Open.

If McIlroy goes to Nike, he will be expected to play a Method putter, which employs grooves in the face that Nike engineers say get the ball rolling faster after contact. More roll is good, but it can be another thing that takes getting used to.

Woods, who has been using a Nike Method putter consistently since his return to competitive golf at the 2010 Masters, has never found the success on the greens with a grooved putter that he enjoyed while using a Scotty Cameron. Woods said his Method putter took some adjustment because it had a different feel off the face and “rolled farther."

Any company that signs McIlroy would be doing him a huge favor by giving him a grace period on putter use, as the putter will likely be the most difficult club in the bag for him to switch out.

No. 1 – Switching from the Titleist Pro V1X

2011_US_prov1x_core.jpeg 2011_US_prov1x_cover.jpeg 2011_US_prov1x_casing.jpeg

The golf ball is the only piece of equipment (other than shoes or gloves) that a player uses on every shot on the course. That makes the golf ball the most important part of an equipment switch for tour players, since it has to work with every one of their clubs.

Titleist leads on tour in golf ball usage. While its competitors have become very good at making golf balls, McIlroy can be assured that his next ball will not perform exactly like his old one. There are construction and material differences, all related to patents, which make it impossible.

McIlroy’s next ball will likely spin a little more or a little less, and perform differently in the wind than his Pro V1X. Even if the ball performs better, better is not always foolproof, because better means different.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some players are better suited to changing equipment than others. It is possible that McIlroy has already tested all of his future company’s new gear, and has worked with the company to create a set of equipment and a golf ball that is to his liking. If this is the case, the opportunity to make more money and the potential for more exposure are no-brainers for McIlroy. But the level of play that golf fans saw from McIlroy at the 2012 PGA Championship made it clear that it will be hard for Rory to find equipment that will make him a noticeably better golfer. He will, however, become noticeable richer and noticeable more famous.

It will be interesting to see how much of a grace period McIlroy is given when it comes to changing over to his new equipment. Will he be treated like Tiger Woods was before the scandal, whose contract stated that he could play any other manufacturer's equipment if he thought it was better, or will big money from a company like Nike mean an immediate 14-club deal including a change to one of their golf balls?

Golf fans should remember that golfers of Rory's caliber would have success with just about any set of equipment that was given to them. But at the highest level, it's the small things that make a difference, and that's exactly what McIlroy's new equipment deal will do -- change some small things.

this is a typo is it not,he won the 2012 PGA and the 2011 US Open

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* w/Ventus Black 6X

BRNR Mini 13.5* w/Tensei Pro Orange 80TX
TSr3 18* w/Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

Apex CB 24’ 4-PW w/DG TI 120 X100

W/S Forged 50* w/DG S400

Mg4 56*, 60* w/DG S400

Tour Spider V DB 
TP5X 24'

I just dont see him changing putteres for a long time.

PXG 0811X 9*: Graphite Design AD BB 6X
PXG 0341 15*: Graphite Design AD BB 7X
Callaway GBB 18*: Graphite Design AD DI 9X
Tour issue 913HD 20* Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW: KBS Tour 120 S
Taylormade Tour Preferred 52* and Tour issue 56*/ 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1

My guess is that Rory will not change his putter and ball in 2013. Changing clubs is difficult enough and adding a new ball and putter would bring too many variables to deal with. If he signs contract for 10 years, there is no rush for him and Nike to make a complete transition immediately. I think winning Rory is more important for Nike than Rory being Nike from head to toe, at least in the first year of his contract. I think once he become compfortable with his Nike clubs, he will switch to a Nike ball or putter.

[quote name='QuickFeet' timestamp='1351650173' post='5870413']
[/quote]

Lets see.............

D Love III was gaming a Method.
John Daly and George McNeill are using a Method now.
[/quote]
I believe JD has a putter shoe deal

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

I believe it was JFK that said: "those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it". There are many instances where top money winners and major winners changed their clubs and the following year fell off the face of the earth - wayne levy, curtis strange, paul azinger. Even Tiger isn't the same as when he was playing the Titleist stuff. And he's definitely not putting better since he stopped using his Cameron.

[quote name='Miura5002' timestamp='1351659139' post='5870977']
Even Tiger isn't the same as when he was playing the Titleist stuff.
[/quote]

You're right, he's older, gone through injuries, changed his swing and swing coach, and had his entire personal life exposed to the world. But, I'm sure the equipment change was what led to his post-Titleist performance.

[indent=1]I think it will hurt his game. If you look at players in the past that have made the switch in equipment they have never really played that well. McDowell went to Srixon and has never played as well as he did with Callaway. Ernie has never been the same since the switch from Titleist. Rickie Fowler going to Cobra has not done him any favours.[/indent]

[indent=1]I think this will be the worst move Rory will ever make. Nike is no way near in the same league as Titleist when it comes to equipment.[/indent]

Ping G425 Max Driver 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green Small Batch 6.5 60g

Ping G400 3 Wood 14.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75g 6.5
Ping G425 Hybrid 19* Project X Even Flow Blue 85g 6.0
Ping i210 4-PW DG 120 X100

Cleveland RTX ZipCore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue S400  
Ping Heppler Fetch 33" Superstroke Tour 2.0
Titleist Pro V1x 

Just do it Rory.

The pros play through wind and rain and adjust from hole to hole every time they play, so I would think they can adjust and adapt to new equipment in the same manner even if it off by just a little bit from his original equipment. Maybe he will discover that the new equipment enhances his game and helps him play better, you never know until you try.

"You can't discover new oceans unless you have the courage to leave the shore."

It will take time to adjust to new equipment, but unlike us, these pros have the resources, trackman, the range time to go out and experiment and test the gear over and over and dial in the numbers and ensure they know what club has what tendencies and adapt.

The confidence in the equipment is the intangible, but it's controlled mentally, if these pros lacked confidence I doubt they would have made it to this level in their careers. These pros that have the ability to focus on a 10' putt for a victory on sunday and drain it blocking out all interferances. I expect Rory to be able to manage with what ever gear he changes to, and will probably be the lucrative Nike rumored deal and good for him, he has earned it if it is.

[quote name='abass1' timestamp='1351637060' post='5869361']
the only thing I see making a difference is the putter. Nikes putters are not really used by anyone on tour that is not a nike player. tiger has never been the same with out his and why he switched to nike is still a mystery with the timing of the switch and the SCANDAL. (Some may say nike used the putter switch as a bargaining tool). Rory changing putter from a scotty to a nike is going to take some time to get used to. especially since nike does not custom make putter heads like scotty does as far as size look etc. yes Rory's putter will be a one of a kind custom putter, but it will probably be just as tigers and look like one of the current models they sell. The putters he played with scotty were often tour only designs that were built just for him. Part of the whole Nike advertising and sporship deal is they want the public to buy what their stars wear, play, use, etc. While I can't blame Rory for this move based on the numbers that are being thrown around and the allure of being one of two guys (Tiger being the other) that are the face of the nike golf brand, I think this could really slow his progress down. We all know how important the putter is and especially in majors and under pressure. I think this move could affect him more than we think and it could all be due to the putter. For his sake and the sake of the game, I hope I am wrong. The game needs a true rival to the best player ever, Tiger, and I hope this doesnt slow Rorys pace to being the next best in the world and Tigers Rival and eventual replacement. But hey, at least Nike has both of them under contract.
[/quote]

Tigers putting sucked (by his standards) for a year before he switched to the Nike.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

[quote name='KrazyTrain18' timestamp='1351645558' post='5870047']
Sad to see Rory go from Titleist, but good luck to him finding a great new deal. All of these threads/replies are all specualtion, we will have to wait and see how he merges into the new brand.
[/quote]

+1

Taylormade Sim 2 Graphite design AD GP 6
Titleist TSI3 GD AD DI 7
Titleist 716 CB 3-9 Dynamic gold Tour issue S400
Titleist SM7 Vokey 46.50.54.60 DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron T22 fastback Murdered out

IG _Flagrant

[quote name='matty1802' timestamp='1351687311' post='5871559']
[indent=1]I think it will hurt his game. If you look at players in the past that have made the switch in equipment they have never really played that well. McDowell went to Srixon and has never played as well as he did with Callaway. Ernie has never been the same since the switch from Titleist. Rickie Fowler going to Cobra has not done him any favours.[/indent]

[indent=1]I think this will be the worst move Rory will ever make. Nike is no way near in the same league as Titleist when it comes to equipment.[/indent]
[/quote]

Ernie has never been the same since he left TM for Titleist. At the pro level I doubt the quality of the equipment is any better or worse from one brand to another.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

That last post lost any relevance when you put Duval and McIlroy on the same planet. Comparing apples to chickens.

Think Tin Cup here, boys. If Rors went out with a shovel, a baseball bat, and a hoe(not the Tiger Woods signature series model!!), he would compete a couple times a year. There's nobody as talented as he is. Tiger was and is still a heck of a gofler, but Rory is the new standard bearer. Nike will get it right and he will keep winning.

I think people fail to realize, Stewart Cink, Lucas Glover, Paul Casey, Trevor Immelman were all really solid golfers and had success with Nike gear, aside from Tiger's success albeit with some mix and match stuff. Carl Peterson, Johnny Vegas, Jamie Lovemark, Charl Schwartzel, Francesco Molinari, Suzanne Pettersen (Gasp...I mentioned a female?! Who golfs?!?!...yea and wins, and makes putts with a METHOD).

Now obviously Cink, Glover, Immelman and Casey have all fallen a bit, and Immelman has switched equipment, but they had good success with Nike Golf, had injuries which derailed them. Anthony Kim too before an injury and some partying did him in. (not sure if Cink was injured or just lucked into his major victory, but he was around the top of the leaderboard for quite a while). Can I tell you with absolute certainty that these athletes I've named all play 14 Nike clubs? Nope. I don't get a hard-on with every WITB posted on here, but I do see quite a bit of Nike gear in the winner's circle around the world. It's not as if he's signed with a small no-name company with limited resources. We're talking about one of the major players in the golf equipment world.

Just my 2 cents. All I got, now I'm broke. Perhaps Rors could lend me a couple bucks after signin this megadeal.

I'm off to put on my flame-retardant suit, for all the heat I'm gonna take for a Stewart Cink reference. Bring it on, it's a bit chilly here this morning anyways.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide